"We Want to Be as Cool as VelociGranny" and "I Now Have a Fear of Housekeeping"

I may have shared this on one of your other TRs. My stepdad's brother and his wife were murdered. Their
3 children also received life threatening injuries, with one child being permanently disabled due to her injuries.
It really never leaves you...... She was a beautiful young lady!

Glad your time back at Portofino has started out excellent! You and your son know how to have fun, love it!

And I'm geeking out over his Cobra Kai shirt!! I love the Netflix series!! Amazing how they got so many of the original cast members....RIP Mr. Miyagi....

Lovely picture of Sarah there Alice. I know you still feel that loss, especially the circumstances. Sarah was in my mind recently as this Tuesday will be 5 years since my friend passed away. One minute I think it`s been so long, then I feel it`s only been 5 minutes. Keeping close to her family helps though.

BUt, what a mix bag on the trip so far.

Yes, lack of concern is worrying......they seemed to have no empathy whatsoever....male or female teen, that shouldn`t have happened, completely wrong, but the lack of anything more than a flat cursory apology is not good service.

Glad you enjoyed the Spa....it`s been years since I went, and I mean years!! Sounds like you really needed that massage......love the pictures and agree about the folk in the ponchos hiding from water........a group of us had a lot of fun booing a group of folks years ago who came in the line almost shrink wrapped in plastic......it was 95F out......you`re supposed to get wet on water rides.......

Love the pictures too......looks amazing so empty!
Oh, Carole -- I do remember about your friend too and five years is still such a short time ago. Wednesday I was playing tennis outside at a club I haven't been to in many years. During the match, I heard a train... realized those were the tracks where Sarah's body was found over 31 years ago and teared up. It still hits you at odd times. So glad you are close to her family. <3 I am with some of Sarah's and it's so helpful.

I read your comment to Davy today. He really appreciates the empathy from you guys at least!

Yes, even though have had some downs for sure, there were tons and tons of ups as well.

I may have shared this on one of your other TRs. My stepdad's brother and his wife were murdered. Their
3 children also received life threatening injuries, with one child being permanently disabled due to her injuries.
It really never leaves you...... She was a beautiful young lady!

Glad your time back at Portofino has started out excellent! You and your son know how to have fun, love it!

And I'm geeking out over his Cobra Kai shirt!! I love the Netflix series!! Amazing how they got so many of the original cast members....RIP Mr. Miyagi....

OH man, what a sad story. :( Those poor kids.

Davy LOVES Cobra Kai (so do I). So excited for new season! In 2020, we were supposed to meet the cast at a comicon. Sigh.... 2020 really screwed everything up, didn't it?

June 9, 9th day

I woke up DETERMINED to get some Voo Doo Doughnuts. I had them in Portland years ago and LOVED them. I know some think they're overrated. To that I say, "SHUT UP AND LET ME EAT MY LARD!" LOL.

I mobile ordered them for pickup... .but, between the jam to get a boat to City Walk and then the mob of people ordering... took an hour roundtrip. I think I picked the WRONG time of day to do this. But, was happy to eat my two. Davy doesn't like doughnuts because he's WRONG. So, I had these babies to myself:

voodoo 3.jpg

voodoo2.jpg

voodoo1.jpg

Then, we settled in and watched the first episode of Loki. :)

I then watched some more of the French Open... and before we knew it, it was lunch.

Went to Hard Rock. It was OK foodwise but I do love the decor.

hard rock 1.jpg

hard rock 2.jpg

hard rock 3.jpg

We once again decide it was water ride time!!!! Pretty much same as yesterday. Dudley broke down for a bit. We got soaked. We laughed at folks who didn't want to get wet... and then... there was a boy throwing a FIT in line. He was about 10 but acting about 3. the adults with him kept trying to talk to us, "it's not child abuse really...." "he just likes attention from crying." I was ignoring them... but, Davy tried to calm the boy down. He really did want attention because as soon as Davy quit talking, he'd cry again to get him to talk to him again. Davy finally just gave up. I thought it was the boys parents in line but didn't really look at them. Davy said he didn't think so... maybe older cousins or something. Who knows? But, the line never seemed so long! The kid loved it after he rode of course. He was all smiles. Davy said, "so, you liked it after all." The kid said he did NOT. wow. lol

I made reservations for Mama Della's. We had eaten there before and I was a little disappointed. Thought I'd give it another chance. We get there... no reservations and a LONG wait. Turns out, I made the reservations for NEXT WEEK. What the heck? LOL. So, Sal's again! We probably liked it better than we would have Mama Della's.

Then, we headed back to Universal. I wanted another Gringotts ride. We stopped to get candy. Davy got Peppermint Toads. OMG. I loved them! My new favorite!

Davy rode the Hulk one last time as well. We then got back to the hotel... and, Davy wanted to try the pool. I was so tired but really wanted to too! I even did the slide (so fun!).

pbh pool.jpg

I started getting REALLY SLEEPY I headed up. Davy closed down the pool -- and then couldn't figure out how to get out. LOL. Someone had to help him get out of the gate. He thought it was pretty funny though. Had another great sleep....

Tomorrow.... we have a lovely morning, I do something I have never done at Universal and hadn't done in 18 months, then sadly leave and I make a HUGE mistake.

June 10, Day 10

We woke up at some point (no memory of when) and packed. Took our luggage down to the bell desk and went to breakfast at Trattoria del Porto Had a very good meal. After, it was so pleasant in the shade outside this early (this day was supposed to be the hottest since we had been here but not yet), we decided to sit outside and hang out for a bit. I knew the Velocicoaster was to open officially this day (and had been down all day yesterday in anticipation) and the parks would be really crowded and hot.....

PBH last morning.jpg

Davy last morning.jpg

For some reason, I can't get his last pic upright. LOL.

Anyway, we got some Peppermint Toads and relaxed. Then, Davy went on a run and I sat (well, maybe bought more Peppermint Toads at the hotel shop then sat). After, we decided to do something we had never done in Orlando -- GO SEE A MOVIE IN A THEATER! We also hadn't been in a theater since 2019 I think. We saw Cruella and LOVED IT. LOVED being in the theater too. It was nice to be in the air conditioning. It was a relaxing way to end the trip.

Tony Hind's driver called. Asked when we wanted him there. We told him.... wanted to give us PLENTY of time since we no longer have TSA pre-check. Sooooooo... we got back to the hotel and waited... he texted he was there but he wasn't... OOPS. Had us down at Royal Pacific (where we usually stay). Anyway, no biggie. We all make mistakes... and, boy, did I later.... He got to us very fast and off we went.

So, we get to the airport. Get our bags checked... and head off to our gate 24. We had a little more carryon weight with the lightsaber and snacks and books....get through security without TOO much wait. Get on the bad monorail. Get off... and, I double check the gate... and.... with my motion sickness patch causing my eyesight to be blury... it was gate 124, not 24! We were in the completely wrong area. I thought Davy was going to stick my lightsaber where the sun don't shine! We were then both tired and grouchy. We got back on the train, went back through TSA (since they checked our tickets the first time, how did they let us through the wrong area?). We were fine and made it in time. But, Davy was NOT happy. He finally realized he was being a little too hard on me and apologized. I was really mad at myself too, but we were where we needed to be.

Finally boarded the plane and all was right. Jason picked us up at the Kansas City airport and we were so happy to see him!!!!

I was pretty sad our vacation was over. We had some glitches, but overall, we had a great time and had so much fun. We're going back to Universal after Christmas. Davy is kind of done with Disney now. I'm hoping Star Wars will pull him back in one day.

We discovered Portofino is likely our favorite. We realized we can have some great memories even when we're not just running around the parks. And, we learned we will always ask to skip housekeeping from now on (well, I won't if it's an adult trip because I am a SLOB without it!).

Hope you enjoyed the read. Will write again after our late December trip!

It's really upsetting that they didn't take the housekeeping incident a lot more seriously. I'm sorry. And then to not make sure that housekeeping didn't come back....that's not acceptable.

Thank you for sharing your trip. It brings back many memories that we'll be experiencing again soon. Now I will be dreaming of my favorite weird donut, the Grape Ape.

We are looking forward to changing into our swimsuits and fast dry clothes for the water rides. We are always entertained by the people who wear jeans and have no idea what they're getting into, the people in the dryers, and the family in heavy coats in winter who asked us if you get wet on the Popeye ride. 😂 My younger daughter is nicer than me and pointed out that many people are just there for the day and can't run to the hotel and change.

It's really upsetting that they didn't take the housekeeping incident a lot more seriously. I'm sorry. And then to not make sure that housekeeping didn't come back....that's not acceptable.

Thank you for sharing your trip. It brings back many memories that we'll be experiencing again soon. Now I will be dreaming of my favorite weird donut, the Grape Ape.

We are looking forward to changing into our swimsuits and fast dry clothes for the water rides. We are always entertained by the people who wear jeans and have no idea what they're getting into, the people in the dryers, and the family in heavy coats in winter who asked us if you get wet on the Popeye ride. 😂 My younger daughter is nicer than me and pointed out that many people are just there for the day and can't run to the hotel and change.

Thanks for reading!

That grape ape is great, but boy, did my mouth pucker at every bite. It's so unusual. Love it!

Your younger daughter is nice. :) We too don't always stay at hotels onsite when we're at various parks with water rides. In fact, in December we will be staying at the Double Tree as I had points for a free room Anyway, our plan then is to ride the water rides as we're leaving for a break or for the day. Now, that does make for a bit of a chilly walk or ride home. I have never done an uber or a lyft wet.... that might cause problems! LOL. We HAVE ridden water rides at Silver Dollar City at Christmas at 40 degrees and left. We were cold but happy and ZIPPED back to our car and drove to the hotel as fast as possible.

Hope you have a great trip when you go back!

Super TR!!!!! And it's always nice to have another trip on the horizon....takes the sting out of leaving a little bit.

Glad to hear Cruella was good, thinking of seeing it...

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing!
I'll need to try and convince my youngest to try the Grape Ape in October. He's still talking about the Tang one almost a year later like it was a small slice of heaven. Not my thing, but to each their own! Any donut is an acceptable donut, though, and I appreciate an excuse to get their maple bacon, so ...
We also LOVED Cruella. DW, not an Emma Stone fan, was more enthralled than DS13 or myself. I thought the soundtrack was great, and the story and imagery was pretty edgy to carry the Disney Studio brand. I was also glad we did the theater experience and not D+ Premium, though we tossed around that idea for this one.

We're currently booked to return to RPR in a water view standard 2 queen, but Portofino is in the budget. Loved the easy walk from RPR, and DW and I enjoyed Jake's at night. Now that Orchid Lounge is open again, I know she'd be happy with their Sake menu, too. Would you suggest trying Portofino or sticking with Royal Pacific?

And, lastly, that housekeeping nightmare. Umm, no. I would have lost my mind if it was me, a capable at defending myself 40 year old man. An adolescent or my (even more capable than myself) wife? I probably wouldn't have left that lobby until I'd spoken to someone with real weight behind their title. Mistakes happen, and I get that. Maybe the Do Not Disturb tag slipped off and through the door. Or fell off and was inadvertently kicked in to the room or pulled in with the cart. So I'm not even suggesting that the hard working housekeeper be terminated. But some token of apology beyond stale and blasé canned phrases was in order for your son.

I really enjoyed your TR. Last time at Disney something similar happened to me but thankfully the door was latched to avoid being walked in on! Interrupted my mid day nap though and I was not a happy camper. Super annoying,

Thanks for sharing!
I'll need to try and convince my youngest to try the Grape Ape in October. He's still talking about the Tang one almost a year later like it was a small slice of heaven. Not my thing, but to each their own! Any donut is an acceptable donut, though, and I appreciate an excuse to get their maple bacon, so ...
We also LOVED Cruella. DW, not an Emma Stone fan, was more enthralled than DS13 or myself. I thought the soundtrack was great, and the story and imagery was pretty edgy to carry the Disney Studio brand. I was also glad we did the theater experience and not D+ Premium, though we tossed around that idea for this one.

We're currently booked to return to RPR in a water view standard 2 queen, but Portofino is in the budget. Loved the easy walk from RPR, and DW and I enjoyed Jake's at night. Now that Orchid Lounge is open again, I know she'd be happy with their Sake menu, too. Would you suggest trying Portofino or sticking with Royal Pacific?

And, lastly, that housekeeping nightmare. Umm, no. I would have lost my mind if it was me, a capable at defending myself 40 year old man. An adolescent or my (even more capable than myself) wife? I probably wouldn't have left that lobby until I'd spoken to someone with real weight behind their title. Mistakes happen, and I get that. Maybe the Do Not Disturb tag slipped off and through the door. Or fell off and was inadvertently kicked in to the room or pulled in with the cart. So I'm not even suggesting that the hard working housekeeper be terminated. But some token of apology beyond stale and blasé canned phrases was in order for your son.

Yes, I'm happy we saw Cruella in the movie theater too. I seriously can't believe I was in Orlando with all there is to do and went to a movie. I would have so made fun of myself in years past, but it was totally a blast.

So, used to, we always said go to whatever is cheapest between the three premium hotels at Universal. I do love the shorter walk but it's not THAT much shorter that going on to Portofino. Even my son said he'd like to go back to Portofino when he usually wouldn't care. I have to say the awesome beach pool, Sal's, and the spa would make me like Portofino's better... (even though I COULD enjoy those things even if I stayed at Royal Pacific). I would say if it was about $100 difference, I would pick Portofino. But, you really can't go wrong with either.

I TOTALLY agree with the everything you said about the housekeeping. It was likely it was all an accident -- but it seemed so weird, you'd think I'd at least have gotten a call. I should have demanded to speak to someone in person honestly but I knew my kid was a little embarrassed (he was with me the second time). So, I was good talking to someone on the phone but... nope... still hoping I'll hear something back from my email. I'll give it a little more time then call. But, I do love everything you said and appreciate it.

I really enjoyed your TR. Last time at Disney something similar happened to me but thankfully the door was latched to avoid being walked in on! Interrupted my mid day nap though and I was not a happy camper. Super annoying,
Yeah -- if I hadn't been coming back to the room, it would have been latched as we do that when we're both there. Just weird timing... it seemed like she just kept trying to come back when he was alone. I'm sure that is coincidence, but I sure would have felt better if they at least would have asked about it. SOMETHING.

One of my friends who was there at the same time said housekeeping came in while one of them was napping -- and sounds like they emptied the trash while she was still in bed. Not sure if they knocked or not. Just seems odd how concerned they are. Wondered if they've had mice or something?

I tend to go to the parks earlier than my daughter, who likes to sleep in on vacation and takes her time getting ready. She usually puts the latch on after I leave, as we've had incidents of housekeeping trying to come in and clean, even with the "Do Not Disturb" thingie on the doorknob. This was pre-Covid.

I think the housekeepers are under a lot of pressure from their immediate supervisors to get their assigned rooms cleaned quickly and within a certain time frame. At Universal, I would always ask the front desk to note on arrival that we wanted a later housekeeping visit, but it never seemed to work out.

Almost every single day, I would be in the parks and my daughter would text me that housekeeping had been knocking on the door to clean. Shortly after that, I would get a text (probably from a housekeeping supervisor) saying basically, "We tried to come clean your room, but couldn't. Please let us know if there is a convenient time for us to return." Since I had no idea when my daughter was leaving, I couldn't definitely say, so I usually replied "mid afternoon" or "as late as possible" which I'm sure they loved to hear (not). But it's my vacation and I have the right to stay in my room as long as I want. Obviously, a couple of times, we have returned to the room in the evening and housekeeping never made it in. I'm cool with that, I can always call for K cups and Kleenex if need be.

On solo trips, my daughter tells the front desk that she doesn't want housekeeping in at all. She leaves her trash outside her door and calls for any supplies she needs. Sort of the same way it was with Covid protocols. We may decide to do this on future trips as we keep our hotel room pretty organized and I honestly don't mind reusing towels and facecloths for a few days. It may be worth it for my kid's peace of mind.

I tend to go to the parks earlier than my daughter, who likes to sleep in on vacation and takes her time getting ready. She usually puts the latch on after I leave, as we've had incidents of housekeeping trying to come in and clean, even with the "Do Not Disturb" thingie on the doorknob. This was pre-Covid.

I think the housekeepers are under a lot of pressure from their immediate supervisors to get their assigned rooms cleaned quickly and within a certain time frame. At Universal, I would always ask the front desk to note on arrival that we wanted a later housekeeping visit, but it never seemed to work out.

Almost every single day, I would be in the parks and my daughter would text me that housekeeping had been knocking on the door to clean. Shortly after that, I would get a text (probably from a housekeeping supervisor) saying basically, "We tried to come clean your room, but couldn't. Please let us know if there is a convenient time for us to return." Since I had no idea when my daughter was leaving, I couldn't definitely say, so I usually replied "mid afternoon" or "as late as possible" which I'm sure they loved to hear (not). But it's my vacation and I have the right to stay in my room as long as I want. Obviously, a couple of times, we have returned to the room in the evening and housekeeping never made it in. I'm cool with that, I can always call for K cups and Kleenex if need be.

On solo trips, my daughter tells the front desk that she doesn't want housekeeping in at all. She leaves her trash outside her door and calls for any supplies she needs. Sort of the same way it was with Covid protocols. We may decide to do this on future trips as we keep our hotel room pretty organized and I honestly don't mind reusing towels and facecloths for a few days. It may be worth it for my kid's peace of mind.

I have to be honest, I had no idea they'd even come for trash. They didn't at Universal. Unfortunately, he couldn't latch the door as I was coming back shortly when she walked in. But, good to know they ignore the "do not disturb" for future visits. I'll just have him latch and I'll knock when I come back.

I got this email today:

Maria Kendricks (Disney Parks)
Jul 1, 2021, 5:10 PM EDT
Dear Alice,

Thanks for your recent correspondence, which has been forwarded to another area within our company for further review. Based on the nature of your message, the response time may vary. However, please be assured we will follow-up with you once our research is complete.

Should you have any questions, you may contact me at 407-828-1403.

Kind regards,

Maria Kendricks‍
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

Alice I always love your TR`s!

This one, despite the glitches was a lot of fun to read. I enjoyed the pictures, and every one of them constantly amazes me how grown up Davy is now.......he is an absolute credit to you.

Yes, will look for the next one...thank you for taking the time to write this one up...... :wave2:

I have to be honest, I had no idea they'd even come for trash. They didn't at Universal. Unfortunately, he couldn't latch the door as I was coming back shortly when she walked in. But, good to know they ignore the "do not disturb" for future visits. I'll just have him latch and I'll knock when I come back.
I've read quite a few times that Disney ignores the signs even when there wasn't actual housekeeping under the guise of room checks (post vegas shooting checks). I've never had them walk in while we were in the room but our last trip at Riviera they knocked on the door at 9 on our checkout day. I was working on getting us packed up and told them it would be about 45 mins. They knocked again 2 mins later. Still not ready!! Then they were just standing in the hall waiting on us when we left. It's aggravating to feel so rushed when I'm already stressed and trying to hurry. I will say on the other hand, I've quite often had the dnd sign fall off the door handle when I open the door, so maybe that part was an accident. Sorry he had to deal with that tho. I can imagine how that would upset a kid.

he kid loved it after he rode of course. He was all smiles. Davy said, "so, you liked it after all." The kid said he did NOT. wow. lol
This sounds SOOOO much like my just turned 10 yr old lol. Not the whole crying throwing a fit part, or the me ignoring all of it part per se. But when he's over tired he can def be a jerk. Id have put my foot down (or somewhere else) if he'd have been throwing the kind of fit that was really disturbing others but I can def see him scowling and being mad about not wanting to ride something and then saying he didn't like it even tho I know dang well that he did. We have def had some moments where I questioned my ability to parent (and my decision to become one) at Disney lol. Sometimes even the Happiest Place on Earth can bring out the worst in us.

One day I hope to be able to take trips like this with my kids. Just me and one of them at a time. It sounds like so much fun! They are only 7 & 10 tho so I think I have a few years to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter