"We Want to Be as Cool as VelociGranny" and "I Now Have a Fear of Housekeeping"

angryduck71

DIS Veteran
DAY 1

Hi there! If you saw my pre-trip report, you know my 14 year old son, Davy, and I took a trip postponed from 2020. We visited Universal and Disney from June 1-10. Because Davy's school changed the date of its release, our trip dates changed from June 4-12 to June 1-10 and so did our hotel stays. We had booked Boardwalk Villas through DVC points and really couldn't change that date... and, we lucked out and got Animal Kingdom lodge at a terrific rate for a savannah view... so, our trip looked like this:

June 1-3 at Portofino Bay (Bay view)
June 3-4 at AK Villas
June 4-7 at Boardwalk Villas
June 7-10 back at Portofino Bay (pool view)

It was our first stay at all these resorts. I will tell you now, Portofino was our favorite. AK was fun with the animals. Boardwalk was a fantastic location but I promised Davy we will never stay there again (hint: it has something to do with the title of this report).

So, with that, here we go!!!!

Tuesday, June 1: Davy had gone to Colorado with his dad over Memorial Day Weekend. I was worried he'd be tired heading into our long trip, but he was full of energy. He helped me finish packing, we got lunch from his favorite restaurant, and then we caught an uber to the airport. When I had called Southwest about changing flights, they mentioned I had TSA precheck. My
previous employer had given me that, but I should not have it now. When I got to the airport in Kansas City, I checked, and I indeed did not have it any longer. No problem in Kansas City as our security is usually pretty fast, but I knew it could be an issue in Orland coming back (and, boy... was it....).

At the airport, I was amused by this sign... as my boyfriend's last name is Beers. I messaged him that this sign made me miss him already. Tee hee.
13FE9934-B8EF-44F3-B9C8-0B00C44BF13A.jpeg

Our direct flight was uneventful and we landed around 7 pm Orlando time. One of Tony Hinds' drivers picked us up (as always). We got to the beautiful Portofino Bay. As I mentioned, we had never stayed here before. For our first couple of nights, we were on the wing on the opposite side of the dock (I am not remembering if that is the west or east wing). We had a bay view and it was lovely. We dropped our stuff off and tried to rush to the parks to get our Annual Passes reprinted as we had upgraded to Premier. We thought we MIGHT get a chance to ride one ride before the parks closed too. We took the boat to the park as there was one right at the dock when we left.

After we got our APs printed, there was not time to get into the parks. Oh well, we were still excited to be here!!!! We went back to Portofino where the beds were incredibly comfortable! Tomorrow -- we get A LOT done on our first day!!!

861B0A5C-2194-4ACA-813F-C172910D4EBD.jpeg

Last edited:
LOVE the title!!!

And a big woohooo for the start of your report ::yes::

Thanks Carole! Just wait until you hear what the title quotes mean! LOL. I found myself quite sad yesterday as it set in I am no longer on vacation. Writing this helps! So glad you're following along!!!! Wish we could have met as originally planned in 2020! <3

Yay! and enjoy the security at MCI while you can, cause you know it's going to be a whole new ballgame when they open the new building!

DAY 2

We had decided to get up fairly early and head to IOA first. Hagrid's was a priority. I think we got there at 7:30 for a 9 am open. We were just about 10 or 15 back from the front... and... I couldn't find Davy's AP in our lanyards. AAACK. We thought it must be in the room. So, I RAN back to the boats and luckily one was there. I ran into the room... and... nothing. I then look in my wallet, and yup, there it was (I had my wallet in my backpack WITH ME at the park --so the trip was not worth it). So, I RAN back to the boat and was lucky again that one was there for me to jump on. Meanwhile, another turnstile had started a line and Davy jumped to it. He was about third back. He said maybe I was meant to leave so he could really pay attention to the lines and get so close. When I got back, it was REALLY CROWDED. There were barriers up between where there are ticket booths and the turnstiles. I had to SQUEEZE through one of those to get to Davy, but not really a problem.

The gates opened at 8:30. We walked really fast to the ride. It was walk-on at that point. LOVED the ride. There is a bit of a "surprise
Yay! and enjoy the security at MCI while you can, cause you know it's going to be a whole new ballgame when they open the new building!

Truth!

Thanks Carole! Just wait until you hear what the title quotes mean! LOL. I found myself quite sad yesterday as it set in I am no longer on vacation. Writing this helps! So glad you're following along!!!! Wish we could have met as originally planned in 2020! <3

Oh I know, we had some lovely plans for that trip......well, one day!!

DAY 2

We had decided to get up fairly early and head to IOA first. Hagrid's was a priority. I think we got there at 7:30 for a 9 am open. We were just about 10 or 15 back from the front... and... I couldn't find Davy's AP in our lanyards. AAACK. We thought it must be in the room. So, I RAN back to the boats and luckily one was there. I ran into the room... and... nothing. I then look in my wallet, and yup, there it was (I had my wallet in my backpack WITH ME at the park --so the trip was not worth it). So, I RAN back to the boat and was lucky again that one was there for me to jump on. Meanwhile, another turnstile had started a line and Davy jumped to it. He was about third back. He said maybe I was meant to leave so he could really pay attention to the lines and get so close. When I got back, it was REALLY CROWDED. There were barriers up between where there are ticket booths and the turnstiles. I had to SQUEEZE through one of those to get to Davy, but not really a problem.

The gates opened at 8:30. We walked really fast to the ride. It was walk-on at that point. LOVED the ride. There is a bit of a "surprise

Truth!

Thank goodness you`re fit as a fiddle Alice!! All that running so early isn`t good for you lol......glad you hadn`t lost it though and you had it.

Yep, the surprise is a good un!!

DAY 2

Wednesday, June 2. We had decided to get up fairly early and head to IOA first. We woke up to this beautiful view:
PBR june 1 view.jpeg

We took the boat again this morning.

Davy PBR June 1.jpeg

Hagrid's was a priority. I think we got there at 7:30 for a 9 am open. We were just about 10 or 15 back from the front... and... I couldn't find Davy's AP in our lanyards. AAACK. We thought it must be in the room. So, I RAN back to the boats and luckily one was there. I ran into the room... and... nothing. I then look in my wallet, and yup, there it was (I had my wallet in my backpack WITH ME at the park --so the trip was not worth it). So, I RAN back to the boat and was lucky again that one was there for me to jump on. Meanwhile, another turnstile had started a line and Davy jumped to it. He was about third back. He said maybe I was meant to leave so he could really pay attention to the lines and get so close. When I got back, it was REALLY CROWDED. There were barriers up between where there are ticket booths and the turnstiles. I had to SQUEEZE through one of those to get to Davy, but not really a problem.

The gates opened at 8:30. We walked really fast to the ride. It was walk-on at that point. LOVED the ride. There is a bit of a "surprise" in the middle I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't ridden but Davy and I both yelled at the same time, "I did NOT see that coming!" LOL. I really did love the ride. It was very much worth the wait. We were off at 8:57.

hogwarts june 2.jpeg

We checked on Forbidden Journey but it was down. Velocicoaster was not open. We decided to try for breakfast at Three Broomsticks as we had not yet eaten. It was reservation only. Drat. So, we headed to the Jurassic River Adventure. Always a favorite! We had express passes with our room at PBR -- the best thing about staying at one of the top three resorts!

We then decided to do Kong. We had done it only one other time after it first opened. Davy LOVES all of the King Kong movies and was excited when it opened... and then HATED the ride. I was surprised when he wanted to try it again. I actually kind of liked the ride so I was happy to go on it again. He did note that the outside design of the ride is amazing. I agree. He liked it a bit better this second time.

We went back to Forbidden Journey and quickly made it through that line now that it was back in working order. I was thankful again for my motion sickness patch as I can ride this no problem now. We were getting really hungry by this point, so decided to head over to the Universal side to try eating at Leaky Cauldron.

We got there at 10:45 and there was already a long line. I watched some of the French Open on my phone and we played a game in line as well (had to name a category -- say "bird," then say something specific, "Robin," then name another category that could belong to ("character in How I Met Your Mother"). this was the longest line we encountered so far.

I captain a tennis team that does really well and I'm so proud of my ladies. Before I left, I told everyone they could text me if there were issues but I also left an acting captain in charge. Well, while in line, one of my players called. I texted I could not take a call then as I was in line and could not hear. She was a bit injured and wanted to switch from singles to doubles. I messaged the acting captain and made the change. I chuckled that it our first full day and already they had forgotten I would likely not take calls.

We were finally seated at 11:20. We each had a child's fish and chips and a hot butterbeer. Davy had not tried it before but knew I raved about them. He liked it but thought it was a bit too sweet. I gulped mine down. I'm sad to say this was the only one I had. It was just too hot and I never had a chance to do it again. On our Christmas trip, this will be a big priority!

Smoulder:

Leaky Cauldren June 2.jpeg

Next up was one of my favorites -- Gingotts! Right now, no pre-show and no elevator ride. But, still fun! We did the express line again with a bit of a wait, but not bad at all. Maybe 15 minutes.

gringotts june 2.jpeg

We zipped through Knockturn Alley. Now, Davy brought his wand TO Orlando but never used it in the parks. He has spent HOURS in this alley doing wand tricks. I saw a couple of shirts I wanted in the shop, but, unfortunately, did not take the time to get them then figuring we'd be back. We never were. Christmas!

We then knocked off MIB, the Simpsons (again, thank you motion sickness patch!), and ET. By now, it was 2 pm. We wanted to do water rides. So, as we always do, we headed back to the room to put on our bathing suits. I have a suit that looks more like shorts and a tank top. I LOVE the water rides so much and always chuckle at those going on them who desperately try to stay dry. I do understand if you don't have a place to change how uncomfortable it can be, so we change or do the rides last before we go. We got back at the parks at 3 pm and rode Popeye, tried Dudley's but it was down, went to Jurassic Park, then back to Dudley's. It went down again while we were in line. But, we waited it out (I watched some more of the French Open and Davy and I played our word game). During our wait, I snagged a place in the virtual line for Hagrid's.

We then left to change back to regular clothes and grab some pizza at Sal's. My first time! It's great and we ate there a lot! We then RAN back for our virtual time back at Hagrid's.

This because our longest line yet. We got in at 6:20 and got off at 7:30. I liked better waiting in the morning for this and didn't try the virtual line again. The park officially closed at 7 pm.

At 7:40 as we were walking out, Davy decided to try to make it to the Jimmy Fallon ride before Universal closed at 8. He took off running between parks and I strolled over. He made it and was off the ride by the time I got to the front of the park.

Davy is in cross country and practice actually started this week (not mandatory, but he wanted to do some training). So, after walking more than 10 miles that day, he ran from Universal to PBR. I took the boat. He was at the resort just as I was pulling away from the dock at City Walk.

We had accomplished A LOT the first day but Davy wanted to get up early again for another shot at Hagrid's. This kid was full of energy! (this would change later in the week.) We kept trying for Velocicoaster but it did not open until the afternoon and the first time I saw it open, there was already a 90 minute wait.

Tomorrow -- a nice Granny and a grumpy Grandpa!

Last edited:
Oh I know, we had some lovely plans for that trip......well, one day!!

Thank goodness you`re fit as a fiddle Alice!! All that running so early isn`t good for you lol......glad you hadn`t lost it though and you had it.

Yep, the surprise is a good un!!

I added some pics to the day. You read too fast! LOL. Yes -- I could be fitter, that's for sure!!!

I added some pics to the day. You read too fast! LOL. Yes -- I could be fitter, that's for sure!!!

lol....I`m reading the first bit and thinking, I know this and I was thinking you had told me in an email......doh!

Pictures are lovely....and that was your first Sal`s pizza?? I didn`t know you hadn`t been there before, and happy you enjoyed it.

Nice day for you, and yes, on some of the Universal water rides, you ain`t never gonna stay dry....why try!

Following! Do you know how to make breakfast reservations at Leaky Cauldron? I would rather do that than deal with the wait for a table/make a mobile order/wait for the order deal at lunch. Plus, they only have good vegetarian options at breakfast.

Following! Do you know how to make breakfast reservations at Leaky Cauldron? I would rather do that than deal with the wait for a table/make a mobile order/wait for the order deal at lunch. Plus, they only have good vegetarian options at breakfast.
At Leaky Cauldron, you mobile order but there is still a wait for the table. You can make reservations for Three Broomsticks. I have never done that because usually we are touring and not eating breakfast at the park. I THINK you can probably do it from the app or website.

Following along. I just booked a trip for next spring, so I'm finally getting back to reading here again and finding out what's going on at the parks!:surfweb:

Day 3

Thursday, June 3.

I asked Davy whether he wanted to sleep in or go early again to get to Hagrid's (or, go to early entry on the Universal side). Davy said he'd like to do Hagrid's again. We had to drop our luggage off at the lobby as today we were moving to the Disney side later in the afternoon.

We got to the parks about the same time but this time were a little farther back. As we were sitting there, there was a family behind us who knew nothing about the parks. I heard, “Why isn’t this park doing early entry? Where do we go first? How do you get there?” I helped this poor family and they seemed grateful. Meanwhile, Davy was just chillin':

Universal morning June 3.jpeg

Right before gates opened, I told Davy to take our backpack and hustle to the lockers for Hagrid's as he has longer legs and moves much faster. I'd meet him in front of the ride. He was shocked when I was there. "Mom, you're faster than I thought!" LOL. We had a bit of a wait today, but not much. One mom was cutting through the line saying, "my son is up there." I MAY have said something like, "my son is better. He waits for me." Davy then said, "well, you actually move too!" LOL. We can be evil when we want to be....I did see a lot of that -- one person gets in line and the other catches up. I mean, if it's a long line and someone went to the bathroom, sure... but, this was something else. Anyway, I felt a little motion sick this time on the ride. But, it was still fun. I felt kind of like I was motion sick all day but not too bad. I think I was just hungry.

When we got off, Velocicoaster was open! With a small wait (30 minutes). We decided to do single rider to make it even shorter.

Velocicoaster.jpeg

"Look out kid behind you!"

I sat by a dad who was with his two boys. The two boys were arguing and didn't want to sit with each other but Dad convinced them to and he sat by me. He had been on the ride before and warned me it gets REALLY FAST in the middle. Boy, howdie, did it! I took off my glasses for this ride. I THINK you see velociraptors at some point on the ride itself, but between the speed, my lack of sight, and trying to keep my stomach in my body, I didn't see them. Davy THINKS he did but even he isn't sure.

Davy, meanwhile, sat by a grandma who had been on the ride multiple times. She LOVED it. Davy got off and it even got to him. He said, "yet, that granny was LOVING IT! Why aren't we like her? She's VELOCIGRANNY!" Thus, we deemed this nice lady VelociGranny. I'm really hoping she happens to read this. We referred to her throughout the trip and her awesomeness. <3

Next up, Davy wanted to stop in Honeydukes for some candy to eat on Hogwarts Express. I am never one to say no to chocolate! We grabbed some stuff and then took the train over to Universal and Davy commented that it was better going the other way. We decided to make it a point to go back the other way too.

We rode Mummy. Love it! Then, Davy wanted to do Fallon again with me (why does he love this so much?). I was still feeling a little motion sick so I kept my eyes closed the whole time (didn't help). Then, he wanted to do Rip Rockit Ride. Man... I was NOT feeling it, but he begged. We both played "I Will Survive" (Carole!). It wasn't so bad on my motion sickness.

Then we headed to Gringotts.... and we were passing the Fast and the Furious ride talking about how everyone says it's horrible and we've never ridden it... so, we decided we had to try it once. We joked how it was so atmospheric ... better than Harry Potter area and Galaxy's Edge (NOT!). We actually had a lot of fun making fun of it. I will say, there are two little areas where some live folks tell jokes with the "stars" on screen. That was pretty funny honestly. But, the ride itself -- STINKO. But, we had so much fun at how awful it was, it kind of was a highlight of our trip that we still talk about. So, glad we tried it! And... we'll likely never do it again but will mention our one try every time we pass by it. :)

Went on Gringott's again. Yay! Around this time, a mom with a kid who looked about 8 asked if the ride was scary... I said not really... but I'm used to my fearless kid who wanted to ride the Hulk at age 3 or 4. I asked the kid if he'd seen the movies. He had. I said, "well, Voldemort DOES make an appearance..." He said, "then, nope. Not riding it. I HATE that guy." Davy and I chuckled at that. Again, I'm so lucky as my kid wants to ride everything and always has (except for Tower of Terror -- wasn't afraid of the drop, just the story! That was when he was 4 or 5. It's one of his favorites now!) I'm not sure if I'd be one of those parents who begs their kid to ride something he doesn't want to (he's usually begging me). We had one big instance later of that right behind us....

Anyway, moving on, Davy tried one other time to call Ministry of Magic a couple of years ago, said it didn't work and that was that. Well, today, he tried again.... and then I saw this:

phone booth 1.jpeg

phone booth 2.jpeg

... and then, heard this, "Help Mom! You're old! How do I use a rotary phone?" BAWAHAHAHAHA. I almost barricaded him in there. Anyway, I taught him how (today's kids!). Now I know why it "didn't work" last time. So, he finally heard the message from the Ministry of Magic. And, he almost got spanked for the first time in his life.

We made it to Platform 9 and 3/4. There he goes!

hogwarts express 1.jpeg

hogwarts express 2.jpeg

We finally got to experience this trip what Davy thinks is the "best ride" on the train.

Davy decided to ride Hulk. I declined. Last time we rode, although it had be refurbished and "smoother," it knocked both of our heads around. Davy said this time it did not. He's also now much taller -- and taller than me now. I'm wondering if that made the difference?

I had reserved lunch at The Kitchen at HRH. We took the boat there. I had eaten there many years ago and loved it. I had their signature hamburger this time and I think it's the best one I have ever eaten. LOVED IT. I can't remember what Davy had but he just thought it was OK. We then walked back to PBR to grab a Lyft to the Animal Kingdom Villas....where I was destined to go head to head with grumpy grandpa.

I'm not sure whether to just include the Disney side here, or post a link here and do the report on the Disney side... I'll try to figure that out today... or tomorrow...

You two are having such a blast!!!!

Glad you got to ride VC! And I aspire to be a Velocigranny someday, lol!

My DD was the same with rides, loved them all at an early age....cried when she wasn't yet tall enough to ride Rock n Roller Coaster!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter