• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Did You Like Best At Boma?

I've read sooooo many good reviews about the Boma buffet. We're are centering the AK day around the buffet and that night at Cirque Du Soliel...gosh i can't wait!!!!

foobs

Originally posted by jann1033
halfway there or anyone else : do yu know what the "spice" you mentioned is?
Thanks

I'm really not sure. There's definitely some curry seasoning used which I love! The overall impression I get is for something in the cinnamon or nutmeg family if that makes any sense. Definitely not spicy hot, more savory mild. HTH!

thanks. i really want to try this place

My favorite part of dinner was the service and the salads.

We checked the menus at WDWIG.com before our trip & weren't really expecting to eat there but once. We're not what you'd call adventurous eaters. We were worried about the food being too spicy - and all of the weird names for the food.

Having said that, Boma is this family's all time favorite restaurant on the planet! :Pinkbounc :bounce: In fact, we liked it so much I asked for a number of the recipes & we make the dishes at home, too! BTW - DD was 10, DS & (now) DIL were 20 at the time.

The best description I heard of the food was that it is spiceD (as in seasoned) not spicY. There is lots of flavor to the food, but not spicy making you drink gallons of water.

Our favorites were:
Marinated Flank Steak (make it at home-MIAH)
FuFu (MIAH)
Potatoes with Afritude (MIAH)
Nut-Crusted Fish (type of fish varied)
Moroccan Seafood Stew
Durban Spiced Roast Chicken Salad (MIAH)
Sun-dried Tomato Hummus (kind of sweet)
Cocomisu
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Zebra Coffee Domes
. ... and then you have to roll out the door. ;) (We ate there quite a few times during our 10 days.)
Chocolate Mouse Crunch
Passionfruit Tarts
Pineapple Cashew Tarts

I have recipes for all of these dishes - and many more - if you are interested in looking to see what spices are in them. If you PM me I'll send them to you...(or you could just do a search on the Recipes forum here on the DIS if it's working.)

The chicken/corn chowder! We got the recipe last year and make it every so often.

Very tasty roast beef, nut crusted fish, many of the soups (esp. multigawny). There's so many things to try!
We eat there every trip and love to spend extra time walking around the resort.

all of the different salads and I am not even a huge salad lover!

Loved the prime rib as well as the fish. And of course....the Zebra Domes were great!

Great dinner with a great wait staff!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kapp

Add me to the list of those who love Boma. It is great for all people. For people who like things plain, they can get the prime rib. The prime rib is not cooked in any kind of sauce, instead, they have bowls of different sauces that you can take and put on it if you want.

I have eaten there many times and so far have never had a problem and I am a very picky eater. This is the one place I alway make sure to bring people when they visit. My sister, b-i-l and two nieces came and they also enjoyed the place, in fact, my b-i-l had me go back a couple of weeks later for a soup recipe. And both of the kids loved it too (ages 8 and 6 at the time).

The coconut curry soup is amazing. I have to force myself not to eat 3 bowls of it because I'll be too full to have anything else. It's my absolute favorite at Boma. - Nancy

My favorite was a dish similar to Sheppard's pie. Ican't remember the name right now. Oh and the curry seafood soup. Boy did my sis rave about it. I really didn't care for the zebra domes. too light for me. The chocolate mouse crunch was much better IMHO

What about breakfast favorites? We are going there in a month for breakfast and would love to hear what is good then!

Thanks.

Laura

I liked everything, but really enjoyed the soups and the desserts. Particularly the Chicken Pepper Pot Soup and the Passionfruit Merangue Tarte!

Originally posted by lauraljp
What about breakfast favorites? We are going there in a month for breakfast and would love to hear what is good then!

Thanks.

Laura

FRUNCH!!! We have it every Christmas morning now. Mmmmm! :teeth:

Actually I don't remember much else other than the omelette station & the apple sausage - oh, and DH & DS liked the Kenya AA coffee. There were quite a few pastries on the breakfast buffet in addition to yogurt etc.

The soups were outstanding. I did love the salads that were on the unussual sounding side (for me anyway). The desserts are also excellent especially the Zbra Domes and the Banana Bread pudding, my personal favorite.

I think your family will be pleasantly surprised -- as others have said, it was one of the best and most memorable meals we have had in four visits to WDW. Your server will strongly encourage you all to try a little bit of everything. I avoided the salads only because I didn't want to get filled up. The food ranges from the familiar to the exotic and the bland to the spicy. DH made 3 trips to each 'pod' -- I have never seen him eat like that. DS (9) stuck to the mac cheese and watermelon. DD (7) tried the prime rib and pap, potatoes with Afritude, fruit and the desserts. We had 2 very sophisticated diners with us and they were very impressed with the food offered and went back for seconds on nearly everything. The South African red wine was one of the best reds I can remember drinking. Our server was outstanding, whipping away dirty plates with great efficiency. The restaurant also has these fabulous chocolate creations for display -- bring your camera - like a giraffe made out of white and dark chocolates. After dinner, we walked off some of the food by checking out lobby of the resort and went outside to see the animals and talked to a very friendly African CM/guide who showed us this huge banana spider that was soon to be re-located out of the way of guests. We were also in time for the storytelling by the fire but didn't stay.

Dessert bar is awesome. Prime rib is excellent.

Piratesmate, what is frunch?

We went for dinner, and I loved all the dressings and sauces. I even got recipes and made the pork roast with fruit and port sauce at home, and it was great. I tried making the mulligatawny soup, but theirs was better. I loved those zebra domes too.

I loved the room, the server, and the chance to look at the animals and hear the storytelling, although we felt a little weird being the only adults without kids at the circle. Loved looking around the hotel too. I was tempted to ask if we could check out the concierge level, but knowing how expensive it is I did not envision us staying there in the future.

Cheers :)

Frunch is served at breakfast. It's made from lemon juice, pineapple juice, orange juice, mango juice & grenadine. It's also extremely addictive! :earseek: ;) My kids ( pirate: princess: ) asked to eat at Boma every morning just so they could have the Frunch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter