• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do I do with my phone during rides?

At home I tend to use big totes to commute but in Disney, smaller is better for me! I am a big fan of small zippered backpacks. Longchamp makes a great water-resistant super lightweight one - pricey, but I have gotten a TON of use of it at home and the parks and it also folds down really compact! Yes, I also adore fanny packs! I like fanny packs a lot because my shoulders don't hurt at the end of the day. Whatever you choose, I'd suggest something zippered. I have never had anything stolen from me at Disney, but for me the zipper is more for peace of mind when I have to store it in a ride pocket (Soarin', Rock and Roller Coaster) or just in general in case my bag falls or such.

Good that you are thinking about where to put things... on your first day especially! Last trip my room was not ready when I arrived at noon. So I was fine with leaving my bags with bell services. However, they said they could not keep ANY valuables.... they asked me to remove and money, jewelry, iPads, etc from the bags before they would take them. So I had to step to the side and "rearrange" some things into my backpack! It was a pain! I'd never had them tell me that before and I've left just about everything with them before on our last day (not my wallet or passport). I was just a bit confused because if you have things in your checked luggage on the plane and they hold that, why not this? Maybe because they bring it to your room?? not sure?
Anyway.... you might need a backpack vs. a small cross body if leaving your luggage at Bell services till the room is ready.

That’s weird! I check my laptop if my room isn’t ready and they tell me they will lock it in “the cage”. Not sure what that is but so far so safe after tons of trips.

That’s weird! I check my laptop if my room isn’t ready and they tell me they will lock it in “the cage”. Not sure what that is but so far so safe after tons of trips.
I know!! I thought it weird too!! Not sure what was going on! (see my response previous page). Maybe the cage was full?? Or the lock broken that day???
I'm hoping next trip I can put everything in "the cage"! haha.... I have an early flight again and will head to the parks right away even if my room isn't ready yet.

I usually just stick it in my pocket if I'm going bagless. if I'm riding Kali River/Splash Mountain, I bring a clear plastic backpack with a towel, change of clothes, etc...along with a waterproof cellphone case I can wear around my neck.

I love a string backpack, we've bought them at Disney every year so we have a great and useful souvenir. We all carry our own - water, poncho, small purse. Great to have somewhere to put souvenirs as well.

On rides like Big Thunder, Toy Story Mania, etc. I will put my bag on the floor and put my foot through the strap so it can't accidentally get knocked out. I think Star Tours is one of the rides with a bag "net" under the seat too.

Quick horror story about putting your phone in your pocket:

We went to the parks for 1 day prior to going on a cruise. The week before, I had purchased the latest iPhone (you can tell this is going nowhere good). We spent all day in all 4 parks and, as we were about to leave, I saw that the line for Space Mountain was only 10 minutes! I got in line and, for some stupid reason, kept my cell phone in the pocket of the light jacket I was wearing. I got on the ride and as we made the very first turn to go into "hyperspeed", I feel my phone leave my pocket. I searched everywhere in the train car for it and immediately began to panic.

Guess what? It wasn't there. Yup, my brand new iPhone had just fallen out of my pocket onto a rollercoaster track. We reported it and eventually had to go back to the hotel empty handed.

However, this being Disney, two days (of mild panic) later, the lost & found department called me. My phone had been found and somehow was miraculously unharmed. There wasn't a single crack and it still worked. We picked it up and went on our cruise (after I cancelled my order for a new iPhone...) True Disney magic!! :)

So, moral of the story is that I will never, ever leave my phone in a pocket that doesn't have a zipper before getting on a ride again.

String backpacks, tiny crossbody purses, and fanny packs are all great ideas. But if you plan to go on a ride with water (even something as simple as IASW or POTC), bring a ziploc bag. Even those simple rides can occasionally have an issue and a splash occurs. Slip your phone in the ziploc, seal, and place right back into your chosen bag. Not bulky but totally safe from any hiccups.

You know those quart sized plastic bags you can carry on a plane? That's what I put my phone, ID, cash if I have it, and a credit card in. The touch screen part of the phone works fine and it's also protected from rain, sweat, splashes, etc.. I stash it under my arm, in my pocket, under my leg, or in the little pouches on rides that have them. This has worked well for me.

Can you carry a water bottle on rides? I know most wouldn’t be a problem but would it be ok on something like rockin rollercoaster, tower of terror, big thunder, Everest?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter