What happens if you don't do the timeshare presentation?

HappyLawyer said:
it also amazes me how much a company will drop a price when they want to sell, when i bought at OLCC it was in a new area not even built yet, when i was not sure, or had to think about it, they dropped the price even lower

Years ago we were at a presentation in Hilton Head Island. They brought out a big book with the price lists. I started laughing when I saw the $30,000 price tag for a one week in a two bedroom and asked where the 'real' price list was. Suddenly the price dropped to $15000, then 12 and we probably could have got it for 10. I was told most people who buy pay the full price. I said, yeah, people with more money than brains. :)

I think those come ons at grocery and furniture stores and now Dish TV companies are awful and they should ban them. They tell people outright they have won something or they got a great deal. It's more misleading than if the resort itself was doing it.

HappyLawyer said:
it also amazes me how much a company will drop a price when they want to sell, when i bought at OLCC it was in a new area not even built yet, when i was not sure, or had to think about it, they dropped the price even lower
Yep! And the interest rates to finance through their financing options! I know it isn't as high as some credit card interest rates, but geesh - 16% to 19% financing rates on $10K! Dh and I got my parents out of the deal and we told them to let us know where and when they want to take a trip and their accomodations are on us! So far since then it has worked out well for them and us - they get to vacation in a condo and we don't have to clean up any more of their financial messes.

When we do our Owner's Meetings now, they don't even try to sell us that hard. The salesperson figures out quickly that we know where to buy aftermarket timeshares for less than a tenth of their lowest price.

I do wish timeshares would start using traditional methods of advertising and stop it with the cheesey and corny "gifts." Timeshares are a wonderful thing and probably more people could know this if all the smoke and mirrors were taken down.

The one that gets me is "Give us a list of names and addresses of 10 friends" and you get blah, blah, blah. Uhhh, no, sorry, but we're not selling out our friends and family to you guys so you can bug them endlessly all the while letting them know we are the ones who gave your telemarketing firm their name! :mad:

HappyLawyer said:

How did the developer price at OLCC compare to the resale market? I know Fairfield wanted $25k for the same thing you can buy resale for $3k. They have to pay for those perks that they "give away".

We exchanged into 3 2BR units at OLCC in July 2005. They called each room everyday trying to get us to come down for the "Owner's meetings". The last offer they gave me besides the free breakfast was $180 cash. Someone has to pay for that.

Bottom line for me is that if I were an owner at OLCC, I would side more with Bicker's point of view since it would be me footing part of the bill for people who take advantage of the offers knowing good and well they have no interest in purchasing.

MIDisFan said:
How did the developer price at OLCC compare to the resale market? I know Fairfield wanted $25k for the same thing you can buy resale for $3k. They have to pay for those perks that they "give away".

We exchanged into 3 2BR units at OLCC in July 2005. They called each room everyday trying to get us to come down for the "Owner's meetings". The last offer they gave me besides the free breakfast was $180 cash. Someone has to pay for that.

Bottom line for me is that if I were an owner at OLCC, I would side more with Bicker's point of view since it would be me footing part of the bill for people who take advantage of the offers knowing good and well they have no interest in purchasing.

Let's put it this way, when all was said and done at OLCC the price for the new 2 bedroom unit was under 9k which was great because we go every other year and i spend over 1k on accomodations, so for that price, i purchased and paid and was done, i personally felt it was a good deal considerating what they originally quoted, heck they offered another discount for a penthouse style but could not sell it, the number was going to be 6662 and it was the 666 thing i guess peole did not want, i did not want it either but they would have taken off another 1500.00 So it just really makes you think, in addition to the maint. fees paid each year by owners, they are trying to sell the untis for almost double of what they probablly would cost. I personally am happy with my choice and the price i was given.

happylawyer

was the new area you purchased ...River Island, orthe East Village high rises

also,

have you looked at the new Global Access program they are offering at OLCC

Mono~rail said:
I'm confused. :confused: I don't know what "nt" means. The :smooth: didn't help me figure it out either.

nt means "no text," you can't delete here so I did the next best thing :). I was going to comment on the OP's original comment but the thread seems to have taken a turn towards what timeshare to buy :confused3 .

Kellydelly said:
nt means "no text," you can't delete here so I did the next best thing :). I was going to comment on the OP's original comment but the thread seems to have taken a turn towards what timeshare to buy :confused3 .
Thanks! I was so confused! :) I can be goofy sometimes and easily confused. :crazy: :badpc:

So what decision did you reach?

I know! I need a smiley that emotes nosiness! :)

HappyLawyer said:
LEARN TO READ!! hello, can you read, i said i was offered a promo, they did ot mention a presentation- so how can i not live up to that, and no kidding, i should cancel, really wow, thanks for that-boy i would be lost without you.
Me too. I am apparently unhappy because I don't agree with certain peoples laws about how to ride WDW buses. :lmao:

HappyLawyer said:
Let's put it this way, when all was said and done at OLCC the price for the new 2 bedroom unit was under 9k which was great because we go every other year and i spend over 1k on accomodations, so for that price, i purchased and paid and was done, i personally felt it was a good deal considerating what they originally quoted, heck they offered another discount for a penthouse style but could not sell it, the number was going to be 6662 and it was the 666 thing i guess peole did not want, i did not want it either but they would have taken off another 1500.00 So it just really makes you think, in addition to the maint. fees paid each year by owners, they are trying to sell the untis for almost double of what they probablly would cost. I personally am happy with my choice and the price i was given.

That is the most important thing. Hope you and your family have plenty wonderful vacations!

This is a very strange thread!

Well, hope everyone is having a happy day. It's pouring here in NJ, and my 6 year old is miserable, but I'm ok. :)

lawgs said:
happylawyer

was the new area you purchased ...River Island, orthe East Village high rises

also,

have you looked at the new Global Access program they are offering at OLCC

I think East Villiage, the reason i think is because i purchaed in 2004 and i was leaving, did not go down in 05 but going now in 2006, and i hear the global access, new face of OLCC stuff but i do not know anything about it at this time.

Gillian said:
This is a very strange thread!

Well, hope everyone is having a happy day. It's pouring here in NJ, and my 6 year old is miserable, but I'm ok. :)

Did you just need to post? :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :rotfl:

Mono~rail said:
So what decision did you reach?

I know! I need a smiley that emotes nosiness! :)

I decided to keep the promo offer, the manager stated that she pulled the tape and verified the rep did not inform me it was a presentation required. She told me i could cancel and she would do a refund, but then stated since it was already paid for just keep it, she is sending me out a modified conf, stating no presention is required and she apologized. I explained to her that i already own at two resorts, i do not need a presentation for another, so i am happy with the end result. If anyone wants to know the legal jargon that i used, i can tell you via private im

See what I mean about it being a strange thread? Not that the original topic was strange, but the way it developed and the random things people posted!

I posted just to continue the randomness. :)

HappyLawyer said:
The quote I had in my post was your reply to the DISer who thinks they know how all the world should operate. When I said that DISers point of view was wrong about the WDW buses I was told that I was unhappy. I was just reinforcing that this particular DISer likes to tell us (like you need to pay or take the presentation) how to live our lives. Deems that DISer is wrong often.

MiaSRN62 said:
I can understand what you're saying. But why can't the timeshare companies just be upfront and very clear with their offerings ? Why is this so hard ? Why hide it in the fine print or trick people ? I don't get this practice. Maybe it's just me, or perhaps it's because I got taken by one of the shady companies (and not all are). Many times it IS a great deal. Then disclose it as such and all that is involved. Makes for a much happier customer. I don't know if I could trust a timeshare company (as far as buying into it) if they were sneaky/snide in how they got me to attend ?

ITA. We don't take advantage of these offers but I cannot tell you how many times I have been called and an enthusiastic caller congradulates me because I am the grand prize winner of a contest that I did not remember entering. I have been assured that I did indeed enter and that I won. I was never told about my obligation until I pried it out of the caller.

There are a lot of people who will not mind a presentation and will accept with the terms in place. I cannot understand how any company thinks that a sale will be made under conditions that are coerced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter