What I miss ar WDW

I miss the original Imagination and hearing Walter Cronkite as we go through the "golf ball". I miss the original "Monster Sound Show" at MGM. Most of all I miss taking 2 little boys to WDW. My oldest claimed he could see Epcot from the bridge over the Mississippi near our home. At 21 and 19 they're not interested in vacationing with the old folks.

So many, I'm sure I can't remember them all-
1. Top of the World Brunch
2. World of Motion
3. "Tomorrow's Child" in Spaceship Earth
4. Melvin the Moose character breakfast-"Wake up, you silly moose!" in Fort Wilderness
5. Having breakfast at the French bakery shop (that is, when WS opened at 9:00)
6. Buses with colored flags
7. The double-decker buses in WS

How about biggest changes for the positive over the years?
Definitely, the MK bus stop right in front of the park. I remember the days when you could only get there through the T&TC.

Originally posted by gilld
I really liked Catain EO at Epcot. We only got to see it on our first visit and then they closed it down. I'd LOVE to see that again but I imagine they won't bring it back.

We can only imagine what Captain EO would be now. Hmmm, the setting could be Neverland, ... :teeth:

T&B

Absolutely River Country! My dad used to take us while my mom relaxed at the hotel and we'd all come back pink as lobsters from floating around in those great black tubes! Bliss! I so wish they would bring it back. Sign me up for Yesteryearland!::yes::

Then when the Dark Years began, Darth Eisner ripped it out in favor of a 4-D Compaq commercial called Innoventions...

Kevin [/B]

HYSTERICAL!!! I love it...

Originally posted by frndofpooh
Absolutely River Country! My dad used to take us while my mom relaxed at the hotel and we'd all come back pink as lobsters from floating around in those great black tubes! Bliss! I so wish they would bring it back. Sign me up for Yesteryearland!::yes::

I was devastated when I learned they'd closed River Country. Their answer was that that "we anticipate our other water parks being able to fill guest demand"...Except that they are NOTHING like RC was!! Totally different place. Kind of like going to Tom Sawyer Is. in MK - a relaxed pace, a step back in time.

I also miss Skyway to Fantasyland/Tomorrowland. It was simple, yes, but being able to get up there and see all the park was great.

P.S. Does anyone know if the old penny arcade is still anywhere on Main Street?? I don't see mention of it in any of my guidebooks. Another bummer, if it's gone...:confused:

Originally posted by BarbaraK
I miss The Main St. Electrical Parade.

Most definitely !!!
I also miss the calm relaxing Swan Boats.

20000 Leagues
Mr. Toad's (but I love seeing the picture of Mr. Toad handing the deed over to Pooh in the Pooh ride)
Main Street Electrical Parade

Another vote for the Buckets (Skyway in MK) - my DS doesn't like heights but he would always ride because he didn't want his sister to call him "chicken"!:scared1:

The Log Ride at Knott's is STILL there...(I rode it last week)...still cheesey and still fun.

Yup, Knotts was first with the log ride.
I grew up in OC and believe me Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland were big parts of my life. I may be dating myself but I have a picture of me when I was 3 sitting in a covered wagon at Knott's with a sign that read, "Ghost Town or Bust."

OK - have a great time AKL. We just got back from AKL. I hope you get a chance to see CoP - brings back memories. One of my mom's friends' daughter worked on CoP with the CM that was fatally injured on it (boy, that really dates me). There is also a People Mover but it is called something different. The biggest disappointment to me is Pirates - at WDW it only has one drop and is a much shorter ride than at DL.

MK is always a little surreal to me since I spent so much time at DL. It just seems a little "off."

My favorite "lost" attraction - Monsanto's Journey Through Inner Space - gotta love the Mickey Molecules.

JadedNYer! I thought I was the only person who remembered Journey through innerspace!!!!

It was my favorite as a child and boy was I mad when they took it out to put in Star Tours at DL! I grew up in SoCal too and DL and Knott's were where I practically lived.

I hear Knott's just isn't the same anymore and it makes me sad. Of course DL isn't either and I too have weirdness at WDW's MK because things are a little off there for me too. I love it, but I do so miss DL.

Have you been to the park whose name shall not be spoken? I will only call it the Tragedy in the Parking Lot. We were there right when it opened and it's a sad thing when you think the Parking Lot was a better attraction than an entire park. But, I guess I'm resistant to change at DL overall.

I miss 20,000 Leagues. It's so sad to think that my kids will get to experience it. I took some pictures while I was on it when I was a kid so at least they get to see those. ;)

More votes for Skyway and 20,000 Leagues at WDW. Everytime I pass the old Skyway entrance in Fantasyland, I wonder if they will ever do something with that area (besides character greetings).

jadedNYer and Disney_1derland, I grew up in Oregon and we went to So CA on a regular basis and went to Knott's and DL. Great memories for sure. The funny thing is that my DH grew up in Anaheim and I think that I went to DL almost as many times growing up as he did. He could see the fireworks from his house, which was neat. I guess growing up with Disney 2 miles from his house he never thought of it as something special and isn't obsessed like I am. Or maybe it was because he grew up with his mother who can't imagine going to any park more than once or twice. Didn't grow up with the Magic even though he was so close to it...

I remember when Knott's hardly had any rides and lines were terrible at DL. We'd go for spring break and easily wait in line for an hour or more for the E attractions.

I haven't been to Knott's in years and haven't been to that park that you don't want to mention. ;) Change is tough, isn't it?

T&B

Disney_1derland and Tigger&Belle

I have not been to the parking lot theme park. I moved to NYC in 84 to go to college. The last time I was at DL was probably 84. So, I guess they don't have the parking lot tram anymore - that was also a fun "ride."
DL was a surrogate babysitter. My mom would drop me and a friend off and pick us up at closing. Journey was also a great make out ride but shhhhhhhhh.
I can't remember the last time I was at Knott's. Probably sometime shortly after the first rollercoast with loops was constructed. There used to be an Indian Chief there whom I adored and I used to love mining for gold.
OK here's one for you both - The Buena Park Deer Park. Remember that?
We used to have shoeboxes filled with A and B tickets. It was like hitting lotto if you could find leftover D tickets. There were never any leftover E tickets though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter