What improvements/changes would you like to see?

DVC Grandpa

DVC Member
Now that DVC has rethought or tweaked the policies of DVR units in the Studio units and the smoking policy, are there any other improvements/changes you can think of that would enhance your stay? I can think of things like a larger hook on the bathroom door for clothing, a larger shelf in the one bedroom bath that would accommodate small accessories so that it wouldn’t fall into the sink and why not squeeze things together by six inches to accommodate king size beds into some studios for those who so desire the larger bed. ;)

I would like to see owners who book prior to the 7 month window given preference for requests.

I would also like a way to check availbility online. (I am not in favor of online reservations, since not everyone has internet access, plus I think it would be very frustrating for those who don't understand all the ramifications of points status & booking rules - i.e., banked, borrowed, transferred, holding, reservation, multiple contracts, waitlists etc.)

I would like waitlist requests to show online (via Members' Website) as well as the requests made on reservations.

I would like the home resort booking advantage to be longer - perhaps 5 or even 6 months instead of 4.

I would love to see availability online, save me a call to MS to check, before I would actually call to book!

Just being able to see waitlist requests would be good too. I have been lucky in my first experience, but after reading a couple of posts this week, I would really like to double check it online(geez I do that with my reservations, as soon as I hang up).

I would like to see owners who book prior to the 7 month window given preference for requests.
I agree! I think that would be an important perk of home resort ownership.

I would also like a way to check availbility online. (I am not in favor of online reservations, since not everyone has internet access, plus I think it would be very frustrating for those who don't understand all the ramifications of points status & booking rules - i.e., banked, borrowed, transferred, holding, reservation, multiple contracts, waitlists etc.)
I agree, but I'd like to see online booking. In fact, I think online booking might offer the ability to more clearly and consistently explain the ramifications of certain booking decisions, and also automatically allow the owner more flexibility.

I would like the home resort booking advantage to be longer - perhaps 5 or even 6 months instead of 4.
I like it the way it is now. If you reduce the non-owner availability too much (which 11-month and 5 month booking windows certainly would), you've pretty much removed the ability of people to book at other resorts except during really slow periods. I think that's counter to the intent of DVC ownership. DVC could reduce the home resort advantage to one month, but I think the current four-month spread is just about right.

To me, this is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.

I'd also like to see more consistent enforcement of DVC rules and regs. Most people follow most of the rules most of the time, but DVC could certainly be more proactive in dealing with those who don't.

I'd also like to see more consistent pre-checkin room cleaning. Without daily housekeeping, the rooms really need to be cleaned between guests. We see far too many "Fritos on the carpet and hair on the bathroom floor" complaints. There is an issue with housekeeping supervision that DVC should address -- nobody's minding the store.

[ETA: This problem is not unique to DVC. We've checked into dirty rooms at other Disney resorts also. But we expect better of DVC.]

I would like nightstands on BOTH sides of the bed in the studios. I was happy to see that the floor plan for the AKV studio shows a night stand between the queen bed and the wall, but based on the model rooms, it would appear they aren't putting one in the room after all. :confused:

We used to have that advantage where the resorts tried to meet requests in the order the reservations were received. However, once WDW went to a "Room Ready" program and de-emphasized the role of the room controller, they made a committment to minimize guest requests in favor of a less labor-intensive system. Thus the change away from any advantage to member regarding requests. I have been told by a DVC resort manager that the advantage of the 11 month priority is to allow us opportunity to make reservations earlier than other guests - not to have any priority for requests.

I'd really like the ability to make reservations online. The same cautions about banking/borrowing/cancellation policies could be built into the online reservation system (like checking an "I have read the policies and I accept" box to use many websites). Phone reservations already have the same caveats and it doesn't seem to deter anyone. That way the reservation system could be available 24/7 for those with any time limitations regarding the MS phone lines. Members could also simply print off their confirmation - including any requests made at that time.

I would like waitlist requests to show online (via Members' Website) as well as the requests made on reservations.

I agree and would like to see that information become available too. Right now there is no way for MS to "see" where an individual is postioned on the waitlist and I wouldn't expect that information to be available online either - just due to the way the waitlist works - but a confirmation that a member is on the wailtist would be nice.

If anything, I think DVC might consider making it shorter - as they have suggested in past surveys. At this point I doubt any change will be made, but would not be surprised to the advantage shortened rather than lengthened. By policy, we are guaranteed at least a 1 month priority. I would not want it to be that short, but can foresee a change in that direction rather than a longer priority.

I would also enjoy a return to a more efficient check-in procedure as we used to have. In the past DVC offered an express check-in where everything was waiting in a portfolio and all we had to do was report in at the front desk and pick up our room key.

I don't see DVC ever changing the priority for requests. For one thing once you book your reservation everyone is on equal ground to them and since that is they way they sold the resorts I don't see them changing. As to room ready I was told by DVC management that is what most of the members wanted. We always have to remember that this group represents a small portion of the total membership. Most would rather have a room when they arrive than a specific location.

My only improvement echos Jim's in that I think there is major need for improvement in housekeeping and maintenance at DVC. I have to disagree that the other resorts are suffering the same fate, as we have never gotten a deluxe resort room that was anything but spotless, but can't say the same for our DVC rooms.

I would like to see more attention payed to maintenance & housekeeping. Knock on wood, as our rooms have been spotless, no vodka bottles behind the tv, hair in the bathroom or chips on the floor. As owners we shouldn't put up with this and as being a newbie not sure how we could get this across to management.

I really hate it when I see the "Dissapointed in Housekeeping" threads. I don't know about the schedule for replacing furniture, carpeting, but when we looked into a nonWDW timeshare, they were on a 4-5 yr refurbishment time frame(perhaps that's why the annual dues were alot higher than DVC's)

I'd really like the ability to make reservations online. The same cautions about banking/borrowing/cancellation policies could be built into the online reservation system (like checking an "I have read the policies and I accept" box to use many websites). Phone reservations already have the same caveats and it doesn't seem to deter anyone.
I think it would be even easier -- and much more consistent -- with online booking. The software could be set up to detail exactly what the ramifications really are, and what the options are.

The same could be done with online cancellations: "Hey, listen up DVC-Owner...do you realize those points are going to be in 'holding status?' Click here if you don't have a clue what 'holding status' means."
That way the reservation system could be available 24/7 for those with any time limitations regarding the MS phone lines.
Which would be a convenience to those of us in the Eastern Time Zone, and a HUGE benefit to our many fellow members overseas.

If anything, I think DVC might consider making it shorter - as they have suggested in past surveys. At this point I doubt any change will be made, but would not be surprised to the advantage shortened rather than lengthened. By policy, we are guaranteed at least a 1 month priority. I would not want it to be that short, but can foresee a change in that direction rather than a longer priority.
I hate to agree with this, because I'd hate to see it happen, but if you look at recent trends with DVC, you are pretty much led to this conclusion.

DVC is building larger resorts and one of their prime selling points is "you can stay anywhere." If they reduce the length of the home resort advantage, they make the larger resorts they are selling now more attractive. (It may not be nice to say here, but they've already sold VWL and BCV -- they're done with them.) SSR is a big resort, AKV is going to be about the same size as BWV. With the escalating costs of building, I'm sure there is an economy of scale they have to meet, and they need to be able to ensure that those prospective new owners can "stay anywhere."

I don't see DVC ever changing the priority for requests. For one thing once you book your reservation everyone is on equal ground to them and since that is they way they sold the resorts I don't see them changing. As to room ready I was told by DVC management that is what most of the members wanted. We always have to remember that this group represents a small portion of the total membership. Most would rather have a room when they arrive than a specific location.

My only improvement echos Jim's in that I think there is major need for improvement in housekeeping and maintenance at DVC. I have to disagree that the other resorts are suffering the same fate, as we have never gotten a deluxe resort room that was anything but spotless, but can't say the same for our DVC rooms.

A common misconception about the reservation process of any hotel is that most peope think that the earlier you make the reservation, the better chance you have of a request being filled or that you would have priority. This is NOT true. And it isn't true with any hotel in the industry...not just Disney. It doesn't matter if you book 10 months ahead or 10 days ahead, you get put on the same arrival list and everyone is on equal ground. Sometimes you can specify certain room types, but even that is something many hotels will not guarantee due to changing conditions. Even if hotels wanted to give preference to earlier booked reservations, it would be difficult since the software just isn't set up for that and becomes a paperwork nightmare. Especially in a resort with 1,000 rooms.

Also, I think in Disney's case DVC and CRO are two different systems. I believe with DVC, Member Services sends the reservations to the resort only a week before the arrival date.

Enough about the check-in policy...lets get back to the larger hooks on the bathroom door:rotfl2:

Seriously though, I agree with the request/check-in suggestion. Actually, it'd just be nice to have any request honored! We've always requested non-smoking (not an issue anymore), and one close to something (depending on which resort, or 1st floor/2nd floor. And I can say that we have never gotton any of our requests other than the non-smoking. Funny thing- I just stopped requesting and now we seem to get some of things by chance:woohoo:

And back to the coat hooks and bigger shelves! Great idea! It actually crossed my mind the last couple times we were there about the hook thing...

I would also like a way to check availability on-line. (I am not in favor of on-line reservations, since not everyone has Internet access, plus I think it would be very frustrating for those who don't understand all the ramifications of points status & booking rules - i.e., banked, borrowed, transferred, holding, reservation, multiple contracts, wait-lists etc.)

I would like wait-list requests to show on-line (via Members' Website) as well as the requests made on reservations.

Good list. I would add on-line reservations and free high speed Internet.

As to room ready I would like a consistently applied policy. I have been told:

1. no rooms ready when others were checking in and getting rooms
2. I must wait till 4:00 pm as that is when rooms will be ready
3. here are the rooms available now
4. my pre-assigned room is being cleaned and to return in 30 minutes to check if housekeeping has released it

At this point I would just like consistency.

I think owners at that resort should be given priority no matter when they reserved. I also would like to see enforcement of policies in place. I'd like to see a more robust mini kitchen in the studios ala Marriott where you have the same basic set up but plates, utensils, even a few microwave bowls and grill utensils.

I'd also like to see DVC become a regular member of II where members could join II and use it if they chose and not if they didn't. There are many advantages to those that would pursue that option. Or even better would be for DVC to expand the BVTC and include companies like Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, WorldMark, Westin, Sunterra and the like. I'd also like to see DVC be more aggressive arranging discounts. I'd be in favor of large discounts even if it meant less options. How about the abililty to book a single stay at one time on the first day the reservation is available rather than being stuck with day by day or taking your chances.

I'd also like to see each resort have a working members meeting weekly with real information and resort and DVC management rather than fluff meetings. I'd like to see the rehab schedule presented for each resort as many other timeshares do.

I think owners at that resort should be given priority no matter when they reserved. .

Are you talking about booking priority, or request priority? If it's priority for room requests, I really like this idea too, even if it's only during the 11 month window.

I'd also like to see DVC become a regular member of II where members could join II and use it if they chose and not if they didn't. .

This idea I'm not as in favor of. In looking through relatives' II books, it looks to me as if Disney has partnerships with enough of the nicer ones, and has left out enough of the crummier ones, and we don't have to pay the yearly II fee to join - I see that as an advantage, really. But that said, I believe you're quite a bit more knowledgeable about other timeshares than I am, so I'm open to finding out why joining II would be a good thing.

I'd also like to see DVC be more aggressive arranging discounts. I'd be in favor of large discounts even if it meant less options. .

Discounts are always nice. What sorts of discounts are you speaking of? And what sort of reduced optionage?

How about the abililty to book a single stay at one time on the first day the reservation is available rather than being stuck with day by day or taking your chances..

Wouldn't that be nice?! Somebody had a logical explanation why it couldn't/shouldn't be done, but still... that would be great! Failing that, being able to book online would be good too... that way I wouldn't have to get up at 4:30 am for several days in a row while booking a day at a time :charac2:

I'd also like to see each resort have a working members meeting weekly with real information and resort and DVC management rather than fluff meetings.

I agree totally. We went to a member update (the old ones in the theater at SSR), and it was fun and all, but I was really expecting something a bit meatier, given that we had taken time out of our vacation to attend. I would like the ability to actually give meaningful input (even if only written and submitted) at the weekly meetings.

I don't know about the schedule for replacing furniture, carpeting, but when we looked into a nonWDW timeshare, they were on a 4-5 yr refurbishment time frame(perhaps that's why the annual dues were alot higher than DVC's)

Just curious what Timeshares you've looked at? DVC has the some of the highest maintenance dues I've seen among ANY standard Timeshares. Transportation to/from the parks is an added expense that most Timeshares do not have.

I also echo the Housekeeping/maintenance needs to be improved.

Thanks,

Mike

Just curious what Timeshares you've looked at? DVC has the some of the highest maintenance dues I've seen among ANY standard Timeshares. Transportation to/from the parks is an added expense that most Timeshares do not have.

I also echo the Housekeeping/maintenance needs to be improved.

Thanks,

Mike

These were at a large resort in Northern Michigan,(we've never looked at the Marriots, etc) I think the 1/8 fractional share(1 week every other month) were $200 a month($2400) PLUS your share of property tax. All this for about $200K and up. This is for a 3br/3 level townhouse. Weeks would rotate per calendar in Master deed(so everyone gets Xmas week or 4th July week every x number of years).

We rented some of these units, some much older than OKW and they are immaculate. No stains on the carpet, no scratched up coffee tables, very well stocked kitchens(lots of pans & utensils). If owning you can put your unit in the rental pool(forgot the specifics), when renting you can pick your unit at time of reservation(no waiting until you get there to see if you get the dreaded dumpster view).

Are you talking about booking priority, or request priority? If it's priority for room requests, I really like this idea too, even if it's only during the 11 month window.
request and wait list.

This idea I'm not as in favor of. In looking through relatives' II books, it looks to me as if Disney has partnerships with enough of the nicer ones, and has left out enough of the crummier ones, and we don't have to pay the yearly II fee to join - I see that as an advantage, really. But that said, I believe you're quite a bit more knowledgeable about other timeshares than I am, so I'm open to finding out why joining II would be a good thing.
I can understand that line of thinking. For the casual exchanger who maybe does it once or twice, the current system is better. But do you know what your missing. What if I told you that you might actually want to visit some of those other resorts. Or that newer resorts aren't included when they're in the main construction phase and that's when it's easiest to get in. Or that you could trade a studio for a 2 BR in many cases not just inside 60 days out. Osr that you could deposit a week of DVC and get a bonus week and get two trades for one week. Not to mention the ability to look and trade online.
Discounts are always nice. What sorts of discounts are you speaking of? And what sort of reduced optionage?
What about DVC going in and saying we want lower points or we're not going to offer your hotel as an option. So you might get Caribbean beach for 30% less than now but not get PO at all. Bacially pitting one component of the system against another. They really need to get the DC options down cheaply enough to make it a viable option some way or another.
Wouldn't that be nice?! Somebody had a logical explanation why it couldn't/shouldn't be done, but still... that would be great! Failing that, being able to book online would be good too... that way I wouldn't have to get up at 4:30 am for several days in a row while booking a day at a time
Actually it wouldn't be difficult, it'd just require some systems adjustments. And the truth is that it would likely require increasing the minimum stay to at least 3/4 days possibly designating the start days of F-S for 3 days and the week days for the 4 day option. Another way would be to give someone with a current reservation priority for the next night by having it wait listed and added the next day. The easiest way in one aspect would be to change the rules giving one the ability to book 7 days at a time 11 months out but that would require an actual vote of the membership themselves I believe, not unlike the current dining reservation setup.

I realize many would oppose some of these options because it's different than the current set up. But I think it is a more fair way for the owners at a given resort and for the owners in general in the long run. Not to mention that some of these measures would translate into maint savings.

These were at a large resort in Northern Michigan,(we've never looked at the Marriots, etc) I think the 1/8 fractional share(1 week every other month) were $200 a month($2400) PLUS your share of property tax. All this for about $200K and up. This is for a 3br/3 level townhouse. Weeks would rotate per calendar in Master deed(so everyone gets Xmas week or 4th July week every x number of years).

We rented some of these units, some much older than OKW and they are immaculate. No stains on the carpet, no scratched up coffee tables, very well stocked kitchens(lots of pans & utensils). If owning you can put your unit in the rental pool(forgot the specifics), when renting you can pick your unit at time of reservation(no waiting until you get there to see if you get the dreaded dumpster view).
Most timeshare run somewhere between 5 & 7 years for soft goods refurb and double that for hard goods plus soft goods. Marriott is usually about 5 years and thought their fees are high, they are about 30% cheaper than DVC on a comparable ownership and in many situations have nicer and larger units. The only ones I know that are higher overall are Ritz and Four Seasons.

I'd like to see larger TV's in the units, DVD players in all rooms, higher quality bedding and pillows, and of course better housekeeping standards...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter