What is your overall impression of MLS?

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
What is your overall impression of MLS? If you follow other leagues, where would you rank the talent level (name a comparative league if you want)? Do you casually tune in if you are a soccer fan or could you careless about your local team? I know soccer/association football is a polarizing sport but I’m curious with Charlotte FC coming into the league in February and Las Vegas probably getting announced soon, has the impression of the league improved. CF Montreal Impact won the Canadian Championship and New England won the Supporters Shield (best record). Was there any buzz in those areas after some silverware was won or did it not even get a mention in local media? The playoffs are currently happening and I know most on this board don’t really care (which is fine). But since the league came into existence in 1996, I’m curious how much of an impression it has left in North America as a whole. To soccer haters that just want disparage the sport for no reason, please don’t respond in this thread. Thanks. :-) ⚽🇺🇸🇨🇦

Last edited:
What is your overall impression of MLS? If you follow other leagues, where would you rank the talent level (name a comparative league if you want)? Do you casually tune in if you are a soccer fan or could you careless about your local team? I know soccer/association football is a polarizing sport but I’m curious with Charlotte FC coming into the league in February and Las Vegas probably getting announced soon, has the impression of the league improved. CF Montreal Impact won the Canadian Championship and New England won the Supporters Shield (best record). Was there any buzz in those areas after some silverware was won or did it not even get a mention in local media? The playoffs are currently happening and I know most on this board don’t really care (which is fine). But since the league came into existence in 1996, I’m curious how much of an impression it has left in North America as a whole. To soccer haters that just want disparage the sport for no reason, please don’t respond in this thread. Thanks. :-) ⚽🇺🇸🇨🇦

I dont like or follow any type of soccer but admire you for always pimping your sport

I dont like or follow any type of soccer but admire you for always pimping your sport
Thanks. :-) I like many sports and I know soccer isn’t everyone’s thing. Non soccer fans are welcome to comment. I just don’t want this to become a soccer is boring/I hate the sport thread without some constructive criticism. Thanks for the comment.

The more I see of all professional sports, the more I consider them nothing but billionaire playthings. Millionaire players playing for billionaire amusement, with neither group contributing much to the communities they purport to represent beyond a few minor, token charity events.

And sadly, I think college sports -- particularly football -- are headed in the same direction.

The more I see of all professional sports, the more I consider them nothing but billionaire playthings. Millionaire players playing for billionaire amusement, with neither group contributing much to the communities they purport to represent beyond a few minor, token charity events.

And sadly, I think college sports -- particularly football -- are headed in the same direction.
And often subsidized with tax dollars in the form of publicly owned stadiums and arenas.

Enjoy it. I've been to several home games this season and watched others on tv. Our city is very supportive of our team and the games are a lot of fun. The players seem to do a lot of community events.

The sad thing about all sports is that the players used to be great role models for kids. Not true anymore.

They used to be great role models because the news media purposely didn't report on all of their indiscretions. That doesn't happen now days. The news media reports on everything and no one is above scrutiny.

Well, it did get me out of making a big Thanksgiving dinner since DH's team, the Colorado Rapids had their playoff game. The city lit a bunch of things in burgundy. The Kroenke family owns the team, and the cable channel the games are supposed to be on, and they've been fighting with Comcast years now, so no one can actually watch the games. Otherwise, it interferes with my plans, because the Rapids schedule has to get checked first. But speaking of hardware, the Rocky Mountain Cup (the rivalry trophy between the Rapids and Real Salt Lake) has been in my house a few times. Not too often though, because the Rapids always seem to lose those games.

We actually have a team supposedly in Miami, but they've been forced to play in Ft. Lauderdale since they started. Their big brainstormfart is to build their dream stadium/mall/entertainment venue on the grounds of a City of Miami golf course directly across the street from Miami International Airport. But so far they haven't been able to get all the necessary clearances.

That area is gridlocked much of the day now, so I just can't imagine what traffic would be like trying to get to either the airport or the stadium on a game day/night.

With our heavily-Hispanic population, soccer is very popular in Miami. We live very close to a big county park that is exclusively for soccer. They have schools, camps, leagues, and every imaginable opportunity to play, and it's been a huge success. It's probably the most popular park in a very good county park system. We can drive by at 11 PM almost any night and see zero parking spaces in a huge parking lot -- literally thousands of people there.

But InterMiami? Naw.

Well, it did get me out of making a big Thanksgiving dinner since DH's team, the Colorado Rapids had their playoff game. The city lit a bunch of things in burgundy. The Kroenke family owns the team, and the cable channel the games are supposed to be on, and they've been fighting with Comcast years now, so no one can actually watch the games. Otherwise, it interferes with my plans, because the Rapids schedule has to get checked first. But speaking of hardware, the Rocky Mountain Cup (the rivalry trophy between the Rapids and Real Salt Lake) has been in my house a few times. Not too often though, because the Rapids always seem to lose those games.
That’s very cool. They had a great season though. Your DH should be proud. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter