What's a habit you picked up from your parents?

Habits rather than traits- my Dad was terrible with money and so am I. He had a habit of spending first and figuring out how to pay bills later; me too. Luckily for me I have a person in charge of my money now who helps me budget.

From my Mom, always having homemade baked goods (cookies or bars or brownies or muffins) available in case you have unexpected company. My only change is that I don't always have fresh. I frequently have to grab something out of the stash I keep in the freezer.

From my Dad, having a small tool box with all the basic tools (hammer, pliers, wrenches, tape measure, etc.) I moved into "senior" housing five years ago which has a full-time maintenance person, I have yet to open the box. But if I ever need a 5/32 allen wrench, I have one!

From my Mom - wearing my shoes from morning until night. It drives DH crazy because he grew up in a house where you take your shoes off at the door.

From my Mom: How she food shopped. I remember her always going over the weekly paper from the grocery stores. She'd always tell me, "know your prices." Buy the sale items & stock up on them. Make your menu(s) according to what's on sale.

Ugh. I hate it. But trying to use stuff up before I buy more. Both my parents were depression kids. You just get raised a certain way.

Swearing from my dad. Both of parents love Christmas, so I suppose I got that from them. I got my love of photography from my mom.

Cleaning public restrooms. My mom has a long winded explanation as to why she does it. I just do it so as to avoid being accused of trashing a bathroom.
It’s not like I drag in a mop, but I’ll pick up loose paper using clean paper, then wash my hands.

Saving money. Then saving more money. When you think you have enough money saved, save more.
What are you saving it for? Is there ever a point when you'll think you have enough? :flower3: (Sincere question.)

Last edited:
What are you saving it for? Is there ever a point when you'll think you have enough? (Sincere question.)
We’re saving for retirement and the potential need for long-term care. We also want to leave a substantial amount for our sons (one with autism). We spend money on things we really want or need. We pay cash for cars when we need them. We take vacations when we want to, but economize on everything so we always have a decent amount of savings.

Sentimental hoarding. I keep things far longer than I should.
And cussing. Not vulgar cussing but the common, generic cussing. I have to stop and filter what is going to come out of my mouth. My brain just thinks those words first. It's my natural language. I am sure my priest is tired of hearing that part of my confession :) I am a work in progress.

Keeping things until they no longer work. I had one of those heavy tv's in the wooden cabinet for far too many years but it still worked so why buy the new fangled things LOL I love that commercial on tv where the guy is telling them when they are acting like their parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter