where the coaster & napkin dollars are going

lodgelady

DIS Veteran
Hi all... I've been away from the board for a couple of weeks and am concerned that the usually positive tone of this board has soured. It seems the root of the problem is DVC growing pains and worry over policy changes. I thought I might ease some tension by pointing out a paragraph in the new VM on the OKW page. Under the heading "For your Information" it states that the amenities of coasters, placemats, cloth napkins and mixers (WHICH ARE STILL AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST) have been eliminated as STANDARD ammenities so that all studios could be better equipped with toasters, corkscrews, coffee cups and glasses. High chairs have also been added to units with kitchens. I am assuming that these changes have been made because of member demand for these items. I hope this eases some minds....:earsgirl:

I "think" the mixer is the only item that can be requested from your list. The napkins, placemats and coasters are gone. The wording is a little ambigious. As far as I know, the coffee cups and glasses were always in the studios so listing that as an addition was kind of odd. I do think the toaster being in the unit is an excellent idea. The high chair, well maybe sometime in the next 40 years I'll find a use for it. ;)

I think lodgelady is making a good point. I expect DVC management to fine-tune the "product" over time -- making sure that the DVC experience continues to be very quality, while also keeping expenses under control.

I don't miss the former fake plants in the OKW units. I remember before there were porta-cribs or hair-dryers in OKW units. I remember the key decal that used to be on the shelf by the front door (I thought that was a clever touch). Does anyone remember when the OKW carpets were a orange instead of green?

I'm glad the milk bottle decoration is permanently attached to the shelf, because I'm sure they would "walk off" otherwise. I would really miss that decoration for some strange reason.

On our most recent OKW stay, there were no throw pillows in the unit when we checked in. Presumably, they had "walked off" -- or are they being eliminated? After a call to housekeeping, we were brought replacements.

One of these days I expect to see DVD players replacing the VHS players.

Minor chages. No problem.

When we stayed at OKW in March, we did request placemats, napkins and coasters. Housekeeping delivered them quickly (as well as some potholders, which we realized we didn't have when we needed them). I always go over the list of items that are supposed to be in the unit. Many times, there are things missing. Strange things, like there are less cups or glasses than listed or one less plate. I don't know if things are being broken, wlaking away or are being thrown out by mistake, but they do have to replace a lot of stuff.

We generally don't eat big meals in the rooms, so the placemat/napkin thing isn't that big of a deal to me, especially since you can get them with a call to Housekeeping if you need them. For the snacky stuff we do, paper towels are fine to wipe my mouth when necessary!:)

When we were at Old Key West in March, we requested the place mats, napkins, and pot holders, and got them right away. We cook some meals in because DH and DD love to cook...and we all LOVE to eat!. LOL!

June

Who cares?

Does no coasters, napkins break you from having a great vacation?

I don't understand why this concerns so many people? Maybe my expectations are lower, but I feel that the necessities of a room would be: (extremely) clean room/baths, lighted areas, helpful, friendly employees, clean and well-maintained pool, and beautiful weather (well, Disney can't control that, yet).

I say, No coasters ~ No big deal.

Have a DVC day.

I like coasters because I do not like rings on the furniture. I don't like using paper towels for this as it looks tacky, IMHO.
I like placemats and napkins because it looks nice and I use napkins, not my sleeve or a tablecloth or a rough paper towel. I also use dishes, not paper plates or paper towels for my food. I am picky. I am a neat freak. :)
Will my vacation be ruined? Nope, I will request them and see if they are still available. I will also pack some to take with me.
I will also bring some coasters with me.

The VM paragraph I referred to in my original post indicated that DVC was trying to standardize equipment at all properties...so I guess they were tired of paying people to run toasters up to the studios!

My only concern is whether the lack of coasters or placemats will increase wear on any of hte furniture in the units so that we will end up paying for it in the long run. Otherwise, I don't think I'll miss them.

I do not miss placemats and coasters. In all honesty, I put them away and never used them anyway (we also don't mind using paper towels as napkins). We have done extensive cooking at OKW and have never used a mixer. I think Disney had done a good job determining what items can be eliminated.

Well, my two daughters (5 and 9) are sure going to be sad if there are no napkins/placemats in the room! They always remember that about OKW and how they love to play house with them. It's funny because we just spent a few days down in Ocean City, MD and they were both talking about how the hotel wasn't as good as OKW because they had no placemats and napkins!

So much for magical memories, eh? We take them down to Disneyworld and the best part for them is the napkins and placemats!!

Well, it may be no big deal to some, but personally I am disappointed to see things like the placemats, napkins, coasters, plants and mixers taken away. They were nice, cozy "touches" to what is referred to as our "home." It's a shame things have to be eliminated in one place so that something can be added in another. Economics, I guess. I wonder what else is going to be taken away in the future???? That is what troubles me when these things happen. It is not that the coasters are gone, but that it seems to be a trend. What will be eliminated next?? Will I o worry about this and let it ruin my vacation-- of course not!!

If they want to really "standardize" the properties then I suppose they have ordered the VCRs for the studios to be standard with the ones in HH's studios. Getting rid of coasters is beyond cheap and will just result in even more rings on the wood furniture but I don't wish to be accused of complaining too much so ......mum is the word.

Well of course OKW fan,
Because you don't use these items, then Disney made the right decision, in your opinion.
In mine, I did use them, including the mixer, and I will miss them.
IMHO, they did the wrong thing.
A highchair is useless to me, do I think Disney made the wrong decision in putting one in there, NO, I think it was a great decision and a time saver for those who have children that need them and for housekeeping, so they won't have to shlep them around.
Now, I don't use the vacuum, never have, never will, in keeping with your thoughts, we should remove that. Lots of people don't use the iron and board, should that go to?
What you find useless to you may well be useful to others.

I agree with PKK and Gail -- While certain changes don't effect someone, maybe the next one will.

I can appreciate that they try to keep our dues down but I don't think eliminating all the special touches in the units is necessarily the best way to go. Just like cutting back on towels and soaps wasn't that big a deal it's still annoying. Yes, I might want an extra towel on one trip out of a dozen. But I rarely attend the member parties and have no children that participate in the Community Hall events. I certainly have no use for the high chair either. How about a trade off? My towel for another member child's craft project?

I would rather pay a little more in dues to keep the deluxe resort feel rather than constantly cut corners to save a few dollars.

Pam,
Pentex's children have the perfect solution to the craft projects and napkin placemat thing, they, to those kids, ARE craft projects.
See, get the kids to play with the placemats and napkins and viola, you can save money on the craft projects. ;)
Pentex, I had to chuckle when I read your post. :) Thanks for making me smile.

Gail, you had to hear my 8 year old when I told her...it's like the end of the world! I just hope they still have the ice bucket or I don't know what the kids will do!

I do agree with you guys on not liking this getting rid of the small touches. I do cook in the room on occasion (I don't do it often at home, so I do something different on vacation!). I just love setting up that table with the seagreen placemats and napkins. It may sound dorky, but that was real special to me.

I also think adding high chairs to all kitchen units is not necessary. Although I could still use it (my little one is petite and fidgety), I think it's excessive to stock all rooms with them. Many people won't use them and they'll be in the way. I never mind calling to get them and have even picked them up myself from Housekeeping when they were too busy.

I still love my DVC, but I will miss these touches.

Why not make one of the children's craft projects knitting napkins/placemats/coasters - kill two birds with one stone.

We don't need no stinkin' child labor laws...

RD&H...

P.S. I'll probably get more grief for bird killing than the child labor thing...

P.P.S. To me it's Monday, so take it easy on me...
:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter