where the coaster & napkin dollars are going

Doctor P,

I agree with you about the "wear and tear" on the furniture due to lack of coasters. This was especially obvious to me at our most recent stay at VWL where the much of the furniture appears to be polished wood that can easily be damaged by water rings. Of course, even if coasters were provided, not everyone would bother to use them. :(

Now that I've read these posts, I wonder if I could have requested coasters at VWL where they may never have had them. :confused: Perhaps they would have to call over to OKW for them. :D

Pentex,
LOL. well I don't think the ice bucket is on the "hit" list.
As to the coasters and rings, I totally agree, but, as one poster put it, they put them away anyway. Sad.

I missed the placemats and napkins last trip. We were just set to eat and then I noticed - no settings to make the table nice. I could of called but by the time I moved the unused highchair out of the way so I could open the cabinet, dinner was ready!

A two bedroom, depending on day of week and season go for 24 to 64 points a nite on average. A point has a value of 10 dollars so for example if 220 points are used than the "street" value can be $2200 for this stay. You have a very nice friend as she has the chance to sell her unused points on this board.

I find that by trying to make all DVC's the same is taking things away from those of us who where in virtually from the beginning. Gail has been there since practically day one. Remember the peach towels, nice soft peach sheets, scales in all the bathrooms??? All gone because people had a tendency to steal them. We even had different color towels at the pool. This was done because back in the beginning, they wanted the DVC to be different than any of the other resorts. Well, now they are trying to make it just like all of the other resorts. I think it is wrong and am put off by it. Ruin my vacations? No, not at all.
Debbie

I just today returned from 10 days in a one bedroom at the BWV. There definately was no placemats, napkins, coasters, plants, mixers or pot holders in the room. Personally I didn't miss the other stuff the the pot holders were missed. I was using a towel to take a pizza out of the oven, and it was hot and I dropped it. It splatted all over the oven door and really made a mess. I cleaned it up the best I could, but I'm sure housekeeping is cleaning that oven tonight.

I felt bad and made a note to bring my own pot holders next trip.

I also noticed the tables were showing a worn looking look to them from people putting stuff on them with no protection on the table.

It didn't spoil my trip, but it was noticable.

Debbie,
I honestly do not remember the peach towels, sheets or the scales. Maybe they took them out by my first trip to a GV in 92.
I do remember that the last trip still had those fake plants . I think they look nice.
When I arrive I usually do an inventory and call for the things I need. Pot holders are usually first on the list. Housekeeping is wonderful about bringing stuff rapidly.
None of these missing items will ruin my vacation, but, it sort of saddens me to see them missing. The items set the DVC apart from other resorts.
I plan to put the highchair out on the balcony, IMHO it is just a stubbed toe looking to happen. :)

It appears from what other members are saying that you can still request coasters and placemats. We are in the process of purchasing points at OKW. We have been "guests" for the last five years and finally decided to make the purchase. As a result, we will lose our daily housekeeping services (which included loading the dishwasher and making the beds), soap&shampoo, etc. While traumatic, the benefits of ownership far outweigh these losses and we are extremely happy. I guess that is why the loss of coasters does not seem that significant.

I don't look at it like items are being "taken away" from me. I figure there has been a financial analysis done and it was determined that the cost of replacing these frequently damaged/missing items did not outweigh the benefits of continually replacing them. I would be interested in knowing what percentage of the yearly fees went towards these items.

Gail.

We were at OKW this weekend - and that highchair fit nicely in the front closet - by the vacuum cleaner - something ELSE we never use.... (But nice to have ... just in case...)

And - there "is" still an artificial plant in the Master BR (on top of the entertainment center).

I plan to put the highchair out on the balcony, IMHO it is just a stubbed toe looking to happen.

LOL!! That was one of my first thoughts when I read about the high chair....Beth, your idea was my second thought when I considered thunderstorms.

I like having the vaccuum and I think having them in the units makes it easier on housekeeping. However, I could do without the crib and now the high chair. These items are just taking up space in the units. Are there really that many infants/toddlers that "on demand" delivery is an inconvenience?

I agree with PamOKW. We've been in DVC since 1993 and have had two infants there many times (my kids are now 5 and 8). I never minded whatsover waiting for the highchair. I was just really happy that there was even the possibility of getting one...who cares if you have to call and ask for it? As far as the travel crib, we never even used that since they also had the full sized cribs and we asked for those.

I think more people would use the mats, napkins, oven mitts than would use highchairs. It's a shame if the reason is that people were stealing them. That is so petty.

I actually called housekeeping when I saw that we had a highchair in the room. I figured we sure didn't need it and some poor soul with a few little ones would. They chuckled when I said we had this chair and felt that someone might need it and it is available and then told that all rooms had one. News to us as we were there in June with no highchair but we did have placemats!!

The front closet by the vacuum decoration is a great idea, but, my DD will be with us, along with another couple in a two bedroom lockoff, sooooo, she will have to use the closet for her clothes (she will no doubt bring enough for a month). So, it is out on the balcony with the hc.

I think the point is that the value of an item is a matter of personal preference but tradeoffs and decisions must be made. I certainly have no use for a highchair (and did not even know there was a vacuum cleaner in the room) but understand that may be a high priority for other members. Ironically, I was sad to hear the artificial plant is gone but will never let something like that sour my attitude!

Perhaps it would be best to express your concerns to Disney directly as they do not share your opinion that missing coasters will result in mass destruction of furniture (especially since they are not included at newer resorts!)

Cheer up Disney Veteran, we are a part of one of the best vacation resorts in the world!!

I used the placemats, napkins, and napkin rings. I vacuumed every day.......my hubby is a snacker and a bit messy and all those crumbs drive me crazy.

As far as the absence of items having a negative effect on my vacation - NO. But I do view my stay at WDW as being at home.....I don't like drinks on the endtables without coasters, we use cloth napkins and crumbs on the carpet attract bugs. Why would I treat WDW any different. I don't allow wet bathing suits on my sofa here, why would I there?

As far as the high chair........it will go in the closet or on the patio.

I keep going back to this post, and have been wondering over the past few days why it keeps nagging at me, (I am not loosing sleep however). The reason I read that we no longer have these items is for uniformity. Do we really want all DVC to be uniform. I kind of like the uniqueness of each property. Will I be crushed if one place has napkins and another property has coasters. Nope. But I do like the extras, and love to see how the decorators make our homes nicer than home. I miss the little touches that make each property unique.

Lil sounds great. Unfortunately, I don't use coasters at home and certainly don't vacuum every day! However, I do insist that my family eat all food (even snacks) at the table and would not leave a highchair out on the patio.

It is meeting people from all different backgrounds, that share a common love of Disney, that makes DVC so great.

In the name of uniformity, several items were removed.

However, OKW added high chairs.

Hmmmm....seems a bit of an oxymoron?

Many beverage establishments have a somewhat durable reuseable/disposable pressboard coasters with their logo on it. Maybe DVC could have some printed with DVC logo and phone number on it. It would help save the furniture, and since many people would take as souvieners, it would provide free advertisment. Money could come from the DVC advertising budget, they certainly have money there (think about the thousand of books and tapes sent out each year). ;)

Maybe this could work for napkins as well??

I think that the main reason for the addition of the high chairs is so they won't have to be carried up and down the steps. For those of you that don't require them....stick them in the closet with the vc. Just remember that many of those little ones in the strollers do need the high chairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter