Who Fartleked?: Putting the FUN back in the RUN - all the way to Goofy '09

PhoenixRising262

“Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, t
Well hello there! :wave:

Two years ago I started with a goal of running the half, was quickly convinced to run the full, so I planned and analyzed and ran and planned and analyzed and eventually accomplished my goal and completed the full Disney marathon. Last year my dream turned into completing the Goofy Challenge, so I planned and analyzed and ran and planned and analyzed and eventually accomplished my goal and completed the Goofy Challenge.

This year I needed a new goal, so I planned and analyzed and planned and….goodness…wait a minute, I think I ended up doing more planning and analyzing than actually just relaxing and having a good time! It’s time to have FUN out there!! Time for a new journal…time to stop overanalyzing everything….down with the heavy duty over involved running stuff….stop the insanity….burn it all to a crisp….let a new me rise up from the ashes (but not before chomping on some of that yummy cinnamon!)….a leaner, meaner, stronger and MORE FUN me…..PhoenixRising262!!

(was that dramatic enough? ….kind of had the steam taken from me when someone posted a nice & clean sparkly shiny new journal with an awesome catch phrase and killer goals for the year….(and a pretty smokin’ photo too) wait, can you put parenthesis within parenthesis?...anyway, this is the best that I could come up with…my apologies for the lacklusterness (is that a word?)….)

The goal is simple. HAVE FUN! I’m choosing fun events to run in super fun places. Sure, the competitiveness is still there, and I will still push myself from time to time to see what I can pull off, but I want to have a blast each and every time I step onto that race route….every time I climb on to the elliptical….every time I ‘roll like a ball’….every time I lace up those running shoes (especially the black ones…love those!)

So some creativity has gone into the planning. This year will be anchored by three major events. A trio, a troika, a triumvirate…the “holy trinity” (thanks Amy!) if you will of Disney racing….the 5k and 15k races during Minnie Marathon Weekend in WDW in May ::MinnieMo ….the Disneyland Half Marathon in August :tink: …and the Goofy Challenge in WDW in January :goofy: .

In between all of those, I’ll probably be competing in some various local races and who knows…maybe even some craziness out of state….but whatever I choose to do…I’ll HAVE FUN! :goodvibes:

Thanks for your support and kindness, for following along with my various journeys and for urging me to continue journaling….after all, it is kind of fun ;)
(oh and my previous moniker isn’t going anywhere…see this one as sort of a pen name….Stephen King has one, Nora Roberts has one, Samuel Clemens had one, Garth Brooks failed with one…so I figured, why not!)

Take care everyone!

This was a dumb idea the more I think about it. :rotfl:

I don't think it's dumb! I thought it was pretty funny myself! :goodvibes

(I just think everyone is looking for ScoJo15...)

Stacie

Scott..... Is that you?:magnify:

Just kidding!;) :lmao:

I think your new journal is very creative!:goodvibes You're a good writer and all good writers should have a clever pen name. Very cool!:hippie:

Hey Scott---love the new journal! Although I am going to have to get used to looking for the new title and name!

Sounds like you have a great plan for 08/09 and I love the title of the 'tour'.

Glad you decided to keep up with your journal, I always enjoy reading about your progress!!

No wonder I couldn't find your new journal. :laughing: Personally, I love it. :thumbsup2 I think what I will enjoy the most (if you keep doing it) is that ScoJo will be posting on P.R.242's journal (sorry for the nickname already). I think you're hysterical, as well as superman...so I'm signing up for another year of laughs, amazement, enlightenment and awe. :yay:

Not sure if you'll be able to hang around that extra 1/2 hour after you've finished the Minnie 5k to see me finish :rotfl: , but I do hope to get a chance to meet you guys for real down there!

:rotfl: no Chris Gaines...LOL!! Good one Kim :goodvibes:

So here we go, back at attempting a full week of training. The weather sure didn't cooperate as we had a chilly rain falling in the upper 30s. With freezing rain warnings abound for the area, I decided to tread-run again.

I mixed it up though and had some fun! (boy, THAT'S gonna get old LOL) I set the treadmill for hills and ended up ascending various levels of incline (0-1.5) during my 4 mile run. Made things interesting and passed the time on the machine a little better.

Back to the elliptical or cycle or both tomorrow...and I'll follow that with another 4 mile run on Thursday.

Thanks to everyone for allowing me to be a little Goofy on here (happens after you partake in the challenge LOL)...

Have a great night!

Welp...another workout in the books. I ellipticized for 40 minutes tonight...thankfully it was one of those workouts where I felt like I could go on forever and that time was flying by. That doesn't happen much while cross training, so when it does it's a welcome feeling for sure.

I spent some time today researching local fitness centers in hopes of finding a mix of pilates, spin (or good cardio) class, good workout equipment and a pool. There is nothing wrong with my local FC, but I feel the need for some diversity.

The best place that I found was my newly opened up YMCA. They have swim, pilates, spin...treadmills, ellipticals...basketball...and a membership that is good nationwide at any Y. The rate was very reasonable when compared to others (Bally's, Gold's Gym, etc), especially factoring in the extra stuff offered.

So...I've got to go check it out here sometime soon and make a determination on what I want to do. I LOVE the convenience of having a great FC nearby, but the options are limited, especially with the cardio classes (and NO pilates).

Besides, switching workout facilites may be a FUN thing to do :)

Also, I tooled around a bit looking for some local events to participate in. So far I found the Silver Comet 10k on March 8th, Hoya and Hare 5k on March 22, ING Georgia Half Marathon on March 29 and a duathlon at Callaway Gardens on May 10th.

I'm pretty curious about the duathlon...it's a 5k run followed by a 30k bike followed by a 5k run. I can't do triathlons yet (read: Scott can't swim) so this may be a great alternative. Bonus is the 30k bike ride...it's what I was doing every Saturday during the fall so I'm familiar with the distance.

All events are just on the radar and I haven't committed to anything yet at all. I do have to say that I have the itch to get out there and compete :)

I hope all is well with everyone.

Whew! You go boy! Do it all!!!

I LOVE (no, I take that back, LIKE) my FC... They have pool!!! Not good nation-wide, but it works... No basketball court either. Matt LOVES basketball, but never has anywhere to play. The more I think about it, the less I like my FC...

Glad to hear all is well and your ellipticising went well tonight!

So...exactly what do you do for work??? Change your signature daily and research fitness centers??? hmmm??? What exactly does Under Construction mean anyway??? :confused3 You adding all those 5 and 10Ks and duathons?

Hope you have a great night!
Stacie

Good luck with the fitness center search! I'm sure you'll find one that suits all of your needs. I agree that mixing it up will keep things exciting. :goodvibes

I really think that a duathlon would be PERFECT for you! Can't wait to hear what events you decide to do.

The funny thing is that my overly large subdivison has this huge aquatic center...2 acres...massive pool with two big slides, fountains...putt putt course...4 basketball courts...32 tennis courts (8 clay)....and an 18 hole golf course.

But the pool is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day...so I need something indoors where I can take lessons. My place is great, but just doesn't have what I really need (the cardio classes). Sounds odd, I know...

Work...hmmm, let's see...I sit around thinking up customized training plans from beginners to marathoners, complete with full nutritional advice and core work programs...the book and website will be out soon. :goodvibes:

Actually, I work in the IT field for a company that produces gift cards (Visa, dept store, wireless, internet, etc). So basically I'm on a PC 24/7 and thus have the time to fool around on here a lot. I kind of want to switch careers sometime in the near future...maybe go into real estate sales and catch the boom when the economy turns around.

I'm one of those people who comes up with grand plans (in my own mind) but lacks the necessary follow through to make them happen (probably not good for real estate sales LOL).

Kind of why I enjoy running so much...it's something that I do follow through with...and allows me to escape the world for a while a few times each week.

(starting to slip off into a tangent here....will quit while I'm ahead LOL)

Anyway...I'm a bit chatty tonight...anyone see the "Moment of Truth" show??? I've only seen the first little bit, but I recorded it to watch later...man, it's pretty awesome! So tense!

OMG...have I NOT posted in your new journal yet? Oops! LOL. I'm sorry buddy...:flower3:

I love it. Great concept...if not a little confusing. Multiple personalities...shall we start calling you Brit? KIDDING! :laughing:

I think it's GREAT to mix up the workouts. You've been doing the elliptical, bike, run thing for so long that it would be a nice change for your body to add a new challenge, like swimming or spinning classes. I also think it's great to get to a pilates class. The DVDs are great...but it's also nice to get some instruction in person once in a while. GOOD LUCK finding a place that works for you!!! :goodvibes

Haven't seen the Moment of Truth...not able to stay up late right now b/c this cold is kind of kickin' my butt. :( But I'll watch it next week for sure! :thumbsup2 THEN we can dish!!!

OK....I have to hit a few journals here today...including mine.

The funny thing is that my overly large subdivison has this huge aquatic center...2 acres...massive pool with two big slides, fountains...putt putt course...4 basketball courts...32 tennis courts (8 clay)....and an 18 hole golf course.

WOW! Sounds impressive. My neighborhood is one street. That's it. VERY boring!!! I do wish we lived in nicer, bigger neighborhood. :snooty: lol! Running up and down one street is about to kill me!

Yeah, I have a desk job too. I work for Caterpillar--you know the big, yellow, earth moving equipment. I work for the World Wide Director of Product Management. He manages the Product Managers for our Division. Lots of managing go on here. I pretty much manage him though! lol! :lmao: I control his calendar, meetings, travel...

So can you slip me some gift cards??? jk! :goodvibes

Speaking of customized training plans...Thanks for all your advice! Waiting for the book and website! I think I'm definately going to need some nutricial advise. I still struggle with that! We are really bad for eating cereal for dinner. Who has time to cook!

I tend to be the same way with the follow through. I am a HUGE procrastinator! That's why I have to have goal to reach. The 5K, Minnie 15K...something to keep me moving.

Yeah, so I guess I'm the chatty one now!

Oh, what it the Moment of Truth? I don't think I've heard of it???

Ok--off now. Going to go chase down AmyBeth in her journal!

Stacie

Hmmmm...cereal for dinner. I don't know ANYBODY who would choose to eat cereal...or say.... a grilled cheese for dinner. :confused3

And I agree Stacie...:snooty: :snooty: :snooty:

OK...kidding Scott. But an "aquatic center"? Seriously? In my day they called it a pool. :laughing:

*sigh* I think it's official "pick on Scott day"

Trying to figure out how to be less lame today in your journal. Stay tuned....popcorn::

Here Scott...this should cheer ya up ;). A couple of Princesses...

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

2052804860081832382DKwuWN_th.jpg

Hi, Scott. LOVE your new journal.

I am seriously behind here, so first of all let me say CONGRATULATIONS on your successful Goofy runs! I read your account of the half and full marathon and I am IN AWE of how much pain you ran through.:worship: You so rock!!! I knew you would, but still to read about it is just amazing.

I want you to know that when I am out there training and I start feeling like I can't do it, I THINK OF YOU!! You are an inspiration to me EVERY DAY and I can't thank you enough for sharing your journey so that newbies like me can benefit from it. Thank you SO MUCH for your encouragement in my journal. I am SUPER EXCITED to meet you in May and I hope we all get to hang out a bit so we can get to know each other a little better.

Your workouts sound as if they are going well for you, and I hope you are able to find a facility that meets your needs soon. I am with Stacie, still running up and down the one street in front of my house, but I am sure you need more variety than that with all the long runs and other activities you pack into a week.

Hope you have a super day - and I say again, YOU ROCK!!!

Susan

You guys are too funny! Thanks for the laughs!!:rotfl:

I think it's a great idea to mix up your workouts a bit. :thumbsup2

Didn't watch the Moment of Truth yet....I set my DVR to record it and then deleted it to record something else. Was it really intense?

Hope you have a great day, Scott! Thanks for the recommendation in my journal!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter