• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Are You Doing This Disney World?

I actually been there a few times and your right its all kinds of fun, but the biggest of my reasons in the price
I get that. That is one of the reasons I don't go (much) anymore. Last time was 4 years ago, next planned trip not for 2 years. I can do my road trips for 1/2 (or less) of what I can for Disneyland.

I'm sorry it's not working out for you but you said the reason why Disney is doing what they're doing. They're busier than ever. Why would they do it for cheaper?

You can actually go to the budget board and see how people afford these trips for alot less. For my family we use the Disney visa and JetBlue top tier card and rack up points. So most our food and flights are covered just from our regular purchases.

Honestly, the cost that ticks me off is that we now have to pay to park at the hotel. It's absolutely ridiculous. There's no value added then there was before they added that cost.
That just about every hotel I’ve been at over the past several years. They re All doing it and I agree, it’s ridiculous! Oh... and daily fees atop that 🙄

I got a bit bored and decided to tally up what a "bare bones" DLR trip would look like from the east coast for a long weekend.

Test case: August 7-10, 2020 (3 nights) for 3 adults
JFK - LAX R/T airfare = $891 ($297pp), American Airlines
Rental car = $278, Alamo (via Costco)
Hotel = $623, Tropicana Inn and Suites (Harbor Blvd across from esplanade)
Park tickets = $1185, 4-day park hopper

Total fixed costs = $2977 (not incl. gas, parking, meals, and incidentals)

Of which, 40% is the cost of attendance. If you sub out Disney altogether, and do 2 days at Universal Studios ($169pp), 1 day at Knott's Berry Farm ($55/pp), and 1 day doing the Warner Brothers Studio Tour ($79/pp). = $909 for 3 adults.

So technically, really, the "Disney premium" here is +$276, or $92/pp.

I get that I will spend a riverboat full money at Disneyland, way more than any of those other locations, but that's controllable. You can still pack a lunch going to DL (I have embarrassing parent stories about that).

IMO, +$92/pp is worth the Disney premium over comparable attractions.

You only need the rental car if you are going multiple other places in LA. I stopped renting cars 5 years ago and now just use Lyft to get around.

Unfortunately everything cost more these days. Would love to pay these rates again but it's not gonna happen.

disney rates.jpg

This is why I am looking for alternative options for my family to enjoy vacations and find some of those magical experiences at other theme parks.

The obvious choice in Disneyland. We like it better because you can stay at offsite hotels that are a 10 minute walk to the front gate, the place requires little to no planning, and the weather is far superior to Florida.

Sorry you’re feeling that way OP.. sounds like your more disappointed at the cost more than anything. It’s a choice. A Disney Vacation is a Want, not a need... some people never get to experience it, For some a once in a lifetime, some grow up on it and become annual pass holders (me) and go multiple times a year.
There are many ways to visit Disney and so many ways to save costs, But... there are also so many places besides Disney that provide Excellent Vacations across the US and the world.
just sounds like Disney isn’t for you right now, financially or planning wise so Go Explore and have an Awesome vacation elsewhere! You ll love it!

You only need the rental car if you are going multiple other places in LA. I stopped renting cars 5 years ago and now just use Lyft to get around.

I’m a former local, so not having a car in Southern California would drive me nuts:scared:

We frequently eat off park and fold in San Diego when we’re down south... that’s sort of the beauty of it, you have more non-Disney options but it sometimes requires some transport logistics. Southland freeways for the uninitiated can be rough :/

I’m a former local, so not having a car in Southern California would drive me nuts:scared:

When we go to just Disney we just walk everywhere and take Lyft from the airport. When we went to Knott's, Santa Monica, Getty, and Universal we rented a car.

Disney has a special place in my heart that will stay forever , but it just dont make sense to do it anymore
This is how I feel right now. We were going a lot as in 4 times last year for 7-10 days each stay at a Deluxe resort. The one positive thing that has come from Covid-19 is it forced us to cancel our trips and gave me the discipline I needed. Now, for the moment it makes no since to go.

There are amazing inexpensive options right in the Orlando Area. One of the most beautiful areas of the US are the Springs of Central Florida. For a $5 per car admission you could go to Rock Spring at Kelly Park or Wekiva Springs; Juniper , Alexander, or Salt Spring in Ocala National Forest. Blue or DeLeon Spring State Parks. US tourism at it's finest.

Then go to the Morse Museum of Art in Winter Park which features a unique collection of Tiffany glass, and Eatonville, the first African-American incorporated town in the U.S.

I find Hawaii much cheaper than visiting WDW.

I suggest checking out Disneyland. It's much more affordable due to all of the local hotels nearby. And because the parks are pretty small, you can go on a lot of rides in very little time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter