• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why Are You Doing This Disney World?

Tickets are expensive. Travel can be expensive although right now I think it’s fairly cheap to fly. That won’t last forever.

The rest of the costs you can control more. There’s no need to stay at a deluxe hotel. They have moderates and values. There’s no need to eat at expensive restaurants, fo the dessert patties or other special things.

But as others have said, if it’s not working for you right now, explore the rest of the country. There are amazing places in the USA.

I'm sorry I really don't understand those who complain about the high prices at Disney. There's a lot of things I'd like to do that simply cost too much for me to do. Do I like it? No. Do I need to post a long diatribe about how those things aren't "within reach of the middle class"? No. The bottom line is they charge what they charge AND the parks are still crowded. Raising cost is actually one way to "thin the herd". Think about how crowded it would be if it was cheaper.

As far as the "you must plan 6 months in advance"? BS. A couple years ago (2017), we decided to go to MK on 12/26... arguably during the busiest week of the year. We got our tickets on 12/25. ONE day before the trip. So that's when we were able to book FP. You think we didn't get to go on any thing? Think again.

BTMRR
Pluto M&G
Pirates
Small World
Stitch's Escape
Stitch M&G
Monster's Laugh Floor
People Mover
Carousel of Progress
Train
Space Mountain
Lunch, Dole Whips, Ice cream, some shopping.

We were in the park for 11 hours. Obviously we missed some "big names", but we've done most of MK before. And before someone says "how do you remember everything you did from two years ago", I had texted my mom that night as we were walking out of the park.

I just looked it up and it costs $1,100 for my wife, my son (starting next year), and myself to visit Disney for 3 days. This does not include travel, hotel, parking and/or resort fees, and food. Add all of this together and we would be looking at about $1,000 a day to visit Disney World overall. The trip would cost probably a month's salary to attend a 4 night/3 day vacation. I know it is a magical place for families, but is it really worth it?
No. Buying 2 or 3 day tickets is never worth it, IMO. Disney is expensive. No doubt. But it can be way less expensive in the long run if you avoid buying short term tickets.

Go on a longer trip if you can. Try to take advantage of free dining and stick with quick service and stay at a value resort. Tons of fun and zero ADR planning.

If you can only get away for 2 or 3 days at a time, consider purchasing AP’s and try to go frequently in a year and then take a break for a couple of years. Again, stay at a value or even off site if you have a car. Use AP discounts when you can.

After a couple of disappointing trips WDW is now an add on vacation for us. We usually do a cruise and then tack on a couple of days at Disney. The only way I'll go back for a week is to take my grandchildren.

Here's the thing, it's always been expensive, prices have gone up everywhere. We started going back in the early 80s, it took me 2 years to save for a week trip for my young son and myself. When I say save I mean hard core saving with not even going to fast food except maybe once a month then I'd share a happy meal with my son. On the off year we would take a long weekend somewhere local. My son knew what we were saving so hard for and was on board, even at 3 years old. As years have gone on, my financial situation has gotten better, he got way older and we started going once a year. Then I started going on solo trips and going twice a year. I don't finance my trips, I pay for everything out of funds I have but even now there are give and takes and sometimes those trips are only 4 nights and split stays.

As far as planning in advance, we don't make a single fast pass or ADR any more in advance than night before. Most FPs and ADRs are made day of. Way back before FP if you wanted to ride a ride you stood in line so we still do that and I make a FP for the next ride while in line. I never make more than one at a time and never more than 30 min. from when we get off a ride. We just don't like our days planned out. We always have PHs and often if a park gets busy we just hop over to another one. I get on MDE in the afternoon and find somewhere to eat that night and have never not been able to find somewhere, even CG and other hard to get places. Oh wait, I just realized I lied. I did book V&A's 3 weeks in advance of a trip once.

It is what you make of it and what you want from it. I can actually go to WDW for 4 nights for less than I can go to my favorite beach resort in Georgia and that includes buying tickets and food, staying at Dolphin. In all fairness, my favorite beach resort is Jekyll Island Club and it's pretty high end but still, it's doable.

If Disney is always crowded with high prices, then they're more than meeting their demand and for them to lower prices to make things even MORE crowded wouldn't make business sense, while also taking away from the guest experience.

For a few years, Disney was being stagnant and not adding a lot of attractions, but that's started to change and I think, prior to the current situation, they were looking good for adding a lot of new things around the different parks to help even out the crowds (MK being by far the most popular)

I have not read all the posts just the OP at this point but I wanted to say WDW has always been expensive. When you were going as kid you probably didn’t realize how expensive it was because you were not paying for it. Now that you have a family with kids you realize how things begin to add up. Also, when are you are a young family (at least in my experience) money is tighter. It is expensive to go to WDW but you don’t need to attend any of the “parties”, character meals, expensive table service restaurants or other extras to have a good time. In fact, I think kids have just as much fun without all those extras. Most kids are really happy with just riding the rides and enjoying the hotel pool. The parents will probably enjoy it more not having all the stress of trying to be everywhere and do everything. Keep it simple and basic.

Some of my favorite memories as a child are going to the theme parks in Orlando. I remember spending a number of spring breaks with family visiting Disney World, Universal, and Sea World. Due to my love of Orlando and the parks, I even did the Disney College Program. It taught me that I did not want to work on the front line at Disney forever, but it was great experience. My wife and I also honeymooned and spent our first anniversary at Disney World. The sad thing is that Disney World has changed a lot since I was a child. Even since my honeymoon five years ago, things are not the same to where I am certain we would have honeymooned somewhere else. Now that I have a family and want to share some of my love of theme parks and Orlando with my son, that is becoming a distant dream which only may be achieved once in my children's life.
I just looked it up and it costs $1,100 for my wife, my son (starting next year), and myself to visit Disney for 3 days. This does not include travel, hotel, parking and/or resort fees, and food. Add all of this together and we would be looking at about $1,000 a day to visit Disney World overall. The trip would cost probably a month's salary to attend a 4 night/3 day vacation. I know it is a magical place for families, but is it really worth it? Disney World has clearly priced out the average American family it seems. I want to share my love for Disney with my children, but my relationship with Disney has soured due to the current practices of the parks. Over the last decade, Disney World has increased costs, continues to add fine dining options, fancy dessert parties, and essentially any way to nickle and dime guests. Disney World appears to be catering to the couples without families who are obsessed with Disney these days.
That is the thing, as Disney World does all of this, the parks are more crowded than ever. Waits for rides are more than ever. It used to be that a couple popular rides would be an hour or two wait, but now more rides have long waits. Why spend $1,000 a day to wait in line and ride fewer rides than previously. It saddens me to say these things, but it is just getting too much. Disney's popularity continues to soar with more people wanting to visit regularly, purchase DVC rentals, come to the parks "Disney-bounded" in their favorite character apparel, and purchase anything Disney World they can get their hands on. I am not complaining about these people for their love since I am partially one of them. The feelings Disney World provides of escapism, joy, and family memories is extremely difficult to recreate. I will write more about how I had to cut down on my Disney addiction later, but for now I just wanted to express my current feelings.
The last thing that makes Disney World harder than ever to visit is all of the planning. Which other vacation do you have to decide where you will be eating dinner and make reservations 6 months in advance? Where else do you have to select which rides you would prefer to go on 2 months in advance? It has become an art in order to plan a Disney vacation. I remember when people asked where my wife and I would be honeymooning, they asked "why are you not going someplace relaxing?" It is true. In no way is a Disney World vacation relaxing anymore where you can just stroll the park and play it by ear as to what you will do. Waking up at 5:00am the day you can make your first dining reservations, it becomes an all out war to ensure that your family is able to do and eat what you hoped for.
Despite all of this, there is still a place in my heart for Disney World. Sadly that place is diminishing as Disney continues to make visiting the parks more expensive and complex. I understand everything with our world is going the same way, but I wish that Disney World would again think about serving families to allow them to visit the magic, instead of looking for another way to make a buck. Sadly, I am not sure once the train begins if it can be reversed. This is why I am looking for alternative options for my family to enjoy vacations and find some of those magical experiences at other theme parks. I will probably tackle the Disney World beast for my family once while they are young, but I do not think it will be a regular family vacation sadly.
It sounds like it is the perfect time for you to branch out into this vast country and see all it has to offer.

There are many ways to cut down the cost of a Disney vacation.

The last thing that makes Disney World harder than ever to visit is all of the planning. Which other vacation do you have to decide where you will be eating dinner and make reservations 6 months in advance? Where else do you have to select which rides you would prefer to go on 2 months in advance? It has become an art in order to plan a Disney vacation. I remember when people asked where my wife and I would be honeymooning, they asked "why are you not going someplace relaxing?" It is true. In no way is a Disney World vacation relaxing anymore where you can just stroll the park and play it by ear as to what you will do. Waking up at 5:00am the day you can make your first dining reservations, it becomes an all out war to ensure that your family is able to do and eat what you hoped for.

Despite all of this, there is still a place in my heart for Disney World. Sadly that place is diminishing as Disney continues to make visiting the parks more expensive and complex. I understand everything with our world is going the same way, but I wish that Disney World would again think about serving families to allow them to visit the magic, instead of looking for another way to make a buck. Sadly, I am not sure once the train begins if it can be reversed. This is why I am looking for alternative options for my family to enjoy vacations and find some of those magical experiences at other theme parks. I will probably tackle the Disney World beast for my family once while they are young, but I do not think it will be a regular family vacation sadly.

I understand how you feel. We went to WDW as a family for the first time 2 years ago. It felt like planning the D Day invasion of Normandy for many of the reasons you mentioned. We were there a week and had a great time.

My advice? Try Disneyland. Here's why:

• You don't HAVE to stay on site. MOST people stay off site. It saves you a LOT on the total cost of the trip.
  • Next to staying at the Grand Californian Hotel, THE closest hotel is the Best Western Park Place Inn. It includes a free hot breakfast every morning. That saves you a LOT of money after a few days.
  • ALL of the hotels along Harbor Blvd next to DL are within walking distance. They are off site, but they are usually all a closer walk than walking from the Contemporary to MK.
  • Park hopping is SO MUCH EASIER! When you're standing at the DL entrance, turn around and there's the DCA entrance. You can see it. <5 min to walk to the other park entrance. It's wonderful.
  • You don't need FPs in order to meet characters.
  • Characters roam around a lot. Especially in the morning in Fantasyland. Peter Pan and Captain Hook are often seen walking around. Peter Pan plays games with little kids. Fewer character handlers. Just magic.
  • Fantasmic is a better, more intimate experience.
  • DCA has World of Color!
  • NO getting up at 5:00 am 6 months before your trip to get ADRs. DL ADRs only open up 60 days ahead of time. Special dining packages? 6 weeks ahead of time.
  • You do NOT have to stress about getting an ADR.
  • The weather is not humid. The weather is usually pretty darn GREAT!
  • Eating outside at the French Market in New Orleans Square while the Dixieland jazz band plays is pretty darn great.
  • POTC is a 15 min long ride.
  • The operating hours are usually longer every day compared to WDW.
  • Most of the park guests are locals who live in Southern California. This means that not many people actually get EMH or Magic Morning entry.
  • If you get a 3 or more day ticket, you get Magic Morning entry to DL on Tues, Thurs, or Sat. If DL opens regularly that week at 8 am, then MM entry is at 7. If you stay at an off site hotel across the street, then you can easily WALK to the main entrance at take full advantage of your entire MM hour. We regularly end up being able to go on about 5 Fantasyland rides in that hour. I'm not kidding. It's pretty dang fabulous.
  • You can experience all of the major highlights of DL on a 3 day trip. There's plenty of other awesome stuff to do in Southern California as well, so it's easy to turn that 3 day trip into a week with other attractions in the area. We've done 5 days in DL before and it was so relaxing and wonderful. We stayed at the Howard Johnson's Anaheim on that trip. It's one of my favorite vacations to date.
  • Trader Sam's tiki bar at the Disneyland Hotel is a pretty fun place to take a breather from the parks. Take the monorail from Tomorrowland to DTD.

Also, FPs are way easier. You don't have to reserve your 3 FP+ 60 days ahead of time. In fact, at DL, you CAN'T do this. You can only get FP the day you're in the park.

And I also forgot to add that the Quick Service food options are more varied and better quality than at WDW. So if you want to save money on your food budget, it's easier to do that at DL and not feel like you have to eat burgers, hot dogs, and fries the entire time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter