Why do families bring newborns and infants to Disney Parks so much?

You raise valid points, but as others have said, every family is different. With my first kiddo we brought her to WDW parks at 1.5 years old. She wasn’t very interested, but we had a great time.

She is now 3, and loves Disney characters. Perfect! Her baby brother is 6 months, and so, he comes with.

Plus, we are Disney Vacation Club owners, we go often and our travel plans are different than cash-stay guests.

There is no perfect age for Disney, but everyone has their preference and I try not to judge.

I think the OP was talking about newborns, not those over a year old. I don't think many people have issues with taking kids that are a year old and walking. It is the tiny ones that are just born, have not had any vaccinations, and are very susceptible to illnesses and dehydration that we are talking about. Look how quick a baby can get RSV. Florida is hot, and many people wear their baby, which makes them even hotter and they can not regulate their body temperature yet. I have also seen many without sun hats to protect their heads from the sun and they are too young for sunscreen. There are a bunch of legitimate, medical reasons to not take a newborn to someplace like WDW. I can't imagine any pediatrician would advise it.

And we choose not to live our lives in fear. Accidents can happen just driving across town to the store, swimming in a pool or playing on a playground. I’ve read of kids who have not done anything for the past 18 months - no trick or treating, no parades, no amusement parks, no festivals, no carnivals, no sports, nothing. Those are years that these families will never get back, so I can’t imagine living like that.
But the great thing about living in America is that you are free to live your life your way, and I’m free to live mine how I think is best for my family.

It's not "living in fear", that is not even close to what I am talking about. It is about common sense and knowing that a newborn is very susceptible to illness and dehydration. I am not talking about toddlers, but newborns. There are things that you can not control, like being in a car accident, and those that you can. Like exposing a newborn to thousand's of people, extreme heat, and loud noises. It is a medical fact that newborns are more at risk for diseases and viruses. No one needs to go to an amusement park, it is a luxury. I really don't think that people understand how risky it is for the baby to be exposed like that. In 2014 there was a measles outbreak at DL. Things like that happen and it can kill your baby. It come's down to how much risk a person is willing to take. Having kids for us was not easy and we had a couple of miscarriages. We were not willing to take that kind of risk with our baby because we knew WDW would be there in a year or two. I would not be able to live with myself if my selfish want to go to an amusement park, harmed my baby. As you said, everyone has their limits on what they are willing to do. But my point is not any less valid then anyone else's.

When my parents and I used to go to Disneyland my mom and I were shocked to see so many families with newborns and infants there and I always why families bring infants and newborns to Disney Parks so often? Is it because families want to bring infants and newborns to Disney Parks as the first starter trip? What I see is that the infants will get bored really easily and there's limited rides for infants and newborns. And when Mom and Dad eat at character breakfasts with the older kids the infant will get tired and start crying and the only thing the characters can do with the infants and newborns is wave to them and if you go to the parks at night to see a parade or watch a fireworks show with a infant the sounds can be loud for an infant and causing them to cry and if you want to watch a parade or fireworks show watch it with the older kids while the infant is being watched by a babysitter or have the infant nap while doing this. When families decide to go to Disney Parks wait until the kids are around six which is the age when I went to Disneyland that way they can have fun and memories of their first trip
It’s because families like to go on vacation together and with Disney literally being one of the top vacation destinations in the world it makes sense to see babies there.

When my parents used to go to the grocery store, my mom and I were shocked to see so many families doing their grocery shopping with newborns and infants there and I always wonder why families bring infants and newborns to the grocery store so often? Is it because families want to bring infants and newborns to the grocery store as the first starter trip?

What I see is that the infants get bored really easily and there's limited stuff for them to do. The sounds in the grocery store can be loud for an infant and causing them to cry.

When families decide to go to the grocery store, wait until the kids are around six which is the age when *I* went to the grocery store. That way, they can have fun and memories of their first trip.

The above sounds ridiculous, right? I meant it as tongue-in-cheek.

It's not a big deal when somebody takes their baby to the grocery store. And it's not a big deal when somebody brings their baby with them on a vacation. If you don't want to see babies on vacation, then don't go on vacation. If you don't want to see babies at the grocery store, don't go to the grocery store.
Agreed. And not everyone can afford a babysitter every time they leave the house. My husband and I worked different shifts so I had to take baby along. I don’t know why people spend so much time judging other people’s parenting choices.

When I go on family vacations I take my whole family, and (at the time) it included my kids that were infants.
I don't think I ever took my kids away when they were newborns but that is because they are all winter babies and we don't really travel in the winter for vacations. They were infants in the summer and that is when we went and so did they. Why does anyone really care when other people take their own kids o vacation? MYOB.

I guess with this logic, you wouldn't take your older parent/grandparent who may be forgetting things? Because "they won't remember it"?

One of my favorite Disney memories is the trip we took with 12 family members. My 75 year old mom's dementia was progessing more quickly than expected. She was very physically healthy, but we did get an "old school" wheelchair, and took turns pushing her in the heat of the day. My grandma (mom's mom) LOVED Disney, and especially Small World. My mom was so incredibly happy riding that ride, singing the song, remembering HER mother's love of that attraction - it was truly magical. All four of my siblings and the four grandchildren (the youngest was 1) also were there, and the two little ones took turns riding on her lap in the wheelchair. My mom loved that, and the little ones thought it was super fun too.

Did my mom remember the trip? Likely not, but she did love looking at the photos. The 1 year old and 3 year old don't remember it either, but they love the photos too, and my mom did get to experience Disney with all her kids and grandkids - and that trip was mostly for those of us who DO remember it.

Families most often vacation together. Unless you have an only child or one set of twins/multiples, there will be an "age range" - so you have to make allowances for that. Then there's school timing, job timing, all sorts of factors.

Judging other families for making choices that are best for THEIR family - not sure that's anyone's place. Do what is best for YOUR family.

I'm a local and started bringing our daughter when she was about 7 weeks old. We weren't going for our daughter, we were going for us. We did ride swap so it was no big deal. No regrets

I don't think I'd take a baby until they are at least 6 months, but that's me. Everyone has different situations and opinions.

I did take my 1.5 year old and mommy who was at the time 9 months pregnant. While my little girl loved it, we weren't really there for her, we were there for all of us. Does she remember it now that she's 4.5? Nope. Did we? Oh yeah. Does she love all the pictures and stories? Yep.

We went again when she was almost 3 and here sister was about 8 months. This time was a big family thing with grandma and grandpa who really enjoyed hiking baby around while everyone else went on rides. Again, while of course I wanted my girls to enjoy, and for the most part they did, we weren't there just for them but for the whole family. again my oldest doesn't really remember it and my 8 month old, well she was an 8 month old.LOL

In February it's round 3 for my oldest who will be 5. This one will be the one she remembers.

While I have to admit I cringe a bit when I see a 'parental leave' aged child baking in the hot sun, I understand why the family is there. In todays life, with minimal leave plans (3 weeks IMO is minimal) and level living expense, parental leave is the one time families can be on vacation knowing they are returning home without having to run back to work. While most parental leaves are not paid some people do choose to use a portion of their vacation allotments.

Back in the day we weren't to take the child until public until 4 weeks post delivery when they received the first round of vaccinations. A women I worked with hit the mall on the way home from the hospital and that was back in the late 70's. However, as we experienced with our own GC, as soon as the child was placed in daycare at 12 weeks she contracted RSV.

In February we're taking our 2y GC and 10y GC to Disney. I have to admit that I felt bad about pulling the 10y out of school, especially when the following weekend is President, but EOD we go when we can afford to go.

When my parents and I used to go to Disneyland my mom and I were shocked to see so many families with newborns and infants there and I always why families bring infants and newborns to Disney Parks so often? Is it because families want to bring infants and newborns to Disney Parks as the first starter trip? What I see is that the infants will get bored really easily and there's limited rides for infants and newborns. And when Mom and Dad eat at character breakfasts with the older kids the infant will get tired and start crying and the only thing the characters can do with the infants and newborns is wave to them and if you go to the parks at night to see a parade or watch a fireworks show with a infant the sounds can be loud for an infant and causing them to cry and if you want to watch a parade or fireworks show watch it with the older kids while the infant is being watched by a babysitter or have the infant nap while doing this. When families decide to go to Disney Parks wait until the kids are around six which is the age when I went to Disneyland that way they can have fun and memories of their first trip
We always brought a baby but had a child in our group that was also older so it was really for older kid. Saying that I have to admit the babies were really easy and just ate and slept. And the pictures of our little ones dressed or even in awe of things like fireworks was a special memory for the grown ups.

My first visit to WDW was in 1979. I was 9 months old. I cherish the photos from that trip, with me splashing around in Bay Lake (we stayed at the Contemporary at $55/night). My mom still likes to tell the story about how I was so scared of Captain Hook and I cried when he HELD me (yep, characters used to hold babies). I obviously don't remember it, but I love the fact that I can look at those pictures and know where my Disney obsession came from. And Peter Pan is my favorite movie, so obviously I wasn't scarred for life from my Captain Hook trauma.

Personally I don't understand people who act like infants are just bricks until they are older.

I think that's a bit harsh and judgmental. I don't think that's how they think. Some parents feel it's a safety issue to take a very young baby and prefer to stay cautious...and some doctors agree, in terms of loud noises on very tiny eardrums (ear plugs can only block so much), brutal sun exposure on newborn skin (or sunscreen chemicals at such a young age) and also that very young babies may not have built up full natural immunity to the outside world quite yet.

Many other parents and doctors have a different opinion, of course.

Times have also changed in terms of cultural norms: 30-50 years ago, the perception was that some places were meant for children and others mainly for adults (like bars or formal, adult-oriented high end restaurants, both of which people now bring little kids/babies, which I definitely disagree with.)

Parents either got babysitters or stayed home in those days. I'm not taking a position either way, since I don't have kids. Just thinking back to when the culture was very different vs today.

I think that's a bit harsh and judgmental. I don't think that's how they think. Some parents feel it's a safety issue to take a very young baby and prefer to stay cautious...and some doctors agree, in terms of loud noises on very tiny eardrums (ear plugs can only block so much), brutal sun exposure on newborn skin (or sunscreen chemicals at such a young age) and also that very young babies may not have built up full natural immunity to the outside world quite yet.

Many other parents and doctors have a different opinion, of course.

Times have also changed in terms of cultural norms: 30-50 years ago, the perception was that some places were meant for children and others mainly for adults (like bars or formal, adult-oriented high end restaurants, both of which people now bring little kids/babies, which I definitely disagree with.)

Parents either got babysitters or stayed home in those days. I'm not taking a position either way, since I don't have kids. Just thinking back to when the culture was very different vs today.
I understand and agree with new born babies, there are strong recommendations to stay home completely for the first 2 months, recommendations start falling off shortly after.

Anyway I wasn't talking about a new born, I won't judge but I wouldn't take one to a theme park, I am talking about people who think an infant and their parents couldn't find enjoyment in going out into the world.

The comments about them remembering are annoying too, like does that mean you shouldn't bother being a good parent until the age where they'll remember?

It isn't about the memories the child will have but the memories the parents and family will have with the infant. Not sure how any parent could leave their infant for a week or more to go to Disney but to each their own. Our kids are 9, 7, and 1. We are taking the 1 year old because he is a part of our family. We took my 7 year old son when he was 2 and he loved it. Still remembers it. Disney Parks are for families of ALL ages.

My youngest went as a baby. He wasn’t a newborn, but a baby. I wasn’t going to wait until he was older because we already had one kid who wasn’t going to be 4 years old forever. And I would not have been comfortable leaving him with anyone for a week, in addition to being a nursing mom. He went where I went.

We didn’t stay out in the heat all day or put him in any danger. I mean, it’s not that hard? Parents with multiple kids can’t sit at home all day. I say this as the youngest of several kids, lol. I went everywhere from a very young age and I am a functioning adult. Kids have school, activities, etc. Groceries have to be bought. Parents of babies have to make decisions to keep them safe everyday. Disney is no different?

OP seems to live at home with their parents and collect toys. they have no children so I am not interested in their opinions about parenting.

Extend it to any vacation. Are parents supposed to lock themselves up for six years (or more, really, since travel in late pregnancy may not be “allowed,” and a lot of people have more than one kid) because their kid won’t remember the trip? Oh, just leave the kid home? Cue the judgement for leaving the kid behind.

Agree with all of the above posts about why not take babies? I took my son to DL the first time when he was about 2 months old and several times since, he loved it every time. We had APs and it was for his sister's bday. I also took him with me to work conferences in Vienna, London, and Prague before he was 1 because I was breastfeeding and honestly easier to travel with the baby than pump all the time. The Vienna trip was solo with me and him (6 months old). We did a great bus tour around the city and to the zoo on my off day. He was a much less whiny travel partner than my husband to be honest! Here he is enjoying the Pixar Pal-A-Round at 6 months. He won't remember it but I will!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter