Why ROyal Caribbean?

It's so interesting how people on these boards seem to be either pro Disney cruises or pro RCCL. I am a Disney lover (been to WDW over 20 times and doing an ABD this summer), but RCCL is our favorite for cruising. RCCL's ships offer so much more! Rock walls, ice skating, mini-golf, H2O zone, Aquatheater, and now bumper cars! Service is top notch and the ports are fun too. My kids were disappointed in our Disney cruise. The service was wonderful. The dinners were delicious! But the ship amenities, lunch/breakfast, and staff run group activities were very disappointing. We are used to all that RCCL offers, and DCL just didn't come close. I know there are many die-hard DCL lovers, but I'm not sure we would do DCL again. I'm glad to see the RCCL boards here!

How did your kids like the kids club on RCCL?

We are fairly new to cruising. We've taken one RCCL and one DCL cruise. They were very comparable.

- Ship- Dream had the aqueduct and midship detective, but RCCL had the rock climbing wall, which is still to this date my son's favorite feature at sea.

- kids clubs - the facilities at Disney were impressive- much larger and elaborate. But the kids club at RCCL was less crowded and less chaotic and it took much less time to sign the kids in and out. There was usually a long line at DCL. Also, RCCL would take the kids to eat at the buffet; eat ice cream. DCL brought in tiny sandwiches at lunch, neither of my kids wanted that, they wanted real food. We picked them up and took them to Cabanas.

- beverages - DCL has free soda, but RCCL had free lemonade and mango water (delicious!).

- itineraries - better itineraries on RCCL, with more interesting stops and choices. We went to Tortola, which is gorgeous, Dominica and st. Kitts. And want to return to all 3.

- shows - I'm partial to Disney. Love the Disney music. Love the Disney first run movies.

- food- we all thought food was much better on RCCL. It seemed less mass-produced and we were allowed both, soup and appetizer. At DCL, I asked about getting soup and app, and was told I had to choose one. We felt more rushed in the DCL dining rooms too. And the room service menu was skimpier on DCL than RCCL. Changing menus had more/better choices on RCCL.

- activities - the wine tasting at DCL was great! Also, the adults-only areas were less crowded in DCL than RCCL.

We would be happy sailing either in the future. We'll go with the lower priced one/better itinerary. I have a placeholder cruise in DCL booked and I am waiting for the April-June 2015 itineraries.

Wow, I have never been told I could not have something on a menu on DCL.... choose one? :lmao: When I wasn't crazy about any of the main dishes my serving team suggested getting all of the appetizers and soups and salads!

- food- we all thought food was much better on RCCL. It seemed less mass-produced and we were allowed both, soup and appetizer. At DCL, I asked about getting soup and app, and was told I had to choose one.

Wow, that's never happened to us in 9 DCL cruises. They have always been very accommodating, to the point of bringing more than one main course when we couldn't decide.

Yes! You're missing the wonderful experiences that can be had on beautiful ships, in WAY more ports, for way less than DCL. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Well said! I have sailed on 10 RCI cruises to the Bahamas, Caribbean (western, eastern, and southern), CA Coastal, Mexican Riviera, Canada, Baltic, Norway, and Transatlantic. I have another RCI Baltic cruise booked for June on Legend of the Seas - an older and smaller ship, but with a fabulous itinerary and great price.

My 5 Disney cruises were booked for the Disney ship experience, and not the itinerary. Although DCL has had some great itineraries, and appears to be planning some Baltic and Norway cruises for summer 2015 - their good itineraries usually cost a LOT more than I am willing to pay.

I returned home tonight from a month and a half in Australia and New Zealand. That trip began in January with a 14-night Celebrity Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland @ $1,549 pp plus taxes for the least expensive inside cabin - a terrific value. If DCL were to offer that cruise, I have no doubt they would charge at least double!

. . . If DCL were to offer that cruise, I have no doubt they would charge at least double!
We went to the Baltics and St Petersburg on RCI in 2010, the same season that DCL went.

We paid one third of what DCL was charging (2A in an OV).

Woody

This will be our first time cruising but when we compared DCL to RCCL for the (basically) exact itinerary; port canaveral, private island, Nassau, at sea, the DCL was double the price for the same room (balcony). We are going over spring break so I get that is an expensive time. However, I am right now trying to convince my friend and her BF to join us and with the last minute deals (we set sail one week from tomorrow) they could get an inside room for $473 total. Thats about $50 per day each!
We are on a small ship, Enchantment of the Seas, but since this is our first cruise we figured we would have no idea what we were missing :) I LOVE WDW and the Disney vibe, but I couldn't justify paying double, and it was double!!
It will be interesting to see if we love cruising or not.

This will be our first time cruising but when we compared DCL to RCCL for the (basically) exact itinerary; port canaveral, private island, Nassau, at sea, the DCL was double the price for the same room (balcony). We are going over spring break so I get that is an expensive time. However, I am right now trying to convince my friend and her BF to join us and with the last minute deals (we set sail one week from tomorrow) they could get an inside room for $473 total. Thats about $50 per day each! We are on a small ship, Enchantment of the Seas, but since this is our first cruise we figured we would have no idea what we were missing :) I LOVE WDW and the Disney vibe, but I couldn't justify paying double, and it was double!! It will be interesting to see if we love cruising or not.

Just remember that Enchantment is one of RCI's smaller ships. It is still, however, gorgeous! But it won't have the little intricacies that the DCL ships have. But, half the price will be so worth it!!! I absolutely loved the intimate experience on Enchantment. I wish I could've jumped on that great deal they had!

Oops, I just realized this is an older post lol. So, what did you think??

My husband just finished a cruise on Enchantment. He paid $500 for two people in an inside. He said that the entertainment was not as good at DCL but it was MUCH better value for money, and that Enchantment was a really beautiful ship. I was concerned that he wouldn't like it. We both love Disney.mi think on the large ships that the entertainment will be just as good as DCL.

We are sailing in January on Enchantment too. It was half the price of the Dream. Royal is definitely in our future.

Something I like about Labadee actually has nothing to do with the lovely beaches or yummy BBQ
ashore.

Labadee is on the North side of Haiti. Royal built a substantial pier there years ago to accommodate up to their Oasis class ships.

For many months after the earthquake in Haiti you could watch your ship offload pallets of relief supplies. I think we counted something crazy like 32 pallets of bottled water and supplies from our ship alone.

On a later cruise we were told they had just opened the brand new school Royal had built for the children of the Labadee staff.

Now I am going to admit we are Royal Caribbean loyalists-married on the Radiance of the Seas in Alaska. However, these corporate acts of good will were not forced down our throat with lots of PR onboard. We had to ask around to find out. Royal Caribbean was just doing it.

Sometimes even corporate America just does the right thing.

We have only sailed. Disney but we will be trying RCI this July...
Cannot wait till we go. I am not going to compare as it it may ruin my vacation. I heard great things about RCI. We just have to go with the flow and I know we will enjoy our vacation......open mind people!!!

I ran into an almost comical comparison when it comes to price.

Last time I looked at a normal balcony on Disney. Who wants to guess what I got on RC for a combined 500 less?

A Grand Suite with concierge.

I could not justify picking DCL over RC. Not only was RC far less, I got a LOT more.

I ran into an almost comical comparison when it comes to price.

Last time I looked at a normal balcony on Disney. Who wants to guess what I got on RC for a combined 500 less?

A Grand Suite with concierge.

I could not justify picking DCL over RC. Not only was RC far less, I got a LOT more.

We're upgrading to a balcony on RCI on Oasis from a ocean view Disney Fantasy, prepaying tips this time and still coming in about $1500 less than DCL.

Price. We are going on our second and probably last DCL cruise in June. We are looking at Royal Caribbean for next year. For the same itinerary during the same time frame (summer), we will be saving almost $3000 on Royal Caribbean. Even with some up costs, there is no way that we will be spending $3000 on soda and a couple of restaurants (especially since we pay extra for Palo dinner and brunch too). We can still eat in many places on Royal Caribbean for free. With the money we are saving, we can add on some days at WDW beforehand and extend our 7 day vacation into 11 days and STILL save about $500. If they were the same price, I would choose DCL but at some point, I have to draw the line with Disney's prices.

Also, Royal Caribbean is giving us so many more options with itineraries- I can only go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel so many times.

We're upgrading to a balcony on RCI on Oasis from a ocean view Disney Fantasy, prepaying tips this time and still coming in about $1500 less than DCL.

Same for my family of 3. Same week, 7 day western Caribbean, May 2015:

Fantasy Oceanview 8B: $5,100

Freedom of the Seas Superior Balcony: $3,200

And the "nickel and dime" thing is way overblown. If the 3 of us want unlimited soda for the week it's $136, so call the RCI price 3,336. and we can get it from any bar or food service place on the ship, along with the cool freestyle machines, not just one drink station.

Other than that I don't know what RCI charges extra for that DCL doesn't. Alcohol, premium restaurants, specialty coffee, excursions, etc are extra on both lines.

We are cruising on Serenade of the Seas out of NOLA for a 7-nt Western on Thanksgiving week in an E1 Balcony for the 3 of us for $2,350 after fares, fees, and taxes...

That being said, we are looking at an Eastern over Spring Break next year, but are leaning towards the Regal Princess...

We are cruising on Serenade of the Seas out of NOLA for a 7-nt Western on Thanksgiving week in an E1 Balcony for the 3 of us for $2,350 after fares, fees, and taxes...

That being said, we are looking at an Eastern over Spring Break next year, but are leaning towards the Regal Princess...

Just curious since you're in Bham like me...Are you guys driving to NOLA the day of the cruise? We thought about doing that, since we could save some $$ by not needing a hotel the night before the cruise, etc

Just curious since you're in Bham like me...Are you guys driving to NOLA the day of the cruise? We thought about doing that, since we could save some $$ by not needing a hotel the night before the cruise, etc

Yep. We are driving. Mainly because we are heading straight to Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl as soon as we get off of the ship...

Also meant to mention that we will drive down Friday night before the cruise and stay 1-nt in NO...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter