Will gondolas impact BCV/BWV experience?

Part of me is excited about the new transportation option, the gondolas will be like a new attraction just as the monorail is (to me). We go in January so the heat usually isn't an issue during that time of year if no a/c. ;) My one major concerned is all the additional guests/foot traffic that will be using the international gateway to enter and exit Epcot. If that entrance isn't expanded the existing entrance will become very crowded. I'm hoping that the exec's at WDW will expand that entrance to allow for the added traffic. I'm sure they will or it will be a major bottle neck and there will be many very unhappy guests, myself included... That entrance is one of the big benefits to staying in that area of WDW. I guess we will have to wait an see but I have confidence in the WDW execs that they will do the right thing. :)

I'm excited about the gondolas, they will be like having another attraction just like the monorails are (to me). My one concert is the added traffic at the International Gateway entrance/exit to Epcot. I'm really hoping that the WDW exec's are thinking about this and planning on making the entrance much larger to accommodate all the added guests that will access this entrance. If they don't enlarge this entrance there will be a major bottleneck and many very unhappy guests myself included. One of the major benefits to staying at an Epcot area resorts is the International Gateway entrance into and out of Epcot especially at the end of Illuminations. For now I will believe that the WDW execs are smart enough to realize this and do the right thing. :)

I doubt it. The value/moderate food courts are pretty convenient. I really liked the one at POR and I hear good things about the one at AoA. QS options and variety are the one thing you miss out on at many of the deluxe resorts.

I thought the part that is convenient is that they are close proximity. Walk from your room at boardwalk, down the boardwalk past all the food options, through international gateway, onto the gondola, exchange at the riviera, to CBR, exchange to the pop gondola line, get off in the middle of the lake, walk to the lobby area, to get in line at the food court? Not this guy.

Especially at Boardwalk where there are excellent table service restaurants and pizza windows. But sometimes hard to find just a nice salad with protein, or lighter fare. I also like the Seasons Food Fair in the Land but may be with people who can't burn an Epcot admission.

Bumping this up, has anyone been to WDW recently to see have the entrance at International Gateway is being changed to accommodate increased use? Does anyone have any recent photos they would share? I would love to see how this area is coming along. I won't be there until Jan 2019...

Bumping this up, has anyone been to WDW recently to see have the entrance at International Gateway is being changed to accommodate increased use? Does anyone have any recent photos they would share? I would love to see how this area is coming along. I won't be there until Jan 2019...

I don’t have any photos but there isn’t any sign that the Gateway is being changed. Doesn’t mean it isn’t happening still, but as of now the construction is completely focused on the station. I really hope they add more security lines and tapstiles.
RIP beautiful, peaceful IG.

Thanks vacationer1954, so far it doesn't appear there is any change to the actual entry into Epcot at IG...

I don’t have any photos but there isn’t any sign that the Gateway is being changed. Doesn’t mean it isn’t happening still, but as of now the construction is completely focused on the station. I really hope they add more security lines and tapstiles.
RIP beautiful, peaceful IG.

I agree Buzzy Belle, RIP beautiful, peaceful IG...maybe it will be ok. I'm still hoping...

I see a silver lining. The way things have been going - not just at Disney but everywhere - I would worry that eventually Disney would have curtailed the hours that the International Gateway could be used as an entry (in the same way that they have long limited express monorail hours during the off-season). The gondolas give the International Gateway a renewed purpose that will make it as fundamental to the operation of the park as the front entry and immune from the impact of the future budget cuts I feared.

I see a silver lining. The way things have been going - not just at Disney but everywhere - I would worry that eventually Disney would have curtailed the hours that the International Gateway could be used as an entry (in the same way that they have long limited express monorail hours during the off-season). The gondolas give the International Gateway a renewed purpose that will make it as fundamental to the operation of the park as the front entry and immune from the impact of the future budget cuts I feared.

Just wondering: How could Disney curtail the hours that the IG is open without impacting Epcot access by guests staying at the Epcot resorts? Yes, the express monorail is limited during off season but the resort monorail keeps running, doesn't it?

They would have to to add buses to the Epcot resorts. That would be costlier. I don't think it was ever in danger of being limited.

I'm sure this info is somewhere on another thread, but there just sooooooo many pages to read through....

Any confirmation yet that the security / bagcheck will be at the resorts before you board the gondolas?

Just wondering: How could Disney curtail the hours that the IG is open without impacting Epcot access by guests staying at the Epcot resorts?
Buses go from the bus stops at the Epcot resorts to the front of Epcot all day long, and as a matter of fact during the day they run mostly empty. So they don't really need to staff the ticket booths, guest services, or bag check security at the International Gateway - or alternatively they could end that bus service. After visiting Disney for several decades, I don't put anything past their creativity, even when it how to creatively reduce costs in a recession. Regardless, the gondolas ensure that the International Gateway, at least, is safe.

Buses go from the bus stops at the Epcot resorts to the front of Epcot all day long, and as a matter of fact during the day they run mostly empty. So they don't really need to staff the ticket booths, guest services, or bag check security at the International Gateway - or alternatively they could end that bus service. After visiting Disney for several decades, I don't put anything past their creativity, even when it how to creatively reduce costs in a recession. Regardless, the gondolas ensure that the International Gateway, at least, is safe.

No, there is no bus service from the Epcot resorts to the front of Epcot now nor in years if there ever was. :confused:I stayed at the Swan in the 90's and it was walk, boat or Tram as the options at that time to enter Epcot even back then. If they closed IG then it would be adding brand new bus service. Also, no bus service from thise resorts to DHS. It's walking or the boats. If the boats are down for some reason like there were a few weeks afo then they add bus service but it is not normally offered.

No, there is no bus service from the Epcot resorts to the front of Epcot now nor in years if there ever was. :confused:I stayed at the Swan in the 90's and it was walk, boat or Tram as the options at that time to enter Epcot even back then. If they closed IG then it would be adding brand new bus service. Also, no bus service from thise resorts to DHS. It's walking or the boats. If the boats are down for some reason like there were a few weeks afo then they add bus service but it is not normally offered.

I agree. We’ve stayed at BW since 1996 and there have never been buses to Epcot or DHS (except under unusual circumstances).

I'm sure this info is somewhere on another thread, but there just sooooooo many pages to read through....

Any confirmation yet that the security / bagcheck will be at the resorts before you board the gondolas?

That seems to be a strong rumor (and/or hope) based on monorail security but I don’t think it’s been confirmed.

As a BWV DVC owner I am not stoked about the gondolas coming to my beloved IG. I do think it will impact the IG amd it wont be the same quick in and out we have now. I do think they have plans to expand the IG. I think its on the walls there, a drawing of the plans.

I hope our dues will not be covering this gondola crap. As I didnt want it and wont use it. But thats just my thoughts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter