Will gondolas impact BCV/BWV experience?

Looking at the picture, here’s what I’d like to see: Move the IG closer to the Boardwalk for walking guests entering from the resorts. Have security screening before boarding the gondolas at the stations (similar to monorail), which will now terminate inside the security bubble because the IG has been moved further out. This would minimize the crowding at the IG, at least to get into the park.

ETA: I will say that I do think it’s waaaay to early to know exactly what Disney has planned for entry to this area. And likely we won’t know until the gondolas are almost complete.

As a BWV DVC owner I am not stoked about the gondolas coming to my beloved IG. I do think it will impact the IG amd it wont be the same quick in and out we have now. I do think they have plans to expand the IG. I think its on the walls there, a drawing of the plans.

I hope our dues will not be covering this gondola crap. As I didnt want it and wont use it. But thats just my thoughts.

We will be staying at BWV (home resort) for the very first time in December. I guess I'll have to be glad I get to experience it pre-gondolas at least once.

As a BWV DVC owner I am not stoked about the gondolas coming to my beloved IG. I do think it will impact the IG amd it wont be the same quick in and out we have now. I do think they have plans to expand the IG. I think its on the walls there, a drawing of the plans.

I hope our dues will not be covering this gondola crap. As I didnt want it and wont use it. But thats just my thoughts.
I'm sure the resorts that have the gondola will cover the costs just like they do the busses, etc now and likely in the same accounting manner. I think they have to have some type of security at each entrance just like they do for the walkway at BLT at times. The question is whether it means one has to go through it once or twice though I suspect it'll be just once.

I can't see any impact at all all for BWV/BCV owners who book within the home resort priority window. For DVC members who own at resorts they don't necessarily want to stay at, it will provide a lot more competition for rooms at BWV/BCV. If Riveria rooms will be points pricey, the allure of relatively cheap rooms at BWV/BCV will draw many Riveria owners to try and switch at the 7 month window. Since we haven't seen any points charts yet, this is still a major assumption though. If Riveria resort points are more in line with BCV/BWV, then probably not.

I can't see any impact at all all for BWV/BCV owners who book within the home resort priority window. For DVC members who own at resorts they don't necessarily want to stay at, it will provide a lot more competition for rooms at BWV/BCV. If Riveria rooms will be points pricey, the allure of relatively cheap rooms at BWV/BCV will draw many Riveria owners to try and switch at the 7 month window. Since we haven't seen any points charts yet, this is still a major assumption though. If Riveria resort points are more in line with BCV/BWV, then probably not.

I don’t think the gondola station will impact the popularity of the resorts but I am concerned it will negatively impact what I consider a big perk of staying at the Epcot resorts — the quick, low-hassle entrance to World Showcase (even to “pop in” for an hour) and breaking off from the crowd for an easy exit post Illuminations. I also really like strolling around the Boardwalk and am not sure if “day visitors” will increase dramatically or not — hopefully not, there isn’t that much to do there. Impact to dues is to be seen. I’m keeping an open mind!

Obviously, we BWV members do not have a vote on this, LOL.

But I strongly doubt we will have to make any financial contribution to the gondolas. They do not serve the Boardwalk resorts (or the BCV, BC, YC or Swan or Dolphin). We help pay for bus and boat service and DME.

I don’t think the gondola station will impact the popularity of the resorts but I am concerned it will negatively impact what I consider a big perk of staying at the Epcot resorts — the quick, low-hassle entrance to World Showcase (even to “pop in” for an hour) and breaking off from the crowd for an easy exit post Illuminations. I also really like strolling around the Boardwalk and am not sure if “day visitors” will increase dramatically or not — hopefully not, there isn’t that much to do there. Impact to dues is to be seen. I’m keeping an open mind!
I kind of wonder if it’s not going to make Boardwalk restaurants and bars more popular. It sounds like it makes those much easier for people staying at Pop and Art of Animation to get to.

I kind of wonder if it’s not going to make Boardwalk restaurants and bars more popular. It sounds like it makes those much easier for people staying at Pop and Art of Animation to get to.

Agreed. I don’t think it will make staying at Boardwalk or Beach Club more popular.

I really think that transportation costs are just divided between all DVC and Disney resorts and Disney Parks based on occupancy and maybe attendance for the parks. Disney doesn't reveal the exact formula. After all anyone visiting the MK area can ride the monorail even if not staying at a DVC or Disney resort, same for the Friendship Boats and soon be true for the gondolas, and we all pay for Magical Express although there are many of us that have never used it.

As to the impact for the Epcot resorts, I expect the BCV rooms with no view might finally have a view of the gondola station and the gondolas going by. As to the noise we will have to see, but I expect it is less noisy than the buses and boats.

I really think that transportation costs are just divided between all DVC and Disney resorts and Disney Parks based on occupancy and maybe attendance for the parks. Disney doesn't reveal the exact formula. After all anyone visiting the MK area can ride the monorail even if not staying at a DVC or Disney resort, same for the Friendship Boats and soon be true for the gondolas, and we all pay for Magical Express although there are many of us that have never used it.

As to the impact for the Epcot resorts, I expect the BCV rooms with no view might finally have a view of the gondola station and the gondolas going by. As to the noise we will have to see, but I expect it is less noisy than the buses and boats.
My understanding is each resort pays for their own prorated based on a usage formula. It's not one big bucket divided into the entire membership equally.

Sigh, as BCV owners, we're disappointed that the quiet, peaceful vibe of IG will be lost. So much of WDW is loud, crowded and frenetic. When the gondolas start dumping more people at the IG, I fear it'll be almost just like the crazy busy main entrances of all the other parks, even if there isn't a security check. More people = less serenity, imho.

Sigh, as BCV owners, we're disappointed that the quiet, peaceful vibe of IG will be lost. So much of WDW is loud, crowded and frenetic. When the gondolas start dumping more people at the IG, I fear it'll be almost just like the crazy busy main entrances of all the other parks, even if there isn't a security check. More people = less serenity, imho.
As a BCV owner, my exact feelings. I'm very concerned.

Boardwalk owner and I am looking forward to the gondolas. It won't really be useful to get anywhere important, I imagine it will still be easier to just walk to HS... but the view and ride would be nice. Even better would be the potential reduction in traffic and parking issues at Boardwalk.

I was looking at the map of the proposed route of the system, I have to wonder if there is a possibility of extending it to Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs. If so, then I would be even more for it. The ride to DS can be brutal with traffic, both self driving and using the buses.

Boardwalk owner and I am looking forward to the gondolas. It won't really be useful to get anywhere important, I imagine it will still be easier to just walk to HS... but the view and ride would be nice. Even better would be the potential reduction in traffic and parking issues at Boardwalk.

I was looking at the map of the proposed route of the system, I have to wonder if there is a possibility of extending it to Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs. If so, then I would be even more for it. The ride to DS can be brutal with traffic, both self driving and using the buses.

A more efficient way to get to/from Disney Springs might win me over!

On re-evaluation, it might be overly hopeful to hope that DS would be added to the gondola map... That would introduce a free parking location into the transportation stream that flows to HS and EPCOT.

That would increase the already overtaxed parking at DS as well as the gondola system itself.

So if it was added, it would probably only run the same schedule that the DS > Theme Parks currently run, which is fairly reduced. And if the gondola is only going to be going part time, why invest in the infrastructure and maintenance costs?

I imagine that currently, later in the day, they probably save money by shifting low demand bus resources to the DS routes.

How does loading and unloading work? Does the gondola stop or just slow down? How do they manage passengers with mobility issues? I like the concept at TSM where there is a separate platform for the handicapped access vehicle so it doesn't stop the ride loading for the regular vehicles. Is this something that anyone has heard about?

We don't know how the Skyliner will work for boarding and exiting. Most systems are in continuous movement. Many gondola systems have the capability of moving a gondola off the main line and bring it back on, perhaps they will do something like that and have handicapped folks at that area.

I may be more concerned about what SL has done to interior park views. :(

I will miss quiet IG too. But one thing about WDW is that it keeps changing which keeps things interesting.

To me the gondola cheapens the area to a typical State Fair sky ride.

Now that being said, I don't see how there will be that big of an impact on IG given there are only 8 to 10 people in each car. Fortunately WDW has a family and elderly visiting population so they will not be able to have as many cars as a resort or system serving a generally younger or sportier population. Care enter the station and are lifted off the cable which continues to run, once loaded it is lowered back and travels the cable to the next stop. Rarely would the system stop and generally only when there is a significant problem, so WDW will have done multiple calculations as to the timing and distance between cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter