Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2022 (Nov. 3-6, 2022)

Considering you are planning Expo Friday official merchandise will be pretty picked over already so time of day won’t matter and waits won’t be as crazy
I'm not going to get too invested in race merch this time around. A wine glass would be nice or a car sticker but I would be ok with slim pickings. What items are non-existent by the end of day one that ppl really want and have a hard time getting?

I'm not going to get too invested in race merch this time around. A wine glass would be nice or a car sticker but I would be ok with slim pickings. What items are non-existent by the end of day one that ppl really want and have a hard time getting?
Spirit Jersey's tend to go fast, as do some of the pins

Spirit Jersey's tend to go fast, as do some of the pins

I will say with springtime surprise not having merch preorders which seems like the trend…

Normally I get to an expo at about 1030 ish Thursday have about a 45-60 min wait for merch and get what I wanted…

I got there at 1030 for SS it was a two hour wait to get into merch… spirit jerseys and other hot ticket items were still on shelves though idk the sizing range but for the 5K they just had finisher shirts and I did it pins… i managed to catch a CM put a dozen car magnets back on the shelf and got one of them in the seconds they were there … medal replica pins were already going for $70 on eBay

Do most of you go to the expo first thing in the morning the day that you go? We're trying to fit in some park days and I'm thinking of hitting AK first thing in the morning on Expo day (Friday for us) and then heading to the Expo later in the afternoon after we've done a day at AK. Good idea....bad idea.....why?
I actively avoid first thing in the morning on opening day but I am not a big merch person. The crowds are just insane. If I am going the first day I usually wait at least a couple of hours to let it thin out a bit. On non-opening days, I have gotten there pretty close to open and had no wait for anything.

Do most of you go to the expo first thing in the morning the day that you go? We're trying to fit in some park days and I'm thinking of hitting AK first thing in the morning on Expo day (Friday for us) and then heading to the Expo later in the afternoon after we've done a day at AK. Good idea....bad idea.....why?

I don't think the timing will matter that much for you, since you're not going to the first day of the expo. I am generally going to the expo on the first day it's open and have had bad luck with lines going in the morning, not necessarily for W&D, but I think it holds true in general across the race weekends. What I've found works best for me is to go to a park in the morning and head to the expo early to mid-afternoon. The lines and congestion seem to have died down by that point and it's usually a very quick trip. I don't really care about merchandise, though, so if you're looking for specific items that may change your plans/priorities.

I will say with springtime surprise not having merch preorders which seems like the trend…

Normally I get to an expo at about 1030 ish Thursday have about a 45-60 min wait for merch and get what I wanted…

I got there at 1030 for SS it was a two hour wait to get into merch… spirit jerseys and other hot ticket items were still on shelves though idk the sizing range but for the 5K they just had finisher shirts and I did it pins… i managed to catch a CM put a dozen car magnets back on the shelf and got one of them in the seconds they were there … medal replica pins were already going for $70 on eBay
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? $70! :( I think I just have to get my heart NOT set on getting any of those hot items. But gosh, if you really want it that is such a bummer. How about race specific wine glasses? Do they fly off the shelves too?

I don't think the timing will matter that much for you, since you're not going to the first day of the expo. I am generally going to the expo on the first day it's open and have had bad luck with lines going in the morning, not necessarily for W&D, but I think it holds true in general across the race weekends. What I've found works best for me is to go to a park in the morning and head to the expo early to mid-afternoon. The lines and congestion seem to have died down by that point and it's usually a very quick trip. I don't really care about merchandise, though, so if you're looking for specific items that may change your plans/priorities.
The buses to the Expo will be from the resorts only, not from any parks right?

Correct. If I'm heading to the expo from a park, I just grab the first bus available to any resort and then catch the Expo bus there. No need to go back to your own resort.

The easiest park to leave to go to the expo and then return would be Epcot. You could walk to the BC, take the bus, return, and then go right back to Epcot through the IG. If you do buy some stuff and don't want to carry it around they still have lockers you can rent right at that entrance.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? $70! :( I think I just have to get my heart NOT set on getting any of those hot items. But gosh, if you really want it that is such a bummer. How about race specific wine glasses? Do they fly off the shelves too?
I'm not a big merch person so I agree with the others that it won't really matter if you go in the morning or afternoon. The afternoon is nice because it's a good way to escape the park crowds.
I could be misremembering but I don't know that they've had wine glasses at all the recent races. My somewhat foggy memory seems to think there were a few people upset that they didn't have the wine glasses. It could have been a supply chain issue and maybe they'll be back. I just wouldn't set your heart on having any specific memorabilia.

Yep!!
I'm not a big merch person so I agree with the others that it won't really matter if you go in the morning or afternoon. The afternoon is nice because it's a good way to escape the park crowds.
I could be misremembering but I don't know that they've had wine glasses at all the recent races. My somewhat foggy memory seems to think there were a few people upset that they didn't have the wine glasses. It could have been a supply chain issue and maybe they'll be back. I just wouldn't set your heart on having any specific memorabilia.
might be supply chain as I know the only race in the 21-22 season with the shoe ornaments was springtime surprise and they were loaded (aside from the I did it shirts/pins that was what the Everest 5K Section of the expo was comprised of)

Six months from today is the Expo.

Does that freak anyone else out just a little bit?

Honestly, it still feels so far away.

For me, it did until I realized this. Then all of a sudden, it was like "whoa." But of course, I haven't run more than 1.5 miles at time since Marathon Weekend so that might have something to do with it.

(Just to clarify - I've been working with a PT who has been limiting me. My new training plan has me - hopefully - up to 3 miles in the next 3 weeks)

For me, it did until I realized this. Then all of a sudden, it was like "whoa." But of course, I haven't run more than 1.5 miles at time since Marathon Weekend so that might have something to do with it.

(Just to clarify - I've been working with a PT who has been limiting me. My new training plan has me - hopefully - up to 3 miles in the next 3 weeks)
Good luck! My best advice is to listen to your PT's advice. I hope that you feel better soon.

My best advice is to listen to your PT's advice.

Oh, I am following what he says down to the letter - even when I don't want to. In the past, every time I didn't like what I'm being told, there usually came a point down the line when I had to tell him "you were right." At this point, I trust him 110% and have pretty much stopped questioning his instructions. We both know the ultimate goal - Dopey in 2023 HEALTHY - and are working together to get there.

Good luck! My best advice is to listen to your PT's advice. I hope that you feel better soon.
I've been beset by injuries over the last decade or so. I am taking it slow and steady, to the point where I did an Excel spreadsheet that builds only 10% of mileage a week (dropping down every fourth week before building again). Concentrating on developing a solid weekly base of running to where I'm up to 20 miles/week before I even start to build up my "long" runs to over 5 miles

I've been beset by injuries over the last decade or so. I am taking it slow and steady, to the point where I did an Excel spreadsheet that builds only 10% of mileage a week (dropping down every fourth week before building again). Concentrating on developing a solid weekly base of running to where I'm up to 20 miles/week before I even start to build up my "long" runs to over 5 miles
Have you seen @DopeyBadger's posts about this subject? Of course, he could explain it much better than I ever could. Nonetheless, you might want to look into Jack Daniels' approach of setting up your mileage based upon your current abilities and leaving it at that level for four weeks. After four weeks at the same mileage, you can increase your mileage by the number of days that you run per week. Then, you run at that new mileage for four weeks etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter