• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonder from New Orleans in 2020?

I sailed on the 9/20 Magic to Quebec and got the online follow up survey. It was the one asking potential interest in themed cruises. One of the options was a family-friendly Mardi gras. I can't remember if that option had been on prior surveys.

Family friendly -- does that mean you get to keep your shirt on and get beads anyway? Oh wait. Paying for the cruise = losing your shirt.

I reserved the 2/27/20 4 night cruise out of New Orleans - 2A1K(15) Cat 10A (Secret porthole) $2927 with taxes; no insurance/trans. My initial excitement died down when I realized I WILL NOT be visiting Castaway. I too, am thinking the same about making the trip to Port Canaveral as usual instead. I also have to remind myself that during Mardi Gras season the ship may not be able to dock at Castaway. I always travel during Mardi Gras because it used to be less expensive and nice weather for Castaway is usually 50/50 hit or miss. On my last cruise it rained most of the day. The one before that it was too windy to dock as scheduled. The Captain tried twice without success on our scheduled day. He decided to approach later that night parked the ship overnight and we were allowed off the ship the next day instead. He was my hero!!! Who's gonna save me now? I did not put down the deposit yet and I have until 10/05/18 just before midnight to change my mind. From the lack of opening day quotes for this sailing, I don't think the 2/27/18 Wonder will be filling up fast. I was surprised that I was able to get the first Secret Porthole room (one of the two least obstructed ones) I asked for when booking in the afternoon on 10/02/18. To the list of concerns, I have to add my DS will be missing school on the day of debarkation. I know he would just feel terrible about that, LOL!
Please let me know if you come up with more selling points to sail out of NOLA

I will point out that regarding the quotes posted... This board represents only a tiny portion of the number of people who cruise DCL regularly. I never take lack of posting about something as a sign that no one will be on it/does it/is excited about it.

I reserved the 2/27/20 4 night cruise out of New Orleans - 2A1K(15) Cat 10A (Secret porthole) $2927 with taxes; no insurance/trans. My initial excitement died down when I realized I WILL NOT be visiting Castaway. I too, am thinking the same about making the trip to Port Canaveral as usual instead. I also have to remind myself that during Mardi Gras season the ship may not be able to dock at Castaway. I always travel during Mardi Gras because it used to be less expensive and nice weather for Castaway is usually 50/50 hit or miss. On my last cruise it rained most of the day. The one before that it was too windy to dock as scheduled. The Captain tried twice without success on our scheduled day. He decided to approach later that night parked the ship overnight and we were allowed off the ship the next day instead. He was my hero!!! Who's gonna save me now? I did not put down the deposit yet and I have until 10/05/18 just before midnight to change my mind. From the lack of opening day quotes for this sailing, I don't think the 2/27/18 Wonder will be filling up fast. I was surprised that I was able to get the first Secret Porthole room (one of the two least obstructed ones) I asked for when booking in the afternoon on 10/02/18. To the list of concerns, I have to add my DS will be missing school on the day of debarkation. I know he would just feel terrible about that, LOL!
Please let me know if you come up with more selling points to sail out of NOLA

Well, “selling points” are subjective, and maybe I am rationalizing, but the way I see it:

1.) Driving to PC is 10 hours in the car each way, and probably $350-$400 in gas. I don’t relish that drive.

2.) Alternately, flying to MCO for a family of five is going to be at least $2000 round-trip. Plus transport from MCO to PC and back. And my wife hates flying.

3.) Either option above will require us to come in the day before the cruise. That means two hotel rooms at a minimum of $175 each. Plus food.

4.) We have never sailed on a classic ship, and this will probably be our best opportunity to do so without having to fly to the West Coast (which would involve a whole new, and larger, set of travel costs).
While I am not thrilled about the value of the Wonder 6-day NOLA pricing vs. the Fantasy 7-day Carib out of PC, there is some “recoupment” in the elimination of travel costs & logistics getting to and from the port. So I will do it this once for the convenience and the chance to sail one of the classic ships.

Last edited:

I will point out that regarding the quotes posted... This board represents only a tiny portion of the number of people who cruise DCL regularly. I never take lack of posting about something as a sign that no one will be on it/does it/is excited about it.

Right you are. I was just browsing a TA's site looking for incentives and they already listed the 2/21/18 6-night cruise as sold out and my 2/27/18 4 night-cruise as having limited availability. When I went to DCL's website to see how much the pricing changed before the general opening day for my cruise, it was probably sold out too because I got the message "no rooms available to accommodate your party size" message. I tried from having 3 to 6 people booked, and received the same message each time. I guess a lot of locals who have children out of school during those sailings jumped on this opportunity. Since I am a local too, that probably means there will be someone I know on the ship. I've run into people from New Orleans sporting their Mardi Gras garb on Mardi Gras day each time I was onboard Mardi Gras day.
Selling an older (oldest) ship out on opening day to the public on at least two sailings with these circumstances must have the DCL executives laughing all the way to the cruise line's offshore account. That likely means they will be back for another limited-time only run out of New Orleans in 2021. I will be on board ready to book my place holder because it seems as though DCL has figured out that prices don't need to be as low as they used to be during this time of the year. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Right you are. I was just browsing a TA's site looking for incentives and they already listed the 2/21/18 6-night cruise as sold out and my 2/27/18 4 night-cruise as having limited availability. When I went to DCL's website to see how much the pricing changed before the general opening day for my cruise, it was probably sold out too because I got the message "no rooms available to accommodate your party size" message. I tried from having 3 to 6 people booked, and received the same message each time. I guess a lot of locals who have children out of school during those sailings jumped on this opportunity. Since I am a local too, that probably means there will be someone I know on the ship. I've run into people from New Orleans sporting their Mardi Gras garb on Mardi Gras day each time I was onboard Mardi Gras day.
Selling an older (oldest) ship out on opening day to the public on at least two sailings with these circumstances must have the DCL executives laughing all the way to the cruise line's offshore account. That likely means they will be back for another limited-time only run out of New Orleans in 2021. I will be on board ready to book my place holder because it seems as though DCL has figured out that prices don't need to be as low as they used to be during this time of the year. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Holy crap. I thought you were just kidding, or I was misunderstanding you, about 2/21 selling out. The sailing isn’t even listed on the site anymore when you ask for all Feb. 2020 cruises out of New Orleans.

My MIL was thinking of joining us on that cruise. Here’s hoping some people booked out of sheer excitement but will move/cancel once the fever-pitch dies down

Last edited:

Well, “selling points” are subjective, and maybe I am rationalizing, but the way I see it:

1.) Driving to PC is 10 hours in the car each way, and probably $350-$400 in gas. I don’t relish that drive.

2.) Alternately, flying to MCO for a family of five is going to be at least $2000 round-trip. Plus transport from MCO to PC and back. And my wife hates flying.

3.) Either option above will require us to come in the day before the cruise. That means two hotel rooms at a minimum of $175 each. Plus food.

4.) We have never sailed on a classic ship, and this will probably be our best opportunity to do so without having to fly to the West Coast (which would involve a whole new, and larger, set of travel costs).
While I am not thrilled about the value of the Wonder 6-day NOLA pricing vs. the Fantasy 7-day Carib out of PC, there is some “recoupment” in the elimination of travel costs & logistics getting to and from the port. So I will do it this once for the convenience and the chance to sail one of the classic ships.

I think you are right. I hate the drive to Orlando as well and I feel anxious every time I fly that something will make me miss my flight. I did actually miss a flight once in the last 6 months because I spent almost an hour in line waiting to check the luggage I pre-paid for at the Frontier ticket counter in New Orleans. It took all three of the staff working behind the counter to settle an issue with one set of passengers, so they subsequently moved from 3 agents checking people in to none. It was unbelievable!! Their policy is that you have to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure. My family and another family missed a flight for this reason and there were no more flights to my destination for two days. The Frontier agents acknowledged our time in line but basically said there was nothing they could do. I think they just did not know what options there were or how to do them. When you read the reviews about Frontier airlines believe them, it's not worth the savings--but I digress. I think if the next time I fly or travel for a cruise it will be to go on a ship I've not cruised before. I've had my eye on sailing on one of RCCL's Quantum class or Celebrity's Eden with my DH and leaving my DS behind. I've sailed both lines before along with Norwegian and Carnival and there is no guest service like DCL's among them. Celebrity comes close but they nickel and dime you for everything. You pay for children to spend about 8 hours in their version of a kid's club but but overall, Celebrity was extremely enjoyable.
The demand for bookings out of New Orleans has convinced me it was a "good buy". Thanks for the "selling points". I am going to miss the BBQ chicken at Castaway. Oh well, there's an abundance of good food in New Orleans I have access to.

Last edited:
Holy crap. I thought you were just kidding, or I was misunderstanding you, about 2/21 selling out. The sailing isn’t even listed on the site anymore when you ask for all Feb. 2020 cruises out of New Orleans.

My MIL was thinking of joining us on that cruise. Here’s hoping some people booked out of sheer excitement but will move/cancel once the fever-pitch dies down

The February 27 cruise is not listed on DCL's website either. I have a friend who was interested in booking. Maybe I can let her have my room if she agrees to take my son with her and pay for him as well. That would mean she would have to leave her husband behind. Small price to pay for an experience her children will not forget.
You should try again for your MIL after Friday at 11:59 (eastern I guess). I have to pay my deposit by then and I booked on Gold day, and then Saturday and Sunday at that time too. I assume the Platinum members probably paid their deposits when booking for the most part.

I've been out of town the past couple of days, but I'm just catching up on the thread now. I booked the 2/27 4-night cruise on Wednesday. It was sold out before the public even had a chance to get to it on Thursday. It's going to be an all NOLA peeps cruise, I think. I have many friends/family who have booked it because they're Castaway Club members. But, there's a lot of people here who are very upset because it sold out so quickly. Our kids are out of school that week, so it makes it a natural for New Orleans based families, even with the increased cost, because there's no travel to the ship, and there's no impact to school (well, the kids will have to miss Monday, but that's a minimal impact)

Yes, I'm upset that we're not going to Castaway, and it almost made me not book, but the school vacation was a HUGE factor in the decision.

Anyone interested in the cruises out of New Orleans, keep checking. Inventory keeps changing. Not sure if its computer glitches or people holding rooms but it may not be sold out!

Right. We discussed above how everyone and their grandmother made a booking, but many will back out when it’s time to plunk down the deposit over the next few days.

Right. We discussed above how everyone and their grandmother made a booking, but many will back out when it’s time to plunk down the deposit over the next few days.

I think the deposit being an an unexpected expenese for people, myself included, who were not planning on booking a Disney Cruise (this week) will also factor into availability. The official announcement about the New Orleans sailings being about a week prior to opening day did not give people a lot of time to factor the deposit into their budget may leave some with “bookers remorse”.

With NOLA port being within 1 hour driving distance for me; I thought this would be a huge win for my family. However after looking at pricing and stops; I am having a hard time convincing myself that paying that much for a cruise that does not include Castaway to be worth it. Guess it will be back to PC for us. Good Luck to all of you trying to plan that perfect vacation.
How about the Feb. 2-7 San Juan to NOLA cruise, that stops only at Castaway Cay? You still need a flight to San Juan, but you'd end up at home.

I had a hankering for another Disney cruise, so booked that repo last month. It was pretty inexpensive - for a Disney cruise!

How about the Feb. 2-7 San Juan to NOLA cruise, that stops only at Castaway Cay? You still need a flight to San Juan, but you'd end up at home.

I had a hankering for another Disney cruise, so booked that repo last month. It was pretty inexpensive - for a Disney cruise!

Wow! This cruise is one day longer, includes Castaway and is about $800 LESS than my price to sail round trip from New Orleans. The one-way airfare wouldn’t even come close to being more than the difference. The big problem is the dates do not overlap my DS being out of school for the Mardi Gras holiday and the repo cruise includes 5 school days. Sadly, I cannot take advantage of this for a family cruise. Thanks for the suggestion. There are a couple of ships from other cruise lines that will be starting to sail out of the New Orleans port and I will check those out for my hubby and I:yay:.

There appears to be a fair bit of availability on the 2/21 NOLA cruise currently. A lot of it is GTY, and it ain’t cheap, but it’s there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter