• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

would this be allowed/rude/weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man these kid and food discussions always burn me up. So many helpful people to tell you how to raise your kids, it's amazing.

When I am on vacation with my son, WE are on vacation and I think about his wants and desires as much as mine and will bend over backwards to accommodate him... on vacation. At home it is different and he is often told no, he is often told to suck up and deal and he often does not get his way. When we are on vacation there is no "suck up and deal." it is OUR vacation. His whims get accommodated as do mine. He is far from spoiled in the rest of his life.

So perfectly said!

I also want to add my dd who has been raised the same way as ds is not a picky eater at all so far, she will eat just about anything. So I think it's more of a personality thing than a parenting thing.
Same in my household...raised both our kids the same and one is picky and one will eat any and everything!! LOL My daughter is the picky one and we did lunch at BOG one trip and she just got the fries and a cupcake :) We planned all of our ADR's at a variety of places and she usually found something at each place that she would eat but I didn't stress if she only ordered dessert...we were on vacation, sometimes we did have to pick her up something else but that's ok..she survived and had fun :) Now that she is older she is eating more things and trying new things without being coaxed which is great. Some people grow out of it, some never do and that is ok as long as you can all agree with a plan that works for your family. Enjoy your BOG and have a great trip!!

Exactly. Our daughter is expected to try many different foods and to eat what's available just as DH and I did as children. I also have her summer learning already planned and her chore list posted. She's not allowed to use technology on school nights unless it's for homework and her bedtime is 9:00 even on weekends. She's never been beaten with a switch, however, or anything else. Don't worry. She's healthy, happy and plenty spoiled.

I do give parenting advice whether it's requested ot not because after 19 years of teaching other people's children it's a little hard not to judge. Parents need to remember that eventually their kids have live in the world.

I cannot understand how plans for your DD's summer learning and weekly technology usage is even remotely related to OP's DS's food preferences, or how OP deals with them. It just sounds like you are using this opportunity to brag about what a good parent you feel you are. If you can't see how unpleasant that is, and hurtful in implying that OP may not be an equally good parent without knowing anything else about her (because she did not feel the need to give a detailed list of her parenting policies on a theme park tips board), then I question your reading comprehension and analytical thinking skills.

Sorry, OP. I may fan the flames but I'm sick of mean people ruining the experience of interacting on these boards. I like to offer advice on how to stay on topic and be nice to strangers whether it's asked for or not.

I cannot understand how plans for your DD's summer learning and weekly technology usage is even remotely related to OP's DS's food preferences, or how OP deals with them. It just sounds like you are using this opportunity to brag about what a good parent you feel you are. If you can't see how unpleasant that is, and hurtful in implying that OP may not be an equally good parent without knowing anything else about her (because she did not feel the need to give a detailed list of her parenting policies on a theme park tips board), then I question your reading comprehension and analytical thinking skills.

Sorry, OP. I may fan the flames but I'm sick of mean people ruining the experience of interacting on these boards. I like to offer advice on how to stay on topic and be nice to strangers whether it's asked for or not.

No need to apologize I felt the same way. Not sure if that post was intended to make me feel like an inferior parent based on this 1 little thing I posted about but it did come off that way. I was also not sure what the point was in any of that in relation to my post. But for comparison purposes, my kids use technology every day sometimes not even for education just for fun! They go to bed at 9-10pm sometimes later on weekends. They clean their rooms and will help around the house if asked but don't have an official chore list. We did used to have a sticker chart for good behavior though when they were little! They don't have any specific learning plan for summer because I feel they deserve an actual summer break from school, but they are both honor roll students and they learn plenty from life experiences as we do alot of mini trips and activities in summer. They both participate in activities such as cheer/dance and band. They were breastfed for over 1 year each, they coslept and were babyworn but I did use disposable diapers lol. They are both healthy, happy, and somewhat spoiled...different parenting styles, similar outcomes, I think I'm doing ok so far. Oh and dh was raised to sit at the table til you have finished your plate, I was raised with little plates that seperated my food so it didn't touch and got dessert even if I didn't eat my veggies lol and we both turned out ok and agree on how to raise our kids.

Why don't you pretend it's a real restaurant and mirror what behaviors are appropriate when going to a real restaurant?

Why don't you pretend it's a real restaurant and mirror what behaviors are appropriate when going to a real restaurant?

Well lunch is quick service so I don't consider it the same as table service. I think I said earlier I wouldn't feel comfortable taking other food into a table service meal and wouldn't have even asked about that. I just wanted to know if there was a rule against it or if id get treated differently by cast members/servers. One persons idea of appropriate can be totally different from another's and from the actual rules of the establishment. I just saw a post on here the other day about someone's kids who were literally walking on the tables and cutting up the whole meal, apparently those parents felt that was appropriate...

OP, remember that ultimately, no one's opinion matters here but your own.

There are always, and will always be, people happy to tell you that your choices are all wrong and that they hold the moral high ground. You asked whether it would be OK. In my book, you're buying food in one Disney counter service location and eating in another Disney counter service location for one child from your entire party. So either way, your child is sitting to eat his Disney bought food on a Disney owned seat.

Don't overthink this, or allow others to make you feel bad about a perfectly normal question.

Have a wonderful trip!!

I kind of feel like people are being a little more judgmental (for lack of a better word) because it's BOG. I have been to plenty of counter service restaurants where people have different food. I took a turkey wrap into pizzasaurus or whatever it's called b/c I didn't want pizza and my boys did (and by boys I mean husband and son). I don't like chain pizza, so that stuff really wasn't something I wanted. I also skipped lunch several times and just had leftover grapes or carrots that we had gotten at other quick service restaurants, or a Larabar.

I personally wouldn't do it at a Table Service, and I did only do it the one time at the pizza joint, but I didn't feel odd about it. I didn't take a second to look at what was on the table of other people, so I assume they didn't notice mine either. I wouldn't do it if NOBODY was eating at a restaurant, but I was the only one who didn't eat their food. Even my 8 month old ate some of my husbands food!

Not that I'm picky (I'm NOT at all), but I don't want to spend money on food I don't feel like eating.

Both of those scenarios still have you spending money at the restaurant. My point is that bringing food in could create or already be a slippery slope. Just get a reservation to the places with the best ambiance and bring in your own food, especially if the CM's are allowing it. That's how i'm reading into alot of the feedback.

I really think you are stretching a bit - it's not like there wasn't anyone in the party eating there. One kid wasn't going to eat an entre.

I have been told directly by Disney Dining that you only need to order what you want wherever you dine (I just wanted dessert.) I have had just cupcakes and coffee at BOG....Sometimes you are locked into an ADR and are not as hungry as you predicted you'd be 180 days ago :ssst:. There is a mac n cheese place right across from the entrance to mine train: perhaps that would be easy to munch while waiting on line, and once inside. Enjoy your vacation!

This is VERY true! I booked a BOG dinner reservation ahead of our last trip (not far ahead, but still). The night of the dinner I was in no way hungry. And I am not going to shove food down just because. I even tried to see if I could reschedule but couldn't, and I wasn't about to lose money and cancel, so I went. I ordered soup and a drink, and my son got his kids meal. I did decide to tip as if I had ordered an adult meal, but that's just because I wanted to do so. To order a 30.00 meal and not eat it is a waste of money AND food.

Also don't forget there are many perfect parents on here (and everywhere) who will be more than happy to give their wisdom! Not their opinion - you did ask for that - but their wisdom on how to raise your children. There are even those out there who have never had a child who will also be more than happy to let you know what they "would" do or "will" do when they have kids of their own!

On our last trip, my husband wanted Pizzafari and I felt like Flame Tree BBQ, so I brought my lunch from FTBBQ into Pizzafari! We were given absolutely no trouble and I actually had a number of people in Pizzafari stop me and ask where I got the onion rings from! I honestly didn't think twice about it. We've also brought CS from one World Showcase pavilion to the other when DH felt like fish and chips and I felt like a shawarma platter. Again, no problems at all.

I know BOG has a slightly different set-up vs. a typical CS location, but if it works for your family, go for it!

I have no idea why this thread got so out of control (or why I read it all the way through?? ha!).

DH and I had lunch at BOG last year, our anniversary trip, so without the kids. After walking through the entire restaurant, we could only find round 4-tops to sit at. So we sat at one. Yes, two of us took up 4 seats for the entirety of our meal, and we only paid for 2 meals. Clearly no strangers were going to join us at our round table. I have no clue why anyone would care if a table of 4 had 3 eating and 1 not (whether or not he brought other food in or ordered dessert/drink) when a group of 2 or 3 (or 1!) could take up a 4-top b/c there is no other option.

In any case, if anyone is paying more attention to who is eating what at tables other than their own in BOG, then they have issues. I was too busy grinning like an idiot (Beauty and the Beast is my favorite!!) and enjoying the ambience to care about anyone other than DH and myself.

Go. Enjoy. :)

He probably would eat a grilled cheese off the kids menu but I didn't know if they would let a Disney adult order from kids.
I'm a picky eater and the only thing I'll eat from the BOG menu is onion soup which doesn't fill me up all the way. I ordered something off the kids menu in addition to it in January, I think it was like plain pasta and on the side there was mozzarella and some tomato sauce you could mix in with the pasta with fries on the side. (I think you can even substitute the fries) It was obvious to the cast member I wasn't with any kids and they didn't mind. I almost always order from the kids menu at any quick service place at Disney because I think it's just the right amount of food for me, they usually have better options for me and I think it's a good deal since I love how fries are included as a side.
I'm not sure if it would work at a table service restaurant but your son will be fine ordering off the kids menu at BOG if he sees something he likes of course!

No need to apologize I felt the same way. Not sure if that post was intended to make me feel like an inferior parent based on this 1 little thing I posted about but it did come off that way. I was also not sure what the point was in any of that in relation to my post. But for comparison purposes, my kids use technology every day sometimes not even for education just for fun! They go to bed at 9-10pm sometimes later on weekends. They clean their rooms and will help around the house if asked but don't have an official chore list. We did used to have a sticker chart for good behavior though when they were little! They don't have any specific learning plan for summer because I feel they deserve an actual summer break from school, but they are both honor roll students and they learn plenty from life experiences as we do alot of mini trips and activities in summer. They both participate in activities such as cheer/dance and band. They were breastfed for over 1 year each, they coslept and were babyworn but I did use disposable diapers lol. They are both healthy, happy, and somewhat spoiled...different parenting styles, similar outcomes, I think I'm doing ok so far. Oh and dh was raised to sit at the table til you have finished your plate, I was raised with little plates that seperated my food so it didn't touch and got dessert even if I didn't eat my veggies lol and we both turned out ok and agree on how to raise our kids.

Bet you did not think you were going to need to write a book in regards to your parenting skills when you asked if your son could bring his cheeseburger in to BOG! LOL!!!!

It is always easy to be a perfect parent when you are on a message board and none of us can see if you are plopped on the sofa eating chips and bellowing for your kid to get his lazy carcass out of bed and in the shower. DOn't worry about what anyone has "kindly" suggested about making your child deal with the menu. If this was a TS restaurant and you wanted teh chefs to traipse all over the WOrld searching for the only PB&J he would eat, that would be different. BOG is kind of touchy because it is not an easy ADR. For some reason, some folks think that you must treat it like a shrine.

DH and I raised three kids to adulthood and we did not conform to the norms that some folks thought that we should follow, and they are still alive, they are productive members of society, and they manage to find foods they eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter