Yikes! Thinking of a solo trip just to focus on photography

Nauf

Mouseketeer
For quite a while now I have toyed with the idea of going solo to WDW to play with my camera (Olympus e510) and really see what it can do. Oh sure, not exclusively just to sit and debate the ins and outs of raising the ISO vs larger aperture and/or shutter speed. Maybe sneak on a ride or two (yeah right, just a ride or two :lmao:). And I've priced out a package and its very doable. Very tempting. I've gone solo other places, not sure why but Disney feels different.

I guess my question is has anyone done this? A solo photo trip? How long did you go for? (I'm looking at 5 days in the parks).

What to do?!?

Thanks for any/all advice (and if you wanted to send me money so that I can stay at a fancy schmancy resort... just pm me! :laughing: )

Oops... almost forgot. How much trouble would I be in if I cross posted this? I know there's a solo/Adult board, but because of the photo slant I thought I'd post it here first.

For quite a while now I have toyed with the idea of going solo to WDW to play with my camera (Olympus e510) and really see what it can do. Oh sure, not exclusively just to sit and debate the ins and outs of raising the ISO vs larger aperture and/or shutter speed. Maybe sneak on a ride or two (yeah right, just a ride or two :lmao:). And I've priced out a package and its very doable. Very tempting. I've gone solo other places, not sure why but Disney feels different.

I guess my question is has anyone done this? A solo photo trip? How long did you go for? (I'm looking at 5 days in the parks).

What to do?!?

Thanks for any/all advice (and if you wanted to send me money so that I can stay at a fancy schmancy resort... just pm me! :laughing: )

Oops... almost forgot. How much trouble would I be in if I cross posted this? I know there's a solo/Adult board, but because of the photo slant I thought I'd post it here first.

Is cross posting a DIS sin? I guess I need to re-read the rules.

But, back on topic. I had the luxury of a half photo only trip. DW was teaching two high school choirs and they went to WDW last year during spring break. I showed up to take pictures of their performances, video and still pics. Before and after I had hours and hours on my own.

It is really nice. I always feel like I am holding up whomever I am with, when I would stop and take a half hour for a picture of the castle.

But then then my wife said she was so happy to find that I did not mind her running off and doing a few rides without me. (I don't go on anything with mountain in the name, and a few others).

But I am pretty sure I would go crazy being alone for five days. Hehehehehee

Mikeeee

Yep, I enjoy my solo photo WDW trips. They are different from other trips, if I want to wait for a few monorails to go by so I can try different exposure settings it's ok. It's not so ok on family trips! ;)

There's the luxury of stopping to change lenses multiple times, wait for certain lighting, etc.

Take lots of memory cards, a tripod, lenses... go for it!

I did one or two solo trips maybe 10+ years ago, with my K1000, but they weren't really photo-centric trips. I have had a little "alone time" in the last trip or two but those were really the exception.

I did think about a solo trip in January when my wife went on a cruise with her girlfriends but just didn't have enough vacation time. She has said that I can take a trip on my own some time if I want. Maybe I should get myself an annual pass and keep an eye out for a cheap airfare............ hmm!

On our upcoming trip, I'm the only one getting a park hopper pass, so two nights, I'll head to one of the parks late (MK one night and Epcot another) for maybe 3-4 hours pretty much mainly doing photography.

A whole trip solo could be kind of lonely, though, but at least you have your camera, so you're not truly alone. :teeth:

Toy with the idea no more......you must do it! I had a free day on a business trip to LA and I wasted no time getting to DL when it opened and closed it down to boot. I love my family trips to Disney more than anything else but I would be lying if I said I didn't have a blast going solo. Oh, I managed to ride Soarin' once but that was it. I didn't have time to mess around with silly stuff like rides! I actually wish I could have had more time than just one day. Don't forget the tripod and enjoy!

I would be jealous. ;) But I would love to see your E-510 pictures! I say go! :thumbsup2

JRooo4 said:
I don't go on anything with mountain in the name, and a few others.
Mikeeee, I'm shocked! No Mountains? Not even Splash? :rotfl:

I have spent many days at DL myself with my camera. I have been to WDW twice and of the 8 days in the parks I have only been with the person I was traveling for 1 of those days. I have a couple of pictures from those days :)

I've done several solo photo trips in the past couple of years and I love them. Can't wait for the next one.

I like taking night shots so I usually stay past closing in whichever park is open the latest each night. Because I'm up so late I get a late start in the am, usually around 10am. Then take a quick break in the late afternoon and head out with my tripod just before sunset.

I rarely ride rides when I am shooting but have been known to go all the way through a que just to take photos. I do always enjoy myself and take time to visit with other guests. I almost always hook up with a few folks from here or Tagrel or AllEars.

Those trips are usually 5 day trips, Sunday - Friday. I fill 5-7 GB per day and am taking photos pretty much the whole time. At night I upload them to my computer and maybe process a few and post them on flickr. It's usually around 3am when I finally go to bed.

It's not a schedule that works when I am travelling with anyone else. As much as I love going to WDW with friends and family, I am hooked on solo photo trips. One of these days I'd love to spend about 3 weeks there solo so I could really shoot everything I want at a slower pace.

So, yes, do it!

Is it "safe" to go on solo photography trips to Disneyworld?

In the UK, anyone who was solo - but especially a male - and taking lots of photos somewhere that there were so many children around would risk being met with some considerable suspicion. From all I see from the US, the level of child-related hysteria is at least as high as the UK, possibly even more so.

regards,
/alan

I've done a couple of solo trips to WDW and spend lots of time on photography... it's so much easier and more relaxed than when you have to keep saying 'wait a minute'

also you don't have anybody acting embarrassed when you lie on the floor for that unique perspective ;)

I haven't done a completely solo trip, but 2 years ago DW & I went without the kids and since at the time she was 6 months pregnant and it was HOT we did a lot of stuff seperately which left me a lot of solo time to just take pictures.

I certainly would go down by myself for a few days just to take pictures. That would be great.

alan, its perfectly fine. Its not like your walking around an elementary school as one of a few adults and the only one with a camera. Just about every other person walking around Disney has a camera and who's to say that your all alone on the trip. If you stop to take a picture of the castle and 10 kids walk behind you, no one's going to think twice. Now if you consistantly walk around and point your camera in the direction of children, and not the same children, then people will ask questions. But, if your solo, your not going to want to be taking pictures of people, so your camera will be pointing towards anything but people.

I say go for it! I have been toying with the idea myself, but my DB and SIL just invited DH and I to go with them for the F&WF. DH isn't sure he can go, so I will be tagging along as the 3rd wheel. Definitely going to take some time off from that position and go do the photo thing!

alan, its perfectly fine.

Good.

I am always very careful on this front after being asked to remove photos of a stage show from the web because some of the participants in it were under 18. Given that I had agreed that the pictures would be placed online with the company before I took them, and that the age of consent in Scotland is 18, and - for goodness sake - they were taken at (a dress rehearsal of) a publicly-accessible show, I felt hard done by. But it made me realise that it's better to be safe than sorry...

regards,
/alan

Good.

I am always very careful on this front after being asked to remove photos of a stage show from the web because some of the participants in it were under 18. Given that I had agreed that the pictures would be placed online with the company before I took them, and that the age of consent in Scotland is 18, and - for goodness sake - they were taken at (a dress rehearsal of) a publicly-accessible show, I felt hard done by. But it made me realise that it's better to be safe than sorry...

regards,
/alan

As handicap18 mentioned it's perfectly fine. However, I must mention that one time I was with my family and we all rode Autopia. Of course we were split up in different cars and I was done before the rest of them (I drive faster ;) ). As I was standing on the overpass on the exit I was taking shots of my wife and daughter with my 70-300VR. A lady with her husband walked up to me and asked "what the heck are you taking a picture of?". It was with that inquisitive tone that implied I hadn't ought to be doing that. I calmly said, "uh, my wife and kid". She simply said "oh" and walked away. I was really annoyed by that but luckily I didn't say any more than I did.

I say go for it as well. I would not worry about the kid thing too much- not like people taking pictures around WDW is anything unusual. I am thinking about going for a solo day or two trip this summer- as the wife and girls have some activities planned without me. ;)

When I was at Disney without the family and was taking pictures, I was stopped and questioned by security a couple of times. Nothing harsh, they just had questions. I don't think it was because I was by myself though; I suspect that it was more of a concern about my appearance.

When I was at Disney without the family and was taking pictures, I was stopped and questioned by security a couple of times. Nothing harsh, they just had questions. I don't think it was because I was by myself though; I suspect that it was more of a concern about my appearance.

Yea I saw the picture, I think they were more worried about you being a suicide bomber than taking pictures.

This is an occasion where I think it helps to be a female photographer. People look less askance at a woman (possibly) photographing children and a man doing the same.

DH and I are going in September and I'm going to take my pro gear instead of the point 'n shoot we're bringing for the family trip. He's interested in photography as well so I think it'll be a fun project for us since we're leaving the kids at home.

This is an occasion where I think it helps to be a female photographer. People look less askance at a woman (possibly) photographing children and a man doing the same.

Not always - I've been stopped by parents when taking photos in a park and I wasn't even pointed towards any kids. I think they saw the camera with the big lens and got nervous. But I've never had anyone at Disney World say anything. Of course, walking around with Mark is good cover!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter