You must get a DSLR. Now.

Thanks for the additional insight, Anewman...

I fully expected to return from WDW, wishing I'd had a dSLR or at least a better P&S than what I have. I was surprised to find that the images I returned with were of substantially better quality than I expected. I've had the 5200 since March and I'm glad I had it that long, as it has taken me a while to learn some of the nuances of the machine. I realize that it is not the equal of any dSLR, and is not quite at the level to which I aspire, but for the cost to benefit ratio, I'll take it.

Actually, I have found "the" camera for me, in doing some research for my still-film-but-yearning-to-go-digital freelance pro photograher wife, the lovely and talented Mrs. YEKCIM! That camera is...drum roll, please...the Nikon D200 with 18-200 VR lens, which is apparently as scarce as hens' teeth at present (the lens, that is). However, $2400 is not, in my wildest imagination, a possibility, so I'll keep my sights set much lower.

~YEKCIM

But the S5200 is not a true point and shoot, it's a bridge camera. Meaning: better performance than the usual point and shoot.

YEKCIM said:
Actually, I have found "the" camera for me, in doing some research for my still-film-but-yearning-to-go-digital freelance pro photograher wife, the lovely and talented Mrs. YEKCIM! That camera is...drum roll, please...the Nikon D200 with 18-200 VR lens, which is apparently as scarce as hens' teeth at present (the lens, that is). However, $2400 is not, in my wildest imagination, a possibility, so I'll keep my sights set much lower.

~YEKCIM

The new Nikon D80 (set for official announcement on or about Ausust 7th) might be more up your alley then. Should be about $500 less than the D200 ($1099/1199 vs the D200's $1699) but with the same sensor (10.2MP). They is also speculation that they'll announce a few new lenses (hopefully the 70-300mm VR), but we'll see soon enough. Many Nikonians are getting fed up with the availability of the 18-200mm VR. Order it now for a Valentines Day gift. (yep taking as much as 7 months for people to get their's)

handicap18 said:
There is also speculation that they'll announce a few new lenses (hopefully the 70-300mm VR), but we'll see soon enough.

That's what I read from the Nikon internal report. It's their answer to Canon 70-300 IS.

The only problem for me now is that Canon is still not releasing its 18-200 IS. Maybe they're afraid of production problem? (ie. too much of a shortage considering Canon dSLR is dominating about 60% of the market vs Nikon's 25% -- even with that Nikon still can't keep up with the demand).

Thanks, Kyle. I've been reading about the D80, as rumor has it named, for the past few days on dpreview. I really made the D200/18-200VR comment, tongue in cheek, as there is absolutely NO way that is ever going to happen. I have a birthday (#52, ya young whippersnapper!) coming up in about a month, and I have put the D200 and lens on my "wish list" as an amusement for Mrs. YEKCIM. I'm sure she will get a kick out of it. She scoffs at anything that does not say, NIKON, as not being "pro", even though my 20 year old set of Maxxum 7000i's has served her well for the 14 years we've been married! I would gauge the D200 as being "almost" pro, and certainly enough camera for her very limited professional needs. She has need of something in this class; I clearly do not, although a man *can* dream, can't he??

Also, Kelly, thanks for clarifying exactly what kind of camera the 5200 is; I guess I tend to think of it as a P&S due to the relatively low cost. It's certainly been worth every nickel.

~YEKCIM

This is all too funny. :lmao: .. I have been thinking about picking up a compact digital that will fit in the pocket of my cargo shorts ( or maybe even a shirt pocket) much easier than a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM lens does :rotfl2: when I am not using it :rotfl:

:rolleyes1

We just picked up a ist*DL back in mid-June (before the price cut and rebate! argh!) and love it. Sure it is bigger than a P&S, but I like having a little something extra to hold on to while taking photos - I'm not scared that I'll sneeze and break it in half! :rotfl:

And on AUTO mode, even a complete idiot can figure out how to aim and push the button down halfway to get the autofocus and then press it down fully to take the shot.

And for us, we were so tired of the lag time between pressing the release and the picture actually being taken that there was no way we were getting a P&S ever again. We're loving the Pentax so far. :thumbsup2

WillCAD said:
Your 7yo DD uses a 300D with a Kelly lens on it? She must have arms like the Governator!

Anewman is right on about one thing - some people want or need a smaller camera, and the 300D sure ain't one.

Hows about posting a few of your DDs images? I've seen some 7-year olds take pretty good pics.

Here are some pics taken by her using 300D + The Kelly
abde72fa.jpg

cc78b165.jpg

9474e968.jpg

30D + 70-200 f/2.8L IS. Too heavy for her hence the slanted framing
1aa74bc9.jpg

Well Kelly, it seems that your DD has inherited her mother's eye.

I love that duck shot!

Maybe I'm just cranky this morning, but it somehow the OP makes me feel that those of us without a dSLR are somehow "not worthy". I know that was really not the intent, but that was my first reaction...

I may not be able to get some of the shots that require a higher ISO, (which I did not even "get" when I bought my S2 six months ago....) but I think I'm doing pretty well!

Don't get me wrong, now that I know what I know... I want a dSLR, but if good sense prevails I will wait for a bit longer..... (then again I have not been known for always using good sense!)

Mak,

I don't think that's the intention. I personally think the intention is to raise awareness that now one can get a dSLR at the same price as a high-quality point and shoot and it is a perfect opportunity to do so while stock and rebate last.

makinorlando said:
Maybe I'm just cranky this morning, but it somehow the OP makes me feel that those of us without a dSLR are somehow "not worthy". I know that was really not the intent, but that was my first reaction...

I may not be able to get some of the shots that require a higher ISO, (which I did not even "get" when I bought my S2 six months ago....) but I think I'm doing pretty well!

Don't get me wrong, now that I know what I know... I want a dSLR, but if good sense prevails I will wait for a bit longer..... (then again I have not been known for always using good sense!)

not to worry, you do a good job with what you have now and that's really the point isn't it?

i love my rebel but lets get real...is it really 4x better( roughly the difference in what i've spent vs what a s2 costs) than a p& s if i plan on using it on auto all the time? imo no. i like it for me but i can think of many many many people who wouldn't like it, nor want to spend that kind of money to take a snapshot of the kids playing in the backyard...course since this is a photo board people are more than normally interested in photography but i mean in the real world most people are perfectly happy with a nice little P& s...it's nice the dslr are becoming more affordable but sorry, just don't see why everyone would run out and buy one since we all know the spending doesn't really stop with the body and kit lens :lmao:

i do have to say i felt kind of freakish when we were at the Toledo Zoo last weekend and it was me with my rebel and a billion others with their little p&s and some guy literally yelled "LOOK that's one of those dslrs!" and the crowd turned my way...if they had only seen the out of focus results...:blush: :rolleyes1 :rotfl2: ( did see a few more later, 2 with giant back to back lenses that my husband literally turned around and gaped at , probably fearing that would be my next purchase :teeth:)

jann1033 said:
did see a few more later, 2 with giant back to back lenses that my husband literally turned around and gaped at , probably fearing that would be my next purchase :teeth:

Or perhaps he was suffering from a common male malady.

Lens envy.

:blush:

Sorry. :teeth:

makinorlando said:

makinorlando, you are one of the best photographers on this forum. And you would be so even if you shot with a $50 disposable digicam.

Buying a DSLR will not make someone a good photographer, just as the lack of DSLR does not equal a bad photographer.

My best friend gave his wife a RebelXT for xmas(based on my advise)...
Lets just say it has not made her a better photographer(I am trying to be nice).

I have a P&S and a DSLR
P&S are lighter and easier to carry.
DSLR is bulkier and heavier but does not have a shutter lag which is a very BIG plus to me.
If I attend parties or conventions I will bring my P&S but if I want to take good pictures I will use the DSLR
DSLR also have become more affordable. Get one and try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter