You must get a DSLR. Now.

ok, I give...

What's DSLR? I figured out P&S (point and shoot) and I can clearly see from your posts that DSLR is better... so what does it stand for and what would someone pay for a good starter DSLR and lense?

ExPirateShopGirl said:
ok, I give...

What's DSLR? I figured out P&S (point and shoot) and I can clearly see from your posts that DSLR is better... so what does it stand for and what would someone pay for a good starter DSLR and lense?

Digital Single Lens Reflex
Canon & NIkon brands offer good starter cameras
Also Pentax & Olympus.

from one of my blog articles

I've bought a dSLR but my pictures are the same as my point and shoot

Well, maybe that's due to the fact that you can't take pictures to begin with. Just like a music-company's slogan used to say "Our products won't make your music better, but they will help you to create it faster".

Owning a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer, albeit a good one. Just like anything else (cars, audio system, recording gears, power tools, sewing machines), these things are just tools.

I've created (and sold) pictures taken with a lowly Fuji A345 (a $200 3MP P&S camera) and sometimes I can't sell pictures taken with a 30D and L-series lens (a $4,000 combo of lens and 8MP dSLR).

It's all about the photographer and how she (he) knows her (his) equipment.

Take your time to learn about the camera operations, buy photography magazines, look at other people's pictures. After more than 14 years dabbling in photography, I'm still learning everyday.

Remember, dSLR gives you the room to grow. Embrace it, get out of the "green zone" gutter and try to experiment.

posted by Landak @ 3:37 PM

ExPirateShopGirl said:
ok, I give...

dSLR = digital Single Lens Reflex. This is the type of camera that can change lenses. You see through the view finder what the lens though a series of mirrors that reflect the image though the lens to the view finder.

SLR's have been around for many many many many years. Digital versions have recently become more affordable so they are a big item now. Prices range from $350 (with rebate) to upwards of $5000 for just the camera body (with all kinds of prices and makers (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, etc...) inbetween). Lenses range in price from about $75 to tens of thousands of dollars. A typical average amerture photophrapher will spend upwards of $1500 to get their setup, this might include the camera body, a few lenses, speedlight flash and other accessories. Though there are many that will stick with just the body and a basic all purpose lens and be perfectly happy (you can get started for about $500-600 for entry level models). dSLR's have a bigger sensor chip than a P&S camera. One of the big advantages of dSLR's is the use of a higher and cleaner ISO (basically film speed ie, 200, 400, 800, etc...) (cleaner meaning less noise or grainyness to the picture). It also has an almost instand start-up time and virtually no shutter lag. Basically with a dSLR a user can take 3-5 pictures before a P&S user can take 1. You press the shutter it takes a picture (just like in the days of film), no waiting for the camera to do its thing (whatever that thing is) before it actually captures the image.

Anewman said:
makinorlando, you are one of the best photographers on this forum. And you would be so even if you shot with a $50 disposable digicam.

Buying a DSLR will not make someone a good photographer, just as the lack of DSLR does not equal a bad photographer.

My best friend gave his wife a RebelXT for xmas(based on my advise)...
Lets just say it has not made her a better photographer(I am trying to be nice).

Thanks for you kind words and thanks Kelly too!

I should not have Dis'ed before coffee this morning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter