Your favorite thing to do at HHI?

Does anyone have any opinions to share about the kayak tours?? This is our first trip to HHI - just my dh and me - and we are thinking about doing one.

We have done the kayak tours several times. My family really enjoyed them.
If you are lucky, you may see some dolphins. The pace is very relaxed, so it is not too strenous. I recommend going early morning or evening before it gets too hot.

My younger kids (DD10 and DS12) loved the kids activities when they were younger (and still do but won't admit it!)....we LOVE B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow! The nature walk is fun, and we always take a long drive over to other islands and explore!

My 3 kids (DD20, DD16, and DS12) often go kayaking with DH (the youngest won't go- has problems with boats!). They LOVE the kayaking. Last time my DD16 could NOT keep the shrimp from jumping in with her....told her she should have kept some for dinner!

DS12 loves to "fish" off the pier. He manages to haul in crabs and fish like crazy (rent a trap from the bike rental)....using, of all things, turkey hot dogs!

We almost love HH over WDW...it is more relaxing, more "back to nature"- but no rides! It is a toss up each year as to where to go. Unfortunately we have to drive to Seattle for a family reunion this year- so we are banking those points for next year!

Just back Saturday from HH -- :goodvibes for every family that goes there you will find different favorites on activites and dining. Gordon that has been a castmember at the resort since it opened once told us that October was his favorite time of year there. If you go to www.hhidining.com you will find all the menus (almost) of the restaurants on the island - you can get fabulous early bird dining deals - much better food than at WDW or even Vero - we love and belong at them both.:banana:

You guys are all so great with the info you have are providing! I'm keepin a list.PLEASE keep it coming!!!

Anyone gone to HHI during Christmas break. I know it will be too cold to swim in the Ocean, but what about other activities.

We usually go to WDW for Christmas break, but we don't do the parks so I figured HHI is as good a place as any to do nothing! We loved May, will we hate it December?

My daughter & I will be going over Christmas week. Maybe we'll see you there! We don't have a lot of plans, we'll probably rent bikes, go horseback riding and do a day trip to Savannah to see the Christmas decorations. :santa:

We're new to DVC and our points just came through a week ago; I called MS the next day and got on the wait list for HHI for the last week in July. Do we have any chance of getting in? I asked for a 1br preferably but told them I would also take a studio. I own at SSR, so will it always be difficult to get a summer ressie in the 7 month window? What about easter week, would that be difficult to get also?

I'm sorry to bring bad news but it is highly unlikely that you will get into HH this summer for several reasons:

1. The majority of the rooms at the resort are dedicated 2 BRs. Here's the link to a thread with the resort layout and other information. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226883

2. The summer is the most popular time to go to HH and it is a small resort.

3. The DVC members that wanted to go to HH and own at other resorts were able to go on the wait-list this past winter (7 months out) and they are all ahead of you if a room were to become available.

I'd say that it is highly unlikely that your waitlist will come through but you can always try.

Easter will be difficult too. Hoping to get in during the busy summer season or during a holiday as a non-owner can leave you dissapointed.

I hope that this information was helpful even if it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Good luck.

:rockband: These are a few of my favorite things-
Sitting on the back porch of the main lodge, watching for the dolphins
Walking around the perimeter of the resort, including a trip out the fishing pier
Miniature golf. I'm partial to the course on the right as you face Sea Pines, near Wexford Plaza
Sea Pines Forest Preserve
Signe's Bakery-several times!

HH is our favorite DVC resort. Our home resorts are BWV and SSR but HH is a great vacation because it is so relaxing. We usually go in late April and the weather has been great for the last 7 years. The kayak trip is wonderful because you get to see wildlife out in the marsh and many times you get very close to the dolphins on Broad Creek. After our first kayak trip we bought our own to bring so we can go every day. Early morning and later in the afternoon is best. The choice of two pools and the beach gives you some variety on where to swim. We almost never spend time on the balconies at WDW DVC but we spend most mornings and evenings on the deck at HH. This is a vacation where you don't have to do anything unless you want to. No rushing to make EMH or trying to decide where you are going to eat 180 days in advance. Our favorite place to eat is the Sea Shack which is big favorite with the locals and has the best sea food at great prices. Hope you have a great trip.

After our first kayak trip we bought our own to bring so we can go every day.
Did you put your kayak in at the end of the island where the Disney kayaks are kept? I've been thinking seriously about getting us a kayak. I was thinking about one of those inflatable ones just for ease of transport. DW and I really loved kayaking the one and only time we did it last year and would like to do it some more. We have several local lakes where we can kayak at. What kind of kayak did you get?

We store our kayaks (at HH) next to the ones provided by the kayaking service. We have talked several times with the guides and they think it's great that their tour got us started. Living in NH gave us the opportunity to buy our kayaks from an LL Bean store. They are Old Town kayaks and were much less expensive than the ones we found at other specialty stores. We bought two single kayaks and a tandem because at the time our daughter was only 10 and didn't want to kayak on her own. Now at 15 she doesn't want to kayak at all. Depending on what you drive, the easiest way to transport them is on top of the car with a rack system. We have a Thule. Also, you can purchase a kayak trailer which is very light weight and will handle up to 6 or 8 kayaks if you have a large family. We bought a small RV and had to use our trailer. HH asks that we park the trailer in the parking garage (without the kayaks we can push the trailer like a shopping cart because it weighs so little). During our trip last October we paddled out to the sound and back and saw at least 3 pods of dolphins (could have been the same ones but I am always amazed to see them) who swam fairly close to the boats. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have but I'm definetly not an expert.

I forgot to add my favorite story about bringing our kayaks to HH. My husband and I were at the Shelter Cove mall with our Volvo and Thule rack on top of the car. My husband was loading my many purchases into the back of the car while a man was staring at our car. He then said " I'm admiring your rack". I could see where the man's eyes were looking (top of the car) but I thought my husband was going to have a heart attack. He can laugh about it now but I tell him I'm pretty hot in my Volvo station wagon and my "rack".

We just bought 2 Sea Eagle Inflatable Tandems and like them very much. We have taken 2 kayak trips so far and are thinking about taking them to HH. They are very strong and I like the fact that I can toss them in the mini van or trunk to transport. I bought mine at Sierra Trading Post but I think they sold out. If you email the Sea Eagle company they will send you a great DVD on their products... very impressive.

I'm sorry to bring bad news but it is highly unlikely that you will get into HH this summer for several reasons:

1. The majority of the rooms at the resort are dedicated 2 BRs. Here's the link to a thread with the resort layout and other information. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226883

2. The summer is the most popular time to go to HH and it is a small resort.

3. The DVC members that wanted to go to HH and own at other resorts were able to go on the wait-list this past winter (7 months out) and they are all ahead of you if a room were to become available.

I'd say that it is highly unlikely that your waitlist will come through but you can always try.

Easter will be difficult too. Hoping to get in during the busy summer season or during a holiday as a non-owner can leave you dissapointed.

I hope that this information was helpful even if it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Good luck.

Definitely not what I wanted to hear, but better to know so I can make plans elsewhere. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a gem mine for kids on the way back from HH to Phila? I've seen them in Franklin NC but that's pretty far out of the way.

Thanks for any input.

drise, there is a nice emerald mine in Hiddenite, NC - nearer to Winston Salem in the Piedmont section (ie middle) of NC - Franklin is nearer the mountains. You might want to check it out on the web and plan your route so you can stop by on the way back. DD14 and I went last summer and came home with some pretty sparkly stuff - we didn't take the time to have it indentified, but they have someone on site who will do that for you. It was fun!!!

Hi all!

Does anyone have any new favorites or new twists on old faves?

Thanks-
Ellen

We were in Hilton Head for the first time two weeks ago. We fell in love! It was such a relaxing weekend and we plan to go back soon.

Favorite things:

1) Bike riding. We rode over to the beach club both mornings. We also loved biking on the beach. The sand is hard packed so biking is a breeze. Next to the main road on the island is a bike path...you could bike for miles safely.

2) Sitting on the balcony and enjoying the beautiful marsh.

3) Challenging my DH to a game of mini golf after dinner. Mini-golf course only a couple miles away from the resort.

4) At the Beach Club snack bar they put the kid's meal in a little bucket...after lunch we had a bucket and shovel to play with in the sand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter