Your point information

Just curious as to your DVC point journeys and why you made the journey that you did.

1 - How many points do you have?
2 - Why this number? (how large a family, how many vacations per year,...)
3 - How many times have you added on?
4 - How many points do you eventually want?

We have just been trying to work through what our ideal number of points is going to end up being.

1-360 (260 AKV, 100 VGC)
2-Just DH and myself. Until we have children we plan on going every year for our anniversary in May and either October for Halloween or December for Christmas and to Disneyland once a year.
3-Added on twice since our initial purchase.
4-I'll definitely want more points but don't really have a set number as of yet. Once we have children we'll be wanting to stay in larger accommodations.

1) 160 point initial purchase at BLT.
165 point purchase at Aulani

2) Bought 160 at BLT because we figured it would be enough for an annual trip to WDW. This year, we had a 1BR over Mother's Day (thanks to the 2009 points) and are going down in December for a 5night stay in a studio. 165 at Aulani so we can book a 1BR Ocean view every other year during September.

3) Added on once when Aulani opened.

4) I don't see that we'll need any more points for a while. At least until Aulani is paid off.

We're a family of 5. We have 360 points right now, and for just our family it's working out fine, though we would like to have more points to bring extended family. So far, we have tended toward long-ish trips (10-15 days) twice in each AP year span, and then take a year or two off to accumulate points again. The 2br works well for our family configuration; teen boys get their own room and dd 7 gets the living room sofa bed.

We can see that as our kids get older and maybe friends along, and then as they get married and have kids, we would like to be able to book 2 rooms or maybe a GV for 10 days at a time, and so would like more points to do that. But, one also needs to look at the balance between maintenance fees and other vacation expenses: less maintenance fees = more $ left each year for vacations; more MF's = less $ for actual vacations. So we'll see.

We started in 2005 with 160 points at SSR, then added on 100 pts at BCV, and a year later added on another 100 pts at AKV. Ideally, I would like to have as many points at BCV as we do at SSR, since we're seeing a pattern start to emerge, where we want to stay at BCV any time special events are going on at Epcot or Studios (F&W, F&G, SWW), and we like to stay at SSR the rest of the time (we love the easy access to DTD in the evenings). We have yet to stay at AKV - will be there for the first time next spring, so we'll see how it fits into things.

Best wishes on your decision!

400 AKV, 400 BLT

We have 5 children 8 and under. We love Disney and want to be able to vacation one week during spring break and two weeks during summer. Currently, a two BR works for us, but eventually we will be booking 3BR for our trips, especially as kids start bringing friends.

Purchased 400 AKV originally, just added the 400 on at BLT.

We will more than likely purchase 400 more.

1.How many points do you have?
450- 150 OKW, 200 AKLV, 100 VGC

2. Why this number?
We use them! We originally purchased when my four kids were younger. Now they are grown but I have grandchildren who I want to share the magic with.

3. How many times have you added on?
Twice- 200 points at AKLV's and 100 at VGC

4. How many points do you eventually want?
Depending on where new DVC's are added, I'd like to have at least 350 more so that my four kids could eventually have 200 points each. I'd actually like to add more at OKW and would like to purchase some points at SSR. I would not buy at a resort that isn't at WDW or DL. ( no HHI, Vero, or Aulani for me). I'm still hoping for a DVC at the Poly!---Kathy

1.) We have 360 OKW points

2.) Family of four and always take others for our yearly trip.

3.) We are in the process of our third add on. We bought 230 OKW in 1993 and added another 30 pts that year. That worked perfect until 2008 when we realized we needed more pts for more trips, so we added on another 100 pts at OKW. We are now waiting to hear back from Disney on 100 BCV pts.

4.) Eventually for retirement, we would like to have 1000 points for 4 weeks in the winter in a 1 BR and another trip with whatever is leftover. Call me a snob but I can't stay in studios due to all the business travel I do. I need a homey feel not a hotel feel.

Just curious as to your DVC point journeys and why you made the journey that you did.

We have just been trying to work through what our ideal number of points is going to end up being.

1.) 360 (175 @ SSR & 185 @ AKV)

2.) 2 adults, 2 kids (1 girl & 1 boy, 4 years apart) and we vacation for approx. 2 weeks each summer (1 trip per year), with an occassional March Break or Christmas trip, as I'm a teacher, and am restricted by schedule

3.) 3 times - 100, 25 & 60 points

4.) We seriously considered adding on this week, after returning from Vero, but we are going to leave it as is. The point reallocation hit us for 33 points, so we are peeved at Disney, and will not add on anymore. I am very aware of yearly dues, and so we are pretty much at our max. We can afford more, but don't think it's necessary, as we can stay for approx. 10-11 nights each summer in a 1 bedroom.

Tiger :)

1.) The point reallocation hit us for 33 points, so we are peeved at Disney, and will not add on anymore.

Tiger :)

I am sorry to be nosey but why did the point reallocation cost you 33 points?:confused3

We have never done this but have come close once. Just wanting to learn more if you don't mind sharing.

I am sorry to be nosey but why did the point reallocation cost you 33 points?:confused3

We have never done this but have come close once. Just wanting to learn more if you don't mind sharing.

Well, our trip in 2010 went up by 15 points, and the same trip in 2011 went up another 18 points, for a total of 33 points for the exact same vacation. Because we go for approx 2 weeks (10-13 nights), we got hit.

Hope this explains it, Tiger

1) 100 points
2) single (58) female, try to visit WDW 1-2 times a year for a week each; do not always use points (obviously)
3) twice, 50 points each
4) 150 point, my goal is to have a 50 point contract for each of my kids so they can have a taste of it and determine for themselves if it is something that want in on.

Jeralyn

Well, our trip in 2010 went up by 15 points, and the same trip in 2011 went up another 18 points, for a total of 33 points for the exact same vacation. Because we go for approx 2 weeks (10-13 nights), we got hit.

Hope this explains it, Tiger

Totally understand now.. Thanks for the explanation.:thumbsup2
We usually go for a week at a time so the point changes really did not affect us and our traveling habits.

Bought 150 at BCV via resale

There are 4 of us, me, DH & 2 boys who will both be over 6 feet tall in a few years. Originally we wanted enough for our 5 night stay in October Sun-Thurs in a 1 bedroom. That is 145 points.

Not yet

Not sure yet. This is our first year with DVC and already have become creative with our vacation plans.

Honestly I think we will wait until the last minute to add on and see how things go. I am perfectly happy to do a split stay and pay cash for a few nights elsewhere until we are sure adding on is the best thing for us. Not to mention how much we should add on and where.

1 - 360 (150 VWL, 150 BCV, 60 BLT)
2 - It's just me, but I wanted enough to enable my kids to take my DGC every three years or so. I go at least twice a year, but I also own at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, which I use to supplement DVC nights if I run out of points.
3 - Added 25 points twice to my BCV resale contract so I could easily pay cash.
4 - I'm done.

325 (225 SSR, 100 VGC)
Purchased @ SSR in 2008 to have the option to be a Founding Member at VGC. We chose 225 because that had the best price and incentive for our budget. Added on 100 @ VGC in 2009 as that's all our cash would allow
3 - How many times have you added on?once at VGC
4 - How many points do you eventually want? Would love more points at VGC, but don't think we need more points overall. If we can successfully book Aulani at 7mo every few years with our SSR pts we'll be happy clams

There are 3 of us; myself and my 2 kids, who are 9 & 12. We usually take a week in the summer and several long weekends at other times of the year. We generally stay in a 1 bedroom; sometimes 2, when we just want to enjoy a little extra space. I love that we CAN manage in a studio, though we have yet to do so (I did book one for a solo birthday trip last year.)

Just once, we have 360 points at BLT, and added on 100 at AKV, just so we could do an occasional CL stay.

I think 460 suit us well; its really more than enough. I was tempted by Aulani, but ultimately realized that the airfare was just too cost prohibitive. I see Hawaii as a once (maybe twice) in a lifetime trip for our family. We'll take our chances and see if we can every book Aulani at 7 months.

1 - How many points do you have? 340
2 - Why this number? Family of 4...2-3 Vacations/Year (how large a family, how many vacations per year,...)
3 - How many times have you added on?Initial purchase 220, 1 add-on 120.
4 - How many points do you eventually want?No more--purchasing Wyndham contract for more flexiblility of staying othe places.

;)

We own 160 AKV since 2008

We are a family of six..33, 34, 12, 10, 8, 8 months

We always stay in a 2 bedroom once a year...

(when we joined we got 160 SSR developer points so we were able to bank our 2008 AKV points. That was a great way to start out our membership!)

We haven't added on yet...we probably will soon due to the point chart reallocations

We currently have 175 all at VGC.
We are DH and myself, have three kids (two with spouses) and 8 grandkids. We hope to treat a group or two a year and if there are points left go once in awhile alone. (we'd planned on doing that in May for F&W but trip grew to 5 in a 1 BR instead of 2 in a studio)
We are restricted by work schedule days off and have other places we sometimes go to (Denver to visit son, Mexico for DH to snorkel), so with the time we have and money we are comfortable to pay for MF this is the right number for us. We started with a 25 point OKW resale to get in the system, then bought 60, 65 and 50 VGC as add ons (we bought the 60 and 65 at the same time, then added on the 50 later) They are all paid off and we could afford more, but those yearly MF are what I base more points around, so we will stay where we are with 175.

200 at AKV

Right now, it's just me (26) and DH (25). I first bought when I was 24 and not married. I was planning for a wedding and saving up for a house, so I couldn't buy too many points. Right now, 200 is enough (well sorta LOL) since it's only the two of us. We'll usually go about twice a year. Sometimes it will just be a studio, or sometimes we'll do a 2 bedroom with my parents and sister since my parents have 170 points at SSR and we'll combine.

I haven't added on yet. I'm an actuary and my first purchase was a gift to myself when I became an ASA. I told myself I wouldn't add on again until I became an FSA (which is why I have to push myself!) I definitely plan on adding on again before we have kids.

I don't have a set number - but I do know that I plan on having more than 200!

We have 480 - 230 @ OKW and 250 @ SSR. SSR was our "add on". We generally average 2 trips per year. We're empty nesters but have our daughter's family (2 grandsons) and our son's family (1 granddaughter). This is probably the number we'll keep, especially when you can purchase supplemental points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter