2009 Version: Where and when are you going?

We(Me,dh, dd19,ds11,ds9, and dd6) just got back from Southwest Splendors last night. More fabulous than I even expected, and I expected alot! We are doing Quest for the West July 23rd!

We(Me,dh, dd19,ds11,ds9, and dd6) just got back from Southwest Splendors last night. More fabulous than I even expected, and I expected alot! We are doing Quest for the West July 23rd!
Yay! Welcome back, Jen. Can hardly wait for your trip report! I signed up for the Canadian Rockies trip, but I'm having a hard time believing it will beat Southwest Splendors!

Sayhello

I spoke with Con and Bernadette this morning (your traveling companions and my friends!) for about 30 minutes and they said the same thing! He's coming over later to get info on the Galapagos Islands trip, and also Quest for the West. Who knows... you may see him again! :)

Our family of five plus one son's girlfriend are on the June 5, 2009, Bella Italia trip! I have air for five out of six (with FF miles... whew!) so only have to pay the $1700.00 airfare for one. This is an adult-only trip with a lot of people who traveled together in 2006 on Viva Italia! I'm very excited!

Dotti

Our family of five plus one son's girlfriend are on the June 5, 2009, Bella Italia trip! I have air for five out of six (with FF miles... whew!) so only have to pay the $1700.00 airfare for one. This is an adult-only trip with a lot of people who traveled together in 2006 on Viva Italia! I'm very excited!

Dotti

Dotti,

You've already booked your flights for June 2009? Do you think rates won't get any better (cheaper) or do you prefer to book early and get the flights/seats you want?

Thanks for any input.

Dotti,

You've already booked your flights for June 2009? Do you think rates won't get any better (cheaper) or do you prefer to book early and get the flights/seats you want?

Thanks for any input.

I primarily booked the flights this early because the trip only cost me 50k FF miles for each of the first five tickets. I knew that if I waited, this would double (it actually already did).

The reason I want to buy the last ticket really soon is because my 22-year-old has a 21 hour layover in Paris (intentionally). He wants to visit cousins for a few hours before coming home. The one ticket I'm purchasing is for my 21-year-old who will be traveling with him. I'm willing to pay a little more just to be sure they're on the same flight.

Do I think they'll go down? That's a tough one and people ask me this all the time. This year, we bought out tickets for France ($1450/pp) way in advance and they went up to $2200/pp. Having to buy five tickets, I didn't want to risk waiting!

For domestic flights, I know that prices fluctuate especially when the low-cost airlines release their rates closer to the travel dates. For international, the options are fewer and the seats are limited, so other than the occasional off-season sale, I haven't seen prices decrease in the past few years.

That said, with the state of the economy and the price of fuel, who knows anymore? I can't possibly answer this as an "expert" because my expertise has only been in times of relative economic stability.

Wish I could be more helpful but since I always tell my kids never to pretend they know something for sure when they're just guessing, I also have to take that advice myself. ;)

Dotti

Yay! Welcome back, Jen. Can hardly wait for your trip report! I signed up for the Canadian Rockies trip, but I'm having a hard time believing it will beat Southwest Splendors!

Say Hello,
Your trip report was so thorough, I have no need to do another one! I referred to yours constantly before and during the trip and found it so helpful and informative. I wish I could find one for Quest for the West. I, too, am afraid that its itinerary won't live up to Southwest Splendors!

Say Hello,
Your trip report was so thorough, I have no need to do another one! I referred to yours constantly before and during the trip and found it so helpful and informative. I wish I could find one for Quest for the West. I, too, am afraid that its itinerary won't live up to Southwest Splendors!
Aw, you"re going to make me blush. :flower3: I"m so glad you found it useful! I have to think there"s one out there *somewhere* for Quest for the West; so many people have taken it!

I at least want to hear some detailed impressions from you!

Who were your guides?

Sayhello

Anybody else having issues with the editor, or is it just me? Suddenly, apostrophe takes me to "Quick Find" and I can"t scroll... I hope it"s just a glitch. This is very annoying!

Our guides were Maura and Geraldine, and they were wonderful. I was concerned about going in August because of the heat. But with it being monsoon season, it was wonderful temperatures. Our hike to delicate arch was in 70 degrees on the way up--we were actually chilly until about half way up. Definitely did NOT need to use the cooldanas! And we saw waterfalls coming out of the cliffs at arches because of the rain. Very rare to see. We only had rain for an hour one afternoon in Sedona. And our first glimpse of the grand canyon that first evening was in a monsoon. Unbelievable hurricane force winds(and I'm from hurricane country!) rain and sleet pelting. But lasted an hour and then glorious weather the rest of the trip.
We enjoyed everything that was scheduled. They had the times down to a science. We never felt herded like cattle, but yet never felt bored either. Everything was just right.
We did the hour helicopter flight over the canyon, which was truly spectacular. Rented ATV's in Moab which was a definite highlight as the rains had left a lot of water rushing in Onion Creek Canyon and provided a very muddy and exciting experience! 4 of our family did horseback riding, while myself and my youngest did the Hummer ride. Onion Creek Canyon was too wet so we got upgraded to Hell's Revenge, which is a pretty apt description of what we climbed in that Hummer! And the river rafting was at a Class 2 &3 stage because of the flooding from the rains. So much fun.
I had never been on a group tour before and had many concerns. But it was so wonderful. Everyone was so considerate of everyone else's time; no one was ever late for a meeting time. And our tour group really came together and I made some dear friends, as did my children. We have already started emailing. It would not have been nearly as fun and memorable if we had done the tour alone. The group really added to the experience.
Can't wait for next year!

DH & I headed to Alaska Sept 2 - Adults only trip. I was planning to book the trip Oct 1 since current extra $$ is going toward this year's vacation...will early booking discount still apply, or should I book sooner?

First ABD trip...soooo excited!!! :woohoo: Love all the wonderful trip reports.

DH & I headed to Alaska Sept 2 - Adults only trip. I was planning to book the trip Oct 1 since current extra $$ is going toward this year's vacation...will early booking discount still apply, or should I book sooner?

First ABD trip...soooo excited!!! :woohoo: Love all the wonderful trip reports.
The issue with the early booking discounts is that there are a limited number of them per date, so if, for example, all the EBD's are taken from your trip next week, that would be it, even though you're still over a year out from your trip. So really, it's a crapshoot whether or not there will be EBD's still available in October. The earlier you do your booking, the better your chances are of getting an EBD.

You will love ABD. They do great trips!

Sayhello

I am taking my daughters on the Knights & Lights trip on June 22, 2009 for the high school graduation trip. Anyone else on that tour?

Thanks for the reply, Sayhello. I guess I will have to take my chances and hope the EBD's are still available Oct 1. The only way I can book sooner is to take $600 out of THIS year's vacation fund, and that not would not be fair to the rest of my family. Either way, DH and I are going to Alaska Sept 09!!

P.S. Love, love, love your Southwest Splendors trippie! Great pictures!

Thanks for the reply, Sayhello. I guess I will have to take my chances and hope the EBD's are still available Oct 1. The only way I can book sooner is to take $600 out of THIS year's vacation fund, and that not would not be fair to the rest of my family. Either way, DH and I are going to Alaska Sept 09!!

P.S. Love, love, love your Southwest Splendors trippie! Great pictures!
:goodvibes Thanks! I've had such a great reaction to that trip report! Makes it so fun for me.

And you will LOVE Alaska! I was there 2 years ago (with Princess) and it was FABULOUS. I can't quite justify going back with ABD just yet, but it's on the long list...

Sayhello

Sayhello, you should get a Disney pat on the back for the superb trip report. That is what convinced me to book it for our wedding anniversary trip next September. Beautiful reporting. Thanks.:cheer2:

Sayhello, you should get a Disney pat on the back for the superb trip report. That is what convinced me to book it for our wedding anniversary trip next September. Beautiful reporting. Thanks.:cheer2:
Wow! :teeth: That is so cool to me. Thank you! And the best part is, I don't feel the least bit nervous about a statement like yours, because I thoroughly believe you will *LOVE* this trip! Glad I could help spread the enthusiasm! :banana:

Sayhello

Next summer, DH, DD (13 by then), DD (11 by then) and I are going on the Quest for the West tour starting August 23rd!

Im going just a few days after you!
My boyfriend and I just booked for Wyoming Aug 25 - 31.
Not sure if im allowed to link another disney site here but we are going through all ears website on one of Deb's hosted trips.
It's adults only even tho there are no wyoming adults only trip.
We are excited, my BF is really looking forward to it.
I hope it is all we are hoping it will be!
We asked his aunt and uncle if they wanted to go and his uncle said he didn't want to go on a "bus tour" and made us feel like it won't be that much fun, but I think differently.

any tips from anyone that has gone would be greatly appreciated even tho its way early lol
can never start planning TOO early!

We asked his aunt and uncle if they wanted to go and his uncle said he didn't want to go on a "bus tour" and made us feel like it won't be that much fun, but I think differently.
ABD's are absolutely NOT "bus tours". I don't want to go on a "bus tour", either! You sometimes use a motorcoach to get from place to place, but once you are there, you are out and *DOING* things at the destinations. I haven't been on Quest for the West, but I've done the Southwest Splendors trip, and it couldn't have been less of a "bus tour". Point your uncle to my trip report (in my signature) then see if he thinks it's a bus tour! If he still does, his loss! You will have a great time! Quest for the West is a very popular tour.

Sayhello

ABD's are absolutely NOT "bus tours". I don't want to go on a "bus tour", either! You sometimes use a motorcoach to get from place to place, but once you are there, you are out and *DOING* things at the destinations. I haven't been on Quest for the West, but I've done the Southwest Splendors trip, and it couldn't have been less of a "bus tour". Point your uncle to my trip report (in my signature) then see if he thinks it's a bus tour! If he still does, his loss! You will have a great time! Quest for the West is a very popular tour.

Sayhello

Thank you!! I told my boyfriend how does your uncle think we would go places if we weren't on the trip? drive im guessing so its the same difference but we won't have to do any of the driving :-)

Im also thinking why would they sell out so quick if it isn't fabulous!!??

Thanks again!

can't wait - July 12th 2009. Just hope it lives up to the Costa Rica standard!!

Well, I had posted earlier that we were going to Quest for the West on August 23rd, following in the footsteps of another family on this thread who is following a Southwest Splendors trip with one to Wyoming. But when the two DDs got home from camp and we told them the great news, they were astonishingly not excited. They were afraid that it would be too much like Southwest Splendors and that they would keep comparing it to our amazing week in Arizona and Utah. We pointed out to them how popular a tour Quest for the West is and also how different the scenery is. But DH and I were sufficiently taken with their reaction to look into other ABD tours, especially because there are so many of them that we want to do. The girls asked for something really adventurous so after a lengthy chat with ABD, we have changed our reservation and are headed on August 18th to Peru! Daddy Brady, I figured if you guys are following us to Southwest Splendors, you should follow us down to Lima. I'm a little taken aback by this idea, actually, but DH is very excited, and we have a year and two days to figure out how to deal with the oxygen issues. Anyone else switch destinations like this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter