• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aladdin

We saw the extended trailer at Disney Studios last month. I didn’t have any interest until we saw that. We really liked the trailer & it made us decide to see the movie this weekend.

Same here. I wasn't really all that excited about the movie, but then my husband and I saw the ten minute preview at HS, and we liked what we saw. I was surprised that my husband wanted to see it, because he's really not all that into Disney movies. We both really enjoyed the movie, though!

I am excited to see it. I have enjoyed all the live action remakes. I like to see the changes they make.

Loved Robin Williams and I love Will Smith. I am sure Will has made the genie his own without trying to be like Robin.

Exactly! Will Smith does not try to recreate Robin Williams. He definitely makes the Genie his own, and it works!

There are quite a few hidden references to Disney and other Disney movies in the live action Aladdin, just like you'd find in Disney's animated movies, which I thought were wonderfully done. There was one in particular that really tickled me. Stop reading, if you don't want to know...but, I loved the scene where Aladdin and the Genie are talking and a couple of times the camera switches over to the Magic Carpet. He's building a sand castle in the sand, and each time it switches back to the Magic Carpet, you can see that his sand castle gets more and more elaborate until finally it looks like the castle in the Magic Kingdom. I really got a kick out of that! After the movie, I was telling my husband how funny I thought that was, and he said he didn't even notice it in the movie! LOL!

I have absolutely no patience with Political Correctness, especially in mainstream entertainment, sports, etc.. Which are something that should be appreciated and enjoyed by anyone and everyone. I do not wish to be a captive audience. Whether I agree with all or parts of the message, or not.
If this is an issue (more than just some references in one song) I will be skipping this one.

Ok, I guess I haven't been paying attention. I am just excited about one of my favorite Disney animated movies coming to life with one of my favorite actors. So---question--what is all this political correctness being talked about??

I would be interested in more details, too.
I am reading here 'fighting for women's rights' and she is 'wanting to be Sultan'. That and something about the one song.

Well, I don't see the issue with any changes made. I mean it was a bit sexist the way her father was pushing her to get married.

But I don't exactly remember her being "all for it" in the animated version. And wasn't part of the reason her father was wanting her to get married so that she could rule when he died or retired or whatever? So, I really don't see how there was that big of a change.

I'm not at all interested in the live action remakes, except for Mulan because she is my favorite princess. I may take my kids to see Aladdin once school is out, just for something to do. I wish that, instead of pouring all this money into these live action remakes, Disney would put it toward building another park. The current parks are always filled, it's time to expand.

We have tickets for Monday. My DH is not as excited as me, but I love going to the movies and am not as critical of remakes. We’ll see!!

I am seeing it tomorrow and I am SUPER excited! I loved the original, absolutely adore Robin Williams, and I think that Will Smith was a brilliant choice. And from what I've heard of the soundtrack, I think it's awesome. I'm so hoping it doesn't let me down!

I am seeing it tomorrow and I am SUPER excited! I loved the original, absolutely adore Robin Williams, and I think that Will Smith was a brilliant choice. And from what I've heard of the soundtrack, I think it's awesome. I'm so hoping it doesn't let me down!

I loved the original (and it’s hard to top Robin Williams in any role), but my DD and I went this afternoon and we both agreed that it was a fun movie and really enjoyable! I was pleasantly surprised.

Will Smith did a great job considering the shoes he had to fill and all of the actors were excellent. The special effects and music were great too. Two thumbs up from us!

We went last night to see it and I absolutely loved it. I loved the music, the costumes, and thought the storyline changes were great. At first, it was a little hard to accept anyone other than Robin Williams being the genie, but I thought Will Smith did a great job.

I loved the set and costume design but like the other live action remakes this was missing the magic and wonder that the animated one had. The songs were absolutely terrible and over produced. Action sequences were well put together. Straight Male here and I didnt find anything of the story to be heavy handed or overly PC so I have no idea where that is coming from ‍♂️

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me what that has to do wit Aladdin. Why did @L&Lfan bring it up to begin with?

I mean, is that really in reference to the new song and giving Jasmine more agency?

I haven’t seen the movie yet but I was curious and read a few reviews- LA Times wrote it had a “dash of politically corrective subtext”, and the Hollywood Reporter wrote “The combination of diverse casting and female empowerment themes results in a perfectly politically correct Aladdin for these times”.

I don’t understand why those two things would be branded politically correct when they could be, oh I don’t know, just things that should be commonplace in mainstream media?

Ok, I guess I haven't been paying attention. I am just excited about one of my favorite Disney animated movies coming to life with one of my favorite actors. So---question--what is all this political correctness being talked about??
As near as I can tell the objection seems to be that they made the female lead character an actual, well... character.

As near as I can tell the objection seems to be that they made the female lead character an actual, well... character.

Ohhhhh. Well that’s ridiculous. Jasmine was always a bit of a stronger female than the ones before her. She wasn’t waiting for “her prince”. Sounds like they just brought that out in the character. Goodness. Now I want to see it MORE!

I saw the movie yesterday, and I liked it a lot. I liked the fact that they did not have this Genie try and be like the original Genie. They were definitely different, and the only stand out similarity that I saw was that he kept telling Aladdin to be himself. The backstory for the Genie was a nice addition. My favorite part/song was the new song Speechless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter