• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aladdin

I'm taking my kiddos on Monday as a surprise. I wasn't sure I wanted to see it, but then the most recent trailer made me change my mind. I'm pretty excited about it!

I will see it this weekend, I can't wait. I saw Will Smith on the Graham Norton show the other day and he was very respectful about Robin Williams.

To me it just didn’t look as good as the “live” Beauty and the Beast. We are going to pass on this one and see it when it’s available to rent in 60-90 days from now.

I saw it this afternoon and I LOVED it!!!!! Jasmine is my favorite princess. If Disney had screwed this up, the whole internet would hear about it from me. But they didn't. It was nearly perfect.

The only issue I had was a fairly minor part. At the beginning of the movie when Aladdin and Jasmine are running around the marketplace. In the animated version, Jasmine has no problem using the pole to jump to the next building instead of the plank bridge the Aladdin set up for her. In the live action version Jasmine couldn't make the jump without a lot of coaxing from Aladdin. In that moment Jasmine reverted into a whiny, helpless princess. It was completely out of character for her.

Other than that, Naomi Scott killed it as Jasmine! Just like I knew she would. For those of you that don't remember/know/notice, Naomi Scott was in the DCOM Lemonade Mouth. My favorite DCOM ever! I was thrilled that Disney picked her to portray my favorite princess.

Will Smith as Genie doesn't hold a candle to Robin Williams's version. But he was a very enjoyable Genie. It was a nice twist on the character. I do wish that he would've called Carpet "Rug Man" just once.

I don't get the PC complaints. Jasmine was always against getting married in the animated version. Remember her line "If I do marry, I want it to be for love." They just made her intent a little more clear in the live action version.

I saw it with the wife last night and we both loved it. Granted, we are easy to please, but I thought it was very entertaining and the special effect were great. Will Smith was excellent as genie. I laughed out loud on quite a few occasions.

The more I read the more excited I am to go see it. I was to see it today but when I went to book my seat the "good seats" were taken so I am seeing it tomorrow.

Aladdin has always been one of my oldest DD’s favorites. She was on the fence about seeing it but went with a friend Friday night. She loved it so much she took the younger two to see it yesterday. If it passed snuff with her it must be pretty darn good. She said Will Smith made the movie.

Saw the movie today— it started a little slow (I’m not a fan of live-action musicals existing seemingly for the sake of adding in musical numbers) but I really liked the film. Loved the costumes, loved Jasmine, and agree with those who say that Will Smith was perfect as Genie. Yes, you can pick apart any film for this or that, but taken in its entirety, it was entertaining and had its touching moments. One of my favorite scenes was Princess Jasmine singing after she was taken away. Loved it!

I saw it today, and my daughter and I enjoyed it immensely! Dumbo was a definite waste of money by comparison. Will Smith was very enjoyable, and I liked both Jasmine and Aladdin. I really don't know what movie the NYT reviewer watched. All he wanted to do was complain about Disney wanting to make a buck. Well, I think Disney, Earned my dollars with Aladdin!

I really don’t get the criticism of this movie. If you are going in expecting an exact copy of the animated feature then yes it is not the same. But I though it was great. And best of all I didn’t fall asleep like I did during dumbo.

We saw Aladdin yesterday and we (me, DH, 14yo DD, 19 yo DD and her 19yo friend) all loved it! I thought Will Smith was a great Genie. He made the character his own. I was worried about "missing" Robin Williams, but that didn't happen. I'm so glad we went to see this movie. Call me crazy, but I like to enjoy a movie like this at face value and I don't need to pick it apart or worry about political correctness. I just enjoy it for what it is -- pure entertainment.

Still not planning in seeing it, but my son watched it and said it was better than he expected. He didn't like the editing and thought it was obvious that the singing wasn't live (they looked like they were lip synching) and wasn't super thrilled with some of the singing. But it was ok. 🤷‍♂️

My family saw it last night in a 4DX Theatre and we had so much fun, especially the magic carpet scenes! I didn’t love the “Speechless” song but everything else I thought was well done and visually beautiful.

Went to see this over the weekend. I enjoyed it. I thought Will Smith did a great job of making the role his and not trying to imitate Robin Williams. I very much enjoyed the message of equality that the part of this Jasmine brought to the movie.

We saw it yesterday and absolutely loved it! I think will smith did a great job as the genie, he didn’t try to redo Robin Williams but made it his own, the special effects were good but not over the top. The costumes were terrific. And I thought the musical numbers were spot on. I’d highly recommend it.

The animated one is one of my favorite Disney movies so I have no plans to see this one.
I'm not a fan of re-makes, there are some things that should be left alone and IMO a perfect movie is one of those things.

Stop reading, if you don't want to know...but, I loved the scene where Aladdin and the Genie are talking and a couple of times the camera switches over to the Magic Carpet. He's building a sand castle in the sand, and each time it switches back to the Magic Carpet, you can see that his sand castle gets more and more elaborate until finally it looks like the castle in the Magic Kingdom. I really got a kick out of that! After the movie, I was telling my husband how funny I thought that was, and he said he didn't even notice it in the movie! LOL!

I noticed it and liked how Magic Carpet flicked sand over it and it looked like fireworks!

Saw it last night with DH, DS20, and DD16 and we all loved it! Will Smith was fabulous. Loved Jasmine's wardrobe! We are big fans of the original animated movie and this one definitely did it justice. I plan on taking my nieces just to have an excuse to see it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter