Am I the Only One Who Thinks Disney is Failing In Its Progression Vs. Universal

I too would like to see the current attractions refurbished instead of having the multimillion dollar housing. That just seems out of place. PP could use some sprucing up, as well as JC. Actually, Adventureland really needs to be spruced up all around. And most of the Studios needs a facelift!

Well, I guess what the public wants and what the bean counters at Disney want are two completely separate things. Are they high on something? :rotfl:

I too would like to see the current attractions refurbished instead of having the multimillion dollar housing. That just seems out of place. PP could use some sprucing up, as well as JC. Actually, Adventureland really needs to be spruced up all around. And most of the Studios needs a facelift!

Well, I guess what the public wants and what the bean counters at Disney want are two completely separate things. Are they high on something? :rotfl:

I understand the push earlier for more hotel capacity, because with that and Magical Express they are able to get you there and keep you onsite at all times. Since then, they have become terribly short-sighted. As a business, their goal is "butts in the seats", and they are currently accomplishing that with endless discounts. That is not a viable long-term strategy.

I understand the push earlier for more hotel capacity, because with that and Magical Express they are able to get you there and keep you onsite at all times. Since then, they have become terribly short-sighted. As a business, their goal is "butts in the seats", and they are currently accomplishing that with endless discounts. That is not a viable long-term strategy.

A moderate would be nice. I can understand using what was going to be the Legendary Years for the family suites. Many families that come down need suites and they don't want two rooms. I love the mod feeling though. Perfect type of resort for my family. I cannot see paying much more for a room we don't stay in more though, you know? The main draw at CBR was the pool. If we went to US we would stay onsite only so we could get the FOTL passes. I hear they have nice hotels too.

I understand about the discount strategy though. It "cheapens" the product. Now the consumer will always expect a discount.

A moderate would be nice. I can understand using what was going to be the Legendary Years for the family suites. Many families that come down need suites and they don't want two rooms. I love the mod feeling though. Perfect type of resort for my family. I cannot see paying much more for a room we don't stay in more though, you know? The main draw at CBR was the pool. If we went to US we would stay onsite only so we could get the FOTL passes. I hear they have nice hotels too.

I understand about the discount strategy though. It "cheapens" the product. Now the consumer will always expect a discount.

Aside from Animal Kingdom lodge (which I have not stayed at but have visited, and it was the most beautifully themed resort I've ever been to), the hotels at US are head and shoulders above anything Disney has to offer. Two of them are owned by Loews, and the other is managed by Loews (I think the Hard Rock is actually owned by the Seminole tribe), and you will be spoiled after staying there and having the unlimited Express AND being a short walk from the parks.

I would recommend the Royal Pacific, but all 3 are top notch!

Many on here who love Disney and visit both parks often have posted repeatedly that the Universal parks are kept just as clean as WDW. I myself have always been impressed with the cleanliness of Uni/IOA as well as WDW. So until I see either park "Dirty" I cannot believe otherwise.

Are the resorts at Universal dirty? Because the last time we stayed at the Poly, it was less than stellar. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, we'll never stay there again as a result because is was filthy. Fwiw, I didn't see any of Rips posts as ignorant either.

I disagree that they are not staying up to date with the latest technology. One of the reasons I love WDW over parks like Six Flags is that they cater to families of all sizes. They also take the time to consider all of the things that go on for a family at the park for the day.

If you need food there are many choices that include both a variety of counter and sitdown meals.

Disney realized that waiting in line is no fun so they are improving theming on ride queues. Soarin added the big screen games, Space Mountain has the video games, Toy Story Mania has Mr. Potato head and the new Dumbo will have games as well. We waited in line for TSMM for the hour wait and really didn't mind it. Air conditioning and plenty to see.

My DD goes to Six Flags and waits hours in the baking sun to ride a coaster for a few minutes. Not my idea of fun.

I think many things Disney does to accomodate their guests go unnoticed since they may not be "the new thrill ride".

Think about the expansion of fantasy land. Many families bring their little girls to Disney for the magic of meeting characters. Now there will be many new areas for that purpose. I always describe Fantasy Land as a traffic jam of strollers ramming into your ankles. With the expansion there will be more room for the toddler set to spread out and experience attractions. Maybe the existing Fantasy land attractions will have shorter lines.

Are the resorts at Universal dirty? Because the last time we stayed at the Poly, it was less than stellar. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, we'll never stay there again as a result because is was filthy. Fwiw, I didn't see any of Rips posts as ignorant either.

Thank you :)

The resorts at Universal are impeccable, but they are owned (2 out of 3) and managed (3 out of 3) by Loews. Not that that is a bad thing, I think it's brilliant.

Discounts are nothing but evening the current overpriced cost of staying onsite. Who can pay the regular price, $400 a night for deluxe when you can have same if not better quality for half price offsite. Even renting a car and parking at the park will not even $400 a night. And don't make me start on villas, you can have 1 - 2 bdr villa for $150 at the great resort with tons of activities. Even with their deepest discounts it is much more expensive then used to be just couple of years ago. I do not know how they will get out of "discount stage" keeping customers happy and still comming.

Disney needs more attractions for their teen and adult visitors. We were huge Disney fanatics-we are even DVC members. Now that our daughter is a teenager, she has maybe 10% of the interest she used to have to go to WDW. The Fantasyland refurb holds no interest at all. We used to go to Orlando for WDW with Uni as a side trip, however, these days it's just the opposite.

For those that put down Universal, either you're going there looking for things to criticize or you've been so pixie dusted that you can't se straight. Anything that you've seen at Uni, believe me, we've seen at WDW- PDAs, drunken guests, smoking in undesignated areas,etc.

The theming at the Uni parks is every bit as good as WDW. Also the resorts are much nicer than those at WDW.The staffs are there to cater to the guests. Even the GF doesn't touch the lowest priced Royal Pacific resort. Not to it's mention Uni appreciates it's return visitors. If you join You First through Loews, you can earn upgraded stays. It isn't done through the whim of a marketing dept or how good or bad day the check in CM is having.

We will still go to WDW as it's sentimental but I wish they would do things to draw us back enthusiastically.

Um, the difference is that there is oil in the gulf. The parks at UO are not dirty.
Exactly. You can't post something that's simply not true and expect others not to comment.

That's not to say that either resort is always perfect. I've seen less than stellar things at both Universal and WDW but this is extremely rare. Overall, the parks are pristine and it's nice to see.

Why did this thread get moved? I've actually never even been in this area - Theme Parks Community. This looks like games so why is this here? :confused3

Exactly. You can't post something that's simply not true and expect others not to comment.

That's not to say that either resort is always perfect. I've seen less than stellar things at both Universal and WDW but this is extremely rare. Overall, the parks are pristine and it's nice to see.

Why did this thread get moved? I've actually never even been in this area - Theme Parks Community. This looks like games so why is this here? :confused3

To stop people from commenting further :)

I'm personally curious at what people think would make great attractions at all the parks - Disney (all of them including water parks), both Universal Parks and all of the Seaworld parks. Dis members know these parks better than anyone and "get it". I have no doubt that within these boards people have tons of ideas.

I consider Universal more in the class of Six Flags--a dirty park full of teenagers and great thrill rides.
If Universal was not down the road from WDW, it would not be compared. Universal spends big bucks in an effort to compete with Disney.
I doubt there are many of out of state passholders to US whereas many renew their APs at Disney year after year. We had passes the year IOA opened and have not had the desire to go back since. Have been to the world in excess of 100 days since and always eager for more.
How many Make a Wish kids are dreaming of Universal? What Superbowl Champ says "I won the Superbowl now I'm going to Universal? Any US brides? How many Europeans come over for a holiday to US? Brazillian tour groups?
It just is not in the same class, despite new rides and will always be the wannabe ugly stepsister. Nope, that's Disney too!

Re the point in bold above.....in the UK, although opinions are very mixed, overall I'd say most people seem to prefer your Universal Parks than WDW. I am not one of those people but when I told someone that I will only be doing one day in Universal they were shocked. To illustrate, here is a thread from a UK Disney fansite of people discussing missing Disney out on their next trip...

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=427004

And another one discussing which is best...

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=400692&highlight=Disney+Universal

As a business, their goal is "butts in the seats", and they are currently accomplishing that with endless discounts. That is not a viable long-term strategy.

According to Iger in the last two DIS quarterly meetings, they will be phasing out the discounts and returning to normal pricing stratgey by 2011. (You can Google Disney Earning report and read the transcripts for yourself.)

The resort strategy, as I understand it, was to bring the people staying off property, around the gates, onto the property by offering Value Resorts. On top of that, Disney has been building DVC resorts. Yes, they may have succeeded in bringing people onto property that would have previoulsy stayed off property, but the off property resorts are still booking people as well. So net effect, more people, no additional parks or attractions to handle the crowds. The FL expansion only offers one new ride and that is aimed more at families with small children and mostly girls. You will get some boys interested in it but then there will also be some girls that say nahhh.

No matter waht time of year you go now, you wait in line at least 30 minutes to ride the main rides (Splash, Space, BTMRR, Soarin' TT, ToT, RRC, EE, etc.)

I absolutely love WDW. I haven't been to US in years but I will probably go on one of my remaining trips this year, mainily because I am a huge Potter fan.

I still think the overall comparison between the two parks is hard to do. So, just considering WDW, as a Disney fanatic, I would like to see some new rides and replacement of the dated rides as mentioned in the above postins and other threads. I realize it takes time to plan & develop these things, I just hope there is a BIG HUGE pipeline working for the Imagineers! :)

Can you prove it isn't true? It's an OPINION
o·pin·ion
–noun
1.a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2.a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
I've only been to US once, back in 2002 when we did our first Disney visit. Been back to Disney countless times since, never set foot in US again. Of course things may have changed in 8 long years but my opinion of US (and epically IOA) was the same of the PP. Dirty, filthy and full of people who were those things plus on top of that rude. We witnessed trash on the ground in general and in cue's, rude workers, poor food quality, smoking in line and even got to see a grown man shove a woman out of the way to get his picture with Spiderman. While these things can (and do) happen at Disney as well we saw it much more prevailant at US and it ruined the parks for us. Will I ever go back? Maybe, probably not, they had their shot with me and it was ruined. I have a list of hundreds of other places I'd rather visit before trying US again.

But does that mean it isn't for everyone, no. I don’t get people who go to the beach every year for vacation, they don't get why I go to WDW ever year. But I don't make your paycheck, I'm certainly not going to tell you where to spend it. Nor will I call you an inferior human being if your opinion does not align directly with mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter