• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

An Actor that was perectly cast

Scarlett Johansson - Girl with a Pearl Earring.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tom Hanks as Jim Lovell in Apollo 13. However, I fully admit that Tom Hanks is just about the only actor I feel like I really know. So.... I can't think of anyone else to play Lovell because.... I can't think of anyone else period! Ha!

I don't know if Kevin Bacon was "perfectly cast" as Swigert in Apollo 13, but I love that he's in Apollo 13. If you go by "personal acquaintances" and not strictly "actors who played in the same movie" my personal Bacon number is a solid 5, with a strong argument for a 4.

was he the one at the end of the movie who tells the remaining ranking solider that he was in charge....the actor who went on to be a comedian. ???

I don't think so. You'd recognize him if you saw him in anything starting with the late 80s. His hair turned white and he usually has a mustache. His military movie consulting business is called Warriors, Inc.

Here he is consulting for Saving Private Ryan.

saving-private-ryan-bts-dale-dye.jpg

And his role in Platoon when his hair hadn't turned white yet.

Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan. If anyone was made to play a school teacher that reluctantly goes to war and leads his men to basically sacrifice themselves in a low probability defense of a position it is Tom Hanks.
interesting...i was very bothered by tom hanks in the role....i had to see the movie twice to make sure that tom hanks was not dead...that is how disturbed i was about the movie and his death . not sure it was a good fit...toms hanks...up to that point was not a tragic figure ....would Jimmy stewart have been good in the part if the movie was in his era

Tom Hanks has been tired of the Jimmy Stewart comparisons for more than 30 years. “It’s Jimmy Stewart this, Jimmy Stewart that,” Hanks told Parade in 1987. “It’s as big a compliment as you can get, but it’s not anywhere near accurate.” Yet he can’t make them stop. “If I had made this in 1951, I would’ve wanted Jimmy Stewart to play the part,” Steven Spielberg told Cox News Service in 1998 while discussing Saving Private Ryan. One year later, in a widely reprinted piece for Knight Ridder, Elvis Mitchell asked, “Is Tom Hanks this generation’s Jimmy Stewart?” (Conclusion: yes.) Years later, while bestowing a 2014 Kennedy Center Honor on Hanks, President Obama also summoned Stewart, saying, “People have said that Tom is Hollywood’s everyman; that he’s this generation’s Jimmy Stewart or Gary Cooper.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter