Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Doing OK. After the first (always crazy) week of school, I'm hoping things fall into a nice routine. I'll be subbing sometimes on Mondays and Fridays, and watching my honorary niece and nephew on Tuesday/Thursday mornings and on Wednesdays.

It's gotten cooler here, but I'm not getting that "I love fall" feeling yet - because it's also been really grey.

We have a couple of college visits coming up for DS, and a college fair/financing seminar tonight at his school. I think he's alternately excited and nervous about it all.

We also have a Disney trip coming up in December, and I'm immersing myself in little details!

Hi citizens of ALDIO! Hope to see everyone check in, it has been pretty quiet for a while. Nothing of great interest report but all is well.:)

I'm up next!

I wish to pose a question. Humour me! :)

So... recently I viewed an All in the family rerun. It involved Archie waking Mike and wanting him to dress quickly. Archie was miffed as to how Mike dressed! So.. got me thinking. How do YOU put your socks and shoes on?

Both socks first, then both shoes or One sock, one shoe, then dress the other foot.
Yeah, it's been quiet around here! :duck:

Last edited:

I'm up next!

So... recently I viewed an Archie Bunker rerun. It involved Archie waking Mike and wanting him to dress quickly. Archie was miffed as to how Mike dressed! So.. got me thinking. How do YOU put your socks and shoes on?

Both socks first, then both shoes or One sock, one shoe, then dress the other foot.

Hi Jane! This is the kind of thought provoking topic we so sorely need around here.:) I've recently converted to both socks first/shoes last to one sock/one shoe, then repeat. I usually get dressed in the master bath and on my last day of both socks first, I slipped on the flooring and fell hard, landing on my left arm and hitting my head on the closet door on the way down. No major injuries but I was dazed for a moment figuring out what happened, and the arm I fell on was sore for weeks. There was nothing on the floor (with grandkids you never know) but my socks just hit a slippery spot and down I went. Because I'd rather not repeat that episode I've altered my footwear process. Or I could just go to anywhere else in the house where there's carpet to don my shoes & socks.:teeth:

Hi Jane! This is the kind of thought provoking topic we so sorely need around here.:) I've recently converted to both socks first/shoes last to one sock/one shoe, then repeat. I usually get dressed in the master bath and on my last day of both socks first, I slipped on the flooring and fell hard, landing on my left arm and hitting my head on the closet door on the way down. No major injuries but I was dazed for a moment figuring out what happened, and the arm I fell on was sore for weeks. There was nothing on the floor (with grandkids you never know) but my socks just hit a slippery spot and down I went. Because I'd rather not repeat that episode I've altered my footwear process. Or I could just go to anywhere else in the house where there's carpet to don my shoes & socks.:teeth:

So sorry about your fall... yikes! I've recently made a change to one foot fully dressed. It had occured to me that this may be the safest bet for me too.

It's 6:30'ish here and the light is so dimmed by the smoke it seems more like 9:30 pm. Here's a screen shot of the conditions:
View attachment 343141
Ugh that sounds awful. Hope things have improved since you've been initially dealing with it.

Living in a bushfire prone area sucks for a multiple of reasons. I hope they get it under control soon I know some of our firies are over there as I type giving extra assistance.

I am freezing. We’re currently relying on heat from the split system in one area of the house and my electricity bills are insane. Friday I got on the phone and negotiated a 40% pay on time discount for a guaranteed 12 months so should ease it a bit. We’re not using the coonara as we’ve just managed to get my sons asthma under control and I neglected to get the flue cleaned prior to Winter. I’m counting the days down to Spring.

It’s been a tough few months here, my dad has been quite ill and suffered two strokes which has seen him in and out of hospital. He’s just been allowed to start driving again, very short distances. But he still has a way to go. As we don’t live nearby I’ve been running up and down the highway more than usual, solely to give him the standard daughter dad lectures of not climbing up on ladders waving a chainsaw around at a gum tree. Lecture fell on death ears.

I’m here because I’m procrastinating, I have 8 pages of data to analyse which is hanging over my head like the sword of Damocles.

Hope all is well in ALDIO land :love:
I'm so sorry to hear about all the stuff that's been going on :sad2: Why things have to stack upon each other is beyond me.

Good thoughts and vibes your way :goodvibes:goodvibes

Just dropping in to say hello ALDIO disers. We just returned from a bus tour to Windsor, Ontario across the border from Detroit, USA. We went last winter and returned in a snow storm! So... this trip was more enjoyable. :sunny:
Glad to hear the trip went well!

My daughter, Sarah, and I are sitting in the terminal in Hartford, waiting to board our flight. WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!! So psyched!
Please tell us how the trip went:hyper::hyper:

:mickeyjum That's wonderful! DW & I have had many good trips with our DD who has developed into a wine snob.;) She steers us away from the ordinary:snooty::earboy2:
lol my mom calls my husband and I beer snobs now....because we don't want to drink Bud Light when we can drink other stuff :rotfl:

Doing OK. After the first (always crazy) week of school, I'm hoping things fall into a nice routine. I'll be subbing sometimes on Mondays and Fridays, and watching my honorary niece and nephew on Tuesday/Thursday mornings and on Wednesdays.

It's gotten cooler here, but I'm not getting that "I love fall" feeling yet - because it's also been really grey.

We have a couple of college visits coming up for DS, and a college fair/financing seminar tonight at his school. I think he's alternately excited and nervous about it all.

We also have a Disney trip coming up in December, and I'm immersing myself in little details!
Yay! Another Disney trip within the group!

It's gotten cooler here but as is normal it yo-yos so it'll be 80s this week and mid-80s this weekend. I was going to put up my fall/autumn decor up today but if it's going to me 85 this weekend I'm not so certain I should do it yet lol.

I'm up next!

So... recently I viewed an Archie Bunker rerun. It involved Archie waking Mike and wanting him to dress quickly. Archie was miffed as to how Mike dressed! So.. got me thinking. How do YOU put your socks and shoes on?

Good question :)

Most often it's both socks then shoes :D

OMG Ron I'm so sorry to hear that! I tend to not wear socks in the summer time but when I am wearing socks I get a little cautious. I took some good falls growing up at my mom's house. She didn't really wax the hardwood floors in the living room (which was the room you entered into from the front door) but somehow they were always so slippery. The bedrooms were up a few stairs from that living room (her house is a split level/tri-level) so when you came down from the bedroom area you had to be very careful. We have engineered hardwood in our home and I don't feel like it's as slippery as my mom's hardwood floors were.

P.S. not 'liking' your post for what happened of course.

lol my mom calls my husband and I beer snobs now....because we don't want to drink Bud Light when we can drink other stuff
Bud Light is to beer like grocery store sushi compared to something served in a restaurant. It's "technically"beer, but you're missing out on a lot.
I tend to not wear socks in the summer time but when I am wearing socks I get a little cautious
Yeah I haven't worn socks all summer, but the fall happened when I was getting ready to go out for a walk. It'll have to get really cold before I'm wearing socks around the house.:) See what I mean @NFLDERS Jane? This is exactly what this thread needed !

So I've got a few news.

We went on our Jamaica trip! It was fun and we had a good time but as Aaron put it he was ready to be back in the U.S. with reliable cell signal and we could understand the language more lol. Actually we understood about 60-75% of all what was spoken to us at any given time but there were times we had no idea what our taxi drivers were saying lol. Everyone was very nice though. Only exception was this one guy who didn't like that we said "no thank you" to him asking us if we wanted to buy weed, drink some beers or buy one of his wares he made. Of the numerous people to ask us about those things he was the only to be rude about it.

We went to this one place on the West End where the cliffs are and Aaron had a blast jumping off them. Thankfully he only jumped off the 10 and 12 foot parts.

Another night we went back to the West End and had a lovely dinner and we were able to storm watch a storm that was over the ocean:
upload_2018-9-10_17-8-34.png upload_2018-9-10_17-9-29.png

The most of the time was just spent relaxing. The one major excursion we did was to YS Falls and the Appleton Rum Estate. YS Falls is a natural cascading spring water waterfall that has several natural swimming "pools" on different levels of the falls. They also have several actual pools with one being a natural spring water one. The workers there at no additional cost (though tips are welcome but are never supposed to be asked for) guide you through the lower part of the Falls and will take your phone for pictures and video (so make sure your phone can handle drips of water every now and then). This was so nice to have them do that.
upload_2018-9-10_17-16-16.png upload_2018-9-10_17-16-39.png upload_2018-9-10_17-17-23.png

Aaron did some jumping off some ropes (he's so much more adventurous than me haha):
upload_2018-9-10_17-18-50.pngupload_2018-9-10_17-19-49.pngupload_2018-9-10_17-20-54.png

We had some great food and beautiful sunsets:

upload_2018-9-10_17-5-6.png upload_2018-9-10_17-10-47.png

It rained every afternoon but it's the Carribbean so that's to be expected. It never really dampered our plans and afterwards it would typically cool off a tad. Funny story because we were by the ocean it was a bit cooler at night. When we got back home and went outside to get a shuttle to the Parking Spot around 8:30pm it was terrible in terms of the humidity lol.

Continued on the next post...

So the Appleton Rum Estate was quite neat. They are not stingy at all with their drink samples lol. You also did a rum sampling of the lower end rum, mid-range rum and higher 'sipping' rum. I couldn't finish the 'sipping' rum one as I was getting tipsy haha. We got to try sugar cane which we hadn't done so before.

upload_2018-9-10_17-25-47.png upload_2018-9-10_17-32-49.png upload_2018-9-10_17-33-39.png
upload_2018-9-10_17-36-52.png (this is a wooden mill for the sugar cane)

They gave us these souviners (200mL amount) of their lower end rum:
upload_2018-9-10_17-34-35.png

Here are some other photos:
upload_2018-9-10_17-38-44.png upload_2018-9-10_17-40-25.png
upload_2018-9-10_17-41-46.png

So the other news is that Aaron is likely going to have to go to CA next year for at least 6months (but likely longer) for a start up position for one of the two powerplants being built there. He would be living just outside of LA and would come home every 2 weeks just like he did when he was in TX and MD. The good news is I'll probably get to go to DLR!!! I haven't been there since I was a few years old and I don't have any memory of it :( I'd love to be able to go twice with once being before Star Wars opens up. He hasn't signed the paperwork yet as they are working out just when they would send him out there so it's not official just very very likely.

Sorry for the ramblings lol :upsidedow

Bud Light is to beer like grocery store sushi compared to something served in a restaurant. It's "technically"beer, but you're missing out on a lot.
:rotfl::rotfl:::yes::

Yeah I haven't worn socks all summer, but the fall happened when I was getting ready to go out for a walk. It'll have to get really cold before I'm wearing socks around the house.:) See what I mean @NFLDERS Jane? This is exactly what this thread needed !
Dang just poor luck for you!

:rotfl2::lmao: That is so funny. I love the different scenarios they came up with :laughing:

So the Appleton Rum Estate was quite neat. They are not stingy at all with their drink samples lol. You also did a rum sampling of the lower end rum, mid-range rum and higher 'sipping' rum. I couldn't finish the 'sipping' rum one as I was getting tipsy haha. We got to try sugar cane which we hadn't done so before.

View attachment 350039 View attachment 350040 View attachment 350041
View attachment 350044 (this is a wooden mill for the sugar cane)

They gave us these souviners (200mL amount) of their lower end rum:
View attachment 350042

Here are some other photos:
View attachment 350045 View attachment 350046
View attachment 350047

So the other news is that Aaron is likely going to have to go to CA next year for at least 6months (but likely longer) for a start up position for one of the two powerplants being built there. He would be living just outside of LA and would come home every 2 weeks just like he did when he was in TX and MD. The good news is I'll probably get to go to DLR!!! I haven't been there since I was a few years old and I don't have any memory of it :( I'd love to be able to go twice with once being before Star Wars opens up. He hasn't signed the paperwork yet as they are working out just when they would send him out there so it's not official just very very likely.

Sorry for the ramblings lol :upsidedow

I loved your trip report. The ocean scenes make me want to visit a tropical destination asap. It will be awesome for you to go to DLR!

I loved your trip report. The ocean scenes make me want to visit a tropical destination asap. It will be awesome for you to go to DLR!
Thanks! We do wish we could have had our room ocean front like we did in Hawaii but the 7mile beach in Negril most of the resorts because of the little space they actually have they opt to put their restaurants, pools, etc near the beach and the rooms towards the back closer to the roads. We went during the low season and boy was it really low. We normally would have the restaurants to ourselves. It was quite nice to be eating with the ocean just steps from us. We're excited to see other islands in the future.

I'm excited about DLR. We had a few chances before that for me to go but we would have had more financial expenses. With the way it would be if he went out there we would only be responsible for the park tickets and parking there as his car would be there, his apartment would be paid for out of his per diem he would be getting and I would just use his plane ticket to get out there rather than him coming home that time. Right now the time frame is anywhere between Jan-May for him to go out there--I'm hoping we get a better idea of when soon lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter