Another TR :) my solo trip: parks, friends, and lots of Give Kids The World

It's been a nice if soggy night.
I headed out to HS tonight and got there about 5.30, there's been rain forecasted all day so it was a bit of a gamble as to if fantasmic would even be on but it's my last chance to see it, and I've missed it the last few trips so I was determined to stick around and try.
I had a FP for star tours so I headed over there first and took a nice trip through the wookie planet, but by the time I got out it was chucking it down :( I got a carrier bag from the store and used it as a makeshift umbrella and legged it to what used to be American idol.
After a little while there it slowed down to a light drizzle, so I headed over to voyage of the little mermaid. Had a look in the art of Disney store after that then headed over to RnRC. Rode that in single rider then rode ToT twice. Had a couple of really good bellhops, really into their role and gave us a good laugh. The first time I was sat next to a guy who hadn't been on it before, and at one point he accidentally grabbed my leg while the lift dropped! I didnt mind but we walked out with him apologising for it :)
It was 8pm by this point so I headed in for fantasmic, actually got to watch it this time, but Sod's law, as soon as the last scene finished it absolutely chucked it down. I was sat in the far left side so took me ages to get out the theatre, so by the time I got back to the car I was very soggy.
Headed over to the poly, it's mnnshp tonight so I wanted to watch hallowishes from the poly beach. Now I thought hallowishes is always 10pm so I thought I had plenty of time, but it was 9.30 so it started while I was getting parked.
Went to what used to be the beach, only to find they've blocked the entire back side of the poly off. Eventually managed to leg it down to the marina and watched it from the boat dock. Missed the first five minutes but caught the rest including the perimeter fireworks which I think are the best part :)
Headed back into the grand ceremonial house and went to captain cooks for some poly chips (mmmmm) :) then had a quick look though the store before heading back to the car
Now I love the poly, and I know it'll probably look very nice after they finish doing the work, but it looks like an absolute building site at the mo. The pool and the entire area (including the beach) is blocked off, and the entire of the main hall (the waterfall in the middle) is covered in construction walls. It looks horrible in there at the mo and there's no way I would want to stay there the way it is at the moment. I hope they're not still charging full rate for it....

Back at the hotel now, just had the last glass worth of baileys that was in the bottom of the bottle (trying to save weight going home, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) and watching tv

Tomorrow is one last park day (tickets expire tomorrow) and maybe the fort wilderness camp fire in the evening

Karen, thank you so much for sharing your excellent report. It sounds like you've had a lovely time. Well done for reaching the group interview stage for the CRP! I really hope you get it.

Thanks also for sharing your experiences with GKTW. You've inspired me to apply to be a volunteer, so hopefully I will get to give something back too. :)

Now I love the poly, and I know it'll probably look very nice after they finish doing the work, but it looks like an absolute building site at the mo. The pool and the entire area (including the beach) is blocked off, and the entire of the main hall (the waterfall in the middle) is covered in construction walls. It looks horrible in there at the mo and there's no way I would want to stay there the way it is at the moment. I hope they're not still charging full rate for it....

Unfortunately, I think they are! They seemed to be when I was researching my trip anyway. I think it's really bad! :sad2:

Thanks also for sharing your experiences with GKTW. You've inspired me to apply to be a volunteer, so hopefully I will get to give something back too. :) Unfortunately, I think they are! They seemed to be when I was researching my trip anyway. I think it's really bad! :sad2:

I've stayed at the poly before and I loved it, but even at the discounted rate I got it at I still thought it was overpriced.
So if I was paying full rack rate and didn't know about the construction til I got there, I'd be seriously peeved and would be asking to move resort....

And glad I've inspired you to go to GKTW, you won't regret going, it's a great experience and you get to have fun at the same time :)
It takes a couple of weeks to get registered and do the online orientation so try and do it a month or so before you go :)

Been a busy yet chilled out last day (if that's not too much of a contradiction!). I had every intention of being in MK for rope drop, but I got woken up by my phone ringing (who didn't even bother to leave a message, grr...) at 7am then decided I didn't want to get up early so turned the alarm off and went back to sleep
Eventually decided to get up at 9.30, so got up, made some brekkie then got to MK about 10.30. I swapped my FPs that I'd had booked for later in the evening, and went on space mountain, stitch, haunted mansion, splash, and big thunder. It was insanely hot by the time I decided to leave about 3 ish so I decided to head back to the hotel.
Spent a couple of hours lazing in the hotel, and packed my case up. Turns out I'm ever so slightly under the weight limit, but only just, so no more shopping for me :( not that I've bought much anyway, but I didn't realise that the birthday package my friend sent me (from the Disney florist) also had 12 Hershey bars in it, I wondered why it felt so heavy :rotfl: so at least I've got some treats for when I get home!
I wasn't originally planning to do any more parks but I decided about 5 ish to head to Epcot for a couple more rides, so I managed to see turtle talk, soarin and test track.
One good thing about the new FP+. No way under the old system would I be able to walk up to a kiosk at 5.12pm and score a fastpass for 5.30. So yay for FP+!
Headed out just after 6.30, and I'm now at fort wilderness. Checking off one more thing on the things I've never done list, and here for the campfire singalong with chip and dale :) although I kinda wish I'd bought some marshmallows with me, I'd read the s'mores kits were $5, but they're $10 and I don't really fancy paying $10 when I only really want one or two, not a whole box worth! Shame they don't do free marshmallow roasting like the other resorts do
The show is due to start at 8, so I'm gonna stay for that, but not for the movie as it's pirate fairy and I'm not a big tinker bell fan

Pretty much all packed up, I think checkout is 11am but my Disney tickets expire today so not sure what to do tomorrow.

Well it's been a fun evening :)
Started with a cute little campfire singalong show, and where else but Disney can grown ups do the Hokey Cokey with chip and dale at a campfire without feeling or looking like total idiots ;)
Then I went for a walk around the grand Floridian and watched the electrical water pageant, now sat on the poly beach waiting for wishes to start. A peaceful last night of a much needed holiday

Today's the last day and I'm writing this sat on the plane waiting to leave.
Had a lazy morning, got up late then checked out the hotel at 11. They let me leave my case there (was worried about the chocolate in my case melting if I left it in the car) so I went for a wander around DTD and Walmart.
Picked up my case on the way back and headed for the airport. Traffic was quiet ish so got to sanford in no time, and grabbed a few last minute bits from publix on the way.
Left going through security til quite late (sanford airport is boring!) and now sat on the plane. It's been a great and well needed holiday, back off home now and back to sucky reality!

No real lows of this trip, the only thing I would have changed is going back to late September. For me the heat has been a real problem, it's unrelenting and brutal. By 11.20 this morning it was 34 degrees.
There seems to be so much construction going on at the moment, downtown Disney marketplace is ok but pleasure island is a building site. The poly looks atrocious, animal kingdom is full of walls too. Surprised at MK, I'd imagined the hub to look bad too but it's not massively noticeable once you get past the hot dog place

I have loved following your trip report. I hopefuls been as fun as it sounded. Hope reality improves for you. Good luck :)

Really loved reading your trip report and you've given me some great ideas of things I never even knew about - namely the Campfire Singalong with Chip and Dale! Will definitely be doing that when we go. :thumbsup2

Your volunteering at GKTW has also inspired me and I'm looking at where I could possibly spare some time to volunteer.

Hope you have a safe journey home and that this holiday becomes a bit of a turning point for you and your life at home. :goodvibes

Got halfway through that last post when they closed the plane doors and I had to turn my phone off.

As I said, no real lows, the construction was kinda ugly but I know they need to do it for progress sake.
Monarch flight, it was cheap and that's all lol. They're not great flights but it was the cheapest I could get so can't massively complain

Highs:
Getting to do loads of new stuff I haven't done before, airboat ride, chip and dale campfire, characters in flight. All fun and something to cross off the list
GKTW. I know I keep going on about this but I really enjoyed my time here. It was a pleasure helping out, and seeing the kids have fun without having to worry about their health issues is priceless. Fave bits were village idol (the whole night), helping the kids ride the horses and seeing the huge smiles on their faces, and helping out at the Xmas party (spent a long time dancing with one of the wish girls, even got her dad up dancing with us, it was so sweet and she had a huge smile on her face the whole time).
Harry potter: what they've done with this area (both parks) is outstanding. The attention to detail is stunning and puts new fantasyland to shame.
Hotel: I had reservations staying offsite on my own and was worried about being there alone but I felt totally safe and didn't have any worries walking around on my own. It was nice being able to walk over to old town in the evenings and it only took me about ten minutes to get to any Disney park.
One good thing about the flight: we got to see the northern lights from the plane :) another thing crossed off the bucket list!

All in all a great holiday and I had an amazing time.

stayed at celebration suites next to Old town in Kissimmee. Stayed there a couple of years ago but this was my first stay there as a solo

Thanks :thumbsup2 About 20 years ago :-)scared1:) we stayed at the Days Inn near Old Town so a bit of a blast from the past.

I enjoyed reading along! Sounds like you had a great trip and well done for all your volunteer work.

It's something I will definitely consider now after reading this.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your trip with us. You are an inspiration to all x

I loved reading your report every day, thank you for taking the time to do it. GKTW is definitely on my to do list one day.

Have really enjoyed reading your trip report. Have thought about a solo trip and you made it sound fun. Thanks for sharing.

Tina

I have just finished reading your report which I reckon is one of the best trip reports I have ever read. Well done cramming so much into one trip. My wife and I spent her birthday (June) in Dixie Landings one year and we thought that was too hot even though we live in southern Spain!! We said we would never go back to Disney world during the summer months again although we would not have been able to do everything you have managed to do at any time of year. Please let everyone know how you get on with the exchange program and well done and thank you again for the enjoyment of sharing your holiday.

best wishes

Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter