Anyone concerned about the Coronavirus in WDW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, I kind of wish our April trip was next week. I am not worried about next week, but a little about how April will be.
This is me. We had talked about scheduling it last week and boy I wish we had! We are going mid May so I’ve really got my fingers crossed that warm weather helps! It will probably be right in the middle of it🙄

Is it Italy cutting off all non-essential travel? The CDC is the one that raised the alert to that level. There is a slight difference there.
Well people in the Italian red zone are in quarantine and blocked in those towns by the army. The rest of northern Italy, like Milan had been advised to delay any unnecessary travel.

If that were the case, there would be no cases in the Southern Hemisphere.
Not exactly. With other diseases, heat/UV/humidity only slows transmission, doesn’t stop it. In the warmer areas in the Southern Hemisphere most cases have been travelers coming back from an infected area with few human to humans transmissions and those have been between people in the same household. Some are hoping this is the case because really, Singapore (hot, not many cases) should look more like South Korea (cold, hundreds of cases). It’s possible Singapore is better at containing so who knows for sure yet.

My 6 year old and I are scheduled to go last week of March (spring break). It's to be our first Mother/Son trip. My MIL lives there, but we are planning on staying on property the last couple of days.
At this point, if we cancel we have to eat the cost of the flight and our Villains tickets. I can bank our points, and we're season ticket holders. We're taking a 'wait and see' approach to it. I have asthma, so upper respiratory illnesses are a real bugger for me and I'm quite concerned.

Regarding air on flights, I stumbled across an article posted yesterday on an aviation site with the following information-
"The International Air Transport Association says that aircraft air conditioning systems are equipped with high-energy particulate air (HEPA) filters that can screen more than 99.9 percent of airborne threats, including microbes and viruses.

Air is refreshed every two to three minutes in the newest planes with about 50 percent of it coming from outside."
Yeah I read this. It was saying you definitely would rather be on a plane than a cruise ship because the air is amazingly filtered on a plane and recirculated on a cruise!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...DQuKO8iA1sLxCKZ6E_lXyPo#.Xlpp5cYYmH0.facebook
A read for those interested in how the 1918 Pandemic got started, and why it was probably worse than it needed to be because information was suppressed. Lots of science in here. I'm sure it's all "fake" news.

ETA: Politicians are not responsible for the this illness. They will, however, be held accountable for the response. And, they should be. I do not think it is wise to OVER-react to this illness, but it sure as heck isn't wise to dismiss it either. With now 4 "community spread" cases in the US, it's here. And, our medical system is simply not equipped (as it wasn't in 1918) to handle the massive numbers of cases that it may generate.

Last edited:
At worst the cruise was 0.85% mortality rate and that's with people being forced to stay in a tight space with no reprieve from the germs I'm sure all over the ship and not getting proper sleep for many reasons.
From what I understand it’s how many people who need medical intervention that’s the major issue. It ranges from 10-20 percent. That’s 100 to 200 people who will need a hospital bed per 1000 infected. And they’ll need a hospital bed away from the already sick and a medical team that can’t go from a Coronavirus patient to a person who’s getting chemo treatments or who just had a heart attack or who is elderly (fatality rate for over 80 is about 15%). That’s why they are trying to slow it down.

Look at total population. Then look at infections..... then... Look at influenza. It’s worse. And kills more. Just saying.
The overall numbers are minuscule.
Every person needs to evaluate their own risk. There is no denying that this virus has a higher death rate. There is no vaccine. I fear the flu less because we have a vaccine and it is far less deadly. My dh has comorbidities of hypertension and asthma. Covid 19 goes after people like him. I evaluate his risk as worse than mine or my kids. My travel decisions will be based on how high I measure risk to him. He protects himself from flu with the vaccine. Making a blanket statement that this is no worse than the flu does not take individual circumstances into account. If a person goes critical with Covid 19, there is a fifty fifty chance of death.

Last edited:
My mom is a retired nurse. She has never been a worrier about any of these pop-up diseases: swine flu, Ebola, etc. but THIS one she is concerned. No she’s not stockpiling food or trying to find masks but she does think something isn’t right, it isn’t “like the flu” and it hasn’t hit full gear yet.

I'd be more concerned about a cruise where they lock you up in your cabin if anyone on the boat get sick. It's not like Disney would lock you on "It's a small world".

I don't believe that was the case, my cousin actually tested positive, even tho she had no real symptoms which was why she was quarantined on one of the ships. There are many dying in other countries and I read that for certain people like the elderly this disease is very dangerous, much worse than the flu. BUT maybe since she did test positive and didn't have bad symptoms at all I am praying that that is how it will be for many if they are otherwise healthy? At least not get to that life threatening dangerous place that it would be for certain immune compromised individuals. But we all need real info. But for immune compromised people, this is considered more lethal.

Every person needs to evaluate their own risk. There is no denying that this virus has a higher death rate. There is no vaccine. I fear the flu less because we have a vaccine and it is far less deadly. My dh has comorbidities of hypertension and asthma. Covid 19 goes after people like him. I evaluate his risk as worse than mine or my kids. My travel decisions will be based on how high I measure risk to him. He protects himself from flu with the vaccine. Making a blanket statement that this is no worse than the flu does not take individual circumstances into account. If a person goes critical with Covid 19, there is a fifty fifty chance of death.

Yes I saw that and they said that to compare that to the morbidity rate of the flu in elderly which would be .1% compared to 15% for Covid 19. It is more dangerous for immune compromised individuals.

Social media sites like this generate such inflated rumors, that the anxiety caused by something like this is far less healthy than any virus. Stick to the CDC website, and remember the serenity prayer: "God grant me the Strength to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference. " Pro tip: this latest media hype is the first one.

Social media sites like this generate such inflated rumors, that the anxiety caused by something like this is far less healthy than any virus. Stick to the CDC website, and remember the serenity prayer: "God grant me the Strength to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the difference. " Pro tip: this latest media hype is the first one.
Lovely prayer.

If someone is feeling especially anxious, your outlined coping tools might be a helpful suggestion.

In general, though, most of us are sharing thoughts and information, much as we do on many subjects here.

If someone is feeling especially anxious, your outlined coping tools might be a helpful suggestion.

In general, though, most of us are sharing thoughts and information, much as we do on many subjects here.
Thoughts and information on WDW is one thing, rumors and unsubstantiated facts on health issues that affect an entire nation are irresponsible and only add to the problem.

I usually don’t get too worked up about this sort of stuff but this is different. I’m watching my friends in the medical field preparing and I am starting to get worried.
How are you friends in the medical field preparing for this?

Thoughts and information on WDW is one thing, rumors and unsubstantiated facts on health issues that affect an entire nation are irresponsible and only add to the problem.

So, don't read the thread.

I don't agree with everyone's thoughts, but am interested in reading other's opinions. And have found some interesting information, like the Smithsonian article posted above.

Princess Cruises has released some travel advice for those cruising:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coronavirus-update.html

Updated February 25, 2020
Guest Travel Guidelines
In an abundance of caution and based on our recent learnings from Diamond Princess, we are encouraging all guests to follow these best practices for travel:

• Pack 14 days of extra medication — In the event of unexpected travel delays and emergencies, please remember to bring additional prescription medication for at least two weeks beyond the length of the cruise. Also bring a list of the names, strengths and dosages of all medications in case refills are required.
  • Provide Emergency Contact — It is critical that each of our guests provides a validated emergency contact & phone number within Cruise Personalizer. The emergency contact should be a personal connection and not be traveling with you.
  • Mobile phone instructions — Guests should enable an international travel plan inclusive of voice and data. Cell phones will not work the same in all countries without an international plan and Wi-Fi is not as available in many countries. An international plan will enable you to stay connected at a reasonable rate and ensure you can be contacted.
  • Purchase travel protection — It's always a good idea and strongly recommended that you purchase Princess Vacation Protection*, or some other form of travel protection, not only to protect from any losses stemming from unforeseeable circumstances during your vacation, but to also have confidence to make new plans with the "cancel for any reason" coverage offered by Princess Vacation Protection.
  • Practice healthy travel habits— According to the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the simplest and most effective way to prevent illness, is to take extra care to practice basic health habits, including:
    • Washing your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds
    • Taking advantage of hand sanitizer wherever it's available
    • Covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing using a tissue or your bent elbow. And always dispose of the used tissue and wash your hands afterwards
    • Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands
    • Avoiding close contact with sick people
  • Be aware of latest health advisories and new travel restrictionsVisit our Notices & Advisories page for our latest health advisories, travel restrictions, and healthy travel tips.
More information about COVID-19 can be found at:

*Princess Vacation Protection is available to residents of the U.S. and Canada (except Quebec and Puerto Rico).

END QUOTE

Regarding air on flights, I stumbled across an article posted yesterday on an aviation site with the following information-
"The International Air Transport Association says that aircraft air conditioning systems are equipped with high-energy particulate air (HEPA) filters that can screen more than 99.9 percent of airborne threats, including microbes and viruses.

Air is refreshed every two to three minutes in the newest planes with about 50 percent of it coming from outside."

Not sure if anyone else has commented on this - but it's an excellent point. The biggest risk is surfaces, not recirculated air. Clean your seat, tray, tv, seatbelt etc... with sanitizing wipes, and sanitize after every trip to the lav etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter