Anyone scared of the characters?

Edited to correct deck location for first photo

THey do some of the M&G in this area at the far end of the shops on deck 3 deck 4 (near the theatre and popcorn area, but not quite that far, though the line will be down past the popcorn area and wrap around to the elevators):

And a daytime shot of deck 4 promenade with the loungers open :-)

Last edited:
Characters don't generally approach children, but rather let the children come to them. However, they might try to interact with adults without advance warning, so your husband will have to run interference for you, if he sees one heading your way.

It's brave of you to do this, for the sake of your children. I hope they both understand and appreciate it. There's nothing funny or humorous about a person's phobias. It truly bothers me when I see people deliberately triggering someone's phobia because they think it's funny.

THey do some of the M&G in this area at the far end of the shops on deck 4 (near the theatre and popcorn area, but not quite that far, though the line will be down past the popcorn area and wrap around to the elevators):

View attachment 423160

And a daytime shot of deck 4 promenade with the loungers open :-)

View attachment 423161
Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed descriptions of where I most likely will encounter the characters! That helps a lot! I keep everything in mind!

Characters don't generally approach children, but rather let the children come to them. However, they might try to interact with adults without advance warning, so your husband will have to run interference for you, if he sees one heading your way.

It's brave of you to do this, for the sake of your children. I hope they both understand and appreciate it. There's nothing funny or humorous about a person's phobias. It truly bothers me when I see people deliberately triggering someone's phobia because they think it's funny.
Good to know! Thanks! Yes, I've had people deliberately trigger my fear at work this past Halloween knowing my issues to try to be funny in front of all of my coworkers. No fun!

I'm just writing to give you support and encouragement! Never be ashamed of the thoughts/feelings/things that give you anxiety! I applaud your for your honesty and trying to seek solutions. 💓 You have no control over those feelings- otherwise, I'm sure you would have "chosen" not to be afraid a long time ago. I do know that exposure therapy is one of the best forms of therapy. So, just try to think of your encounters as therapy and maybe you'll feel like you have a little more control over the situation. Best wishes for a great trip!!

I have the same character phobia. I love them and have always encouraged my daughter to go to meet and greets. But if I feel like they are about to walk near me or I don't know where they are going or coming from, I will move a distance away where I can see everything.
We were on the fantasy for a week this summer and I never had one sneak up on me or randomly run into one.
I even had my picture taken with Daisy during the big meet and greet in the lobby at the end of the cruise.
Be aware of your surroundings but don't let fear run your cruise. 😀
You will have a great time.

To see if you can overcome your fear, I would use the tip one of the other posters gave, to see them as funny. I would go to Youtube and keep watching the thousands of videos there are of the great things about character meets.
Next would be to understand what it is that freaks you out, if it is in appearance or something else. If it's about getting spooked from behind, keep an eye on your navigator to know where and when they are around. If they are going to be at spot x at 10am, then somewhere at 9:59 a door will open. Of course there can be unexpected moments, but such is life and fearing the unexpected can only be avoided by locking up yourself in your cabin.

And to start slow, start with characters that are very unlikely to jump at you. Characters like Chip& Dale, Goofy, Donald, Stitch, are basically big kids jumping all over the place, loving fun and games. Start with gentler characters like Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, who won't do that.

In my experience, I'm not a big fan of fur characters, I'm not good at non-verbal communicaton. Communicating with something that can only gesture and has only 1 expression makes me feel uncomfortable at certain times. 99% of the time the characters sense this. And the 1% of the time they don't, a character meet is over in a few seconds. And for characters passing you on their way to a meet, they are on a schedule. They need to be somewhere at a certain time.

Last thing to keep in mind: Characters have only good intentions, they are not like your co-workers. They are not out to laugh at you.

I would also be wary of Deck 5 near kids clubs on the port side of the ship. The characters make visits to the clubs in that area.

Also on the last night of the cruise before main dining characters will be all over deck 3 through 5 saying hello/goodbye to everybody.

I would also be wary of Deck 5 near kids clubs on the port side of the ship. The characters make visits to the clubs in that area.

Also on the last night of the cruise before main dining characters will be all over deck 3 through 5 saying hello/goodbye to everybody.

Yes, this. On a Magic cruise, I was walking away from the kids club one evening when I heard a voice behind me. Turned around and, suddenly, Merida and I were walking down the hallway together conversing about her brothers. It was one of the most magical moments I've ever had on a Disney cruise, but, if you are afraid of characters, it might not be so magical. I wish you the best! I think it's lovely you are trying to get over your fears and take the cruise with your family!

Here's a picture of Goofy coming out of nowhere to say hi to my son as we were looking down from the balcony. I've had some great experiences randomly running into characters on the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 9

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter