Are our predictions coming true?

DisneyKevin

Kelvis
Super Moderator
Guests are reporting that when booking reservations at the Crystal Palace, they are being told of a $10 per person charge for late cancellations and no shows.

While Cast Members are not yet asking for a credit card hold. the WDW website lists the following for the Crystal Palace:

" A cancellation policy applies and may result in charges if you cancel with insufficient notice. Specific policies related to this facility will be detailed at time of reservation booking."

You can find that page here:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=TheCrystalPalaceDiningPage

I will not be surprised if this is a way or getting the information out there prior to requiring a credit card hold.

Double bookings and no shows are probably costing Disney money and I won't be surprised to see this become more widespread across WDW property...especially at the more popular restaurants.

Hoo Boy....this is going to make the boards EXPLODE if this is widespread across many restaurants.

I just did a reservation for the Crystal Palace on Friday for September and I was not made aware of that policy. Interesting. Though for me now it is a moot point because a few hours later I cancelled the reservation and replaced it with 1900 Park Fare.

I think a credit card hold is perfectly fine. And by credit card hold I mean, they will charge the fee if someone doesn't show up and doesn't cancel within a reasonable time frame. If it stops double reservations that is fine with me. Maybe it won't be so hard to get reservations at the restaurants we want.

Kim

ETA: I just checked the Le Cellier page on the Disney site and the same language is there that is on the other pages.

I don't get it. If they aren't asking for a credit card how would they charge people the $10 if they don't show up? :confused3

I've said before, if Disney is going to start doing this they have to be CONSISTENT, everyone on the same page, with the same information. :lmao:

I bet if you called right now and asked about it, you'd get 10 different answers from 10 different CM's. :rolleyes:

Guests are reporting that when booking reservations at the Crystal Palace, they are being told of a $10 per person charge for late cancellations and no shows.

I think this is only fair to other patrons of WDW. Double bookings and no shows occur far too often at WDW IMHO.

Looks like right now they are laying the groundwork to ease everybody into the new rules. However -- what kind of grace period will they allow if someone shows up late? Sometimes, in spite of the best planning, you just can't make it at your check-in time (we've had this happen due to Disney transportation services). I'm all for anything that eliminates multiple bookings -- but it will certainly be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Kevin,

Thanks for the heads up! I was getting ready to call for our upcoming trip (we snuck one in for September!).

I don't mind giving my credit card to hold the spot b/c we will be there come heck or high water if we get our 8 a.m. spot that I want, I just worry about the widespread panic that is sure to come if this is policy on all character buffets or table service dining options.

However -- what kind of grace period will they allow if someone shows up late?

This could get very interesting. If the "specific terms" terms of the late-cancellation policy are going to be "detailed at the time of booking," I can only imagine that there are going to be problems unless those terms are going to be exactly the same for every diner at every restaurant. Otherwise there is just too much leeway for misunderstandings -- "Let's see, I have to cancel by 3 p.m. the day before at Le Cellier, but can wait until 10 a.m. the day of for Rose and Crown. Or is the other way around? What did they say again?"

Similarly for showing up late. At what point will your card get dinged for a no-show, and will they reverse that charge if you eventually appear?

Seems to me the better way would have been to introduce this with a written late cancellation policy so it's clear to everybody. :confused3

Looks like right now they are laying the groundwork to ease everybody into the new rules. However -- what kind of grace period will they allow if someone shows up late? Sometimes, in spite of the best planning, you just can't make it at your check-in time (we've had this happen due to Disney transportation services). I'm all for anything that eliminates multiple bookings -- but it will certainly be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Exactly. Have they figured this out? Can the CM's taking reservations answer questions?

1. What is the time frame for cancellation and not be charged?
One hour? 15 minutes? Do you just have to cancel, no matter the
time?

2. What if you are late? Are you charged?

ect....

I'm ok with the CC hold, but I want to know the "rules."

Hmmm, high prices for food, you gotta make reservations in order to get a seat, and they are going to charge for cancels/no shows. All the more reason to eat off property. I was surprised when I asked my kids about eating off property and they were all for it.

Maybe Disney will require you to push around your reservations in one of those twin strollers while eating round chicken nuggets?:laughing:

I, for one, hope that they start doing something like a cancellation charge and I'd even be fine with a 'showing up extremely late' charge since both do affect other travel parties. When we made our May ADRs last month nothing was said about there being a canellation fee/charge so I wonder how and when they are going to start doing this. Wonder if it will be all ADRs made from X date and on or all ADRs starting on Y date? Hmmmm....

I'd agree that the "rules" need to be clearly defined, but don't think a credit card hold is an outrageous propsition. They want to actually fill the restaurants, and all of us actually want to get a reservation!

So what do you guys think? Will this really cut down on people booking a ton of reservations? Wouldn't they still do this and just cancel within the timeframe specified for those that they don't feel they'll use (would imagine it would be a day or something..right?)? Bottom line, how does this really help those of us who just want one or two reservations that we'll actually use! :)

Maybe it will be similar to the system they use when you make a spa reservations.
You have to cancel within 4 hours of your appointment or you are charged a $50 fee, if you are a no show you are charged the full price of the schedule service.
Might not be a bad idea, may put a stop to the double/triple bookings people make.

I don't get it. If they aren't asking for a credit card how would they charge people the $10 if they don't show up? :confused3

I've said before, if Disney is going to start doing this they have to be CONSISTENT, everyone on the same page, with the same information. :lmao:

I bet if you called right now and asked about it, you'd get 10 different answers from 10 different CM's. :rolleyes:

I agree with Calypso....I think this is laying the groundwork for a later enforcement.

I also dont believe Disney is looking to get the folks stuck on a bus or those who's kid gets sick at the last minute. I really dont see Disney doing this to "nitpick". I see them doing this so that their ADR system is more effective.

I've explained the story about Spoodles being listed as "sold out" and actually being empty.

While it often takes a while, Disney is pretty good at stopping people from abusing the system. Look at how they police the use of their ticket media.

Let's hope they take this a step further and stop the silliness of making folks jump through hoops to get a table for two.

I think what this will generally cut down on are the folks who book several restaurants for the same ADR time slot. I mean I understand. It is difficult for me to decide what my family is going to be hungry for 6 months in advance, heck we change our menu around the house every day if what I have on the board doesn't sound like it will quench a craving. But, at the same time, there has to be a comeupence if you no show on a reservation that another family would have gladly taken.

I never thought that just getting into table service would be a chore and a half and require a friggin spreadsheet! For proof see below:

The charge for no shows makes a lot of sense. Right now there is no disincentive for people to make multiple reservations to cover all of their potential dining spots. As a result, more reservations are made than can be used. But the ressies are a scarce resource, and once some limit is reached there are no more. That makes it more difficult for people who play by the "rules" of one ressie per dining period to get their ressies.

The no-show fee won't eliminate this practice, since you presumably can still book multiple ressies so long as you cancel before the cancellation charge hits. It will make those double- and triple-dippers think twice about making so many ressies, so it will help in that respect. In addition, you can bet that savvy Dissers who couldn't get the ressies they wanted will be checking back around the time the cancellation charge period kicks in to snap up those released ressies. Just one more trick to add to the "How to Get Ahead at Disney" book . . .

I'm not sure the charge for late arrivals makes as much sense. It seems to me that putting those who are X minutes late (whatever Disney decides X will be) at the end of the line for the next table should be punishment enough. That said, if X is some reasonable period, then I suppose there is no harm in assessing the charge. There are just so many reasons for being late that are beyond the control of the diner that I can see this causing more problems than it solves.

all i can say is....its about time!!!! after all the things i hear about people booking alot of places for the same time. if cali grill dose it all the other popular table service should too....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter