Are our predictions coming true?

I think what this will generally cut down on are the folks who book several restaurants for the same ADR time slot. I mean I understand. It is difficult for me to decide what my family is going to be hungry for 6 months in advance, heck we change our menu around the house every day if what I have on the board doesn't sound like it will quench a craving. But, at the same time, there has to be a comeupence if you no show on a reservation that another family would have gladly taken.

I never thought that just getting into table service would be a chore and a half and require a friggin spreadsheet! For proof see below:

This is the EXACT problem with ADR's being 180 days out. You are now stuck to a plan that should be flexible due to weather and to what everyone in the group wants to do.

This is not a fun vacation, it is more stressful and WAY too much work.

While it often takes a while, Disney is pretty good at stopping people from abusing the system. Look at how they police the use of their ticket media.

Let's hope they take this a step further and stop the silliness of making folks jump through hoops to get a table for two.
Would be good to see them roll this out. As the podcast said would stop the silliness of multiple ADr's :thumbsup2

This is the EXACT problem with ADR's being 180 days out. You are now stuck to a plan that should be flexible due to weather and to what everyone in the group wants to do.

This is not a fun vacation, it is more stressful and WAY too much work.

If they enforce the policy then I bet you'll have a much easier time walking into someplace to eat last minute or even getting and ADR on that day.

I know a couple of the local restaurant owners and managers thru various benefit functions. A number of them are requesting a CC number for a Saturday night reservations. They do it as a result of the increasing number of no-shows. From their side, it makes it very difficult to plan menus and food volume and is simply not fair to the staff who rely on tips. They make their policy known when taking the reservation. Most ask for a cancellation by 4PM and give about a 20 minute grace period (w/o phone call) before they consider it a no-show and charge. I can't blame them and I cannot blame Disney for going this route.

I see you listening to tomorrow's podcast....and then on Wednesday......I see you hearing 5 male and 1 female voice through an electronic device.

Let's see...we all know who the female is. Pete is on vacation. So that leave, John, Kevin, Bob and Corey. Four male voice. Who is the fifth? OMG! Could it be?!?!?!?!?

I know a couple of the local restaurant owners and managers thru various benefit functions. A number of them are requesting a CC number for a Saturday night reservations. They do it as a result of the increasing number of no-shows. From their side, it makes it very difficult to plan menus and food volume and is simply not fair to the staff who rely on tips. They make their policy known when taking the reservation. Most ask for a cancellation by 4PM and give about a 20 minute grace period (w/o phone call) before they consider it a no-show and charge. I can't blame them and I cannot blame Disney for going this route.

Let's see...we all know who the female is. Pete is on vacation. So that leave, John, Kevin, Bob and Corey. Four male voice. Who is the fifth? OMG! Could it be?!?!?!?!?

errr....lets just say he got out of the cistern.

In the FAQ for dining they mention that each restaurant cancellation policy is different and we'll find out when we make a ressie. I'll see tomorrow when I try and make a few for my May trip. I'm glad they're getting tougher but I've seen them try this before and it didn't stick.

I think what this will generally cut down on are the folks who book several restaurants for the same ADR time slot. I mean I understand. It is difficult for me to decide what my family is going to be hungry for 6 months in advance, heck we change our menu around the house every day if what I have on the board doesn't sound like it will quench a craving. But, at the same time, there has to be a comeupence if you no show on a reservation that another family would have gladly taken.

I never thought that just getting into table service would be a chore and a half and require a friggin spreadsheet! For proof see below:

Okay, soooo Pizza Planet just isn't going to work where you have it slotted :rotfl2:

Actually, this is a great tool, one in which I'm sure you'll be getting inquiries about!

Disney can be fairly reasonable, right? :)

I agree that this is a precursor to things to come. We have been late for an ADR before, and I even canceled it a few hours before because I thought we would be late. When we got there an hour past our ADR time, we got in line with the non-ADR people to get a table, and when we got to the podium they said that we could still use the ADR. I was surprised. We were seated immediately.

I know others are not as courteous, but I don't think Disney will penalize you for even one hour late. I bet the late charge would not be given until the end of the day or when the meal time changes (breakfast, lunch, dinner), so if had one for breakfast, it would not be charged until the dinner time. This way they give you time to make it or cancel. It already sounds crazy. :eek:

I think this would be the reason for Disney having a cancellation policy. To make it easier to plan. I'm not sure of their current booking policies right now, but if they over book a restaurant fully expecting no-shows, but everyone comes it makes for very long waits for their guests. Or they could be fully booked and have walk-ups who they turn away thinking they really won't have room for them, but then a bunch of parties don't show up and they really could have allowed those walkups to dine.

I would think the potential $10 charge would be to encourage people to actually cancel a reservation they may have and don't use. Even if it was at your dining time. Say a notice comes across the check-in podiums screen at 5:50 that a 6:00reservation was cancelled. A walkup comes up wanting to eat, they can now say "Yes, we have a spot!" Where as now, there is no reason for someone to actually pickup the phone and cancel, so that 6:00 spot needs to be held because, maybe that party is just running late. KWIM???

Also, you don't have to call in a cancellation, you can walk up to the nearest full service restaurant and they can cancel any place for you. Or you can go to guest services in the park. They can all book reservations for you too.

I know others are not as courteous, but I don't think Disney will penalize you for even one hour late. I bet the late charge would not be given until the end of the day or when the meal time changes (breakfast, lunch, dinner), so if had one for breakfast, it would not be charged until the dinner time. This way they give you time to make it or cancel. It already sounds crazy. :eek:

This was along the lines I was thinking.

The current wording under Liberty Tree Tavern is "a cancellation policy applies and may result in charges if you cancel with insufficient notice. Specific policies related to this facility will be detailed at time of reservation booking." I'm assuming the others restuarants are similar. I think this wording allows for certain policies to be in effect for specific times of year and/or days.

It could also be that they are putting out information on future policy, so when it actually goes into effect, people can't say they were blind sided.

I just made an ADR at Crystal Palace for a guest yesterday. No credit card hold.

I'm getting ready to make my ADRs tomorrow. I'll let you know if they say anything about cancellations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter