August 2020 Reservations-still going?

We are still going unless Disney cancels us or bans Texans! We are going August 29-5. It may be controversial but we are pulling our kids out of school to go. This is our third time rescheduling this trip so I really hope it works out. We are optimistic that masks will be optional by then and that he crowd levels will be so low that this will be a really amazing and memorable trip. We are staying at Old Key West.

I had an interesting thought about this. We are going, but I have almost nothing monetarily at stake; we are staying DVC at BLT, flying JB miles, we already have tickets we bought in Feb so likely getting in any days we want. There are other costs of course; we have to board the dog and there is an Embassy Suites stay in Orlando in each end that is cash. Still, this decision for me is pretty easy - I'm up for the adventure no matter the restrictions. What if things had been different though? What if;
  • I was staying cash stay at say AoA instead of BLT? At this point I would not be committed cash-wise and could back out. With DVC, I think if I don't use the points now, it's going to be pretty difficult to use them in 2021 considering everyone else who has had to push their trips back
  • I was flying on refundable tickets? I'm likely not getting my JB miles back NMW
  • I didn't have tickets already? As of right now, I wouldn't even be able to buy tickets, let alone be assured of getting in to a park.
I dunno - I think under those circumstances I would have backed out. That's a lot of money I could get back right now for a trip that almost guarantees to be pretty uncomfortable in many ways. I do know that my last trip 2 years ago, we hadn't even planned by this point. Can you imagine? That seems like a sort-of, "before 9-11" sort of thing after all that has happened.

I had an interesting thought about this. We are going, but I have almost nothing monetarily at stake; we are staying DVC at BLT, flying JB miles, we already have tickets we bought in Feb so likely getting in any days we want. There are other costs of course; we have to board the dog and there is an Embassy Suites stay in Orlando in each end that is cash. Still, this decision for me is pretty easy - I'm up for the adventure no matter the restrictions. What if things had been different though? What if;
  • I was staying cash stay at say AoA instead of BLT? At this point I would not be committed cash-wise and could back out. With DVC, I think if I don't use the points now, it's going to be pretty difficult to use them in 2021 considering everyone else who has had to push their trips back
  • I was flying on refundable tickets? I'm likely not getting my JB miles back NMW
  • I didn't have tickets already? As of right now, I wouldn't even be able to buy tickets, let alone be assured of getting in to a park.
I dunno - I think under those circumstances I would have backed out. That's a lot of money I could get back right now for a trip that almost guarantees to be pretty uncomfortable in many ways. I do know that my last trip 2 years ago, we hadn't even planned by this point. Can you imagine? That seems like a sort-of, "before 9-11" sort of thing after all that has happened.
I also think that if you don’t go regularly, this may not be a good time to go. We go every year. We don’t usually watch the parades and fireworks so that part isn’t an issue. If there aren’t character meet and greets for my kids that just means more time to ride rides. we are just being optimistic and positive. I think all of your points regarding reasons to consider canceling are really good. Although I am committed cash wise (renting dvc) , but I just think that being at Disney and the resort will be a wonderful break from what we have dealt with the last few months. Looking forward to having a mixed drink by a pool and a beer at the Polite Pig. :)

I also think that if you don’t go regularly, this may not be a good time to go. We go every year. We don’t usually watch the parades and fireworks so that part isn’t an issue. If there aren’t character meet and greets for my kids that just means more time to ride rides. we are just being optimistic and positive. I think all of your points regarding reasons to consider canceling are really good. Although I am committed cash wise (renting dvc) , but I just think that being at Disney and the resort will be a wonderful break from what we have dealt with the last few months. Looking forward to having a mixed drink by a pool and a beer at the Polite Pig. :)
It is hard to disagree with that🍻

After much thought, we decided to cancel our trip in August for my daughter's birthday. This is an adults only trip for us so the cancellation of fireworks, meet and greets, and parades really didn't factor in our decision. The thought of reduced transportation and not being able to hop to resorts made up our mind to just wait until things are a little back to normal. We are already planning next year for the 50th anniversary and will splurge just a little more. I still think those that decide to go will have a magical time. After all, it is the happiest place on earth!

Aug 8th to the 15th here, and so far its still on. What I am waiting for , is to see the attractions that will be open. There was a time that having no fireworks was a cancel-able thing for me but apparently now its not since I am still going🤦‍♀️ . We do have Halloween party tickets and if that is cancelled, it will make me reconsider. Hopefully Disney doesn't cancel on us first. A worry I have, is that not all resorts will open, and there won't be enough room to move everyone.

August 7 thru August 21st, and I guess my answer has to be, as far as I know. I'm waiting to find out how many days out of 14 that I will be allowed to hold park reservations for, which resorts they will put us in, and if a whole bunch more restaurants will be open. I'm not happy about the loss of fireworks, but I can get over it for this trip. If I weren't an APH, I probably would have canceled a bit ago. I did just purchase UO APs since we had a trip planned there in November, and it would already by cheaper to have the passes if we also visit there a couple of days during our Disney trip.

We're booked August 10-13 at BLT. We're in our 30's with no kids, so no parades, meet and greets and character meals aren't a deal breaker (bummed about the fireworks but still not a deal breaker). We booked park passes for April, so we should have first dibs on park reservations. If we don't get them, we're still looking forward to a much needed vacation and a relaxing stay at a badass resort.

P.S. I'm just crossing my fingers for Trader Sams to be open by then.

We had to cancel our March (spring break) and May (long weekend) trips, and are supposed to go Aug 29 - Sept 7 (our kids don’t start school until Sept ). We have are DVC with APs and have 7 nights booked in a Poly studio followed by 2 nights in a BWV studio. Unfortunately, we are in Canada, so even if the border is open by then, I expect there will still be quarantine requirements, which means we will have to cancel AGAIN! 😢. With our points expiring at the end of September, I’ll either have deposit them into RCI or try to rent the confirmed bookings, neither of which seems like a very good option. 😕

We were booked for 8/15-8/23 and we pushed it to next year. This is going to be our last trip for a while. so we want to be able to take full advantage of everything. We were also just there in November, so it's not the end of the world to postpone it for a year.

In the same situation....and yes, boarding the dogs is really my only expense at this point...this trip is on points/miles and tickets were bought in March for a trip that has been bumped four times...I am up for the experience whatever that may be.

Booked 31/7-15/8 at Pop with FD recovery and APs. From Canada and waiting to see what happens. Like many, we sure could use this vacation.... Will likely have to cancel.

Aug 8th to the 15th here, and so far its still on. What I am waiting for , is to see the attractions that will be open. There was a time that having no fireworks was a cancel-able thing for me but apparently now its not since I am still going🤦‍♀️ . We do have Halloween party tickets and if that is cancelled, it will make me reconsider. Hopefully Disney doesn't cancel on us first. A worry I have, is that not all resorts will open, and there won't be enough room to move everyone.
We are booked August 5-12 at CBR. I just read on another post that someone who knows a few people who work at CBR said they were being called back to work July 11th. That’s good news!

Has anyone heard any recent news regarding August? We have a split stay and we have annual passes. Just wondering when they will send us info on making reservations for the parks. We are flying in from out of state and it would suck to get there and not have access to the parks. Disney needs to do a better job letting people know what’s going to happen in advance so that we can plan accordingly, instead of holding our reservations hostage.

Nothing new has been announced yet. We are in the same boat with flying in from out of state first week of August, although we are doing a split stay with Universal.

My take, which is a very unpopular opinion on the boards with all the doom and gloom, is that the reason we aren't hearing much is that resort guests with tickets should be fine with the new reservation system. I just keep running the numbers and I don't see how it will be an issue with the limited number of resorts open and the lack of new reservations/tickets being sold. Add in that the massive amount of cancellations and it doesn't seem like capacity should be an issue for that group of guests, although I understand legally why they don't want to guarantee it. That is why I feel there hasn't been a lot of info yet for those that already have reservations/tickets.

Nothing new has been announced yet. We are in the same boat with flying in from out of state first week of August, although we are doing a split stay with Universal.

My take, which is a very unpopular opinion on the boards, is that the reason we aren't hearing much is that resort guests with tickets should be fine with the new reservation system. I just keep running the numbers and I don't see how it will be an issue with the limited number of resorts open and the lack of new reservations/tickets being sold. Add in that the massive amount of cancellations and it doesn't seem like capacity should be an issue for that group of guests, although I understand legally why they don't want to guarantee it. That is why I feel there hasn't been a lot of info yet for those that already have reservations/tickets.

We are staying at universal for a few days first, then having a long split stay at Disney. We are on the fence right now, deciding if to just pull out of Disney, and get a refund on our annual passses which we haven’t used yet. That would leave us open to buy universal annual passes and extend our universal stay.

We are staying at universal for a few days first, then having a long split stay at Disney. We are on the fence right now, deciding if to just pull out of Disney, and get a refund on our annual passses which we haven’t used yet. That would leave us open to buy universal annual passes and extend our universal stay.

We have DVC and need to use points or we are going to have an issue next year with too many points. Right now, I am getting an AP for Universal for the room discount our first few nights and then the family is doing the promo tickets, but we will probably end up upgrading them as well when there to the AP's if my youngest likes it. If Disney ends up being a complete disaster, we will probably hold onto our Disney tickets and do more at Universal and maybe a day at Seaworld and Aquatica or Volcano Bay while still staying at DVC. I know Disney is a lot bigger and a different beast than Universal, but it really has been eye opening how easy it has been to plan the Universal part of our trip compared to Disney!

Anyone hear anything about POR (or any moderate resorts) yet? Staying at POR 8/21-25 and hoping it's open by then.... although I won't complain about a free upgrade. Also, question- has anyone else going in August not even considered canceling? I feel like I'm the only one who's like "yeah nope I'm going". I'm bummed about no fireworks (my bfs first trip so sad he wont be able to see them) but parades, character dining, meet and greets, etc aren't super important to us as adults. If anything this sounds like it'll be an awesome trip with the reduced capacity!

Anyone hear anything about POR (or any moderate resorts) yet? Staying at POR 8/21-25 and hoping it's open by then.... although I won't complain about a free upgrade. Also, question- has anyone else going in August not even considered canceling? I feel like I'm the only one who's like "yeah nope I'm going". I'm bummed about no fireworks (my bfs first trip so sad he wont be able to see them) but parades, character dining, meet and greets, etc aren't super important to us as adults. If anything this sounds like it'll be an awesome trip with the reduced capacity!

Not sure, but if it’s closed, you may get an email with options to cancel, rebook or keep your dates and be moved to another restort that’s open. I am not sure if there will be any refund or upcharge for if you keep your dates and change resorts. I have called Disney or more details but they said the don’t anything. Hoping someone who knows clarifies.

We never considered cancelling either. None of those items are deal breakers for us having been there many times and my kids really don't care about that stuff anymore. We have a very small window we can vacation in each year due to the kids school/sports schedules and we need to get away and do not want to wait until the end of next summer . We are NOT beach people so even a different type of Disney/Universal vacation is still better than starting at the 4 walls of our house every day since we can't do anything locally either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter