Beach Club or Boardwalk

Beach Club or Boardwalk

• Beach Club

Votes: 74 56.5%
  • Boardwalk

Votes: 57 43.5%

• Total voters
I did a tour pre Covid of BW. I have to agree, they didnt really stand out for me. Unlike VGF or RIV

One thing to keep in mind is room sizes. BWV (even though its my first "love" at Disney; where we honeymooned and been there other times as well) will never compete with VGF or RIV. OKW could possibly contend but has the issues of being very spread out, lacking elevators in buildings, and being a non-bus away from Disney Springs instead of parks.

ResortPodStudio1BR2BRGV
AKV-J365 (5)720 (7)1075 (7)2349 (4)
AKV-K365 (6)807 (4)1173 (4)2201 (6)
BCV356 (8)719 (8)1075 (8)
BLT339 (11)803 (5)1152 (5)2044 (9)
BWV359 (7)712 (10)1071 (9)2142 (7)
CCV338 (12)675 (11)1051 (11)2237 (5)
OKW390 (3)1005 (1)1395 (1)2375 (3)
POLY447 (1)[894] (NR)[894] (NR)
RIV255 (1)423 (2)813 (3)1246 (2)2530 (2)
SSR355 (10)714 (9)1070 (10)2113 (8)
VGF374 (4)844 (2)1232 (3)2800 (1)
VWL356 (9)727 (6)1083 (6)

I guess its just the 20 year contract putting me off a little......
I have run the number several times. It is much cheaper to rent then buy at these 2 resorts. The only reason to buy is to be able to brag about it, like anyone cares where you own.

But who wants to rent when you can buy?
I plan to rent out and sell my BwV when I am ready so I do see money coming back. I definitely see more people renting BWV and would send my adulting (and family) friends there.

The room size chart made my eyes pop open! Very interesting! Can't wait to stay in Riv this year. I wonder if space is what makes people change their minds about it and feel like it's luxurious.

I am both very grateful and proud of my BWV ownership. Will be checking out BC and a few others soon enough to form
my own opinions.

ETA, just cast my vote and it was the tiebreaker 41 to 40. :)

But who wants to rent when you can buy?
I plan to rent out and sell my BwV when I am ready so I do see money coming back. I definitely see more people renting BWV and would send my adulting (and family) friends there.

The room size chart made my eyes pop open! Very interesting! Can't wait to stay in Riv this year. I wonder if space is what makes people change their minds about it and feel like it's luxurious.

I am both very grateful and proud of my BWV ownership. Will be checking out BC and a few others soon enough to form
my own opinions.

ETA, just cast my vote and it was the tiebreaker 41 to 40. :)

The voting is sooooo close

Im tempted BWV. The cost pp and dues are lower........
The 2042 expiration date for me is a deal breaker. Considering that you’re losing 20 years of additional time, neither resort is particularly inexpensive, and the per point price will depreciate in my opinion pretty quickly considering that we’ll be less than 20 years out from losing your entire purchase price in 6 months. I’d wait for Poly2.

I think it comes down to how important the location is to you.
I know there’s a lot of debate about this, but I’m in the camp that the price of both BCV and BWV will plummet the closer we get to 2042. For me, no location advantage is worth enduring that.

That said, I‘m also in the camp that DVC is not an investment, but more a luxury purchase. One of its positive features, though, is that it has a history of either holding its value or rising in price, which of course is great for we owners. I don’t think that’s the case for 2042 resorts, so the increasing diminishment of their resale value needs to be factored into the per point price.

I know there’s a lot of debate about this, but I’m in the camp that the price of both BCV and BWV will plummet the closer we get to 2042. For me, no location advantage is worth enduring that.

That said, I‘m also in the camp that DVC is not an investment, but more a luxury purchase. One of its positive features, though, is that it has a history of either holding its value or rising in price, which of course is great for we owners. I don’t think that’s the case for 2042 resorts, so the increasing diminishment of their resale value needs to be factored into the per point price.
I don’t disagree that the price will come down a lot over the next 20 years. What that trajectory looks like I don't really know, and more importantly when becomes a "steal" is anyone's guess. But if you REALLY want to stay at BC/BWV, let's do a little math (numbers rounded because I'm doing this in my head):

rack rate: insane, so let's not even pretend we are going to pay for a BC villa out of pocket
rented points are $20/pp and increasing
purchase price of resale points is about $160 BC, plus $8/year in dues, which also increase but less than the appreciation of rented points
so for the sake of convenience let's say the effective cost of renting vs. owning is $20-8 or $12/pt.
$160/12 = 13 years, so you still have another 7 years on top of that to enjoy BC, plus intangibles like the ability to book for sure at the 11m mark rather than dealing with the hassle of renting, or fighting with everyone else at 7m.

Bottom line - for us at least - is that we also view this as a luxury purchase rather than an investment. That we might be able to make some money back if we eventually choose to sell is gravy, but we are spending money now for 20-40 more years of Disney memories. Based on the (rough) math above, it is still cheaper to own, even the 2042s resale, versus paying out of pocket for the memories.

We narrowed our choice between these two ourselves. We got a great deal on Beach Club which cinched it for us. We are in ROFR currently.

Beach club generally edges Boardwalk out for us because all the best things about Boardwalk are walkable from Beachclub (restaurants/fun stuff on boardwalk.) The best thing about Beachclub (Stormalong Bay) is not available to folks staying at Boardwalk.

Also we love Epcot and Hollywood Studios is our least favorite park so being closer to Epcot was a small plus.

The roughly $20 per point price difference resale still keeps Boardwalk in the running for us if this contract gets taken by Disney.

I don’t disagree that the price will come down a lot over the next 20 years. What that trajectory looks like I don't really know, and more importantly when becomes a "steal" is anyone's guess.
The board sponsor's awesome chart depreciates linearly, and I just don't see that for BC/BW. I can see them being quite attractive in 10 years. There are plenty of people who would rather buy a 12 year contract with a reasonable point chart than a 50 year albatross with RIV3 point requirements.

I don’t disagree that the price will come down a lot over the next 20 years. What that trajectory looks like I don't really know, and more importantly when becomes a "steal" is anyone's guess. But if you REALLY want to stay at BC/BWV, let's do a little math (numbers rounded because I'm doing this in my head):

rack rate: insane, so let's not even pretend we are going to pay for a BC villa out of pocket
rented points are $20/pp and increasing
purchase price of resale points is about $160 BC, plus $8/year in dues, which also increase but less than the appreciation of rented points
so for the sake of convenience let's say the effective cost of renting vs. owning is $20-8 or $12/pt.
$160/12 = 13 years, so you still have another 7 years on top of that to enjoy BC, plus intangibles like the ability to book for sure at the 11m mark rather than dealing with the hassle of renting, or fighting with everyone else at 7m.

Bottom line - for us at least - is that we also view this as a luxury purchase rather than an investment. That we might be able to make some money back if we eventually choose to sell is gravy, but we are spending money now for 20-40 more years of Disney memories. Based on the (rough) math above, it is still cheaper to own, even the 2042s resale, versus paying out of pocket for the memories.
Agree on all fronts. The way you’re looking at it definitely does make economic sense, and the memories are indeed priceless. But, if you’re crunching the numbers, be sure to consider the economic benefits of an extra 20 years of vacations and priceless memories you’re foregoing with a 2042 expiration date. There’s a price to that as well.
I do love the Epcot area though. I would probably wait for some new DVC construction or expansion in a few years and then buy direct.

The board sponsor's awesome chart depreciates linearly, and I just don't see that for BC/BW. I can see them being quite attractive in 10 years. There are plenty of people who would rather buy a 12 year contract with a reasonable point chart than a 50 year albatross with RIV3 point requirements.
But what about a 40 year contract like CCV with a reasonable point chart? There are plenty of people who would rather have that as well. And what happens if you buy that 12 year contract and want to sell in five years? Not sure you’d have many buyers.

But what about a 40 year contract like CCV with a reasonable point chart? There are plenty of people who would rather have that as well. And what happens if you buy that 12 year contract and want to sell in five years? Not sure you’d have many buyers.
People who buy the 12 year contract do it to run out the clock. It would have been my choice if it were in play. I don't see there being a shortage of buyers for BC/BW in 10 years. I didn't put my money where my mouth is because the pricing has been so crazy. But I don't see that changing because the contract has 12 years.

CCV is a special case with an odd forced point chart. It would be my long term buy right now BTW.

People who buy the 12 year contract do it to run out the clock. It would have been my choice if it were in play. I don't see there being a shortage of buyers for BC/BW in 10 years. I didn't put my money where my mouth is because the pricing has been so crazy. But I don't see that changing because the contract has 12 years.

CCV is a special case with an odd forced point chart. It would be my long term buy right now BTW.
CCV is one of my home resorts and would be my long term buy as well right now if I were in the market for more points. Great point chart, and no real issues with one bedroom availability for owners. Even the point chart for cabins, in comparison to the inferior Poly bungalows, is relatively reasonable.

But you don't have that pool and lazy river at your resort anywhere else in Disney. I would never go to a water park at Disney to enjoy that, but having it at my resort for non-park days is amazing. Spending a day at SAB and grabbing lunch at Beaches and Cream is awesome. We used to do 5 or 6 park days in a week long trip, but when we are staying at BCV we only do three park days so we can have three pool days.
We live for pool days and Typhoon Lagoon! To be fair, we’ve gone to the parks so much, they’re the smaller part of our vacations. My boys loved SAB when younger and now even more as adults. Dining options are the best anywhere on property and have our absolute favorite meal on property (Yachtsman).
I think it speaks volumes when people speculate on a BC2 possibility and how they’d pay any price. Although I love BWV & BCV almost equally, SAB & 11 month booking window make us a BCV family

We narrowed our choice between these two ourselves. We got a great deal on Beach Club which cinched it for us. We are in ROFR currently.

Beach club generally edges Boardwalk out for us because all the best things about Boardwalk are walkable from Beachclub (restaurants/fun stuff on boardwalk.) The best thing about Beachclub (Stormalong Bay) is not available to folks staying at Boardwalk.

Also we love Epcot and Hollywood Studios is our least favorite park so being closer to Epcot was a small plus.

The roughly $20 per point price difference resale still keeps Boardwalk in the running for us if this contract gets taken by Disney.
FYI we made it through ROFR and are now just waiting on the sellers to sign the closing docs.

FYI we made it through ROFR and are now just waiting on the sellers to sign the closing docs.
Woo Hoo!! Congratulations!! I also just recently passed ROFR on more BCV points and completely over the moon! Waited quite awhile to add on, and now have enough points so that we don't have to scrutinize every trip :) Glad to be neighbors :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter