California Grill - dress code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the pleasure of eating there 2 times this past August and saw all kinds of dress, shorts to jeans to suits, so I would not worry about it......

Its Disney man not the Ritz... Its a place of happiness, a place where no one should be judged by their race, religion, sexuality or how you DRESS.

If you making judgements on people maybe Disney World isn't the place for you

Go enjoy your meal be happy because your all there on common ground of the love Disney and the escapism it provides...

If you read the above code. That pretty much OKs park attire. Shirt shorts and tennis shoes. As long as nothing vulgar or such print.
It says dress shorts. while that is open to interpretation the spirit of the rule is that one not come in with running shorts and a tee (our typical park attire).

Also, I think that you cannot overlook the fact that CG is in a Theme Park. It's not like someone drove 20 miles to a specific location and showed up in a t-shirt and shorts. Many of CG patrons are doing so straight from the parks. In Orlando Summer, no one is trying to dress up any more than they have to. Hell, I'd be in Disney shirtless if they'd let me.
But it isn't in a theme park, its in a hotel. The rules for in park signatures are different from hotel signatures for those who want to eat signature in park attire. You can easily change clothes before heading to a destination outside the parks.

Its Disney man not the Ritz... Its a place of happiness, a place where no one should be judged by their race, religion, sexuality or how you DRESS.

If you making judgements on people maybe Disney World isn't the place for you

Go enjoy your meal be happy because your all there on common ground of the love Disney and the escapism it provides...
I am personally not judging anyone. Saying I don't agree with allowing them to break the rules isn't the same a judging someone. Neither is commenting on the proven psychology of dress. It 100% influences how we as humans behave. We don't like to admit it sometimes but its true.

If Disney is going to post a dress code they should enforce it. If they aren't interested in enforcing a dress code, then there shouldn't be one. That way everyone knows what to expect from their experience.

It is all well and good to tell someone to go enjoy their meal. I DON'T enjoy eating a fine dining meal in a loud, chaotic, casual dining environment. That is what Disney signatures are heading more and more towards becoming though as Disney is less and less willing to stop those who feel entitled to do exactly as they please at the expense of others.

It isn't just a tee shirt and flip flops. It's the attitude of "I paid for this, I will do as I please" that often comes with those with no problem showing up that way. We have seen it on DCL as well. One inconsiderate act breeds another, and another. To the point that we got up and left the dining room when they would not stop the children from the table next us from crawling under OUR table. Parent's response was "we paid for this cruise, they can do what they want." It isn't just at Disney, but it seems like Disney is the worst about not confronting bad behavior for fear of making people angry.

Last edited:
But it isn't in a theme park, its in a hotel. The rules for in park signatures are different from hotel signatures for those who want to eat signature in park attire. You can easily change clothes before heading to a destination outside the parks.
This will be my last reply to this...and we can simply agree to disagree....

Now you are just talking semantics....Sure it's technically in a hotel, but it's a theme park restaurant. Secondly, no they aren't different. Go to any hotel signature with V&A maybe being the exception, and you will see plenty of people in simple park attire. Again, I don't think many people pay attention or care.

I'm sorry, but I think I this point you're beating a dead horse...And the issue is clearly you and your opinion and not so much Disney rules not being enforced.

The rules have been posted which clearly allow for park attire. If you have an issue with that then maybe you should choose somewhere else away from Disney that can cater to your specifics wants and needs for dinner. Or dress up in your nice clothes and order room service...Otherwise I don't know what to tell you...

It isn't just a tee shirt and flip flops. It's the attitude of "I paid for this, I will do as I please" that often comes with those with no problem showing up that way. We have seen it on DCL as well. One inconsiderate act breeds another, and another. To the point that we got up and left the dining room when they would not stop the children from the table next us from crawling under OUR table. Parent's response was "we paid for this cruise, they can do what they want." It isn't just at Disney, but it seems like Disney is the worst about not confronting bad behavior for fear of making people angry.

These are 2 different issues. You began talking about something someone wears bothering you. But someone's attire is not entering your personal space in the way a child crawling under the table would. I agree, a child entering my personal space would likely be annoying and I would ask someone to help put a stop to it or move me to another table. This would be regardless of their attire BTW...

Neither is commenting on the proven psychology of dress. It 100% influences how we as humans behave. We don't like to admit it sometimes but its true.

Saying something over and over does not make it true. I can't speak for others, but I can tell you that for myself, I am the same person in a suit and tie that I am in shorts and flip flops. Ask anyone who knows me. I swap between both attires pretty regularly and don't let the clothes on my back determine how I conduct myself or how I treat others. I am who I am...Period. And wehter you want to admit it, not wanting someone to enjoy what you are enjoying, or perhaps even worse, not enjoying what you want to enjoy, because of the clothes someone is wearing is just a waste of the limited time we are here in my opinion.

Last edited:
Saying something over and over does not make it true. I can't speak for others, but I can tell you that for myself, I am the same person in a suit and tie that I am in shorts and flip flops. Ask anyone who knows me. I swap between both attires pretty regularly and don't let the clothes on my back determine how I conduct myself or how I treat others. I am who I am...Period. And wehter you want to admit it, not wanting someone to enjoy what you are enjoying, or perhaps even worse, not enjoying what you want to enjoy, because of the clothes someone is wearing is just a waste of the limited time we are here in my opinion.

Couldn't say it better!

I wear shorts 99.9% of the time, I feel uncomfortable in trousers/jeans...

Didn't stop me graduating, starting a successful multi million pound company...

I'm the same person not matter what I wear and and if people wants to pass judgement I feel sorry for them.

This will be my last reply to this...and we can simply agree to disagree....

Now you are just talking semantics....Sure it's technically in a hotel, but it's a theme park restaurant. Secondly, no they aren't different. Go to any hotel signature with V&A maybe being the exception, and you will see plenty of people in simple park attire. Again, I don't think many people pay attention or care.
There are different dress codes for signatures in the park vs out of the park.
Cali:

Men must wear khakis, slacks or dress shorts and collared shirts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition. Sport coats are optional.

Women must wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses or dress shorts. Jeans may be worn if in good condition.

Not permitted are tank tops, flip-flops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.
Brown Derby:
No longer even listed

Show Less
I'm sorry, but I think I this point you're beating a dead horse...And the issue is clearly you and your opinion and not so much Disney rules not being enforced.
My opinion is that Disney should enforce the rules if they have them.

The rules have been posted which clearly allow for park attire. If you have an issue with that then maybe you should choose somewhere else away from Disney that can cater to your specifics wants and needs for dinner. Or dress up in your nice clothes and order room service...Otherwise I don't know what to tell you...

the rules DON'T allow for park attire, unless you wear dress shorts to the parks.

These are 2 different issues. You began talking about something someone wears bothering you. But someone's attire is not entering your personal space in the way a child crawling under the table would. I agree, a child entering my personal space would likely be annoying and I would ask someone to help put a stop to it or move me to another table. This would be regardless of their attire BTW...

they aren't 2 different issues one feeds the other.

Psychology today article on the psychology of dress. This one is on how your dress effects other's perception of you. It does, everyone is programmed to make these snap judgments. :
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...4/what-your-clothes-might-be-saying-about-you
abstract form a work on how clothing influences behavior of the wearer

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s40691-014-0020-7I could keep going, but i think these are enough. Clothing influences behavior. Science has shown the link.

I could also post research on the sense of entitlement breaking rules without consequences imparts but anyone who has parented knows how that works.

Couldn't say it better!

I wear shorts 99.9% of the time, I feel uncomfortable in trousers/jeans...

Didn't stop me graduating, starting a successful multi million pound company...

I'm the same person not matter what I wear and and if people wants to pass judgement I feel sorry for them.
this is a totally different discussion than the psychology of appropriate dress in a group setting.

It says dress shorts. while that is open to interpretation the spirit of the rule is that one not come in with running shorts and a tee (our typical park attire).
I don’t wish to add fuel, but I wonder if people’s personal definition of park attire (or at least in practice) is more the issue than attire for WDW signature restaurants. There are a lot of people in golf/activewear in the parks that would seem to fit the signature restaurant dress code in letter and spirit. Perhaps those who are in the wear what you wear to park camp are more sneaker, khaki short and long sleeved solid T-shirt types.

For example, my DH owns 1 pair of jeans and no running shorts. The only screen printed T-shirts he wears are Vineyard Vines and family shirts I embroider specifically for WDW vacations. I don't even think he currently owns a pair of flip flops or any sandals. While I do sport same embroidered T-shirts and leggings at times, I always have a cardigan to prepare for cool dining rooms. And trust me, no one wants to see this middle aged chubby lady in running shorts; you are all welcome8-) (PS, I do wear bathing suits with skirts as well!)

I don’t wish to add fuel, but I wonder if people’s personal definition of park attire (or at least in practice) is more the issue than attire for WDW signature restaurants. There are a lot of people in golf/activewear in the parks that would seem to fit the signature restaurant dress code in letter and spirit. Perhaps those who are in the wear what you wear to park camp are more sneaker, khaki short and long sleeved solid T-shirt types.

For example, my DH owns 1 pair of jeans and no running shorts. The only screen printed T-shirts he wears are Vineyard Vines and family shirts I embroider specifically for WDW vacations. I don't even think he currently owns a pair of flip flops or any sandals. While I do sport same embroidered T-shirts and leggings at times, I always have a cardigan to prepare for cool dining rooms. And trust me, no one wants to see this middle aged chubby lady in running shorts; you are all welcome8-) (PS, I do wear bathing suits with skirts as well!)
I do think it makes a difference. If what you wear to the park meets dress code, more power to you but what the poster I was responding to was describing (shorts tee and flip flops) didn't. I cannot imagine wearing dress shorts to the park in the late spring or summer or the state that those shorts would be in by the end of a park day. I would wager that most people aren't wearing pressed chino shorts in the parks in June, July, and August.

I think some has a superiority complex and doesn't like respecting others opinions 😂
I don't think that of anyone here. I think its an interesting discussion. Disagreeing with an opinion isn't the same thing as disrespecting it. I think people lose sight of that. We can discuss opposing viewpoints without it being personal. It shouldn't get personal.

I have eaten at CG many times directly from the parks in park attire...Disney Tee, Shorts and a couple of occasions even in flip flops....No one has ever cared or commented...

Let me just add that if someone seriously has issues eating their meal because I'm not wearing what they think I should be wearing in a Disney park restaurant...They need a kind of help I'm not sure Disney can provide.

If it's a nice dinner with your SO and you guys want to dress up then by all means do so. Usually we are booking CG to see the fireworks and coming straight form the parks. I'm not going back to change for a meal to end the night...To each their own.

My money spends the same in shorts and tee shirts as it does in tuxedos.

Well Disney Dude, I don't really want to see your feet in flip flops while I'm eating at a "nice" restaurant. I don't care about knees, but I don't want to see full on feet.

I'll see if Disney can provide me help though.

Last edited:
I do think it makes a difference. If what you wear to the park meets dress code, more power to you but what the poster I was responding to was describing (shorts tee and flip flops) didn't. I cannot imagine wearing dress shorts to the park in the late spring or summer or the state that those shorts would be in by the end of a park day. I would wager that most people aren't wearing pressed chino shorts in the parks in June, July, and August.
Agreed. Our last 3 trips have been during holiday season, so not peak temps. And I know we are in the minority. We do have to make sure that our 14yo man child does not wear a ratty old football tshirt and slides for days we eat nice and do not have chance to change our clothes.

Well Disney Dude, I don't really want to see your feet in flip flops while I'm eating at a "nice" restaurant. I don't care about knees, but I don't want to see full on feet.

I'll see if Disney can provide me help though.
Again...I’m usually to busy paying attention to my family and food to ever notice someone would be wearing flip flops. I certainly wouldn’t pay it enough attention to bother me. To each their own...

Again...I’m usually to busy paying attention to my family and food to ever notice someone would be wearing flip flops. I certainly wouldn’t pay it enough attention to bother me. To each their own...

Oh well I'm obsessed with staring at other people while out to dinner.

Doesnt bother me really, just would rather not see mens feet in flip flops at a nice restaurant.

Maybe I have a different picture of flip flops in my head.

If it makes you feel better I wear really nice Ralph Lauren flip flops and get a regular pedicure.

Sometimes I even paint my big toe black and put a red Mickey Mouse on it! Why? Because why not? I’m comfortable enough in my skin to rock a painted toe nail... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter