Call your shot (NBA)

It's a catch 22 here. We are Kawhi fans so of course we are routing for the Raptors but we don't want him to re-sign with them if they win

:scratchin ...might be just a regional thing...perhaps you guys just like disliking other parts of the country?

We The North here in Calgary are beside ourselves with excitement. :cheer2: Coverage is heavy in local media, there are viewing parties being advertised in many local bars and Raptors flags/signs are all over cars. One of my staff gave me a Raptors Bic lighter yesterday and I shall cherish it always!

We love nothing better than a good winning bandwagon - heck, we’ll even cheer for the Jets if need be!
;)

No, it’s not just a regional thing. I know you don’t watch TSN, but if you did, you’d see it first hand. If, say, the story was about a team in the UK winning whatever they win, it either won’t lead the show, or if it does, they have to put a Toronto spin on it somehow.

No, it’s not just a regional thing. I know you don’t watch TSN, but if you did, you’d see it first hand. If, say, the story was about a team in the UK winning whatever they win, it either won’t lead the show, or if it does, they have to put a Toronto spin on it somehow.
There's lots of support for the Raptors here in BC too, so I would say that yes, there is Canada wide support for them. Same for the Blue Jays. When the Blue Jays play in Seattle , it's a home game for the Jays, as there are usually more Jays fans than Mariners Fan's. Lineups at the borders. We are however anti LEAFS fans, Maybe because there are other teams in the NHL in Canada, but with the Raptors and Blue Jays, they are "Canada's" team because they are they only one in their league in Canada.
#We The North

Guess what made it under the court the for game 6? https://www.bardown.com/the-lucky-l...ycjUp-T0jmrlZ34Z7a41KsnOEdOIXTNFA1WD93bkuKKKw

This is so true, some nights we sit here and roll our eyes.

After I posted that this morning we received an email at work. Our head office is is in Toronto, Thursday we will (both offices, Mtl and TO), wear Raptor colours, take pictures, and have a catered lunch. We have big posters up. I find it a lot of fun. :) I need fun.

There's lots of support for the Raptors here in BC too, so I would say that yes, there is Canada wide support for them. Same for the Blue Jays. When the Blue Jays play in Seattle , it's a home game for the Jays, as there are usually more Jays fans than Mariners Fan's. Lineups at the borders. We are however anti LEAFS fans, Maybe because there are other teams in the NHL in Canada, but with the Raptors and Blue Jays, they are "Canada's" team because they are they only one in their league in Canada.
#We The North

Guess what made it under the court the for game 6? https://www.bardown.com/the-lucky-l...ycjUp-T0jmrlZ34Z7a41KsnOEdOIXTNFA1WD93bkuKKKw
There would literally be dancing in the streets here if the Blue Jays could ever get it together again to make a pennant run. :banana: My DH and I had our first date on the night the Jays won the series in '93. Or half a date, I guess I should say. I found an excuse to duck out very early to get home and watch the game with my Dad. :laughing:

@kimblebee , you are right - I almost never watch TSN unless it's to see a specific event of some sort so I wouldn't know anything about the vibe of the commentary shows. Truth be told, I'm not a sports fan at all really. I realize there are hometown rivalries; certainly there are between the Flames and Oilers and Stampeders and Eskimos. If we've each got our own team in the hunt of course we'll be rooting for them. If not though, I can't imagine not cheering for whatever Canadian team might be in it.

One exception: My nephew spent 15 years as a head-coach in the WHL. 7 years in Portland, Oregon (Winterhawks), 5 in Calgary (Hitmen) and 3 in Kenniwick, Washington (Tri-City Americans). I rooted for whatever team he was coaching at the time, even when they were playing against our local guys. :cheer2:

Was in California for the entire series. And hate to be online away.

Game one - Was in the air and was refreshing the ESPN ticker the entire flight.

Watched all. Weird to have a game finish at 8:30 pm!

Game six was partying with family/friends (important celebration or I would have been stuck to the tv) and someone came to tell me about the win. Great moment! Watched the game on tape, a tad tipsy at 3am.

I definitely had it wrong.

Here's the thing -

We didn't match up well against the Bucks in the regular season.

But it was impossible to judge our season in general, and to the playoffs as well (And of course doesn't matter - playoffs a different beast anyway)

Kawhi sat every third or fourth game. Never did a back to back. And honestly we won many games without him. And obviously lost games with him (And Gasol was a late acquisition.)

Plus, the ball movement was fantastic on the nights Kawhi sat, in my opinion. And often stagnant on days he played, despite wins.

Am I putting him down?

Hell no. The man's a superstar and a master illusionist.

But the team had to adjust to playing every playoff game with him (such a problem, eh? Insert wink.) And he has learned to feed more often (although I love superstars who know when to take it on their own).

Despite wins I was sad to see some role players disappear against Philly and Magic. But this series was fantastic. This is the team I know!

I suspect Danny Green getting his flow back will also be a game changer, going forward. The man looks worn and like he's lost ten pounds. I also hope Anunoby will be back. But that doesn't look good.

Warriors will be tough, blah blah blah. Hoping for an outstanding series! Can't wait. Game one - my birthday!

I’d be happy to trade Drake to the Warriors so he can keep his tattoos. I’m not a fan.

Please. Now. Get on it.

Last edited:

There would literally be dancing in the streets here if the Blue Jays could ever get it together again to make a pennant run. :banana: My DH and I had our first date on the night the Jays won the series in '93. Or half a date, I guess I should say. I found an excuse to duck out very early to get home and watch the game with my Dad. :laughing:

@kimblebee , you are right - I almost never watch TSN unless it's to see a specific event of some sort so I wouldn't know anything about the vibe of the commentary shows. Truth be told, I'm not a sports fan at all really. I realize there are hometown rivalries; certainly there are between the Flames and Oilers and Stampeders and Eskimos. If we've each got our own team in the hunt of course we'll be rooting for them. If not though, I can't imagine not cheering for whatever Canadian team might be in it.

One exception: My nephew spent 15 years as a head-coach in the WHL. 7 years in Portland, Oregon (Winterhawks), 5 in Calgary (Hitmen) and 3 in Kenniwick, Washington (Tri-City Americans). I rooted for whatever team he was coaching at the time, even when they were playing against our local guys. :cheer2:

It would be cool to see Toronto win, but not because they’re Canada’s team. I won’t watch until the last minute of the first game where someone can win it all.

Curry, and his wife, will be coming back to their stomping ground. She's Canadian. And Curry's father Dell was an early Raptor.

Loved him here and in Charlotte. :thumbsup2

It would be cool to see Toronto win, but not because they’re Canada’s team. I won’t watch until the last minute of the first game where someone can win it all.
:confused: For what other reason then? I couldn't care less about basketball in general but the whole We The North thing really has me going. :cheer2:

:confused: For what other reason then? I couldn't care less about basketball in general but the whole We The North thing really has me going. :cheer2:

It would be cool because it would be their first win, and they’re Canadian. I just don’t buy into the whole ‘everyone has to cheer for them because they’re Canada’s national team’. It’s hard to explain since sports aren’t your thing. Last year, when the Jets were in the Western Conference Final, I didn’t assume everyone had to cheer for them because they’re Canadian.

It would be cool because it would be their first win, and they’re Canadian. I just don’t buy into the whole ‘everyone has to cheer for them because they’re Canada’s national team’. It’s hard to explain since sports aren’t your thing. Last year, when the Jets were in the Western Conference Final, I didn’t assume everyone had to cheer for them because they’re Canadian.
I guess you must be right about the bolded. Everybody I know was rooting for the Jets as far as they went. Then they all jumped on the Golden Knights bandwagon. Just curious - if "your team" gets eliminated, who then do you cheer for and why?

I guess you must be right about the bolded. Everybody I know was rooting for the Jets as far as they went. Then they all jumped on the Golden Knights bandwagon. Just curious - if "your team" gets eliminated, who then do you cheer for and why?

While the Jets were gone (BOO), I cheered for Ottawa and the NY Rangers. Calgary too. I don’t usually cheer for whole teams, it's for players that I like.

League heads today talked to Torontos ownership letting them know th y cant be letting Drake walk all over the place

The Warriors have hired the Ron Arteste security agency for crowd control.

thats good, I still cant believe they ever allowed Ron Artest ever to play again, This should get interesting from what I hear the League asked them move his seat a little further away, or talk to him, and Toronto said are stadium are rules, leave him alone. Then the league has instructed the reffs to give Toronto a T every time he is on floor. I doubt they will but if they do, 4 or 5 points and crutial times in game (when Drake on floor) will cost Toronto the game. i want Toronto to win series but I would like them to loose a game for letting him behave like an 8 year old

thats good, I still cant believe they ever allowed Ron Artest ever to play again, This should get interesting from what I hear the League asked them move his seat a little further away, or talk to him, and Toronto said are stadium are rules, leave him alone. Then the league has instructed the reffs to give Toronto a T every time he is on floor. I doubt they will but if they do, 4 or 5 points and crutial times in game (when Drake on floor) will cost Toronto the game. i want Toronto to win series but I would like them to loose a game for letting him behave like an 8 year old
I know nothing of the NBA in general and this Drake you speak of in specific, but I must admit, your commentary has got me fascinated. :scratchin Off to google...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter