• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Captain EO has died...

The controversy isn't gone, sorry, haha. Enjoy it on youtube and Google Video.

I bet a petition will eventually surface, but people tried that for ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter (wish they had kept that, Stitch sucks) and it didn't work. Disney won't associate with someone who has that much controversy. Just because he's dead doesn't mean the controversy is gone.

The controversy isn't gone, sorry, haha. Enjoy it on youtube and Google Video.

I bet a petition will eventually surface, but people tried that for ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter (wish they had kept that, Stitch sucks) and it didn't work. Disney won't associate with someone who has that much controversy. Just because he's dead doesn't mean the controversy is gone.

Lets not forget the petition to save Mr Toad, or 20000 leagues under the sea...and they were not controversial.MJ may be dead, and regardless of guilt his name is linked with controversy.

A Disney Treasures DVD with footage and movies from departed WDW and DL rides would be nice. And Leonard Maltin could explain to us that Michael Jackson was a very popular and not unattractive entertainer at the time.

Honestly, while "Captain EO" is not a good movie and hasn't aged terribly well, there is nothing in it that feels blatantly offensive in hindsight. While he still is a controversial figure, there is a lot of positive feeling towards Mr Jackson right now. While getting the attraction back in the parks would not be possible in time to capitalize on this and whether or not you think it's appropriate to promote Michael Jackson to kids, it is very dated and I doubt many kids would be into it anyways, I don't see anything wrong with releasing it on DVD for Disney Parks fans and Michael Jackson fans to enjoy - or not enjoy.

Apparently EO stands for Extreme Overdose.

And again, showing a blatant disrespect for the dead... I just hope when I pass, no one makes disgusting jokes at my expense.
:sad2:

That being said, I think they should do a "fan night" where they can bring it back for a few nights. I remember when they changed Captain EO in Disney land to HISTA and I was sooooo bummed.

Doing a tribute night or weekend would be pretty cool, IMO.

Because he passed away doesn't mean the controversy or questions surrounding him are gone.

I don't think that the controversy is gone either, but it sure seems like everyone has forgotten about it. I couldn't even believe it when my sister told me that people were actually killing themselves over this character dying. It's like, come on people. Get a grip.

And again, showing a blatant disrespect for the dead... I just hope when I pass, no one makes disgusting jokes at my expense.
:sad2:

That being said, I think they should do a "fan night" where they can bring it back for a few nights. I remember when they changed Captain EO in Disney land to HISTA and I was sooooo bummed.

Doing a tribute night or weekend would be pretty cool, IMO.

I have nothing but disrespect for Michael Jackson. To me, his death means that no more children can be molested by him. That is a good thing. As far as people making disgusting comments after your death...if you committed crimes against children, then yes, people will, and should, make snide comments. All of the people who do not believe the accusations of child molestation will be believers soon. Now that he is dead, and now that many of his victims are adults, it will come out. Of course, there will be those that blame the victims, just like they did when they first started emerging. As far as Capt. EO goes, I hope they burn it.

I have nothing but disrespect for Michael Jackson. To me, his death means that no more children can be molested by him. That is a good thing. As far as people making disgusting comments after your death...if you committed crimes against children, then yes, people will, and should, make snide comments. All of the people who do not believe the accusations of child molestation will be believers soon. Now that he is dead, and now that many of his victims are adults, it will come out. Of course, there will be those that blame the victims, just like they did when they first started emerging. As far as Capt. EO goes, I hope they burn it.

I hope that you find some compassion in your life. :flower3:I was taught that love is the most important thing in the world, and if that means loving an alleged criminal, then so be it. I feel sorry that you do not see the value in preserving one of Disney's attractions.

Voting for a fan night.

I thought this thread was about Captain EO, the attraction/movie; not Michael Jackson, the person? Did I miss something?

Back to the topic then: The only and only time I saw Captain EO was shortly after it opened, thought it was pretty cool at the time. Compared to today's standards, its probably just average.

I have plenty of compassion in my life for others( heck I am a nurse)...I know he was a very talented person.But he also was a deeply troubled person.Whether those crimes are alleged or not matters NOT.They are an unfortunate part of his legacy. He is still tainted with that brush in death....What makes me laugh is that the same media personalities that ripped the man a few years ago, were pretending to be devastated now....what a farce that is.As for the barrage of the comments.. "he was not proven anything in court...blah blah" .NEWSFLASH- the justice system does not always work. Plenty of guilty people get off, and plenty of innocent don't.I personally don't think he deserves to be honored in the parks.

Well, back to the topic, I think that Captain EO would be a cool limited edition thing to bring back... maybe for a weekend or so.

Because the post was about Captain EO the attraction.

I have plenty of compassion in my life for others( heck I am a nurse)...I know he was a very talented person.But he also was a deeply troubled person.Whether those crimes are alleged or not matters NOT.They are an unfortunate part of his legacy. He is still tainted with that brush in death....What makes me laugh is that the same media personalities that ripped the man a few years ago, were pretending to be devastated now....what a farce that is.As for the barrage of the comments.. "he was not proven anything in court...blah blah" .NEWSFLASH- the justice system does not always work. Plenty of guilty people get off, and plenty of innocent don't.I personally don't think he deserves to be honored in the parks.

My thoughts exactly.

OJ was found "not guilty" as well- but that doesnt mean Id invite him over for dinner. :scared1:

MJ paid off at least one victim (an innocent mans actions?) and his own words make him - at the very least- out of touch when dealing with children. At worst, a pederast. That aside, his final years and death due to drug addiction CERTAINLY dont mesh with MY image of Disney.

Neverland = the complete opposite of WDW in my mind.

No hard feelings for the guy, but NOT someone to be glorified further at WDW IMHO.

I totally agree with everything you said.

My thoughts exactly.

OJ was found "not guilty" as well- but that doesnt mean Id invite him over for dinner. :scared1:

MJ paid off at least one victim (an innocent mans actions?) and his own words make him - at the very least- out of touch when dealing with children. At worst, a pederast. That aside, his final years and death due to drug addiction CERTAINLY dont mesh with MY image of Disney.

Neverland = the complete opposite of WDW in my mind.

No hard feelings for the guy, but NOT someone to be glorified further at WDW IMHO.

Wow, then they'd better find a new sponser/band for Rock N Roller coaster, as Steven Tyler isn't the poster child for a drug free Disney!

Additionally, they might want to consider taking the Wizard of Oz scene out of the Great Movie Ride as Judy Garland had some issue with drugs too, they also led to her death.

Oh but wait, this thread is about Captain EO the attraction, not the man who played the part.

Now that he is gone, the controversy is also gone. Can Disney bring back his 3D movie? We could watch it over and over and we are not particularly fans.

No the controversy is NOT gone. I still would be very upset if they brought back this attraction. Usually I very loosey goosey on things but even a "suspected" child molester should not be having a ride at DISNEY! They can move to Neverland for all I care but I don't want it at any Disney park.

ETA: If they want to bring it back the attraction but have a different person headlining it... perfectly fine with me... make it some Zac Effron or Robert Pattinson thing, I don't care. Just no OJ Simpsons... Michael Jacksons... Ramsey Family...

Wow, then they'd better find a new sponser/band for Rock N Roller coaster, as Steven Tyler isn't the poster child for a drug free Disney!

Additionally, they might want to consider taking the Wizard of Oz scene out of the Great Movie Ride as Judy Garland had some issue with drugs too, they also led to her death.

Oh but wait, this thread is about Captain EO the attraction, not the man who played the part.

My problem with Michael Jackson has nothing to do with his drug addiction. If we were to find out that Steve Tyler and/or Judy Garland were child molesters, I would agree that they should not be honored in any way. Drug addiction is a self inflicted problem. If they were giving drugs to kids, then they should be gone. But, there have been no accusations of that. To me, crimes against children are the most heinous crimes there are. To pay homage to a pedophile is just wrong...I don't care how well he can moondance. If one of my kids were one of the ones molested by Jackson, he would have been dead years ago. Of course, I am not stupid enough, or greedy enough to sell my kid to him, like many of the parents of his victims did. :mad::mad::mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter