CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Costa Victoria is the first of those 6 ships to be retired and dismantled. Makes me wonder if any actual Carnival ships are on the list.

Oh shoot.

Norwegian has just cancelled our October 2021 cruise. At the same time, we lost all the freebies we were supposed to receive (free drink package, free wifi, specialty dining, $ for excursions) so we are disappointed. We’ll receive a 10% future credit that can be applied on a cruise before Dec 31, 2022.

I’m sad.

Oh no, did they give a reason? We're booked on NCL in September 2021.

Oh shoot.

Norwegian has just cancelled our October 2021 cruise. At the same time, we lost all the freebies we were supposed to receive (free drink package, free wifi, specialty dining, $ for excursions) so we are disappointed. We’ll receive a 10% future credit that can be applied on a cruise before Dec 31, 2022.

I’m sad.

They have a current promo with all of those plus free gratuities, not sure how that compares in cost but might be something to compare?

Oh shoot.

I’m sad.

Sorry your cruise was cancelled, but I wouldn't worry too much about losing the freebies. NCL has offered some version of that for years. Sometimes they limit what you can get based on room category, but often (very often) the run "deals" where you can get all of them for most categories. I've even seen them offer all that you received plus OBC, free or reduced airfare, or free 3rd and 4th passenger in the cabin at times.

Offering the "freebies" (we all know they aren't really free :rolleyes: ) is SOP for NCL. Hopefully you can rebook something else using your future credit.

Last edited:
« Fleet redeployment » it looks like most sailings from august to mid-october has been cancelled.

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Our sailing is to Alaska so who knows if it'll be affected. And I wouldn't worry too much about losing your freebies. I received all of them too, including a nice OBC. I imagine NCL will be running those deals quite often, if not constantly, for the foreseeable future.

Alright! We just replaced the cancelled NCL cruise with a Bermuda cruise on the Carnival Magic in 2021! :D (First time on Magic)

On top of that, when I showed a Carnival Magic vlog (review) to my family, everyone said: «OMG, we need to book those Cloud 9 spa cabins!! » so I had to update our bookings less than an hour later.* LOL

As much as we were excited to try NCL and really liked RCCL, we also miss Carnival a lot so we are VERY excited to go back. :)

*Yes, I told them about the mandatory sales pitch at the beginning. Still worth it.

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Our sailing is to Alaska so who knows if it'll be affected. And I wouldn't worry too much about losing your freebies. I received all of them too, including a nice OBC. I imagine NCL will be running those deals quite often, if not constantly, for the foreseeable future.

The thing is we had received some extra perks (because of COVID) for the most basic inside cabin. I'm not sure we'll ever get that back but I'll let them surprise us. ;)

Alright! We just replaced the cancelled NCL cruise with a Bermuda cruise on the Carnival Magic in 2021! :D (First time on Magic)

On top of that, when I showed a Carnival Magic vlog (review) to my family, everyone said: «OMG, we need to book those Cloud 9 spa cabins!! » so I had to update our bookings less than an hour later.* LOL

As much as we were excited to try NCL and really liked RCCL, we also miss Carnival a lot so we are VERY excited to go back. :)

*Yes, I told them about the mandatory sales pitch at the beginning. Still worth it.

Yay, love the Magic! We got married on her in 2017 so I'm a little partial. :goodvibes I was looking at a couple sailings on her as well, there are some good prices to be had. But I'd really like to do Southern Caribbean next so decisions will have to be made! You'll have a great time!

Yay, love the Magic! We got married on her in 2017 so I'm a little partial. :goodvibes I was looking at a couple sailings on her as well, there are some good prices to be had. But I'd really like to do Southern Caribbean next so decisions will have to be made! You'll have a great time!

Magic will be doing Southern's out of Port Canaveral at some point soon I believe. I think only two of the ABC at a time but still could be nice.

The vlogs I’ve seen seem to show that public areas are a bit similar to Carnival Vista... Which is my favorite ship. So excited to go back to Carnival!

AND it has Pig & Anchor! :P

p.s.: A southern is also on my list.

I’d do the 8 night Southern on Horizon if I was you, we did that on Vista and it was awesome, especially Curaçao. I’d do that itinerary again in a heartbeat. With so many days on the ship everyone seemed super relaxed, it was by far our best Carnival cruise.

I’d do the 8 night Southern on Horizon if I was you, we did that on Vista and it was awesome, especially Curaçao. I’d do that itinerary again in a heartbeat. With so many days on the ship everyone seemed super relaxed, it was by far our best Carnival cruise.

That itinerary is definitely on my radar. It looks perfect. We did an 8 day a few years ago and loved the length. It was so nice to know that you had that one extra day to just relax. It's probably been my favorite sailing.

That itinerary is definitely on my radar. It looks perfect. We did an 8 day a few years ago and loved the length. It was so nice to know that you had that one extra day to just relax. It's probably been my favorite sailing.
It kind of spoiled me on 7 night cruises now, they don’t seem long enough. We actually did it as a B2B with the 6 night western, it was awesome being on a ship for two straight weeks.

It kind of spoiled me on 7 night cruises now, they don’t seem long enough. We actually did it as a B2B with the 6 night western, it was awesome being on a ship for two straight weeks.

Since I don't think I'll be able to do my cruises this year, I am planning/hoping to do this in late 2021 or early 2022. I am assuming travel will be relatively back to normal by then! Plus then I can do Jamaica (climbing Dunn's is a bucket list thing for me) and maybe a couple of the ABC's. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter