DAS for blood-clot issues

So, you might be in a somewhat similar situation as I am. I have a condition called POTS and have gotten the DAS before. I have to wear compression socks and I can walk fine and actually walking is best for me. If I got a wheelchair my cardiologist would be upset as it would make my condition worse as it exacerbates deconditioning. The main problem for me is that if I stood in a line that was more than 15 minutes or so, 20 ish max, I black out or full on pass out. People say sit in a wheel chair, but if I did, and didn’t get up an walk around every 25 minutes...I’d black out. (If I sit on the couch at home for too long and forget to get up, I black out every time I get up...it’s fun). So for me, I have to keep moving and can’t sit for too long. It sounds weird, but it’s how my condition works.

When I fly I have to get up and walk around every 20 minutes too

I know blod clot conditions are very similar, where sitting too much is an enemy of your condition, and standing with little motion (like an hour long line can be) in heat can also cause your health problem to be worsened.

Being sedentary, such as being in a wheel chair during your trip could worsen your blood clot condition, so I would just explain that when you apply.

Unfortunately most people just think, well, if you can walk, then you don’t have an issue, or just use a wheelchair, and with some circulatory issues (mine is actually an autonomic nervous disorder) we need to walk, but standing mostly still is pretty dangerous. (Heck I black out at Kroger if I stand still too long reading the labels on an item).

Why not get out of the wheelchair every ten minutes and push it then? You don't have to sit in the wheelchair all the time.

So, you might be in a somewhat similar situation as I am. I have a condition called POTS and have gotten the DAS before. I have to wear compression socks and I can walk fine and actually walking is best for me. If I got a wheelchair my cardiologist would be upset as it would make my condition worse as it exacerbates deconditioning. The main problem for me is that if I stood in a line that was more than 15 minutes or so, 20 ish max, I black out or full on pass out. People say sit in a wheel chair, but if I did, and didn’t get up an walk around every 25 minutes...I’d black out. (If I sit on the couch at home for too long and forget to get up, I black out every time I get up...it’s fun). So for me, I have to keep moving and can’t sit for too long. It sounds weird, but it’s how my condition works.

When I fly I have to get up and walk around every 20 minutes too

I know blod clot conditions are very similar, where sitting too much is an enemy of your condition, and standing with little motion (like an hour long line can be) in heat can also cause your health problem to be worsened.

Being sedentary, such as being in a wheel chair during your trip could worsen your blood clot condition, so I would just explain that when you apply.

Unfortunately most people just think, well, if you can walk, then you don’t have an issue, or just use a wheelchair, and with some circulatory issues (mine is actually an autonomic nervous disorder) we need to walk, but standing mostly still is pretty dangerous. (Heck I black out at Kroger if I stand still too long reading the labels on an item).

I appreciate your understanding. For my DBiL, he doesn’t black out, but it does put him in danger of a blood clot traveling to his lungs or brain, which can be life-threatening.

Why not get out of the wheelchair every ten minutes and push it then? You don't have to sit in the wheelchair all the time.

Why should he be encumbered by a wheelchair that he doesn’t actually need when a DAS could meet his needs? The policy of directing guests to get wheelchairs or ECVs that might not actually be necessary is just adding to the already high congestion in the parks.

You didn't say how long your traveling companion can walk, sit or stand but a DAS does not necessarily prevent someone from a lot of walking or from a fair amount of time standing still. There can be a fairly long wait once you enter the FP line to get on the attraction - sometimes 20 minutes or more especially at the more popular attractions (I'm thinking Soaring and FOP). Many preshows have lengthy wait times as well with no place to sit (Pixar is one). As a result a wheelchair might be a better choice so he has the opportunity to sit and stand. I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't consider a DAS - that is up to the individual - but a DAS does not equate to minimal walking, standing or sitting.

You didn't say how long your traveling companion can walk, sit or stand but a DAS does not necessarily prevent someone from a lot of walking or from a fair amount of time standing still. There can be a fairly long wait once you enter the FP line to get on the attraction - sometimes 20 minutes or more especially at the more popular attractions (I'm thinking Soaring and FOP). Many preshows have lengthy wait times as well with no place to sit (Pixar is one). As a result a wheelchair might be a better choice so he has the opportunity to sit and stand. I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't consider a DAS - that is up to the individual - but a DAS does not equate to minimal walking, standing or sitting.
Exactly. I’m not sure, and the OP hasn’t said, how a DAS would help her BIL, which is what he’ll need to explain if he asks for one.

Why should he be encumbered by a wheelchair that he doesn’t actually need when a DAS could meet his needs? The policy of directing guests to get wheelchairs or ECVs that might not actually be necessary is just adding to the already high congestion in the parks.
This
He can walk fine. He can’t stand or walk for too long, but also can’t sit for too long in order to regulate his circulation.
is why. You say he can't walk long or stand long or sit long. A rollator (or wheelchair he useu like a rollator) offers 100% flexibility.

I think he should check with his doctor and get advice as to how best to handle his condition while at WDW. Typically, walking is the best prevention for blood clots, and can even help dissolve them by increasing the levels of your blood's natural clot busting agent. Even walking in place would work, as long as your muscles are moving and the blood is circulating. For serious medical conditions like blood clotting disorders, a doctor is the best place to get advice for management, especially in unique situations. If his doctor recommends the DAS, then insist he get one. I don't think they are going to risk any ADA violations.

I think he should check with his doctor and get advice as to how best to handle his condition while at WDW. Typically, walking is the best prevention for blood clots, and can even help dissolve them by increasing the levels of your blood's natural clot busting agent. Even walking in place would work, as long as your muscles are moving and the blood is circulating. For serious medical conditions like blood clotting disorders, a doctor is the best place to get advice for management, especially in unique situations. If his doctor recommends the DAS, then insist he get one. I don't think they are going to risk any ADA violations.
They won’t look at a doctors letter. That would be an ADA violation.

You can do this in line very easily you do not need a DAS for this. and the CMat GR cannot read dr note
and most dr do not know what the DAS is or what it is for.

I never said he needed a doctor's letter, I said he needed to have his doctor recommend the best way to handle his condition. If the doctor truly thinks he needs to be able to wait out lines in another area, then the OP can plead the case. And if you plead strong enough, and have an actual need the DAS will help, then the CM will grant it. They might ask for clarification of exactly how the DAS will help, but they can't demand proof and they aren't going to risk violating ADA standards.

If <snip> he needs to be able to wait out lines in another area, then the OP can plead the case.
Not arguing with you. Quoting only what I want to address, leaving the doctor out of it :D THE

OP, et al, consider this: if he were to out lines in another area, how would be be doing it? Walking? Sitting? Standing? The same things he would/could be doing in the lines (well, sitting if he has a mobility device)?

I never said he needed a doctor's letter, I said he needed to have his doctor recommend the best way to handle his condition. If the doctor truly thinks he needs to be able to wait out lines in another area, then the OP can plead the case. And if you plead strong enough, and have an actual need the DAS will help, then the CM will grant it. They might ask for clarification of exactly how the DAS will help, but they can't demand proof and they aren't going to risk violating ADA standards.
Sorry but if you are having to plead your case for the DAS then good chance the Das is not right for you. You can go to GR and tell them your concerns for the line from what I gather the OP has to keep moving some. Well the lines are slow moving with a few stop where the OP could walk in place if the OP can not stand for long time then they need their own place to sit as one might not be available

Like I have said before I just do not see how the DAS can do anything the OP can do in line

Denying a preferred accommodation is not a violation of the ADA.

And it’s not true that having an actua need the DAS could help means that you’ll get one. If there are other accommodations that can meet the need, Disney is well within their legal rights to deny a DAS. They are only required by law to offer a DAS when it’s the ONLY available accommodation that will make the attraction accessible.

Sorry but if you are having to plead your case for the DAS then good chance the Das is not right for you. You can go to GR and tell them your concerns for the line from what I gather the OP has to keep moving some. Well the lines are slow moving with a few stop where the OP could walk in place if the OP can not stand for long time then they need their own place to sit as one might not be available

Like I have said before I just do not see how the DAS can do anything the OP can do in line

We don't know the actual condition of the person referenced or what their specific needs are. I think it is dangerous for us as random internet posters to argue this for the OP. Bottom line, with a condition that could be fatal if mismanaged, they need to discuss the trip with their managing physician and get recommendations.

Denying a preferred accommodation is not a violation of the ADA.

And it’s not true that having an actua need the DAS could help means that you’ll get one. If there are other accommodations that can meet the need, Disney is well within their legal rights to deny a DAS. They are only required by law to offer a DAS when it’s the ONLY available accommodation that will make the attraction accessible.

Disney CM s will grant the DAS if a person can persuade them it is needed. They are not as stingy and militant about it as some of the posters on here seem to be. I don't get why people are so sensitive/proctective over DAS. Everyone's needs are different and it really is between the person, their condition, and the CMs. The CM cannot legally ask for proof, and they are not going to go up against a guest who makes a convincing argument.

My family is going to WDW in the summer, including my DBiL. He has circulation issues, including a high risk of blood clots. Anybody have experience getting DAS with this condition? It is not really a mobility issue. He can walk fine. He can’t stand or walk for too long, but also can’t sit for too long in order to regulate his circulation.
. this is the OP first message the DAS has never been for I can not stand or walk for too long this is a mobility problem a wheelchair or ECV or roller will work for the OP on this then I can not sit for too long a wheelchair or roller would work because you can push it when needing to walk.

We don't know the actual condition of the person referenced or what their specific needs are. I think it is dangerous for us as random internet posters to argue this for the OP. Bottom line, with a condition that could be fatal if mismanaged, they need to discuss the trip with their managing physician and get recommendations.

Disney CM s will grant the DAS if a person can persuade them it is needed. They are not as stingy and militant about it as some of the posters on here seem to be. I don't get why people are so sensitive/proctective over DAS. Everyone's needs are different and it really is between the person, their condition, and the CMs. The CM cannot legally ask for proof, and they are not going to go up against a guest who makes a convincing argument.

I have never had to persuade the CM into giving me the DAS I simply tell the CM my need that has to do with waiting in lines ( and most of the time they cut me off and give me the DAS before I am done)

I know for my self I have had to get out of more lines ( FP ) in recent trip then I have ever in the past. I have had CMtell me that some CM are just giving the DAS to anyone that asks for one because people get so rude to them ( and from your word the person needs to persuade the CM at GR to give them a DAS this can be inteamding ( not sure how to spell this word and and spell check is not helping) to so CM) so yes I do get s little sensitive protective about the DAS because Disney is getting hard for me and others that the only way is with the DAS. maybe you do not have someone in your group that needs the DAS in order to do Disney maybe you have not had to get out of a line and go find a quiet place where you or someone you know has a meltdown that lasted half a day. Yes I am all for the DAS for people that it would be the only way they can do Disney I am not for it for people that could do Disney another way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter