DAS for blood-clot issues

I never said he needed a doctor's letter, I said he needed to have his doctor recommend the best way to handle his condition. If the doctor truly thinks he needs to be able to wait out lines in another area, then the OP can plead the case. And if you plead strong enough, and have an actual need the DAS will help, then the CM will grant it. They might ask for clarification of exactly how the DAS will help, but they can't demand proof and they aren't going to risk violating ADA standards.

"If you plead strong enough" - translates in my brain to "harass and demand until they give in to shut you up" which is how the GAC got out of hand, and seems to be the way the DAS is headed now to.

We don't know the actual condition of the person referenced or what their specific needs are. I think it is dangerous for us as random internet posters to argue this for the OP. Bottom line, with a condition that could be fatal if mismanaged, they need to discuss the trip with their managing physician and get recommendations.

Disney CM s will grant the DAS if a person can persuade them it is needed. They are not as stingy and militant about it as some of the posters on here seem to be. I don't get why people are so sensitive/proctective over DAS. Everyone's needs are different and it really is between the person, their condition, and the CMs. The CM cannot legally ask for proof, and they are not going to go up against a guest who makes a convincing argument.

People are sensitive because others are making a grab for something they do not need because they don't want to use the accommodations they should - which is a personal responsibility to use a mobility device.

I do have someone in my party who uses DAS, it just doesn't bother me if others use it too.

How about when the FP queue gets so long that the DAS doesn't work for your user? Then what?

"If you plead strong enough" - translates in my brain to "harass and demand until they give in to shut you up" which is how the GAC got out of hand, and seems to be the way the DAS is headed now to.

People are sensitive because others are making a grab for something they do not need because they don't want to use the accommodations they should - which is a personal responsibility to use a mobility device.

How about when the FP queue gets so long that the DAS doesn't work for your user? Then what?

They probably just wait in line. Because the DAS is not the only thing that will work for their disabilities, So they can use other things to help with long lines.

I said nothing about being rude or harassing, but you do sometimes have to explain pretty cleary as to how the DAS will help and why you need it. And sometimes the CM doesn't "get" it or need further clarification and you have to ask for a higher up. One can make a persuasive argument without being mean.

IF the FP que becomes too much to handle the DAS system, I trust that disney will update their procedures. As it is now, it is basically just a virtual que.

They are not "making a grab" for anything. They are requesting an accommodation that Disney offers, and if the CM at GR approves their request, it's not for any of us to judge.

I said nothing about being rude or harassing, but you do sometimes have to explain pretty cleary as to how the DAS will help and why you need it. And sometimes the CM doesn't "get" it or need further clarification and you have to ask for a higher up. One can make a persuasive argument without being mean.

IF the FP que becomes too much to handle the DAS system, I trust that disney will update their procedures. As it is now, it is basically just a virtual que.

I guess we have different definitions of 'plead strong' then.

They are not "making a grab" for anything. They are requesting an accommodation that Disney offers, and if the CM at GR approves their request, it's not for any of us to judge.

An accommodation that Disney offers for a specific need, not because people prefer it over a more appropriate accommodation.

An accommodation that Disney offers for a specific need, not because people prefer it over a more appropriate accommodation.

this. no one is entitled to their preferred accommodation, just an accommodation. and Disney is well within their rights to set limits on accommodations of any sort.

Yes we do not even get to chose our accommodations out in the real world.

I have a learning disability and a vision problem that made driving in traffic/ parking lots harder for me. when I was in college and I had to drive around for 30+ minutes looking for a spot by the time I found one I was melting down ( try going to class and learning anything just after a meltdown) well handicap spot were always opened I have no physical needs for one but I can Guarantee Having a spot and not having to drive around would have help me so much but if they gave out handicap spot to people with learning disabilities then people that really needed them might not have them when they needed them. I was able to accommodate my self by getting to school before 7:30am even when I had a 3 pm class yes it sucked but it was what I needed to do.

I feel the DAS is the same way yes it could help people but for some it is the only accommodation ( like wheelchair user that have to have the handicap cap spot to get in or out of there cars) and then their are those that could use the DAS but have other things they can do that are less desirable then using the DAS like the op can walk in place while in line they can get a wheelchair and push it if they need to sit every 30 or how ever minute minutes. Just like I had to get to school before 7:30 even when I had a 3 pm class. It was an accommodation that meet my need was it one I like ( h—- no) was it one I used for the 8+ years I was on underground yep

So for those that say we need to let people decide what is best yes people do need to decided what is best but sometime you also need to look at the whole picture and it just your self becuse for me having a handicap spot ( and they were always thier I had to walk right pass the lot on my way to class) would have been the best thing for me but it was not the best for others.

Yes we do not even get to chose our accommodations out in the real world.

I have a learning disability and a vision problem that made driving in traffic/ parking lots harder for me. when I was in college and I had to drive around for 30+ minutes looking for a spot by the time I found one I was melting down ( try going to class and learning anything just after a meltdown) well handicap spot were always opened I have no physical needs for one but I can Guarantee Having a spot and not having to drive around would have help me so much but if they gave out handicap spot to people with learning disabilities then people that really needed them might not have them when they needed them. I was able to accommodate my self by getting to school before 7:30am even when I had a 3 pm class yes it sucked but it was what I needed to do.

I feel the DAS is the same way yes it could help people but for some it is the only accommodation ( like wheelchair user that have to have the handicap cap spot to get in or out of there cars) and then their are those that could use the DAS but have other things they can do that are less desirable then using the DAS like the op can walk in place while in line they can get a wheelchair and push it if they need to sit every 30 or how ever minute minutes. Just like I had to get to school before 7:30 even when I had a 3 pm class. It was an accommodation that meet my need was it one I like ( h—- no) was it one I used for the 8+ years I was on underground yep

So for those that say we need to let people decide what is best yes people do need to decided what is best but sometime you also need to look at the whole picture and it just your self becuse for me having a handicap spot ( and they were always thier I had to walk right pass the lot on my way to class) would have been the best thing for me but it was not the best for others.

Respectfully gap, it's really not the same thing as your analogy. If you took a parking spot, someone with a handicap tag would not be able to park there. With the DAS, it's not taking away from anybody else. Not as if you wouldn't be able to get a DAS because they did.

Again, I fall back on the fact that Disney offers this accommodation, and if the OP (or her BIL) feel that it will meet their needs better than a wheelchair, they have every right to request one be issued. It may or may not be issued and then the OP will have to weigh their options. In reading the OP posts, it really doesn't sound like a mobility issue to me. Sounds like her BIL needs to keep moving about due to circulation problems. This could be accomplished by waiting outside the lines with a DAS. I don't see how it would be accomplished with a wheelchair.

Just my take on it, that's all.

Again, I fall back on the fact that Disney offers this accommodation, and if the OP (or her BIL) feel that it will meet their needs better than a wheelchair, they have every right to request one be issued. It may or may not be issued and then the OP will have to weigh their options. In reading the OP posts, it really doesn't sound like a mobility issue to me. Sounds like her BIL needs to keep moving about due to circulation problems. This could be accomplished by waiting outside the lines with a DAS. I don't see how it would be accomplished with a wheelchair.
Correct, he has every right to request one when explaining why he can't wait in the regular lines.

I'm still not clear on what he would be doing it it's granted and they can wait outside the lines. Will he be walking? Standing? Sitting? A combination of actions? Walking (including pacing, lightly stomping, etc.) and standing can be performed in pretty much any queue. Add in a rollator of wheelchair, and the guest can do anything in line that they can do in a virtual queue. Well, except lie down, or eat, or drink, or visit one or more other attractions....

Respectfully gap, it's really not the same thing as your analogy. If you took a parking spot, someone with a handicap tag would not be able to park there. With the DAS, it's not taking away from anybody else. Not as if you wouldn't be able to get a DAS because they did.

Just my take on it, that's all.
It dose take away with the DAS too when people can be accompanied in other ways but then get the DAS use the DAS to enter the FP then the people theT the DAS is their only accommodation have to lave the FP line even before the second tap point. Yes it dose hurt us. But for those that can be accommodate other ways I can see how you will not see it as hurting others

Correct, he has every right to request one when explaining why he can't wait in the regular lines.

I'm still not clear on what he would be doing it it's granted and they can wait outside the lines. Will he be walking? Standing? Sitting? A combination of actions? Walking (including pacing, lightly stomping, etc.) and standing can be performed in pretty much any queue. Add in a rollator of wheelchair, and the guest can do anything in line that they can do in a virtual queue. Well, except lie down, or eat, or drink, or visit one or more other attractions....

you can eat and drink in line ( I eat fast and I have had full sandwiches in line ( FP). I also have had a snack in most lines as when I get overstimulated I tent to eat more) also much easier to drink

I see nowhere the OP has to lie down so this is a great question on what they would be doing outside the line they could not do inside the line. Sorry I just do not see why a DAS would be the only accommodation and why the OP could not do something like walk in place do side steps do high knee steps and so on depending on how hight they need their heart rate up would depend on what they need to do.

I am guessing a combination of all of the above - including eating, drinking and visiting other attractions. Maybe the limited activity you're able to accomplish in line is not enough? But, to be honest, I really don't know. The OP seems to have checked out of this thread, so any further clarification seems unlikely at this point.

Sorry I just do not see why a DAS would be the only accommodation

I don't know that it would be the only accommodation, that's up to GR to decide. But it's the accommodation that the OP feels will best fit their needs. Based on the limited info given, I personally don't see how a wheelchair would be a reasonable accommodation in this case. As I said in my last post, maybe the limited amount of activity that can be accomplished in line would not be enough. I just don't know.

I am guessing a combination of all of the above - including eating, drinking and visiting other attractions. Maybe the limited activity you're able to accomplish in line is not enough?
Thing is, the DAS isn't intended to enable that party to do more than someone without one. I see gap2368 sometimes eats or drinks in line (as far as I know that's allowed prior to entering an actual building) but you can't get food in line.
Based on the limited info given, I personally don't see how a wheelchair would be a reasonable accommodation in this case.
It would give the guest the flexibility to engage in the needed action.

Thing is, the DAS isn't intended to enable that party to do more than someone without one. I see gap2368 sometimes eats or drinks in line (as far as I know that's allowed prior to entering an actual building) but you can't get food in line.

It would give the guest the flexibility to engage in the needed action.

In all fairness, I don't think the OP was inquiring about it so they could get more done than someone without one. I think she feels there is a true need. But, I agree that is not the intent of the DAS. I have seen posts where people say they can only be in the park for x amount of hours, so want the DAS to be able to accomplish more.

I don't know where all this talk of eating in line came into it. I don't think the OP mentioned anything about that.

If the BIL can only sit for short periods of time, the wheelchair would only meet a small part of his needs.

But we will have to agree to disagree. And thank you for the thoughtful and considerate answers in explaining your take on it.

I am guessing a combination of all of the above - including eating, drinking and visiting other attractions. Maybe the limited activity you're able to accomplish in line is not enough? But, to be honest, I really don't know. The OP seems to have checked out of this thread, so any further clarification seems unlikely at this point.

Based on what the OP claims he needs, if he’s doing anything other than walking around to keep his circulation going, then he doesn’t need the DAS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter