DAS for blood-clot issues

To clarify...

The DAS allows a person to wait outside the queue. That is the primary intention and accommodation, for people who cannot in any other fashion utilize the queue. It is not meant to allow more to be done in shorter time, though depending on the individual’s specific needs that is a possible byproduct.

Most “mobility” or “stamina” issues involve the need to change position fairly frequently - be that walking or sitting. A mobility allows one to change position as often and whenever needed. It allows the individual to 1) stand, 2) pace, or 3) sit. Without a mobility device, nobody is guaranteed a place to sit anywhere. So if a person cannot handle standing and walking/pacing/stamping, a DAS does not provide for a place to sit; hence the recommendation to use a wheelchair or other mobility device.

WDW has to balance the needs of those with disabilities as well as the experience for ALL guests. That can be a challenging situation and involves considering the dynamics of the park’s operations. What may seem like 1 individual preferring a specific accommodation, in fact is several hundred. As proven with the old GAC program, overwhelming the FP queue with DAS users will impact all guests wanting to do/see/ride an attraction. Look how quickly standby queues move when the FP queue isn’t in use - EMH, park closing, parties, etc. “It’s just 1 person and s/he has a preference” really does impact park operations.

If the BIL can only sit for short periods of time, the wheelchair would only meet a small part of his needs.
While I do understand your point, a wheelchair - or even better, a rollator - would allow the guest to engage in all necessary actions all the time while in the regular or FastPass-accessed FP line, without needing a DAS.

Unfortunately I think a lot more people are going to request a DAS once Smugglers Run opens especially if you don’t have to wait in the land.

Unfortunately I think a lot more people are going to request a DAS once Smugglers Run opens especially if you don’t have to wait in the land.
Yes and this is scarring the stuff out of me. I really hope Disney ask why you need the DAS even if you already have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter