• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Oh, and the icing on the cake was my minivan that went in the shop today for regular maintenance, just got a call that the brakes are ceased, rotors are gone, cabin air filter is dirty. Nothing that $1000 won't fix. I have no clue about car repair, so I just give them my money and tell them to make the problem go away.

Well, crud. Sorry to hear that. Brakes are kind of underrated, though.

DONE! That's it, for the year. (cue exploding fireworks)

In the past, including last year, this is the busiest time of the year for fundraisers and it really hindered my celebration of Christmas and New Years. First time in 25 years I don't have to worry about making revenue targets and it feels good. Too old for that carp anymore.

In fact, I am thinking about giving up the game entirely. Maybe get a part time job to pay for trips to Disney and if it pays enough perhaps a visit the UK in the summer (UK is a long shot though). Have to think about it over the holidays and DDC.

I don't mean this as gloating so please don't take it that way. I am just really content right now and am enjoying it.

Glad to hear it! Hope it was a good year. And I totally get the line of thinking...after doing something for that long, it's not hard to wonder about doing something else for a change.

Hello gents! 24th wedding anniversary today

Happy anniversary!

I made it a great weekend by backing up DWs car out of the garage with the reart hatch in the open position.

D'oh. Whatever you do, don't have Jeff's mechanic look at it. You'll be getting a new air filter for your garage.

Work today. Christmas.... excuse me, Winter concert with DD16 this evening.

Happy Generic Winter Holiday!

tenor.gif

laughing hysterically gif.gif

Gotta be inclusive, ya know.

Whatever.

We don't get too much correcting in my part of KY. But, i think we also have a travel ban on liberals, so that may be why. :lmao: KY is near the top with the highest population % of people on welfare, but voted Trump because they didn't want their $10 million estates taxed at death. :sad2:

Well, crud. Sorry to hear that. Brakes are kind of underrated, though
!

Just cut out the floor board and stop Flintstone style! :lmao:

Morning all…
Busy the last few days. Traveled up to the mountains to see the young’en perform several pieces in universities “Sounds of the Season” concert (the various performances had me in tears – maybe only – about seven times or so; they must be slipping a bit). Long day; lots of driving; totally worth it.

Going to see a very different concert this evening. The Brian Setzer Orchestra is in town tonight and a chance to see a picker that good, accompanied by a full swing band plus a show that will be heavy on seasonal tunes was just too good to pass up.

Short weekend trip.
Well, that beat my two pair.
<<envy>>

I want and paid my county property taxes. I got $30 off for paying three weeks early - better than interest I'll get on my bank savings account in that time frame.
A good argument for paying it early.
Ours is handled via an escrow built into the mortgage and while there’s a late fee, I don’t think the county offers up any advantage for paying it early or I’d be considering the same course of action.

DONE! That's it, for the year. (cue exploding fireworks)
Congrats on that…
I’d join you in walking away if I could.

In fact, I am thinking about giving up the game entirely.
Lot to think about.
May you find the right balance.

I’d consider such, but realistically…
I don’t think any kind of retirement is even an option anymore.

Hello gents! 24th wedding anniversary today
Congratulations!
Hope y’all had a great day and may you see many more years ahead of you.

I made it a great weekend by backing up DWs car out of the garage with the reart hatch in the open position. That's right crunch! Why did I back up with the hatch open you ask, because I did not know it was open. We were at inlaws helping them with decorations and DW needed some stuff so I headed down the street, pulled into garage, left car running, grabbed stuff we needed and proceeded to back out when the crunch noise occurred. No idea how the electronic hatch opened other than we had that problem back in April (unlatching while driving down the road) and I had to pay over $500 for the communication board to be replaced. Gonna be a fight I'm sure and will likely just get stuck with running it through insurance. Have a good week.
Well that wasn’t much of a present…
Hopefully it won’t be too hard to get sorted out (or too expensive)
Sometimes, the abundance of gadgets manufacturers have added to their vehicles can be more of a hindrance then a convenience.

No! She's tricky.
"So which song did you like the best? Why?"

Forces me to pay attention.
Totally unfair.
Kids will do that.
Luckily for me, concerts don’t put me to sleep.
Movies have been known to do that, but music… generally not.

And doing it yourself (replacing it, I mean) will cost a fraction of what you'll be charged. Instructions are in the owner's manual and not hard.
Don’t have to worry about cabin filters on my 19 and 20 year old vehicles.
The builders hadn’t realized what a necessity those would be yet.

The 14 year old car does have one though and you have to drop the glove box out of the dash to get to it. The upside is that it's not all that tough a procedure. Haven’t looked at the cabin filters on the five year old one yet but I probably need to figure out where they hid that one sometime in the near.

oil change now for the Tumbler. Have to keep it running for dd next month when she turns 16.
Yep…
Our boy “inherited” one of our older vehicles when he turned 17. It made getting him to all the various after school rehearsals and functions a good bit easier and got him through the first part of college as well. Funny thing is, we decided that he needed something a bit better this past year given the distance he travels and that car has now reverted back to being my daily driver. Good thing it’s dang near indestructible and that I still enjoy driving it.

More so then the van, anyway.

Why can't you call it a Christmas concert?
Gotta be inclusive, ya know.

Whatever.
They use the same nomenclature down here.
Well, generally there’s a Winter concert and a Spring Concert each school year with neither one being specifically associated with any one particular observance. That was true when I was in school waaaaaay back when, as well. It’s also true (here at least) that not all the pieces performed during the various winter concerts are necessarily or specifically “Christmas” music, so it makes as much sense as not.

Ouch. But.... brakes ceased? You didn't notice that when you tried to drive it?
If the brakes are seized, wouldn't that mean you couldn't drive it? Or maybe a case of the calipers not releasing the way they should. I'm not a mechanic (DS is), but that sounds kinda wonky.
Not the brakes themselves I guess, didn't really notice much when driving. Calipers sounds more like it. Or was it boots seized? Something involving the brakes was seized and had to be greased. $200+ in labour for that alone. Don't know, when the garage calls I just kind of glaze over and see dollar signs floating around.

Instructions are in the owner's manual and not hard.
Owner's manual? Oh, that thing the salesman told me to look at when I bought the car and it's slowly been buried in the glove compartment over the years? For me to do anything mechanical...cheaper yes, practical no. But my mechanical knowledge and ability stops after "insert key and turn".

Hello gents! 24th wedding anniversary today I made it a great weekend by backing up DWs car out of the garage with the reart hatch in the open position. That's right crunch!
Congrats on the anniversary (I'm only half way there!). Too bad to hear about the hatch. I guess it's one of those things that kind of has to be repaired. Last year DW scraped the front bumper of our minivan, would have cost $1300 to replace, I didn't bother.

Christmas.... excuse me, Winter concert with DD16 this evening. Work tonight/tomorrow morning.
Gonna be a long one.
Hmm...they haven't gone to "all-inclusive" labels here yet but I expect it's only a matter of time.

D'oh. Whatever you do, don't have Jeff's mechanic look at it. You'll be getting a new air filter for your garage.
:rotfl2:

Is it next week yet? One more week closer to one last week before a solid 11 days straight off of work to enjoy the holidays. Anything you guys can do to push this week along is much appreciated.
1. Congrats on 24 years.
2. Ouch. That sucks, but.... hoping you can get that taken care of.... at their expense.
Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs. Sorry to hear about the vehicle.
Well that wasn’t much of a present…
Hopefully it won’t be too hard to get sorted out (or too expensive)
Sometimes, the abundance of gadgets manufacturers have added to their vehicles can be more of a hindrance then a convenience.
Thanks gentlemen.... er, uh thanks you guys
Morning gents.
Work today. Christmas.... excuse me, Winter concert with DD16 this evening. Work tonight/tomorrow morning.
Gonna be a long one.
There they go with the political correctness of the Christmas season :confused3
Happy Tuesday. Orthodontist with both dds and oil change now for the Tumbler. Have to keep it running for dd next month when she turns 16.

ADRs made for June trip. I'm ready to go now.
Almost congrats to DD on being able to take over the chauffeur duties some and congrats on the ADR's. Friday is our 7 month window so booking for our July trip.
Morning all…
Busy the last few days. Traveled up to the mountains to see the young’en perform several pieces in universities “Sounds of the Season” concert (the various performances had me in tears – maybe only – about seven times or so; they must be slipping a bit). Long day; lots of driving; totally worth it.

Going to see a very different concert this evening. The Brian Setzer Orchestra is in town tonight and a chance to see a picker that good, accompanied by a full swing band plus a show that will be heavy on seasonal tunes was just too good to pass up.
Glad you got to go hear DS in concert one more time. Will he be playing in anything else during the spring semester that you can go to it or was this it?
Congrats on the anniversary (I'm only half way there!). Too bad to hear about the hatch. I guess it's one of those things that kind of has to be repaired. Last year DW scraped the front bumper of our minivan, would have cost $1300 to replace, I didn't bother.
Gotta fix this one, the hatch wont close all the way, need the Hulk to be able to manually lift it open and it just looks like butt:
SRX Hatch Damage.jpg

But, i think we also have a travel ban on liberals, so that may be why. :lmao:

:laughing:

Sounds pretty darned good.

The Brian Setzer Orchestra is in town tonight

No way!! I didn't know he was even performing/touring!

Luckily for me, concerts don’t put me to sleep.
Movies have been known to do that, but music… generally not.

They don't put me to sleep either. I actually enjoy them. Just... the timing on this one could be a tad better.

Don’t have to worry about cabin filters on my 19 and 20 year old vehicles.
The builders hadn’t realized what a necessity those would be yet.

::yes::

The 14 year old car does have one though and you have to drop the glove box out of the dash to get to it.

Don't know, when the garage calls I just kind of glaze over and see dollar signs floating around.

Yeah, I hear you.
Just.... if they tell you you need a new carburator.... run. Your car doesn't have one.

Owner's manual? Oh, that thing the salesman told me to look at when I bought the car and it's slowly been buried in the glove compartment over the years? For me to do anything mechanical...cheaper yes, practical no. But my mechanical knowledge and ability stops after "insert key and turn".

Dig it out. You'd be surprised how easy it is to change it on your own. Almost certainly won't even need a tool.

Hmm...they haven't gone to "all-inclusive" labels here yet but I expect it's only a matter of time.

yup

There they go with the political correctness of the Christmas season :confused3

Well... you want to make sure the 3 kids who don't celebrate Christmas aren't offended. The other 397 just have to make do.

Gotta fix this one, the hatch wont close all the way, need the Hulk to be able to manually lift it open and it just looks like butt:
srx-hatch-damage-jpg.286964

Hulk lift? It looks more like Hulk smash!

Not the brakes themselves I guess, didn't really notice much when driving. Calipers sounds more like it. Or was it boots seized? Something involving the brakes was seized and had to be greased. $200+ in labour for that alone. Don't know, when the garage calls I just kind of glaze over and see dollar signs floating around.
Sounds like maybe the slides for the calipers, but greasing those shouldn't take that long. So they charge $200/hour? :sad2:

Sounds like maybe the slides for the calipers, but greasing those shouldn't take that long. So they charge $200/hour? :sad2:
It's to be expected after 10 years of school to become a neurosurgeon.

That's what we're talking about, isn't it?

Day 1 of Christmas vacation and all is well. Only two emails over yesterday's call and they were quickly dispatched. Going over the can I or can't I.

Hello gents! 24th wedding anniversary today I made it a great weekend by backing up DWs car out of the garage with the reart hatch in the open position.

Congrats on the anniversary and really sorry about the car.

You got that one way wrong!

I sure did. The Phins played well and I actually enjoyed watching it.

Tough decision. Hoping you come up with the one that works best for you.

It is getting easier and easier to say chuck it.

Morning gents.
Work today. Christmas.... excuse me, Winter concert with DD16 this evening. Work tonight/tomorrow morning.
Gonna be a long one.

Good luck, you have our full confidence.

I don't consider it as gloating and I'm kinda in that same boat...
I'm not independently wealthy, but I've run the numbers and if I get a part time something at Disney, I could semi-retire. I can't say about your rat race, but the IT rat race has gotten pretty ratty.

Neither do I but there comes a time when you say chuck it. Being a professional bigger is not the easiest thing to do as I am sure IT is. I'll need something to do or will probably go nuts and the added cash would be good. I have no debt so expenses are low. My biggest expense is health insurance.

Happy Tuesday. Orthodontist with both dds and oil change now for the Tumbler. Have to keep it running for dd next month when she turns 16.

ADRs made for June trip. I'm ready to go now.

Congrats on the ADRs and good luck when DD starts to drive.

That is kind of cool. Always nice to see your kids preform in whatever endeavor they do.

In the same boat. I can change tires jump start a car but when I get a rental I need to check out the manual to see how to open the gas tank.

Saw that it was his birthday. The world would be a very different place if he wasn't born.

Hulk lift? It looks more like Hulk smash!

Ouch. Hulk smash is right.

Last edited:
It is the 5th, ain't it?
Thanks for the reminder.

Glad you got to go hear DS in concert one more time. Will he be playing in anything else during the spring semester that you can go to it or was this it?
They do public performances fairly regular, but more often then not, it's during the week when it's though to get the time to go that distance. We've asked him to make sure we know about anything that gets scheduled for a weekend.

srx-hatch-damage-jpg.286964
Yeah, that's pretty nasty...
When our young'en bashed the fender in on the oldest car, I left it be (since he had to use it and it didn't impede the drivability.). Of course karma being what it is, I'm back to driving that one again and probably should'a done the work when it was more worth it. if any of the doors or hatches wouldn't close, like you, I'd be compelled to get it repaired.

No way!! I didn't know he was even performing/touring!
He takes the big-band out from time to time, and we just got to be on the tour this time.
Being one of my favorite pickers, I decided that I had to lay out the bucks for this one.
(not to mention that the Missus loves his stuff too, so I get points for taking her out on the town as well)

They don't put me to sleep either. I actually enjoy them. Just... the timing on this one could be a tad better.
Given your work "schedule" I'd think just about anything might be cause for you to doze off here and there.
It's my early week as well so I'm a mite deprived right now, but that horn line and Brian's Fender amps should do a nice job of keeping me alert this evening.

Morning all…

Going to see a very different concert this evening. The Brian Setzer Orchestra is in town tonight and a chance to see a picker that good, accompanied by a full swing band plus a show that will be heavy on seasonal tunes was just too good to

Yep…
Our boy “inherited” one of our older vehicles when he turned 17. It made getting him to all the various after school rehearsals and functions a good bit easier and got him through the first part of college as well. Funny thing is, we decided that he needed something a bit better this past year given the distance he travels and that car has now reverted back to being my daily driver. Good thing it’s dang near indestructible and that I still enjoy driving it.

Enjoy the concert. I bought that car new in 2004 and have maintained it since. It does need some cosmetic work - power window motor out & seat won't recline - but mechanically still strong.

Almost congrats to DD on being able to take over the chauffeur duties some and congrats on the ADR's. ]

Yes, looking forward to that, especially those 6:00 AM swim practices.

Congrats on the ADRs and good luck when DD starts to drive.

I might borrow that Crash nickname. I've had her driving in a nearby parking lot at off business hours. Good thing other cars weren't there.

Going over the can I or can't I.

Good luck. Seriously.

t is getting easier and easier to say chuck it.

Yeah. I can see that. Will see that more by morning.

Good luck, you have our full confidence.

:laughing: Thanks!

In the same boat. I can change tires jump start a car but when I get a rental I need to check out the manual to see how to open the gas tank.

He takes the big-band out from time to time, and we just got to be on the tour this time.
Being one of my favorite pickers, I decided that I had to lay out the bucks for this one.
(not to mention that the Missus loves his stuff too, so I get points for taking her out on the town as well)

I would go see that in a heartbeat.

Given your work "schedule" I'd think just about anything might be cause for you to doze off here and there.
It's my early week as well so I'm a mite deprived right now, but that horn line and Brian's Fender amps should do a nice job of keeping me alert this evening.

You would think that's what they are, based on what they charge.

Ridiculous. But... we’re captives.

Morning gents.
Crap am I tired.
Concert wasn't bad. But DD played last and I was fading by then. Still, I'd have to say that I enjoyed it.
Got about 20 minutes left of work then I can finally sleep. Sleeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Morning gents.
Crap am I tired.
Concert wasn't bad. But DD played last and I was fading by then. Still, I'd have to say that I enjoyed it.
Got about 20 minutes left of work then I can finally sleep. Sleeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Rest well, my friend.

Morning gents.
Crap am I tired.

Hope you are sleeping.

Top O the Mornin Dads!
Thanks Walt for your vision that has brought those of us here so many wonderful memories and continued enjoyment.
Glad you had a good time and nicely played earning some points with DW as well.
Morning gents.
Crap am I tired.
Good to hear the concert went well. Enjoy your nap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter