My last car payment is tomorrow!!!!!!

So far this year I have added:
  • $710 to my existing emergency fund
  • $376 to an existing long term savings goal that I have
  • $475 to my vacation fund
  • $400 to my Maid of Honor fund
  • $200 to my Christmas fund
for a total savings of: 2161

While that is nothing particularly noteworthy, I have also added approx. 2k to my 401k and HSA, paid off my car, paid off one credit card, and made a substantial payment on another. This leaves me with a approx. 2k in consumer debt left and my student loans.

I have a long way to go, but am making progress!

In other news, I've run 66.5 miles so far this year and I'm feeling confident about the Star Wars Rival Run 10k in April. Also, it looks like SWGE will be open during my October trip. I'm both really excited and also really nervous for the crowds!

We get $0 bonus so $50 and a tiny "Thanks" would be amazing!! We're lucky if they buy us pizza lunch which really can't get much cheaper.:rolleyes1

All of my previous jobs have been like that so I feel pretty lucky at this one to get a Christmas bonus. The last few years it's been 1k before taxes are taken out of it.

My last car payment is tomorrow!!!!!!

So far this year I have added:
  • $710 to my existing emergency fund
  • $376 to an existing long term savings goal that I have
  • $475 to my vacation fund
  • $400 to my Maid of Honor fund
  • $200 to my Christmas fund
for a total savings of: 2161

While that is nothing particularly noteworthy, I have also added approx. 2k to my 401k and HSA, paid off my car, paid off one credit card, and made a substantial payment on another. This leaves me with a approx. 2k in consumer debt left and my student loans.

I have a long way to go, but am making progress!

In other news, I've run 66.5 miles so far this year and I'm feeling confident about the Star Wars Rival Run 10k in April. Also, it looks like SWGE will be open during my October trip. I'm both really excited and also really nervous for the crowds!
That’s great goodbye car payment! I think those things are noteworthy!

Roth IRAs are funded and done this year, ESAs will be maxed also as I readjusted the monthly allocations. Not missing out on Roth investment as there is only one chance to do so and can’t look backwards. I’m considering having next year be the last at funding the ESA and focus on retirement funding solely.

I’m considering having next year be the last at funding the ESA and focus on retirement funding solely.

i think this can be a very wise decision. while i think it's admirable for parents to want/plan to help their kids with future college expenses i think far too many participants in these types of plans are shortchanging their own financial futures in this pursuit let alone those that are up to their eyeballs in debt and barely scrape by each month (or worse go deeper in debt:guilty:).

i think this can be a very wise decision. while i think it's admirable for parents to want/plan to help their kids with future college expenses i think far too many participants in these types of plans are shortchanging their own financial futures in this pursuit let alone those that are up to their eyeballs in debt and barely scrape by each month (or worse go deeper in debt:guilty:).
One thing we know for sure is that retirement will come no matter what.

Well I have paid off our remaining CC! Had to cancel one of our hotel bookings for Japan and rebooted with one that was pay on arrival so I put that money onto the CC debt and then only needed to scrimp an extra $100 from other places to pay off the total. (Namely DH's NFL game pass but he won't need money to renew that for a while).

So we have refinancing complete, money for our deck, 2 monthly payments ahead on our mortgage and the savings goal of Japan in September. Hope to get about $5k back in tax, DH doing casual work means he is taxed at the top rate when he works a full week but then has 12 weeks when school is out where he earns nothing. That should cover all our spending money and food so just have to save for the hotels and tickets in the next 6 months.

We get $0 bonus so $50 and a tiny "Thanks" would be amazing!! We're lucky if they buy us pizza lunch which really can't get much cheaper.:rolleyes1

Y’all are right. It is a great bonus and I’m grateful they still give them. From my DH’s co-workers who have been with the company for 20+ years, the bonuses are ‘much smaller’ than they used to be. But, it went from being owned by a couple of professors who created a niche company and gave ‘very generous’ bonuses to now being owned by an investment firm. Outside perspective helps to see they are still much more generous than many companies!

Speaking of bonuses, my hospital never gives bonuses either. However, for the first time since I have been employed there, they are giving a bonus which will be paid at the end of this month. It’s based on hours worked and ranges from $260- $1,160. Since I only work once or twice a week, mine will be at the lower end, but it’s a COMPLETE surprise we’re getting anything. Mine will go right into our WDW fund :mickeyjum

Just want to say to all of the parents of little ones out there... Senior year is soooo expensive. I swear every time I turn around there is another expense. I truly wish I had saved more (earmarked more) for this year. To be honest first semester wasn't too bad but second semester is a doozy! My breaking point was the $120 prom ticket. That's not a typo- ticket not tickets! On the plus side I told her that in no uncertain terms was I paying big money for prom shoes (her dress is quite full so they won't even be seen). She tried Plato's Closet but struck out. Headed off to DSW on a lark and found a pair that she loved on clearance. Originally $59.99 and we paid $23.99. I can live with that.

I keep thinking that next year will be cheaper but I know I'm just lying to myself!:rolleyes1

to all of the parents of little ones out there... Senior year is soooo expensive. I swear every time I turn around there is another expense. I truly wish I had saved more (earmarked more) for this year. To be honest first semester wasn't too bad but second semester is a doozy! My breaking point was the $120 prom ticket. That's not a typo- ticket not tickets!

i guess we were lucky b/c neither kiddo had anything that cost allot in high school. probably each's largest single expense was letterman's jackets (those suckers are EXPENSIVE) BUT they are offset by not needing to get new coats for a couple of years:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 the price for the prom ticket doesn't surprise me-they were $80 each when i graduated back in '79 but i agree, senior year between photos, announcements, dances, even small senior events (our high school doesn't do big senior trips) all adds up.

Dh and I ended up going for it and bought an iPad yesterday, plus 3 marvel movies we were wanting, to get us to the $399 subtotal for 12 months no interest at best buy. Our payments break down to $37 to have it paid off in 12 months which is totally doable. I'm sure I'll have it paid off before that though.

Just want to say to all of the parents of little ones out there... Senior year is soooo expensive. I swear every time I turn around there is another expense. I truly wish I had saved more (earmarked more) for this year. To be honest first semester wasn't too bad but second semester is a doozy! My breaking point was the $120 prom ticket. That's not a typo- ticket not tickets! On the plus side I told her that in no uncertain terms was I paying big money for prom shoes (her dress is quite full so they won't even be seen). She tried Plato's Closet but struck out. Headed off to DSW on a lark and found a pair that she loved on clearance. Originally $59.99 and we paid $23.99. I can live with that.

I keep thinking that next year will be cheaper but I know I'm just lying to myself!:rolleyes1
My senior year prom ticket was about that cost and that was over 10 years ago.

Oh my gosh, I can't remember 100% but I feel pretty sure my prom ticket was $50-$60 at the most in 2008. I don't even feel like it was that much, I kind of want to pull out my scrapbook and see if the price is on the ticket/invite when I get home.

I didn't even go to prom - the perks of being an introvert! I went to Homecoming once and was not a fan. :rotfl2:

i did'nt go either but i won 2 tickets so i hit up the activities dean and asked if i could get something else-i was told i could use the $160 value towards any other school sponsored activity. a friend wanted to go to grad night at disney land so i offered her the value in exchange for $140 cash. win-win.

We got back from WDW very early on Sunday morning due to a flight delay, so I am just starting to recover from it all and give you guys an update.

We had an awesome trip! DD loved all of the rides and shows that we went to. She also loved eating at all of the restaurants and for the most part she was really good. I think it was hard sometimes for her because there weren't a ton of opportunities for her to run around without the chance of her being trampled by crowds, but we tried our best to let her walk herself in the lines or play in more open areas. One highlight is that for Flower and Garden festival, they had playgrounds set up for younger kids. DD loved both of the playgrounds and it was nice to let her run around without worrying as much. After MK on Sunday and Monday, we went to Epcot on Tuesday, Animal Kingdom on Wednesday and Hollywood Studios on Thursday. Highlights for DD was Small World and Skipper Canteen at MK, Figment and meeting Tigger at Epcot, Kilimanjaro Safari and Festival of the Lion King at AK, and Indiana Jones Stunt Show at HS. I was able to snag us Flight of Passage fastpasses right before our dinner on Wednesday, so DH and I took turns. It was nice to finally get to try that ride. I was hoping to get a Slinky Dog Dash or Alien Saucers fastpass, but nothing popped up while we were there. And there aren't many rides that DD can do at HS due to height limits, so we left mid-afternoon and went to Epcot to do some Flower and Garden festival stuff. We ate around the world for dinner that night and again for lunch on Friday, then spent the rest of Friday at the Polynesian pool. And on Saturday we went to Disney Springs and ate at Maria and Enzo's with the 40% passholder discount. DH loved that place and was so glad that I booked it. He got the sea bass and I got the rigatoni. Both were super delicious.

Overall, we loved it and can't wait to go again in October. DH wants me to add up all of our dining expenses from this trip to decide if getting the Disney Dining Plan might make sense for us in October. DD mostly ate from our plates for meals and since she is under 3, we wouldn't have to buy a dining plan for her. DH mostly thinks it would be nice to have all of the snack credits for Food and Wine, plus he likes that he could get an alcoholic drink with his meals. That is a change from the last time we had the dining plan in 2014. I think it might make sense, but I won't know until I have time to deduct souvenirs costs from our overall expenses.

Last edited:
We got back from WDW very early on Sunday morning due to a flight delay, so I am just starting to recover from it all and give you guys an update.

We had an awesome trip! DD loved all of the rides and shows that we went to. She also loved eating at all of the restaurants and for the most part she was really good. I think it was hard sometimes for her because there weren't a ton of opportunities for her to run around without the chance of her being trampled by crowds, but we tried our best to let her walk herself in the lines or play in more open areas. One highlight is that for Flower and Garden festival, they had playgrounds set up for younger kids. DD loved both of the playgrounds and it was nice to let her run around without worrying as much. After MK on Sunday and Monday, we went to Epcot on Tuesday, Animal Kingdom on Wednesday and Hollywood Studios on Thursday. Highlights for DD was Small World and Skipper Canteen at MK, Figment and meeting Tigger at Epcot, Kilimanjaro Safari and Festival of the Lion King at AK, and Indian Jones Stunt Show at HS. I was able to snag us Flight of Passage fastpasses right before our dinner on Wednesday, so DH and I took turns. It was nice to finally get to try that ride. I was hoping to get a Slinky Dog Dash or Alien Saucers fastpass, but nothing popped up while we were there. And there aren't many rides that DD can do at HS due to height limits, so we left mid-afternoon and went to Epcot to do some Flower and Garden festival stuff. We ate around the world for dinner that night and again for lunch on Friday, then spent the rest of Friday at the Polynesian pool. And on Saturday we went to Disney Springs and ate at Maria and Enzo's with the 40% passholder discount. DH loved that place and was so glad that I booked it. He got the sea bass and I got the rigatoni. Both were super delicious.

Overall, we loved it and can't wait to go again in October. DH wants me to add up all of our dining expenses from this trip to decide if getting the Disney Dining Plan might make sense for us in October. DD mostly ate from our plates for meals and since she is under 3, we wouldn't have to buy a dining plan for her. DH mostly thinks it would be nice to have all of the snack credits for Food and Wine, plus he likes that he could get an alcoholic drink with his meals. That is a change from the last time we had the dining plan in 2014. I think it might make sense, but I won't know until I have time to deduct souvenirs costs from our overall expenses.

Been waiting for your report! Glad you guys had a great trip! We love the dining plan, but you definitely have to add up and determine whether you're going to be ordering the pricier option to make it worth it. We like to eat well when we're on vacation, so DDP has historically been a good value for us. I also don't like to have to think about pinching pennies once I'm on vacation. If I know I just have a "meal" to use, I'm more inclined to order the filet mignon, where it would be harder for me to justify it if I'm paying out of pocket.

Been waiting for your report! Glad you guys had a great trip! We love the dining plan, but you definitely have to add up and determine whether you're going to be ordering the pricier option to make it worth it. We like to eat well when we're on vacation, so DDP has historically been a good value for us. I also don't like to have to think about pinching pennies once I'm on vacation. If I know I just have a "meal" to use, I'm more inclined to order the filet mignon, where it would be harder for me to justify it if I'm paying out of pocket.

We did the Deluxe dining plan on our first trip together in 2014. Then in 2016 we decided that it was too much food and we should just pay out of pocket instead. We didn't limit ourselves at all. If we wanted the most expensive meal, we got it. We definitely ordered less food because appetizer, entree and dessert with every meal was just too much food. We compared costs and we spent less overall without the dining plan. But I am thinking now that the dining plan includes alcohol and DH likes to get a drink now and then on vacation, it would probably save us money. Plus we spent a decent amount on food at the Epcot festival booths, though I haven't added that all up yet. Having 28 snack credits to use towards Food and Wine would definitely help with the cost. And we plan to book 1 or 2 character meals as well, so given all of those factors I think that it might save us money this time around. It would cost $1057 for the regular dining plan and that is all that we would need, I think. Plus I think that my parents and brother are more inclined towards using the dining plan and that might actually simplify this larger group trip.

ETA: With the regular dining plan, it gives entree and dessert, but I thought I read somewhere that you could get an appetizer instead of dessert. Is that true? Because I think it would work out really well to have one of us get an appetizer to share and then the other get a dessert to share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter