Dismeet in the Smokies 2021! Y'all Come!

Choosing a name for our upcoming trip!

• Dismeet in the Smokies 2021

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Rocky Top Dismeet 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Pigeon Forge Dismeet 2021

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Dosmeet in the Mountains 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dis Mountain Meet 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Country Bear Vacation Hoedown 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got the camper back from maintenance work. It was at dealer 3 months. >:(

Still didn't get the repaint done on front cap. Still awaiting approval.

I got work to do!

The supply gathering has begun.
20210526_184930.jpg

Brought in all the utensils from out of camper and ran them all through dishwasher last night.
20210525_195240.jpg

Sent DW for Zingers... :sad2: Not Zingers. What does "labeled for resale" mean exactly?
20210526_190157.jpg

Made some adjustments to trip. By luck, @SouthAlabama5er and myself will depart a day early. We plan stop overnight at the halfway point which is about Fort Payne, AL. Desoto State Park, which a few of you have stayed at before.

One week til the first arrivals!

View attachment 577747

Brought in all the utensils from out of camper and ran them all through dishwasher last night.
View attachment 577748

Sent DW for Zingers... :sad2: Not Zingers. What does "labeled for resale" mean exactly?
View attachment 577758

Made some adjustments to trip. By luck, @SouthAlabama5er and myself will depart a day early. We plan stop overnight at the halfway point which is about Fort Payne, AL. Desoto State Park, which a few of you have stayed at before.

One week til the first arrivals!

The campground for Desoto SP is across the road from the lodge. Little River Canyon Falls is not far away. It's all on top of Lookout Mountain that runs southwest from Chattanooga area down through Georgia through Fort Payne down to Gadsden. It's like a high flat plateau that's about 20 miles wide and 50 miles long. Many good hiking trails in that area. Have a good time up there before you arrive at PF.

Our Boy Scout troop went to summer camp two summers at Camp Comer up on the mountain between DeSoto SP and the town of Mentone up there on the bluff.

Tik tok. :hourglass See you baws soon.

Ed

PS - coming in to the Fort Payne area off the southern exit #218 of I59 you will pass the Country Music Supergroup ALABAMA's Fan Club and Museum. Good spot to absorb a little Dixieland Delight ....

... with those edgy not-allowed-on-tv-per-FCC-rules lyrics that us fans add in between the official song lyrics. Anyway, the Museum has the original hit song and history.

Last edited:

View attachment 577758

"Labeled for Resale" means the box shown is meant to be set out in a convenience store setting with the top ripped off so customers can buy individual Muffin Styx packages (apparently 8 double muffin packs in that box) and check them out at the register. Were these purchased at a warehouse store (Costco/Sams/etc.)?

I've got a box of Twinkies ready to go but honestly each wrapped Tw is the size of a fat (Victory over 10RC) cigar. Not the same size they used to be.

Ed

PS - changed my football season ticket seat location today. Better for the long term.

Last edited:
"Labeled for Resale" means the box shown is meant to be set out in a convenience store setting with the top ripped off so customers can buy individual Muffin Styx packages (apparently 8 double muffin packs in that box) and check them out at the register. Were these purchased at a warehouse store (Costco/Sams/etc.)?

I've got a box of Twinkies ready to go but honestly each wrapped Tw is the size of a fat (Victory over 10RC) cigar. Not the same size they used to be.

Ed

PS - changed my football season ticket seat location today. Better for the long term.
Yeah, Sam's. They didn't have the Zingers. We'll grab those at WM.

DW requested Randy bring her some moonpies from Mobile. Did you folks know in Mobile, at new years, instead of crystal ball dropping at midnight its a large moonpie?

200-1.gif

Yeah, Sam's. They didn't have the Zingers. We'll grab those at WM.
Sam's used to sell cases of the 3 pack chocolate Zingers. I guess about 6 months ago they just disappeared. :confused3 Completely changed my late night routine of a cold glass of milk and a pack of Zingers before bedtime. We........:duck:ok....I now enjoy the 3 pack of Donettes donuts and a cold glass of milk before bedtime. Chocolate of course. The powdered donuts just disappear on their own......not sure how that happens.......:duck:

577786 577785

Steve

For those coming in from the South (up I-75), what route are you taking?

Google says the "fastest" is to come up to I-40, through Knoxville and down the main drag through Sevierville. I thought many of you have talked about taking 321 at Lenoir City and Wears Valley.

I'll be coming across I-40 from Nashville and I really don't like taking I-40 through K'ville and then running with 10,000 of my friends down 66. I can take the 321 exit off I-40 and then come through Maryville and Wears Valley. Google says it is about 15 minutes longer(almost exactly the same distance). I know Wears Valley has a couple of tight, curvy places. I have driven it a couple of times in my truck (without trailer) and I don't remember it being bad.

Most of you know my towing experience. What are your thoughts bringing the coach in 321, remembering I'll have a car trailer with the RS on it.

j

DW requested Randy bring her some moonpies from Mobile
FYI, at the Tennessee Shine Company (several locations in PF), they sell Moonpies and Moonpie flavored moonshine. Also, if Randy can't find any, I should be able to here.

I'll also go on a hunt for Zingers this weekend. Anything else y'all (you all) need from the south? :rotfl2:

I can take the 321 exit off I-40 and then come through Maryville and Wears Valley.
I prefer that route too but haven't been brave enough to take it with the camper. There's only one area I worry about and it's those tight s curves right in the middle of Wears Valley. I've seen people take it in campers but it's definitely, as my dad always called it, those turns where the horse is eating hay from the wagon behind him. I-40 through Knoxville is stressful but I've gotten used to it.

The s-curve in question is Papaw's Hollow.. They actually improved it several years ago, but it is not as bad as some folks think if you just take your time. It is an s curve as you go uphill.

It's how I go. That nightmare of traffic and lights in Knoxville and Sevierville is stupid. Going 100 yards in bumper to bumper traffic with a light every couple blocks is something I have said before I'll never suffer again unless I'm going in an off season.

Myself and @SouthAlabama5er (with his toy hauler) will be rampaging in from that route.

The curve going south:
Screenshot_20210527-105924_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20210527-105939_Maps.jpgScreenshot_20210527-105951_Maps.jpg

There is wide inside paved area that they added so folks with trailers could make the turn and not hit trailer on rail.

Last edited:
@Teamubr you know my position, not doing it. However i know your ability and i bet you could handle it. Bert is starting to think he might able to but it really freaks me out. While I hate the bumper to bumper traffic on 66/441, that is why we are arriving on Thursday :).

The s-curve in question is Papaw's Hollow.. They actually improved it several years ago, but it is not as bad as some folks think if you just take your time. It is an s curve as you go uphill.

That nightmare of traffic and lights in Knoxville and Sevierville is stupid. Going 100 yards in bumper to bumper traffic with a light every couple blocks is something I have said before I'll never suffer again unless I'm going in an off season.
It is better now that they have added lanes and split north and southbound through Sevierville, but still totally frustrating on check in days.
There is wide inside paved area that they added so folks with trailers could make the turn and not hit trailer on rail.
Not hitting the rail is a plus. I have run it several times on Google street view and it looks like there is just the few miles after Townsend that are the "bad" part. I can do anything for 5-10 miles.
@Teamubr you know my position, not doing it. Bert is starting to think he might able to but it really freaks me out.
That's part of the issue is keeping Donna calm. I'll have to send Donna to the back of the coach. She does that when I'm backing in or out of the driveway. I'll take my time and I think it will be fine.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter