Disney MagicMobile Service is Here!

Does anyone know if they are phasing out the Bands completely???
Nobody "knows" anything.
But based on past situations from Disney... they do tend to drop the "previous" technology after fully adopting a "new" technology.

WHEN?
Nobody knows.

Nobody "knows" anything.
But based on past situations from Disney... they do tend to drop the "previous" technology after fully adopting a "new" technology.

WHEN?
Nobody knows.

Thanks. I am good at keeping up, and yet didn't "know."
Good to hear that no one else "knows" either.
I hope they don't do it. Hands-free when treking WDW is the best.

I know that Disney is going to implement the usage of the DISNEY GENIE app.
But if I am not going back until MAY 2022... would this mean that I am going to be handling my cell phone to do everything?

To pay for a meal, pay for a purchase, a mere snack, park and ressie tickets, the key to my room, etc.

This new app is all fine and well, but I for one only use my Phone to look for a new fast pass or take a picture. Otherwise I am comfortable keeping in my cell phone in my tote bag and not having to take it out.

I actually LOVE having that band on my wrist and doing everything via that TOUCH / DONE mechanism.

Will we have a choice or are they going to do away with the Magic Band?
I just purchased the 5 Dollar band for my next visit in 2022 - and I don't mind paying a couple of dollars for the band. But I do mind if they are going to get rid of the utter convenience of the hands-free wrist Magic Band.

I may even take out my phone more than I realize. But even with that said - that's not the same as having to have it in my hand.

Does anyone know if they are phasing out the Bands completely???
The official announcement on the Disney Parks Blog says straight out that “Guests may choose to use Disney MagicMobile service or a MagicBand – pick whichever option works best for you during your visit.” So for the foreseeable future, at least, you can still use a MB. Besides, given how many $$ Disney makes selling the special MBs, I can’t see them discontinuing that revenue stream!

Nobody "knows" anything.

WHEN?
Nobody knows.

Thanks. I am good at keeping up, and yet didn't "know."
Good to hear that no one else "knows" either.
I hope they don't do it. Hands-free when treking WDW is the best.
I hope they decide via one of their guest surveys and people make note that they prefer hands free.
When standing in line at the gate... I really don't want my cell phone out.

This seems a little backwards to me. Why go from using touch-only with MB to using a phone for everything? I had to use my phone to unlock our doors (2 rooms) when we checked in and it was such a pain that the first thing I did was go to the POP gift shop and buy 7 MB for all of us. Plus, they keep rolling out new MB colors and designs, so why do this if they are just going to phase it out. Maybe they are doing the app since they are no longer supplying free MB and want it for guests who don't want to buy MB?

The official announcement on the Disney Parks Blog says straight out that “Guests may choose to use Disney MagicMobile service or a MagicBand – pick whichever option works best for you during your visit.” So for the foreseeable future, at least, you can still use a MB. Besides, given how many $$ Disney makes selling the special MBs, I can’t see them discontinuing that revenue stream!

Well, that got by me in the articles that I've read. I did read them in a hurry, and I focused on Phasing Out Of Magic Bands. Maybe I only saw what I EXPECTED to see!
This is great news!
Thanks for the info!

This seems a little backwards to me. Why go from using touch-only with MB to using a phone for everything? I had to use my phone to unlock our doors (2 rooms) when we checked in and it was such a pain that the first thing I did was go to the POP gift shop and buy 7 MB for all of us. Plus, they keep rolling out new MB colors and designs, so why do this if they are just going to phase it out. Maybe they are doing the app since they are no longer supplying free MB and want it for guests who don't want to buy MB?

Makes sense.
See what Carolyn FH posted!

Well, that got by me in the articles that I've read. I did read them in a hurry, and I focused on Phasing Out Of Magic Bands. Maybe I only saw what I EXPECTED to see!
This is great news!
Thanks for the info!

And there was one more line in that blog post that is even more encouraging for MagicBand fans: "We’ll also soon be introducing more MagicBands in trendy new colors and fun designs featuring favorite Disney characters and stories."

When checking in are they still giving out the credit card door keys or you have to use your phone?

And there was one more line in that blog post that is even more encouraging for MagicBand fans: "We’ll also soon be introducing more MagicBands in trendy new colors and fun designs featuring favorite Disney characters and stories."
Great!
The 5 dollar one i just got is a pale dusty Pink, not like pink from the original MB set.
I love it. It's gorgeous. Not sure which design, but I'm going to visit the MAGIC YOUR BAND site and get a matching skin for it. May just go on and get the plain red with white Polka dots (minnie).

Disney will always have to offer an option other than Smartphones for anything-there will always be a handful of Guests without them.

Yes. This certainly makes sense..
To be honest. I remember the card entry days. I'd be more open to going back to that than pulling out my cell phone all the time.

Yes. This certainly makes sense..
To be honest. I remember the card entry days. I'd be more open to going back to that than pulling out my cell phone all the time.

I agree. There are so many issues with phones, from international guests with incompatible phones/plans, to people who don’t use smartphones, to people who use older smartphones that are not compatible with newer tech. When you are relying on the guest to provide the hardware, there has to be a viable backup option. I would much rather use a card than my phone.

I agree. There are so many issues with phones, from international guests with incompatible phones/plans, to people who don’t use smartphones, to people who use older smartphones that are not compatible with newer tech. When you are relying on the guest to provide the hardware, there has to be a viable backup option. I would much rather use a card than my phone.

"...relying on the guest to provide the hardware, there has to be a viable backup option..."

Exactly!

I believe that this is all about money...they could not keep giving away free MagicBands with resort stays (especially after the Pandemic closure:costs). It eats into the profits - the bands and the shipping.

they needed a way to offer touch free (all the rage post pandemic!!) and the cell phone is a natural option, and the KTTW Cards are super cheap to give out at the resort.

I don’t think you will see MB go away - just FREE MB’s will never return because there are lower cost FREE items available to disney now.

many family of 4 travels in April - we all purchased MB. We all prefer them to using our phones and most importantly don’t want to deal with being locked out of our rooms because we had a dead phone battery. We are also okay with the KTTW Cards but MB are easier room keys for my kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter